|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The landscape at the top of the cliffs reminds the Ranger Company of what?
2. What poet does Ambrose quote on the last page of the book?
3. What has knocked out Jahnke's fortifications at Exit 2?
4. Sgt. Harrison Summers became known as the _____ of World War II.
5. What accidentally gets eaten in England before they can be put aboard a plane to Normandy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does "Rangers Lead the Way" become an official motto?
2. How do the Canadian divisions fare on Juno Beach?
3. How do the warships contribute to D-Day?
4. How is the situation with the wounded on D-Day unique in military history?
5. How is the movie The Longest Day inaccurate?
6. What happens when a signalman mistakenly thinks the Vierville steeple is an observation point?
7. What is the story of Jacqueline Thornton on Sword Beach?
8. What is the "best ally" the Allies had lost by dawn of D-Day?
9. What are the Allies' mistakes during D-Day?
10. What do Americans criticize the British for after the events of D-Day are analyzed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the backgrounds, careers, and leadership styles of Rommel and Eisenhower. How are their places in history both unique to the men and universal to the responsibility thrust upon them?
Essay Topic 2
The reporter Ernie Pyle said, "We did it with every advantage on the enemy's side and every disadvantage on ours." What are the advantages of the German Army? What are the disadvantages for the Allies? How does this make the victory more miraculous and the loss more devastating?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the divisions among lines of nationality, ethnicity, and faith among the Allied troops.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)