Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ambrose starts the chapter about the home front with a story about boys from ________ getting ready to ship out.
2. Lt. Col. James Earl Rudder is the leader of ___________.
3. Which German commander is wounded by shrapnel and taken aboard an Allied medical ship?
4. The Red Cross in America collects a record amount of _________ on D-Day.
5. What do the Canadians give away to other troops because they expect to be evacuated?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the enormous task of committing this historical day to the page. What effect is created with the divisions of chapters? Where do the chapter titles originate? What is the overall effect for the reader created by Ambrose?
Essay Topic 2
Is Ambrose a fair narrator, giving his momentous subject the historical perspective and personal touch it calls for?
Essay Topic 3
Ernie Pyle wrote in 1944: "In this column I want to tell you what the opening of the second front entailed, so that you can know and appreciate and forever be humbly grateful to those both dead and alive who did it for you." Why is it important for the story of D-Day to be told to future generations? What aspect of the American character does this day embody?
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)