|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men are sent with Sgt. Harrison Summers to capture the German barracks WXYZ?
2. Many of the medics on D-Day are actually what?
3. How many troops drop into Normandy on D-Day?
4. Who is commander of the Allied Forces in Europe during World War I?
5. What is the deepest the Allies penetrate the French coast on D-Day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story of Jacqueline Thornton on Sword Beach?
2. Why do the Germans surrender Utah beach?
3. Why do the Rangers of the 116th A Company quickly lose their cockiness as they approach Omaha Beach?
4. How is the movie The Longest Day inaccurate?
5. How does Eisenhower describe his feelings to Walter Cronkite 20 years after the invasion?
6. What are the Allies' mistakes during D-Day?
7. What happens to Capt. John Tillett and his prized carrier pigeons?
8. Who are the POWs that the 2nd Battalion, 16th Regiment see being lead toward them at first light?
9. How do the warships contribute to D-Day?
10. How does World War II dramatically change the lives of women on the home front?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ernie Pyle wrote in 1944: "In this column I want to tell you what the opening of the second front entailed, so that you can know and appreciate and forever be humbly grateful to those both dead and alive who did it for you." Why is it important for the story of D-Day to be told to future generations? What aspect of the American character does this day embody?
Essay Topic 2
The book is largely told through the voices of the men who survived the fight. Choose two or three stories in particular to discuss the impact they had on the reader and the overall story of D-Day.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the home fronts and the dramatic changes the war brought to the fabric of the various nations involved.
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)