|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does OWI stand for?
2. How long do the Canadians spend in Normandy?
3. What is the approximate number of Allied casualties from D-Day?
4. What is the 5th Ranger Battalion's objective?
5. Ambrose starts the chapter about the home front with a story about boys from ________ getting ready to ship out.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Rangers of the 116th A Company quickly lose their cockiness as they approach Omaha Beach?
2. What happens to Capt. John Tillett and his prized carrier pigeons?
3. How do the Canadian divisions fare on Juno Beach?
4. What are the Allies' mistakes during D-Day?
5. What do Americans criticize the British for after the events of D-Day are analyzed?
6. How does Eisenhower describe his feelings to Walter Cronkite 20 years after the invasion?
7. How do the warships contribute to D-Day?
8. Who are the POWs that the 2nd Battalion, 16th Regiment see being lead toward them at first light?
9. How does World War II dramatically change the lives of women on the home front?
10. What happens when a signalman mistakenly thinks the Vierville steeple is an observation point?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the German chain of command completely dysfunctional, leading directly to utter defeat?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the home fronts and the dramatic changes the war brought to the fabric of the various nations involved.
Essay Topic 3
It is said that the war was won with British brains and American brawn. What are the differences between the armed forces of the two countries and how do their strengths and weaknesses contribute to victory?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)