|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men are under General Bradley's command?
2. Of the 2,400 tons of supplies scheduled to reach Omaha Beach, how much gets ashore?
3. How long does it take Ranger Company to get most of the men to the top of the cliffs at Omaha?
4. Sgt. Harrison Summers became known as the _____ of World War II.
5. What does OWI stand for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Capt. John Tillett and his prized carrier pigeons?
2. Who are the POWs that the 2nd Battalion, 16th Regiment see being lead toward them at first light?
3. How does Eisenhower describe his feelings to Walter Cronkite 20 years after the invasion?
4. What are the Allies' mistakes during D-Day?
5. Who is the "Sergeant York of World War II"?
6. How is Omaha Beach constituted to give advantage to the Germans?
7. Why do the Germans surrender Utah beach?
8. How do the Canadian divisions fare on Juno Beach?
9. What is the story of Jacqueline Thornton on Sword Beach?
10. What else is happening with the Eisenhower family on June 6, 1944?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Considering how the plans had to be quickly abandoned once the invasion began, what purpose if any do the months of planning serve?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the errors made by the Allies on D-Day. What would have made the greatest difference to the outcome, particularly to the loss of life, if it had been done differently?
Essay Topic 3
The book is largely told through the voices of the men who survived the fight. Choose two or three stories in particular to discuss the impact they had on the reader and the overall story of D-Day.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)