|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the troops call their inflatable life vests?
2. The objective of Ranger Company is taking ___________.
3. What is the 5th Ranger Battalion's objective?
4. What does "Nous Restons Ici" mean?
5. What do the Canadians give away to other troops because they expect to be evacuated?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Omaha Beach constituted to give advantage to the Germans?
2. How is the movie The Longest Day inaccurate?
3. How does Captain Rich assemble his plane after arriving on Omaha Beach?
4. What are the Allies' mistakes during D-Day?
5. How does Eisenhower describe his feelings to Walter Cronkite 20 years after the invasion?
6. What is the "best ally" the Allies had lost by dawn of D-Day?
7. Why do the Rangers of the 116th A Company quickly lose their cockiness as they approach Omaha Beach?
8. How do the Canadian divisions fare on Juno Beach?
9. Why do the Germans surrender Utah beach?
10. What happens to Capt. John Tillett and his prized carrier pigeons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ernie Pyle wrote in 1944: "In this column I want to tell you what the opening of the second front entailed, so that you can know and appreciate and forever be humbly grateful to those both dead and alive who did it for you." Why is it important for the story of D-Day to be told to future generations? What aspect of the American character does this day embody?
Essay Topic 2
How does the image of a young soldier beside someone whose dead hand bobs, "Cornelia Otis Skinner's Our Hearts Were Young and Gay" capture the essence of what happened on D-day?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the errors made by the Allies on D-Day. What would have made the greatest difference to the outcome, particularly to the loss of life, if it had been done differently?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)