|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do the Canadians spend in Normandy?
2. What do the troops call their inflatable life vests?
3. What are "Hobart's Funnies"?
4. The objective of Ranger Company is taking ___________.
5. How long does it take the Germans to erect the Atlantic Wall?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story of Jacqueline Thornton on Sword Beach?
2. How does World War II dramatically change the lives of women on the home front?
3. What happens when a signalman mistakenly thinks the Vierville steeple is an observation point?
4. What happens to Capt. John Tillett and his prized carrier pigeons?
5. How is the situation with the wounded on D-Day unique in military history?
6. Why do the Germans surrender Utah beach?
7. What are the Allies' mistakes during D-Day?
8. How does "Rangers Lead the Way" become an official motto?
9. How is the movie The Longest Day inaccurate?
10. How does Captain Rich assemble his plane after arriving on Omaha Beach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the errors made by the Allies on D-Day. What would have made the greatest difference to the outcome, particularly to the loss of life, if it had been done differently?
Essay Topic 2
It is said that the war was won with British brains and American brawn. What are the differences between the armed forces of the two countries and how do their strengths and weaknesses contribute to victory?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the preparation for the invasion made by the Germans and the Allies. What explains the Germans' lackadaisical approach to preparing for the coming Allied invasion?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)