|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do the Canadians spend in Normandy?
2. People at home wait and pray that who does not knock on their door?
3. What do the troops use to blow holes in the barbed wire?
4. How high are the French hedgerows?
5. What causes most of the casualties on Utah Beach?
Short Essay Questions
1. What else is happening with the Eisenhower family on June 6, 1944?
2. What do Americans criticize the British for after the events of D-Day are analyzed?
3. Why do the Rangers of the 116th A Company quickly lose their cockiness as they approach Omaha Beach?
4. How is the situation with the wounded on D-Day unique in military history?
5. How is the movie The Longest Day inaccurate?
6. Who are the POWs that the 2nd Battalion, 16th Regiment see being lead toward them at first light?
7. How does Captain Rich assemble his plane after arriving on Omaha Beach?
8. Who is the "Sergeant York of World War II"?
9. What are the Allies' mistakes during D-Day?
10. How does "Rangers Lead the Way" become an official motto?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the backgrounds, careers, and leadership styles of Rommel and Eisenhower. How are their places in history both unique to the men and universal to the responsibility thrust upon them?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the divisions among lines of nationality, ethnicity, and faith among the Allied troops.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the days before the battle on the German side versus all that was going on with the Allies. What are the German leaders doing in those early days of June 1944 versus the flurry of activities on the Allies' part?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)