|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does UDT stand for?
2. At what hour do most of the tanks roll ashore?
3. The objective of Ranger Company is taking ___________.
4. Which German commander is wounded by shrapnel and taken aboard an Allied medical ship?
5. Sgt. Harrison Summers became known as the _____ of World War II.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Captain Rich assemble his plane after arriving on Omaha Beach?
2. What happens when a signalman mistakenly thinks the Vierville steeple is an observation point?
3. How is the situation with the wounded on D-Day unique in military history?
4. What do Americans criticize the British for after the events of D-Day are analyzed?
5. Why do the Germans surrender Utah beach?
6. How does World War II dramatically change the lives of women on the home front?
7. How does "Rangers Lead the Way" become an official motto?
8. What is the "best ally" the Allies had lost by dawn of D-Day?
9. What is the story of Jacqueline Thornton on Sword Beach?
10. How do the warships contribute to D-Day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does using the memories of the men who took part in D-Day affect the integrity of the narrative? What are some possible distortions or misrepresentations in Ambrose's telling of D-Day?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the home fronts and the dramatic changes the war brought to the fabric of the various nations involved.
Essay Topic 3
How does the image of a young soldier beside someone whose dead hand bobs, "Cornelia Otis Skinner's Our Hearts Were Young and Gay" capture the essence of what happened on D-day?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)