|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many weeks after D-Day do the Allies capture Caen?
2. The landscape at the top of the cliffs reminds the Ranger Company of what?
3. How long does it take the Germans to erect the Atlantic Wall?
4. Which German commander is wounded by shrapnel and taken aboard an Allied medical ship?
5. What are Sherman tanks also know as?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the POWs that the 2nd Battalion, 16th Regiment see being lead toward them at first light?
2. How do the Canadian divisions fare on Juno Beach?
3. What happens when a signalman mistakenly thinks the Vierville steeple is an observation point?
4. Why do the Germans surrender Utah beach?
5. What is the "best ally" the Allies had lost by dawn of D-Day?
6. Why do the Rangers of the 116th A Company quickly lose their cockiness as they approach Omaha Beach?
7. How does Eisenhower describe his feelings to Walter Cronkite 20 years after the invasion?
8. How is the movie The Longest Day inaccurate?
9. What do Americans criticize the British for after the events of D-Day are analyzed?
10. How does Captain Rich assemble his plane after arriving on Omaha Beach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the home fronts and the dramatic changes the war brought to the fabric of the various nations involved.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the unifying themes of the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the errors made by the Allies on D-Day. What would have made the greatest difference to the outcome, particularly to the loss of life, if it had been done differently?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)