|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is commander of the Allied Forces in Europe during World War I?
2. What is Sgt. Harrison Summers awarded for his bravery in taking the German barracks?
3. At what hour do most of the tanks roll ashore?
4. What are "Hobart's Funnies"?
5. Many of the medics on D-Day are actually what?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the unifying themes of the book.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the days before the battle on the German side versus all that was going on with the Allies. What are the German leaders doing in those early days of June 1944 versus the flurry of activities on the Allies' part?
Essay Topic 3
Ernie Pyle wrote in 1944: "In this column I want to tell you what the opening of the second front entailed, so that you can know and appreciate and forever be humbly grateful to those both dead and alive who did it for you." Why is it important for the story of D-Day to be told to future generations? What aspect of the American character does this day embody?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)