|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name for the naval demolition teams?
2. Which German commander is faulted for the Allies taking Omaha Beach?
3. What is the deepest the Allies penetrate the French coast on D-Day?
4. What do many of the troops use as a shield on the beaches?
5. Who is commander of the Allied Forces in Europe during World War I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the Allies' mistakes during D-Day?
2. What else is happening with the Eisenhower family on June 6, 1944?
3. Why do the Germans surrender Utah beach?
4. How does Eisenhower describe his feelings to Walter Cronkite 20 years after the invasion?
5. Why do the Rangers of the 116th A Company quickly lose their cockiness as they approach Omaha Beach?
6. What is the story of Jacqueline Thornton on Sword Beach?
7. What is the "best ally" the Allies had lost by dawn of D-Day?
8. What happens to Capt. John Tillett and his prized carrier pigeons?
9. How does World War II dramatically change the lives of women on the home front?
10. How does "Rangers Lead the Way" become an official motto?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the divisions among lines of nationality, ethnicity, and faith among the Allied troops.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the days before the battle on the German side versus all that was going on with the Allies. What are the German leaders doing in those early days of June 1944 versus the flurry of activities on the Allies' part?
Essay Topic 3
The reporter Ernie Pyle said, "We did it with every advantage on the enemy's side and every disadvantage on ours." What are the advantages of the German Army? What are the disadvantages for the Allies? How does this make the victory more miraculous and the loss more devastating?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)