|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does LCA stand for?
2. What is the approximate number of Allied casualties from D-Day?
3. Sgt. Harrison Summers became known as the _____ of World War II.
4. Many of the medics on D-Day are actually what?
5. Which German commander is faulted for the Allies taking Omaha Beach?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Americans criticize the British for after the events of D-Day are analyzed?
2. Who is the "Sergeant York of World War II"?
3. How do the warships contribute to D-Day?
4. What happens when a signalman mistakenly thinks the Vierville steeple is an observation point?
5. Why do the Germans surrender Utah beach?
6. How is the situation with the wounded on D-Day unique in military history?
7. How does Eisenhower describe his feelings to Walter Cronkite 20 years after the invasion?
8. How is Omaha Beach constituted to give advantage to the Germans?
9. How does "Rangers Lead the Way" become an official motto?
10. How do the Canadian divisions fare on Juno Beach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the errors made by the Allies on D-Day. What would have made the greatest difference to the outcome, particularly to the loss of life, if it had been done differently?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the home fronts and the dramatic changes the war brought to the fabric of the various nations involved.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the divisions among lines of nationality, ethnicity, and faith among the Allied troops.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)