|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does SOS stand for?
2. What compounds Germany's strategic problems as the war goes on?
3. Who are considered the knights in shining armor of World War II?
4. Who has the greatest doubts about the probability of D-Day success until witnessing the dress rehearsal?
5. Who are the "Old Ladies"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the Allied troops entertained in the weeks leading up to the invasion?
2. What causes the panzer unit to arrive fourteen days late to Normandy?
3. How is the "Transportation Plan" viewed by experts after the war?
4. What are the "sausages" the Allies refer to?
5. What is the Allies' "Transportation Plan" versus the "Oil Plan"?
6. What are the plans for taking Omaha beach?
7. What are the striking differences between Rommel and Eisenhower?
8. What does Eisenhower say in the orders given out as troops head to the invasion site?
9. What efforts does Rommel make to defend the French coastline in addition to the Atlantic Wall?
10. Why is the Calvados coast of Normandy chosen as the landing site for the D-Day invasion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the image of a young soldier beside someone whose dead hand bobs, "Cornelia Otis Skinner's Our Hearts Were Young and Gay" capture the essence of what happened on D-day?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Operation Fortitude was an integral part of the success of D-Day.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the divisions among lines of nationality, ethnicity, and faith among the Allied troops.
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)