|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the Allies want the Germans to believe the D-Day invasion would be?
2. What is the name of the command group in charge of planning D-Day?
3. What is Rommel given command of in 1940?
4. Where does Eisenhower go to college?
5. Which American commander stands up and symbolically throws the thick book of D-Day plans over his shoulder?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the panzer unit to arrive fourteen days late to Normandy?
2. What is Rommel doing in the days before the invasion?
3. What are the Allies' mistakes during D-Day?
4. What happens with the three bridges the Allies had predetermined to destroy in the opening phase of the invasion?
5. How do the Canadian divisions fare on Juno Beach?
6. What are the striking differences between Rommel and Eisenhower?
7. How do the warships contribute to D-Day?
8. What is the "best ally" the Allies had lost by dawn of D-Day?
9. What is the story of Jacqueline Thornton on Sword Beach?
10. Who is Pvt. Franz Gockel and what is his view the morning of the invasion?
Essay Topic 1
The reporter Ernie Pyle said, "We did it with every advantage on the enemy's side and every disadvantage on ours." What are the advantages of the German Army? What are the disadvantages for the Allies? How does this make the victory more miraculous and the loss more devastating?
Essay Topic 2
It is said that the war was won with British brains and American brawn. What are the differences between the armed forces of the two countries and how do their strengths and weaknesses contribute to victory?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the preparation for the invasion made by the Germans and the Allies. What explains the Germans' lackadaisical approach to preparing for the coming Allied invasion?
This section contains 1,422 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)