|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time does the German radar finally spot the Allied fleet?
2. What do the Germans guarding the artillery posts do to pass time in April and May?
3. Where does Eisenhower spend most of 1943 commanding troops?
4. Where do Roosevelt and Churchill meet with Stalin in 1943?
5. What is the code name for the Allies' elaborate plan to fool the Germans about D-Day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Rommel doing in the days before the invasion?
2. What goes wrong with many of the paratroopers' jumps during the invasion?
3. What purpose does the British Double Cross System serve in the war?
4. How do the British gather intelligence about the French coast?
5. What are the two problems the Allies face when planning to fight the Germans on the French coast?
6. What is the experience of the troops in the Higgins boats as they are boarded to take part in the invasion?
7. What is operation Fortitude?
8. What are the similarities in the backgrounds of Eisenhower and Rommel?
9. How does the British airborne fare in comparison to the dismal deployment of the American paratroopers?
10. What are the "sausages" the Allies refer to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ernie Pyle wrote in 1944: "In this column I want to tell you what the opening of the second front entailed, so that you can know and appreciate and forever be humbly grateful to those both dead and alive who did it for you." Why is it important for the story of D-Day to be told to future generations? What aspect of the American character does this day embody?
Essay Topic 2
The reporter Ernie Pyle said, "We did it with every advantage on the enemy's side and every disadvantage on ours." What are the advantages of the German Army? What are the disadvantages for the Allies? How does this make the victory more miraculous and the loss more devastating?
Essay Topic 3
How is the German chain of command completely dysfunctional, leading directly to utter defeat?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)