|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Eisenhower go to college?
2. Allies take a soil sample from the proposed landing site hoping not to find _________.
3. What does Eisenhower believe is a skill that could be learned and not an art?
4. What is Maj. John Howard's D Company known as?
5. Where do Rommel and Eisenhower first engage in battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the British airborne fare in comparison to the dismal deployment of the American paratroopers?
2. What are the similarities in the backgrounds of Eisenhower and Rommel?
3. What plans do the Allies make to breach the Atlantic Wall?
4. Why does Hitler order German physicists to abandon work on developing the atomic bomb?
5. How does Hitler misjudge the need for fighter jets over bombers?
6. What effect does World War II have on the American economy?
7. How is the "Transportation Plan" viewed by experts after the war?
8. How do the British gather intelligence about the French coast?
9. What are the two problems the Allies face when planning to fight the Germans on the French coast?
10. What is the first movement of the invasion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Operation Fortitude was an integral part of the success of D-Day.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the errors made by the Allies on D-Day. What would have made the greatest difference to the outcome, particularly to the loss of life, if it had been done differently?
Essay Topic 3
The book is largely told through the voices of the men who survived the fight. Choose two or three stories in particular to discuss the impact they had on the reader and the overall story of D-Day.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)