|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the command group in charge of planning D-Day?
2. Who says that the Allies' best chance is the "blast"?
3. The area on the French coast between the beach and the bluffs was called the ___________.
4. Who is praised by Eisenhower as "the man who won the war for us"?
5. What are B-17s known as?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plans do the Allies make to breach the Atlantic Wall?
2. What happens with the three bridges the Allies had predetermined to destroy in the opening phase of the invasion?
3. What is the role of the normally heralded fighter pilots?
4. How do the commanders and leaders feel about the D-Day plans by the time of the May 15 dress rehearsal?
5. Why does Hitler believe an Anglo-American offensive poses a greater threat to Germany than the Russians?
6. What is Rommel doing in the days before the invasion?
7. While the Allies train obsessively, how are the Germans conducting training?
8. What are the striking differences between Rommel and Eisenhower?
9. What is the Allies' "Transportation Plan" versus the "Oil Plan"?
10. What are the two problems the Allies face when planning to fight the Germans on the French coast?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ambrose says in the Prologue that his book is about the young men who were molded by the 20's and 30's to become the heroes of D-Day. Discuss what he means by this.
Essay Topic 2
It is said that the war was won with British brains and American brawn. What are the differences between the armed forces of the two countries and how do their strengths and weaknesses contribute to victory?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Operation Fortitude was an integral part of the success of D-Day.
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)