|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are B-24s known as?
2. More than 40 years later, what does German commander Luck believe would have been key to turning the battle?
3. What would be the perfect, yet too obvious, landing site for the D-Day invasion?
4. What novel does Ambrose refer to when discussing the bomber missions?
5. How many troops has the U.S. assembled and trained by 1943?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Eisenhower's subordinates think of him as a leader?
2. How does the French Resistance help the Allies as they prepare for D-Day?
3. What does Eisenhower say in the orders given out as troops head to the invasion site?
4. How do the commanders and leaders feel about the D-Day plans by the time of the May 15 dress rehearsal?
5. What is the fourth front for Germany?
6. What role do the hedgerows along the French coast play in the battle of D-Day?
7. How is the "Transportation Plan" viewed by experts after the war?
8. What happens with the three bridges the Allies had predetermined to destroy in the opening phase of the invasion?
9. How are Black American soldiers treated during World War II?
10. Why does Hitler believe an Anglo-American offensive poses a greater threat to Germany than the Russians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the backgrounds, careers, and leadership styles of Rommel and Eisenhower. How are their places in history both unique to the men and universal to the responsibility thrust upon them?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the preparation for the invasion made by the Germans and the Allies. What explains the Germans' lackadaisical approach to preparing for the coming Allied invasion?
Essay Topic 3
Considering how the plans had to be quickly abandoned once the invasion began, what purpose if any do the months of planning serve?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)