|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the Americans beat the Germans in battle prior to D-Day?
2. What is Maj. John Howard's D Company known as?
3. One soldier compared riding a LCT to all of the following EXCEPT for _____________.
4. German generals warn Rommel that he should keep his tanks out of range of what?
5. The lesson Hitler took from World War I is that Germany could not win a war of __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is operation Fortitude?
2. What happens with the three bridges the Allies had predetermined to destroy in the opening phase of the invasion?
3. How do the British and American armies differ?
4. How are the Allied troops entertained in the weeks leading up to the invasion?
5. What is the reason the Allies needed a soil sample from Calvados before a final decision could be made?
6. How are Black American soldiers treated during World War II?
7. How does Hitler misjudge the need for fighter jets over bombers?
8. How is the "Transportation Plan" viewed by experts after the war?
9. What do Eisenhower's subordinates think of him as a leader?
10. What plans do the Allies make to breach the Atlantic Wall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Operation Fortitude was an integral part of the success of D-Day.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the divisions among lines of nationality, ethnicity, and faith among the Allied troops.
Essay Topic 3
It is said that the war was won with British brains and American brawn. What are the differences between the armed forces of the two countries and how do their strengths and weaknesses contribute to victory?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)