|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the French girl leading Maj. A. J. C. Rosevear and his team to the bridges want them to blow up instead?
2. Where is the soldier from who forgets his name when asked by Eisenhower?
3. What is used to drop the Allied paratroopers behind enemy lines?
4. German generals warn Rommel that he should keep his tanks out of range of what?
5. Who is against the initial plans for the British airborne forces to take Caen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the panzer unit to arrive fourteen days late to Normandy?
2. What is operation Fortitude?
3. How does the British airborne fare in comparison to the dismal deployment of the American paratroopers?
4. While the Allies train obsessively, how are the Germans conducting training?
5. What does Eisenhower say in the orders given out as troops head to the invasion site?
6. How do the British gather intelligence about the French coast?
7. How does the French Resistance help the Allies as they prepare for D-Day?
8. What are the plans for taking Omaha beach?
9. How does Hitler misjudge the need for fighter jets over bombers?
10. What are the two problems the Allies face when planning to fight the Germans on the French coast?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Ambrose a fair narrator, giving his momentous subject the historical perspective and personal touch it calls for?
Essay Topic 2
The reporter Ernie Pyle said, "We did it with every advantage on the enemy's side and every disadvantage on ours." What are the advantages of the German Army? What are the disadvantages for the Allies? How does this make the victory more miraculous and the loss more devastating?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the divisions among lines of nationality, ethnicity, and faith among the Allied troops.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)