Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The paratroopers gain a fearsome appearance with what?
2. What would be the perfect, yet too obvious, landing site for the D-Day invasion?
3. What is the name for the German army?
4. At what time does the German radar finally spot the Allied fleet?
5. More than 40 years later, what does German commander Luck believe would have been key to turning the battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Allies' "Transportation Plan" versus the "Oil Plan"?
2. Why does Hitler order German physicists to abandon work on developing the atomic bomb?
3. What is the reason the Allies needed a soil sample from Calvados before a final decision could be made?
4. How does Hitler misjudge the need for fighter jets over bombers?
5. What is the role of the normally heralded fighter pilots?
6. What are the exact numbers of Allied bombers and fighters that take part in D-Day?
7. What purpose does the British Double Cross System serve in the war?
8. How is the situation with the wounded on D-Day unique in military history?
9. What plans do the Allies make to breach the Atlantic Wall?
10. Who are the POWs that the 2nd Battalion, 16th Regiment see being lead toward them at first light?
How does the image of a young soldier beside someone whose dead hand bobs, "Cornelia Otis Skinner's Our Hearts Were Young and Gay" capture the essence of what happened on D-day?
It is said that the war was won with British brains and American brawn. What are the differences between the armed forces of the two countries and how do their strengths and weaknesses contribute to victory?
The book is largely told through the voices of the men who survived the fight. Choose two or three stories in particular to discuss the impact they had on the reader and the overall story of D-Day.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)