|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The paratroopers gain a fearsome appearance with what?
2. What does AEF stand for?
3. What would be the perfect, yet too obvious, landing site for the D-Day invasion?
4. Who is the biggest advocate of the Oil Plan?
5. What is the Allied code name for the planned invasion for the spring of 1944?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the panzer unit to arrive fourteen days late to Normandy?
2. How do the commanders and leaders feel about the D-Day plans by the time of the May 15 dress rehearsal?
3. What is the role of the normally heralded fighter pilots?
4. What do Eisenhower's subordinates think of him as a leader?
5. How do the British gather intelligence about the French coast?
6. What roles do Rommel and Eisenhower have in World War I?
7. What is the experience of the troops in the Higgins boats as they are boarded to take part in the invasion?
8. What happens with the three bridges the Allies had predetermined to destroy in the opening phase of the invasion?
9. What are the plans for taking Omaha beach?
10. Why does Hitler believe an Anglo-American offensive poses a greater threat to Germany than the Russians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the home fronts and the dramatic changes the war brought to the fabric of the various nations involved.
Essay Topic 2
How does D-Day change the parameters of modern warfare? What lessons of D-Day can be applied to the wars of today?
Essay Topic 3
Considering how the plans had to be quickly abandoned once the invasion began, what purpose if any do the months of planning serve?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)