|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wants to sign onto the crew of one the King of England's ships?
2. Which American general is used as a decoy to fool the Germans about the location of D-Day?
3. Where do the Allies want the Germans to believe the D-Day invasion would be?
4. German generals warn Rommel that he should keep his tanks out of range of what?
5. What is the code name for the British system for breaking the German Enigma encoding machine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the Allies' mistakes during D-Day?
2. What are the "sausages" the Allies refer to?
3. What effect does World War II have on the American economy?
4. Who is the "Sergeant York of World War II"?
5. What are the plans for taking Omaha beach?
6. What is operation Fortitude?
7. What are the two problems the Allies face when planning to fight the Germans on the French coast?
8. How does World War II dramatically change the lives of women on the home front?
9. How are Black American soldiers treated during World War II?
10. What role do the hedgerows along the French coast play in the battle of D-Day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ambrose says in the Prologue that his book is about the young men who were molded by the 20's and 30's to become the heroes of D-Day. Discuss what he means by this.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the preparation for the invasion made by the Germans and the Allies. What explains the Germans' lackadaisical approach to preparing for the coming Allied invasion?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the divisions among lines of nationality, ethnicity, and faith among the Allied troops.
This section contains 1,514 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)