|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What river is a boundary between the German's Fifteenth and Seventh army divisions, providing an area of weakness for the Allies?
2. What is the Russian army called?
3. What is the favorite boredom killer in the days leading up to the invasion?
4. The paratroopers gain a fearsome appearance with what?
5. What is the landing site the Allies choose for the D-Day invasion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "best ally" the Allies had lost by dawn of D-Day?
2. What are the Allies' mistakes during D-Day?
3. What is the story of Jacqueline Thornton on Sword Beach?
4. What is the role of the normally heralded fighter pilots?
5. What else is happening with the Eisenhower family on June 6, 1944?
6. What happens with the three bridges the Allies had predetermined to destroy in the opening phase of the invasion?
7. What is Rommel doing in the days before the invasion?
8. What are the striking differences between Rommel and Eisenhower?
9. What causes the panzer unit to arrive fourteen days late to Normandy?
10. How do the commanders and leaders feel about the D-Day plans by the time of the May 15 dress rehearsal?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the backgrounds, careers, and leadership styles of Rommel and Eisenhower. How are their places in history both unique to the men and universal to the responsibility thrust upon them?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the unifying themes of the book.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the preparation for the invasion made by the Germans and the Allies. What explains the Germans' lackadaisical approach to preparing for the coming Allied invasion?
This section contains 1,388 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)