Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The paratroopers gain a fearsome appearance with what?
2. What would be the perfect, yet too obvious, landing site for the D-Day invasion?
3. What is the name for the German army?
4. At what time does the German radar finally spot the Allied fleet?
5. More than 40 years later, what does German commander Luck believe would have been key to turning the battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Allies' "Transportation Plan" versus the "Oil Plan"?
2. Why does Hitler order German physicists to abandon work on developing the atomic bomb?
3. What is the reason the Allies needed a soil sample from Calvados before a final decision could be made?
4. How does Hitler misjudge the need for fighter jets over bombers?
5. What is the role of the normally heralded fighter pilots?
6. What are the exact numbers of Allied bombers and fighters that take part in D-Day?
7. What purpose does the British Double Cross System serve in the war?
8. How is the situation with the wounded on D-Day unique in military history?
9. What plans do the Allies make to breach the Atlantic Wall?
10. Who are the POWs that the 2nd Battalion, 16th Regiment see being lead toward them at first light?
Is Ambrose a fair narrator, giving his momentous subject the historical perspective and personal touch it calls for?
Ambrose says in the Prologue that his book is about the young men who were molded by the 20's and 30's to become the heroes of D-Day. Discuss what he means by this.
How is the German chain of command completely dysfunctional, leading directly to utter defeat?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)