|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is attached to the LCTs by wire cable as they make their way to the beach?
2. What does the French girl leading Maj. A. J. C. Rosevear and his team to the bridges want them to blow up instead?
3. Pegasus Bridge is on which river?
4. Who says that the Allies' best chance is the "blast"?
5. At what hour on June 4 does Eisenhower give the order to proceed with the invasion?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the French Resistance help the Allies as they prepare for D-Day?
2. What do Eisenhower's subordinates think of him as a leader?
3. What is the experience of the troops in the Higgins boats as they are boarded to take part in the invasion?
4. Why does Hitler order German physicists to abandon work on developing the atomic bomb?
5. What are the similarities in the backgrounds of Eisenhower and Rommel?
6. How do the British and American armies differ?
7. What are the two problems the Allies face when planning to fight the Germans on the French coast?
8. What are the plans for taking Omaha beach?
9. What is the Allies' "Transportation Plan" versus the "Oil Plan"?
10. While the Allies train obsessively, how are the Germans conducting training?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the image of a young soldier beside someone whose dead hand bobs, "Cornelia Otis Skinner's Our Hearts Were Young and Gay" capture the essence of what happened on D-day?
Essay Topic 2
The book is largely told through the voices of the men who survived the fight. Choose two or three stories in particular to discuss the impact they had on the reader and the overall story of D-Day.
Essay Topic 3
How does using the memories of the men who took part in D-Day affect the integrity of the narrative? What are some possible distortions or misrepresentations in Ambrose's telling of D-Day?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)