|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says it is "the fury of an aroused democracy" that is the key to victory?
2. What is the date that Eisenhower originally sets for D-Day?
3. What does the SHAEF stand for?
4. Where do the Germans build the Atlantic Wall?
5. How many infantrymen crowd into the boats carrying them to the beach?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the fourth front for Germany?
2. What are the plans for taking Omaha beach?
3. What happens with the three bridges the Allies had predetermined to destroy in the opening phase of the invasion?
4. How is the "Transportation Plan" viewed by experts after the war?
5. What is the reason the Allies needed a soil sample from Calvados before a final decision could be made?
6. How does the British airborne fare in comparison to the dismal deployment of the American paratroopers?
7. Why does Hitler order German physicists to abandon work on developing the atomic bomb?
8. How are Black American soldiers treated during World War II?
9. What is the experience of the troops in the Higgins boats as they are boarded to take part in the invasion?
10. What does Eisenhower say in the orders given out as troops head to the invasion site?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reporter Ernie Pyle said, "We did it with every advantage on the enemy's side and every disadvantage on ours." What are the advantages of the German Army? What are the disadvantages for the Allies? How does this make the victory more miraculous and the loss more devastating?
Essay Topic 2
It is said that the war was won with British brains and American brawn. What are the differences between the armed forces of the two countries and how do their strengths and weaknesses contribute to victory?
Essay Topic 3
Considering how the plans had to be quickly abandoned once the invasion began, what purpose if any do the months of planning serve?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)