|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do many of the troops use as a shield on the beaches?
(a) Dead bodies.
(b) Landing craft ramps.
(c) Shoals and shale.
(d) Ammunition packs.
2. What do the troops call their inflatable life vests?
(b) Mae Wests.
3. What is the 5th Ranger Battalion's objective?
(d) Les Moulins.
4. The British Airborne Division was criticized for not pushing into ________.
5. What are "Hobart's Funnies"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Lt. Col. James Earl Rudder is the leader of ___________.
2. What do the Canadians give away to other troops because they expect to be evacuated?
3. By nightfall on D-Day, there are 25,000 men ashore at the cost of how many casualties?
4. The 5th Ranger Battalion sets up its command post outside of __________.
5. How high are the French hedgerows?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the situation with the wounded on D-Day unique in military history?
2. What is the story of Jacqueline Thornton on Sword Beach?
3. How does "Rangers Lead the Way" become an official motto?
4. What are the Allies' mistakes during D-Day?
5. How does Eisenhower describe his feelings to Walter Cronkite 20 years after the invasion?
6. How does Captain Rich assemble his plane after arriving on Omaha Beach?
7. How do the Canadian divisions fare on Juno Beach?
8. How is Omaha Beach constituted to give advantage to the Germans?
9. Why do the Rangers of the 116th A Company quickly lose their cockiness as they approach Omaha Beach?
10. Why do the Germans surrender Utah beach?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)