|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sgt. Harrison Summers became known as the _____ of World War II.
(a) Sergeant York.
(c) Tall tale.
(d) Captain Dan.
2. Ambrose starts the chapter about the home front with a story about boys from ________ getting ready to ship out.
3. What is the 5th Ranger Battalion's objective?
(a) Les Moulins.
4. What does OWI stand for?
(a) Official War Information.
(b) Office of War Information.
(c) Official Work Interaction.
(d) Office of War Interrogation.
5. What is the code name for the two Allied submarines that cross the Channel two days early?
Short Answer Questions
1. How do most Americans get their news about the war?
2. What is Sgt. Harrison Summers awarded for his bravery in taking the German barracks?
3. The British Airborne Division was criticized for not pushing into ________.
4. What poet does Ambrose quote on the last page of the book?
5. Which beach do the Canadians take?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the warships contribute to D-Day?
2. Who is the "Sergeant York of World War II"?
3. How is the situation with the wounded on D-Day unique in military history?
4. How does World War II dramatically change the lives of women on the home front?
5. How do the Canadian divisions fare on Juno Beach?
6. How does Eisenhower describe his feelings to Walter Cronkite 20 years after the invasion?
7. How is the movie The Longest Day inaccurate?
8. What happens to Capt. John Tillett and his prized carrier pigeons?
9. Why do the Germans surrender Utah beach?
10. What is the "best ally" the Allies had lost by dawn of D-Day?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)