|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ambrose starts the chapter about the home front with a story about boys from ________ getting ready to ship out.
2. Of the 2,400 tons of supplies scheduled to reach Omaha Beach, how much gets ashore?
(a) 2000 tons.
(b) 100 tons.
(c) 200 tons.
(d) 1000 tons.
3. Where is the command post of General Bradley?
(a) USS Augusta.
(b) USS Savannah.
(c) USS Ancon.
(d) USS Texas.
4. What poet does Ambrose quote on the last page of the book?
5. What does the 12th Infantry, 8th Regiment worry about more than snipers as they try to meet up with the 82nd Airborne?
(b) Friendly fire.
(c) Being taken prisoner.
6. What do many of the troops use as a shield on the beaches?
(a) Dead bodies.
(b) Ammunition packs.
(c) Landing craft ramps.
(d) Shoals and shale.
7. Sgt. Harrison Summers became known as the _____ of World War II.
(b) Sergeant York.
(c) Captain Dan.
(d) Tall tale.
8. What is the 5th Ranger Battalion's objective?
(c) Les Moulins.
9. "Potato masher" is the troops' name for what?
10. Many of the medics on D-Day are actually what?
11. What is the code name for the two Allied submarines that cross the Channel two days early?
12. How high are the French hedgerows?
(a) 3 feet.
(b) 15 feet.
(c) 1.5 feet.
(d) 6-12 feet.
13. People at home wait and pray that who does not knock on their door?
(a) A Priest.
(b) The Office of Military Personnel.
(c) Western Union.
(d) Military police.
14. What do the troops call their inflatable life vests?
(c) Mae Wests.
15. How long does it take the Germans to erect the Atlantic Wall?
(a) 10 months.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 4 years.
(d) 7 months.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which beach do the Canadians take?
2. At what hour does Rommel hear of the invasion?
3. How many troops drop into Normandy on D-Day?
4. What does ECB stand for?
5. By nightfall on D-Day, there are 25,000 men ashore at the cost of how many casualties?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)