|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Potato masher" is the troops' name for what?
2. The 5th Ranger Battalion sets up its command post outside of __________.
(c) Les Moulins.
3. What do the Canadians give away to other troops because they expect to be evacuated?
4. What are Sherman tanks also know as?
5. What do the troops use to blow holes in the barbed wire?
6. Many of the medics on D-Day are actually what?
7. How long does it take the Germans to erect the Atlantic Wall?
(a) 10 months.
(b) 7 months.
(c) 4 years.
(d) 2 years.
8. What poet does Ambrose quote on the last page of the book?
9. What do many of the troops use as a shield on the beaches?
(a) Shoals and shale.
(b) Ammunition packs.
(c) Dead bodies.
(d) Landing craft ramps.
10. What does OWI stand for?
(a) Office of War Information.
(b) Office of War Interrogation.
(c) Official Work Interaction.
(d) Official War Information.
11. What does UDT stand for?
(a) Underwater Detonation Technique.
(b) Underwater Demolition Teams.
(c) Undercover Deception Timetable.
(d) Undercover Destroyer Teams.
12. How many men are under General Bradley's command?
13. At what hour do most of the tanks roll ashore?
14. How many weeks after D-Day do the Allies capture Caen?
15. Sgt. Harrison Summers became known as the _____ of World War II.
(a) Tall tale.
(b) Captain Dan.
(d) Sergeant York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the 12th Infantry, 8th Regiment worry about more than snipers as they try to meet up with the 82nd Airborne?
2. How do most Americans get their news about the war?
3. In the closing paragraph of the book, Eisenhower says D-Day was fought for __________.
4. Ambrose starts the chapter about the home front with a story about boys from ________ getting ready to ship out.
5. Who does D-Day portray as being cowardly?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)