Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Roxane keep Christian's final letter to her?
2. Which of the following coach parts is used to smuggle food to the cadets?
3. Why does de Guiche have such difficulty finding Roxane's house at the beginning of Scene 13?
4. In the last word of the play, what does Cyrano announce he will take unblemished into the afterlife?
5. In what does Cyrano blame his tardiness at the beginning of Scene 5?
Essay Topic 1
Cyrano finds solace in writing letters under Christian's name. Write an essay about his ability finally to speak his heart through the more attractive man's voice. How does this come about? What is he able to say, and at what point does he realize he has wooed Roxane and not Christian? Focus on three parts in the script:
Part 1) The balcony scene
Part 2) The letters during the siege
Part 3) Christian's farewell letter
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the play, Rostand uses caricatures of certain character types to create a sense of society at large. Write an essay about these caricatures - focusing on three - and what effect they create. What are they mocking? How do they create the impression of a status quo? How do major characters interact with them, and why?
Part 1) Monfleury
Part 2) The poets of Ragueneau's shop
Part 3) The sisters of the convent
Essay Topic 3
Cyrano de Bergerac is a friend to the common man and a fierce enemy to hypocrisy and pompousness. Write an essay about his various successes in humbling the soft upper crust of Paris. What does he dislike about each of these adversaries? How does he humble them, and what are the consequences?
Part 1) Montfleury
Part 2) Valvert
Part 3) The Comte de Guiche in Act 4
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)