|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does de Guiche's voice change after he decides to stay and fight?
2. What does Mother Margaret forbid her Sisters from doing regarding Cyrano?
3. Where does Roxane keep Christian's final letter to her?
4. In Scene 6, one cadet tells Roxanne that he is crying for what reason?
5. In what state did Ragueneau leave Cyrano before coming to the convent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news of Cyrano does Ragueneau bring in Scene 3?
2. What declaration does Roxane make about the feast?
3. What does Roxane say about her surroundings at the beginning of Scene 4?
4. Describe the imaginary enemies Cyrano fights at the end of the play?
5. What lie does Cyrano tell Christian before he dies?
6. What secret does Cyrano tell Christian in Scene 7?
7. Why does Cyrano fear telling Roxane the truth regarding the letters?
8. How does Cyrano embarrass the Comte de Guiche in Scene 4?
9. In Scene 2, what news has de Guiche heard regarding Cyrano?
10. How does Roxane discover that Cyrano is her true suitor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of the conflict in Cyrano de Bergerac seems to stem from individuals - Valvert, de Guiche, Christian - but the true conflict in the play is rooted in a more ethereal struggle, one of honor versus selfishness and expediency. Write an essay about this struggle, using Cyrano's final tirade as a frame. How has he combated his ancient enemies, and how does this combat manifest itself in the whole of the plot? In what way does Cyrano represent honor in its raw form?
Essay Topic 2
Cyrano is renowned in the play not only as a warrior and leader, but also as an artist. Write an essay about Cyrano the artist. How does he bring beauty and verse into every aspect of his being? Does he consider art a profession? Does he intend to make money from it? Cite examples from the text in answering these questions.
Essay Topic 3
Cyrano de Bergerac is an individualist of the highest order. His sense of honor is self-contained, and he is unwilling to equivocate to appease a crowd. Write an essay about his willingness to make enemies in pursuit of honor:
Part 1) How does Cyrano place himself in conflict with virtually the entire city in the first act of the play? Why does he do this, and what does this say about him?
Part 2) Why does Cyrano turn down de Guiche's offer of patronage for his verses? What is the crux of his argument after the Comte storms out?
Part 3) Describe Cyrano's station in life at the end of the play? How is he regarded by both his friends and Paris as a whole? What is Rostand saying about the play of the good man in society?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)