|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Through what building does Le Bret exit at the end of Scene 3?
2. Which of the following is not a location that Cyrano guesses he is while stalling de Guiche?
3. At the beginning of Act 5, what does Sister Martha accuse Sister Claire of doing?
4. What does Christian insist Cyrano do as a result of Roxane's profession of love?
5. What item did the Comte de Guiche lose in his most recent assault?
Short Essay Questions
1. What offer does Christian make to Cyrano in Scene 9?
2. What secret does Cyrano tell Christian in Scene 7?
3. What is Cyrano's relationship with Roxane in Act 5?
4. Describe the setting of Act 5.
5. What does Roxane incorrectly assume when she see's Ragueneau and Le Bret exit in Scene 3?
6. In Scene 2, what news has de Guiche heard regarding Cyrano?
7. Why is Christian distraught at the end of Scene 8?
8. How does Roxane reason Cyrano's absence at his appointed time?
9. How does Roxane make her way to the Gascony cadets?
10. What news of Cyrano does Ragueneau bring in Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the play, Rostand uses caricatures of certain character types to create a sense of society at large. Write an essay about these caricatures - focusing on three - and what effect they create. What are they mocking? How do they create the impression of a status quo? How do major characters interact with them, and why?
Part 1) Monfleury
Part 2) The poets of Ragueneau's shop
Part 3) The sisters of the convent
Essay Topic 2
Christian is in many ways the tragic figure of CYRANO DE BERGERAC. Write an essay on this assertion. What does he want at the beginning of the play, and why does he choose to involve Cyrano in this endeavor? In the end, how does CHristian end up accomplishing the opposite of what he wanted to?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the play, Cyrano combines his desire for glory in battle with his desire to create beautiful verses. Write an essay about this unity of combat and rhyme. What does Cyrano do to add an aura of melody to his combat? Who does he take with him? What is the public reaction to this aplomb?
Part 1) Cyrano's duel with Valvert
Part 2) Cyrano's fending off of the 100 ruffians
Part 3) The Gascony Guard's stand against the Spanish at Arras
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)