|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Through what building does Le Bret exit at the end of Scene 3?
2. Which of the following coach parts is used to smuggle food to the cadets?
3. What other major character has Roxane brought along in her coach?
4. Which of the following is not among the enemies Cyrano fights at the end of the play?
5. What does Christian insist Cyrano do as a result of Roxane's profession of love?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Scene 2, what news has de Guiche heard regarding Cyrano?
2. What does Roxane resolve to do at the end of Scene 5?
3. What news of Cyrano does Ragueneau bring in Scene 3?
4. How does Roxane reason Cyrano's absence at his appointed time?
5. What does Roxane say about her surroundings at the beginning of Scene 4?
6. Why does Cyrano fear telling Roxane the truth regarding the letters?
7. Why does Cyrano wait so long to tell Roxane the truth?
8. Why do Le Bret and Carbon call on Cyrano at the end of Scene 1?
9. Why is Christian distraught at the end of Scene 8?
10. What is Cyrano's relationship with Roxane in Act 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Roxane develops from a mere object of affection into a fully-dimensional strong-willed character. Chart this transition in an essay. How does Roxane appear in the first act of the play? Is her role active, or merely objective to male characters? By scene 4, how has she transformed herself? What bold actions does she undertake without assistance from others?
Essay Topic 2
A major dynamic in CYRANO DE BERGERAC is the conflict between the physical appearance and the soul. Write an essay about this dynamic, focusing on Cyrano and Christian. What does each represent in terms of this theme? How do Roxane's changing attitudes toward her composite wooer reflect the balance in this ethereal struggle?
Essay Topic 3
Ragueneau is a figure of much comedic value, a sort of kindly fool forever at the mercy of a hostile world. He is also on of Cyrano's greatest advocates. Write an essay about Ragueneau. What does he value in life, and why do these choices cause him so much pain? Why does he enter scenes when he does? Why do you think he ends in such ignominy?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)