|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what classical text does Roxane refer when expressing her admiration for Christian in Scene 8?
2. What is the Comte de Guiche's new title in Act 5?
3. Who reenters at the end of Scene 3?
4. Which of the following is not a location that Cyrano guesses he is while stalling de Guiche?
5. What does Christian insist he can do to help Cyrano?
Short Essay Questions
1. What revenge does de Guiche take on Cyrano and Christian in Scene 14?
2. What is Cyrano's relationship with Roxane in Act 5?
3. What does Roxane incorrectly assume when she see's Ragueneau and Le Bret exit in Scene 3?
4. How does Christian realize that Cyrano loves Roxane in Scene 4?
5. How does Roxane discover that Cyrano is her true suitor?
6. What does Roxane say about her surroundings at the beginning of Scene 4?
7. How does Roxane make her way to the Gascony cadets?
8. Describe the state of the battle at the end of Act 4?
9. According to Le Bret in Scene 2, How has Cyrano changed of late?
10. What lie does Cyrano tell Christian before he dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the relationship between Cyrano and Christian. How do they develop from rivals, to conspirators, to two halves of the same soul? Why does Cyrano choose to help Christian, and how does ending this assistance become impossible as the play continues? In what ways is Christian present even after his death?
Essay Topic 2
Love is an ambiguous force in Cyrano de Bergerac. It guides many character's actions, both for good and for ill. Write an essay about Rostand's ambiguous attitude toward love:
Part 1) Christian loves Roxane completely, which blind him to the reality of his relationship with her. How does he pay for this love, and who else pay for it in the long run?
Part 2) To what extent do both Montfleury and Valvert pay for their romantic desires? What do they have in common and what do they respectively lose?
Part 3) The Comte de Guiche is consumed by his love for Roxane. Analyze how this all-engrossing love is the catalyst for both his most eveil acts and his finest.
Essay Topic 3
The world of Cyrano de Bergerac is one in which good and kind people are often punished for their better graces. Write an essay on the harshness of this France, focusing on three characters:
Part 1) Ragueneau is a lover of beautiful things and a sharer of his livelihood with the less fortunate. How does the world, particularly in relationship to his marriage and his poetry, repay him?
Part 2) Carbon and Le Bret deeply love their troops and will do anything to ensure their safety. Where does this lead them as commanders? Are the elite Gascony Cadets treated with respect in the end?
Part 3) Cyrano has the firmest moral compass int he play. How does this put him in contention with more powerful men? What is the state of his life at the end of the play?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)