|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Christian insist he can do to help Cyrano?
2. What information does Christian draw from Cyrano at the beginning of Scene 9?
3. Which major character is not present onstage at the beginning of Scene 10?
4. Who is asking to see Roxane at the end of Scene 2?
5. Why, according to Cyrano, do the Spanish troops never notice when he crosses their lines?
Essay Topic 1
Cyrano finds solace in writing letters under Christian's name. Write an essay about his ability finally to speak his heart through the more attractive man's voice. How does this come about? What is he able to say, and at what point does he realize he has wooed Roxane and not Christian? Focus on three parts in the script:
Part 1) The balcony scene
Part 2) The letters during the siege
Part 3) Christian's farewell letter
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the dynamic between Cyrano and the Comte de Guiche. Use the several insults that Cyrano deal de Guiche throughout the play as framework for the essay. Why does Cyrano deal the nobleman these slights, and how does de Guiche respond? Who pays for these slights? Does either man ultimately change as a result of this dynamic?
Essay Topic 3
The Comte de Guiche seems to be a simple villainous presence at the beginning of the play, but he proves to be one of the most dynamic figures of the narrative. Write an essay analyzing the Comte's transformation over the course of the play. What is the root of his villainy? Why does he suddenly change? What hopes and regrets does he express in Act 5?
This section contains 1,743 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)