|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Comte de Guiche, what does the trumpet sounding signify to the troops?
2. Where does Cyrano tell Le Bret he expects to go after death?
3. What does de Guiche say he should like to do with Cyrano in Scene 2?
4. At the beginning of Scene 8, what reason does Roxane give Christian for coming to the camp?
5. What does Christian protest he contains within himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Roxane bring food to the troops?
2. What is Cyrano's relationship with Roxane in Act 5?
3. What revenge does de Guiche take on Cyrano and Christian in Scene 14?
4. Why does Cyrano fear telling Roxane the truth regarding the letters?
5. How does Roxane reason Cyrano's absence at his appointed time?
6. According to Le Bret in Scene 2, How has Cyrano changed of late?
7. What lie does Cyrano tell Christian before he dies?
8. What does Roxane incorrectly assume when she see's Ragueneau and Le Bret exit in Scene 3?
9. What declaration does Roxane make about the feast?
10. How does Christian realize that Cyrano loves Roxane in Scene 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the dynamic between Cyrano and the Comte de Guiche. Use the several insults that Cyrano deal de Guiche throughout the play as framework for the essay. Why does Cyrano deal the nobleman these slights, and how does de Guiche respond? Who pays for these slights? Does either man ultimately change as a result of this dynamic?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the play, Cyrano combines his desire for glory in battle with his desire to create beautiful verses. Write an essay about this unity of combat and rhyme. What does Cyrano do to add an aura of melody to his combat? Who does he take with him? What is the public reaction to this aplomb?
Part 1) Cyrano's duel with Valvert
Part 2) Cyrano's fending off of the 100 ruffians
Part 3) The Gascony Guard's stand against the Spanish at Arras
Essay Topic 3
Christian is in many ways the tragic figure of CYRANO DE BERGERAC. Write an essay on this assertion. What does he want at the beginning of the play, and why does he choose to involve Cyrano in this endeavor? In the end, how does CHristian end up accomplishing the opposite of what he wanted to?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)