|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attends Roxane throughout Scene 4?
2. Which of the following is not among the enemies Cyrano fights at the end of the play?
3. On what does Cyrano blame his fainting in Scene 5?
4. What does Cyrano admit to Christian at the end of Scene 7?
5. In what does Cyrano blame his tardiness at the beginning of Scene 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What revenge does de Guiche take on Cyrano and Christian in Scene 14?
2. In Scene 2, what news has de Guiche heard regarding Cyrano?
3. How does Roxane bring food to the troops?
4. Why does Cyrano fear telling Roxane the truth regarding the letters?
5. According to Le Bret in Scene 2, How has Cyrano changed of late?
6. Why does Cyrano wait so long to tell Roxane the truth?
7. Describe Cyrano in Scene 5.
8. How has Roxane's love changed in the months since the siege?
9. How does Roxane reason Cyrano's absence at his appointed time?
10. What news of Cyrano does Ragueneau bring in Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of honor in CYRANO DE BERGERAC becomes synonymous with the idea of soldiery. Focusing on Le Bret, Carbon, and the cadets of Act 4, write an essay on the the lionization of the career soldier. How do these characters deal with adverse circumstances? What do they idolize and what do they revile? How do they react to the extremities of Cyrano?
Essay Topic 2
Much of the conflict in Cyrano de Bergerac seems to stem from individuals - Valvert, de Guiche, Christian - but the true conflict in the play is rooted in a more ethereal struggle, one of honor versus selfishness and expediency. Write an essay about this struggle, using Cyrano's final tirade as a frame. How has he combated his ancient enemies, and how does this combat manifest itself in the whole of the plot? In what way does Cyrano represent honor in its raw form?
Essay Topic 3
A major dynamic in CYRANO DE BERGERAC is the conflict between the physical appearance and the soul. Write an essay about this dynamic, focusing on Cyrano and Christian. What does each represent in terms of this theme? How do Roxane's changing attitudes toward her composite wooer reflect the balance in this ethereal struggle?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)