|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does Roxane take from Christian's body in Scene 10?
2. What does Cyrano do every morning before dawn?
3. When stopped by Spanish forces, where does Roxane tell them she is going?
4. To which Greek god does Roxane compare Christian in Scene 8?
5. Who attends Roxane throughout Scene 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What secret does Cyrano tell Christian in Scene 7?
2. What news of Cyrano does Ragueneau bring in Scene 3?
3. How does Cyrano distract the Comte de Guiche while Roxane and Christian marry?
4. Describe the imaginary enemies Cyrano fights at the end of the play?
5. How does Roxane bring food to the troops?
6. How does Roxane make her way to the Gascony cadets?
7. How does Christian realize that Cyrano loves Roxane in Scene 4?
8. Describe the setting of Act 5.
9. Why are the troops starving at the beginning of Act 4?
10. What revenge does de Guiche take on Cyrano and Christian in Scene 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cyrano de Bergerac is a friend to the common man and a fierce enemy to hypocrisy and pompousness. Write an essay about his various successes in humbling the soft upper crust of Paris. What does he dislike about each of these adversaries? How does he humble them, and what are the consequences?
Part 1) Montfleury
Part 2) Valvert
Part 3) The Comte de Guiche in Act 4
Essay Topic 2
The Comte de Guiche seems to be a simple villainous presence at the beginning of the play, but he proves to be one of the most dynamic figures of the narrative. Write an essay analyzing the Comte's transformation over the course of the play. What is the root of his villainy? Why does he suddenly change? What hopes and regrets does he express in Act 5?
Essay Topic 3
Cyrano is renowned in the play not only as a warrior and leader, but also as an artist. Write an essay about Cyrano the artist. How does he bring beauty and verse into every aspect of his being? Does he consider art a profession? Does he intend to make money from it? Cite examples from the text in answering these questions.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)