|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following coach parts is used to smuggle food to the cadets?
2. How many years after the events of Act 4 does Act 5 take place?
3. Which famous French writer does Ragueneau accuse in Scene 6 of stealing words from Cyrano?
4. On what does Cyrano blame his fainting in Scene 5?
5. One cadet in Scene 2 offers all his lordly titles for what food?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lie does Cyrano tell Christian before he dies?
2. What does Roxane say about her surroundings at the beginning of Scene 4?
3. How does the cadets' attitude toward the Comte de Guiche change in Scene 7?
4. How does Christian realize that Cyrano loves Roxane in Scene 4?
5. What revenge does de Guiche take on Cyrano and Christian in Scene 14?
6. In Scene 2, what news has de Guiche heard regarding Cyrano?
7. What does Roxane incorrectly assume when she see's Ragueneau and Le Bret exit in Scene 3?
8. How does Roxane discover that Cyrano is her true suitor?
9. What news of Cyrano does Ragueneau bring in Scene 3?
10. How does Cyrano distract the Comte de Guiche while Roxane and Christian marry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cyrano is renowned in the play not only as a warrior and leader, but also as an artist. Write an essay about Cyrano the artist. How does he bring beauty and verse into every aspect of his being? Does he consider art a profession? Does he intend to make money from it? Cite examples from the text in answering these questions.
Essay Topic 2
Much of the conflict in Cyrano de Bergerac seems to stem from individuals - Valvert, de Guiche, Christian - but the true conflict in the play is rooted in a more ethereal struggle, one of honor versus selfishness and expediency. Write an essay about this struggle, using Cyrano's final tirade as a frame. How has he combated his ancient enemies, and how does this combat manifest itself in the whole of the plot? In what way does Cyrano represent honor in its raw form?
Essay Topic 3
Ragueneau is a figure of much comedic value, a sort of kindly fool forever at the mercy of a hostile world. He is also on of Cyrano's greatest advocates. Write an essay about Ragueneau. What does he value in life, and why do these choices cause him so much pain? Why does he enter scenes when he does? Why do you think he ends in such ignominy?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)