|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a constellation with which Cyrano claims to have interacted on his drop from the moon?
2. What in the below list is not among the groups that Cyrano regularly attacks in his writing, according to Le Bret?
3. What information does Christian draw from Cyrano at the beginning of Scene 9?
4. Who is asking to see Roxane at the end of Scene 2?
5. What assistance does de Guiche offer to Carbon in Scene 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the cadets' attitude toward the Comte de Guiche change in Scene 7?
2. Describe the imaginary enemies Cyrano fights at the end of the play?
3. Why are the troops starving at the beginning of Act 4?
4. How does Roxane reason Cyrano's absence at his appointed time?
5. In Scene 2, what news has de Guiche heard regarding Cyrano?
6. Why do Le Bret and Carbon call on Cyrano at the end of Scene 1?
7. Why is Christian distraught at the end of Scene 8?
8. Describe Cyrano in Scene 5.
9. Why does Cyrano fear telling Roxane the truth regarding the letters?
10. How does Cyrano distract the Comte de Guiche while Roxane and Christian marry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ragueneau is a figure of much comedic value, a sort of kindly fool forever at the mercy of a hostile world. He is also on of Cyrano's greatest advocates. Write an essay about Ragueneau. What does he value in life, and why do these choices cause him so much pain? Why does he enter scenes when he does? Why do you think he ends in such ignominy?
Essay Topic 2
Cyrano de Bergerac is a friend to the common man and a fierce enemy to hypocrisy and pompousness. Write an essay about his various successes in humbling the soft upper crust of Paris. What does he dislike about each of these adversaries? How does he humble them, and what are the consequences?
Part 1) Montfleury
Part 2) Valvert
Part 3) The Comte de Guiche in Act 4
Essay Topic 3
Cyrano is renowned in the play not only as a warrior and leader, but also as an artist. Write an essay about Cyrano the artist. How does he bring beauty and verse into every aspect of his being? Does he consider art a profession? Does he intend to make money from it? Cite examples from the text in answering these questions.
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)