Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Roxane keep Christian's final letter to her?
2. Which of the following coach parts is used to smuggle food to the cadets?
3. Why does de Guiche have such difficulty finding Roxane's house at the beginning of Scene 13?
4. In the last word of the play, what does Cyrano announce he will take unblemished into the afterlife?
5. In what does Cyrano blame his tardiness at the beginning of Scene 5?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the play, Rostand uses caricatures of certain character types to create a sense of society at large. Write an essay about these caricatures - focusing on three - and what effect they create. What are they mocking? How do they create the impression of a status quo? How do major characters interact with them, and why?
Part 1) Monfleury
Part 2) The poets of Ragueneau's shop
Part 3) The sisters of the convent
Essay Topic 2
Ragueneau is a figure of much comedic value, a sort of kindly fool forever at the mercy of a hostile world. He is also on of Cyrano's greatest advocates. Write an essay about Ragueneau. What does he value in life, and why do these choices cause him so much pain? Why does he enter scenes when he does? Why do you think he ends in such ignominy?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of honor in CYRANO DE BERGERAC becomes synonymous with the idea of soldiery. Focusing on Le Bret, Carbon, and the cadets of Act 4, write an essay on the the lionization of the career soldier. How do these characters deal with adverse circumstances? What do they idolize and what do they revile? How do they react to the extremities of Cyrano?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)