|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Christian refuse to go with Cyrano in Scene 4?
2. To which two classical figures does Cyrano compare Roxane in Scene 5?
3. Where does Cyrano appear in Scene 3?
4. What does Cyrano offer to Christian to aid him in his pursuit of Roxane?
5. What does Lise use as wrapping for Ragueneau's food?
Short Essay Questions
1. What furtive disagreement do Christian and Cyrano has at the end of Scene 7?
2. Describe the scene created when Ragueneau's poets enter the shop.
3. How does Cyrano react to the loutish Citizen's attack on his nose?
4. Why does Cyrano decide to convince Roxane to kiss Christian?
5. What is the Comte de Guiche's treachery against Ligniere?
6. Describe the scene at the beginning of the play.
7. Why does Cyrano embrace Christian at the beginning of Scene 10?
8. What offer does de Guiche make Cyrano, and why does Cyrano refuse?
9. How is Christian resistant to Cyrano in Scene 4?
10. Describe Christian's interchange with Roxane in Scene 5.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Comte de Guiche seems to be a simple villainous presence at the beginning of the play, but he proves to be one of the most dynamic figures of the narrative. Write an essay analyzing the Comte's transformation over the course of the play. What is the root of his villainy? Why does he suddenly change? What hopes and regrets does he express in Act 5?
Essay Topic 2
Cyrano is renowned in the play not only as a warrior and leader, but also as an artist. Write an essay about Cyrano the artist. How does he bring beauty and verse into every aspect of his being? Does he consider art a profession? Does he intend to make money from it? Cite examples from the text in answering these questions.
Essay Topic 3
The idea of honor in CYRANO DE BERGERAC becomes synonymous with the idea of soldiery. Focusing on Le Bret, Carbon, and the cadets of Act 4, write an essay on the the lionization of the career soldier. How do these characters deal with adverse circumstances? What do they idolize and what do they revile? How do they react to the extremities of Cyrano?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)