Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What act does Cyrano tell Roxane not to miss at Clomire's before she leaves in Scene 3?
2. What part of Cyrano's body is injured in Scene 3?
3. Which of the following is not a person who arrives to see the play-within-the-play in the first scene?
4. What emotion does Roxane display when reading de Guiche's letter to the monk?
5. What two colors does Cyrano use to describe Christian and Roxane in Scene 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Roxane incorrectly assume when she see's Ragueneau and Le Bret exit in Scene 3?
2. What is the Comte de Guiche's treachery against Ligniere?
3. Why are the troops starving at the beginning of Act 4?
4. How do Cyrano and Christian intend to speak to Roxane at the end of Scene 6?
5. Why does Cyrano truly detest Montfleury?
6. How does Roxane bring food to the troops?
7. How does Roxane reason Cyrano's absence at his appointed time?
8. What lie does Cyrano tell Christian before he dies?
9. Describe the scene created when Ragueneau's poets enter the shop.
10. Describe Lise.
Essay Topic 1
The Comte de Guiche seems to be a simple villainous presence at the beginning of the play, but he proves to be one of the most dynamic figures of the narrative. Write an essay analyzing the Comte's transformation over the course of the play. What is the root of his villainy? Why does he suddenly change? What hopes and regrets does he express in Act 5?
Essay Topic 2
Cyrano de Bergerac is forever held prisoner by his inability to declare his love for Roxane. Write an essay about his continued resistance to admitting his feels for her, focusing on three parts:
Part 1) Why is Cyrano initially unwilling to declare his love to Roxane? How are his assaults on Montfleury and Valvert connected to this reticence?
Part 2) What decisions does Cyrano make regarding Christian and Roxane once he knows they care for each other? What does this say about Cyrano's attitude toward both and toward himself?
Part 3) Cyrano makes a conscious decision not to tell Roxane the truth regarding his letters to her after Christian dies. What is the root of this decision? What does this choice mean for the next 15 years of his life?
Essay Topic 3
A major dynamic in CYRANO DE BERGERAC is the conflict between the physical appearance and the soul. Write an essay about this dynamic, focusing on Cyrano and Christian. What does each represent in terms of this theme? How do Roxane's changing attitudes toward her composite wooer reflect the balance in this ethereal struggle?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)