|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cyrano demand Christian do in the first line of Scene 10?
2. What two "serpents" does Christian claim his love has strangled?
3. Where is Ligniere going at the end of Scene 2?
4. What musical metaphor does Roxane use to describe love in Scene 5?
5. How many enemies does Le Bret estimate Cyrano made this evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. With what has Ragueneau been preoccupied in Act 2?
2. Why does Christian insult Cyrano's nose in Scene 9?
3. How does Roxane prevent Christian's going to battle in Scene 2?
4. Describe the scene at the beginning of the play.
5. Describe Christian's interchange with Roxane in Scene 5.
6. How does Cyrano delay Christian's kiss in Scene 10?
7. What news does Roxane tell Cyrano in Scene 6?
8. Why does Cyrano embrace Christian at the beginning of Scene 10?
9. Why does Cyrano decide to convince Roxane to kiss Christian?
10. How does Cyrano explain Christian's uncertain poetry to Roxane?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cyrano de Bergerac is an individualist of the highest order. His sense of honor is self-contained, and he is unwilling to equivocate to appease a crowd. Write an essay about his willingness to make enemies in pursuit of honor:
Part 1) How does Cyrano place himself in conflict with virtually the entire city in the first act of the play? Why does he do this, and what does this say about him?
Part 2) Why does Cyrano turn down de Guiche's offer of patronage for his verses? What is the crux of his argument after the Comte storms out?
Part 3) Describe Cyrano's station in life at the end of the play? How is he regarded by both his friends and Paris as a whole? What is Rostand saying about the play of the good man in society?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the play, Cyrano combines his desire for glory in battle with his desire to create beautiful verses. Write an essay about this unity of combat and rhyme. What does Cyrano do to add an aura of melody to his combat? Who does he take with him? What is the public reaction to this aplomb?
Part 1) Cyrano's duel with Valvert
Part 2) Cyrano's fending off of the 100 ruffians
Part 3) The Gascony Guard's stand against the Spanish at Arras
Essay Topic 3
Cyrano de Bergerac is a friend to the common man and a fierce enemy to hypocrisy and pompousness. Write an essay about his various successes in humbling the soft upper crust of Paris. What does he dislike about each of these adversaries? How does he humble them, and what are the consequences?
Part 1) Montfleury
Part 2) Valvert
Part 3) The Comte de Guiche in Act 4
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)