|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom is the letter that the monk bears?
2. At the end of Scene 3, what does Cyrano say he has done many times?
3. Where does Ragueneau take his poets to give Cyrano privacy?
4. Who, at the beginning of the Act is relating his misfortunes to the Duenna?
5. About what subject, according to Lise, will Ragueneau stop talking?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Cyrano and Christian intend to speak to Roxane at the end of Scene 6?
2. What job is Cyrano given in Scene 12?
3. How does Cyrano get rid of the Duenna?
4. What news does Roxane tell Cyrano in Scene 6?
5. What is the Comte de Guiche's treachery against Ligniere?
6. How does Cyrano explain Christian's uncertain poetry to Roxane?
7. How does Roxane trick the monk in Scene 11?
8. Why does Cyrano decide to convince Roxane to kiss Christian?
9. How does Cyrano delay Christian's kiss in Scene 10?
10. Why does Christian insult Cyrano's nose in Scene 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cyrano de Bergerac is a friend to the common man and a fierce enemy to hypocrisy and pompousness. Write an essay about his various successes in humbling the soft upper crust of Paris. What does he dislike about each of these adversaries? How does he humble them, and what are the consequences?
Part 1) Montfleury
Part 2) Valvert
Part 3) The Comte de Guiche in Act 4
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the relationship between Le Bret and Cyrano. As the protagonist's foil, what information does Le Bret provide the audience at the beginning of the play? Throughout the ensuing four acts, what new information does Le Bret draw? How does Rostand create a relationship that allows this disclosure to occur organically?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of honor in CYRANO DE BERGERAC becomes synonymous with the idea of soldiery. Focusing on Le Bret, Carbon, and the cadets of Act 4, write an essay on the the lionization of the career soldier. How do these characters deal with adverse circumstances? What do they idolize and what do they revile? How do they react to the extremities of Cyrano?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)