|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a food that one of Ragueneau's cooks brings him?
2. Where does Roxane wish to meet Cyrano the following day?
3. What does Ragueneau actively ignore in his shop?
4. To what literary work does the Comte de Guiche refer Cyrano before leaving the shop?
5. What is Ragueneau's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cyrano delay Christian's kiss in Scene 10?
2. Why does Cyrano decide to convince Roxane to kiss Christian?
3. What job is Cyrano given in Scene 12?
4. What news does Roxane tell Cyrano in Scene 6?
5. How does Cyrano explain Christian's uncertain poetry to Roxane?
6. Why does Cyrano consider himself a coward at the end of Scene 3?
7. What furtive disagreement do Christian and Cyrano has at the end of Scene 7?
8. Why does Ragueneau expect Cyrano at the play?
9. How is Christian resistant to Cyrano in Scene 4?
10. Describe Lise.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cyrano de Bergerac is forever held prisoner by his inability to declare his love for Roxane. Write an essay about his continued resistance to admitting his feels for her, focusing on three parts:
Part 1) Why is Cyrano initially unwilling to declare his love to Roxane? How are his assaults on Montfleury and Valvert connected to this reticence?
Part 2) What decisions does Cyrano make regarding Christian and Roxane once he knows they care for each other? What does this say about Cyrano's attitude toward both and toward himself?
Part 3) Cyrano makes a conscious decision not to tell Roxane the truth regarding his letters to her after Christian dies. What is the root of this decision? What does this choice mean for the next 15 years of his life?
Essay Topic 2
Roxane develops from a mere object of affection into a fully-dimensional strong-willed character. Chart this transition in an essay. How does Roxane appear in the first act of the play? Is her role active, or merely objective to male characters? By scene 4, how has she transformed herself? What bold actions does she undertake without assistance from others?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of honor in CYRANO DE BERGERAC becomes synonymous with the idea of soldiery. Focusing on Le Bret, Carbon, and the cadets of Act 4, write an essay on the the lionization of the career soldier. How do these characters deal with adverse circumstances? What do they idolize and what do they revile? How do they react to the extremities of Cyrano?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)