Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What act does Cyrano tell Roxane not to miss at Clomire's before she leaves in Scene 3?
2. What part of Cyrano's body is injured in Scene 3?
3. Which of the following is not a person who arrives to see the play-within-the-play in the first scene?
4. What emotion does Roxane display when reading de Guiche's letter to the monk?
5. What two colors does Cyrano use to describe Christian and Roxane in Scene 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Roxane incorrectly assume when she see's Ragueneau and Le Bret exit in Scene 3?
2. What is the Comte de Guiche's treachery against Ligniere?
3. Why are the troops starving at the beginning of Act 4?
4. How do Cyrano and Christian intend to speak to Roxane at the end of Scene 6?
5. Why does Cyrano truly detest Montfleury?
6. How does Roxane bring food to the troops?
7. How does Roxane reason Cyrano's absence at his appointed time?
8. What lie does Cyrano tell Christian before he dies?
9. Describe the scene created when Ragueneau's poets enter the shop.
10. Describe Lise.
Essay Topic 1
Cyrano de Bergerac is a friend to the common man and a fierce enemy to hypocrisy and pompousness. Write an essay about his various successes in humbling the soft upper crust of Paris. What does he dislike about each of these adversaries? How does he humble them, and what are the consequences?
Part 1) Montfleury
Part 2) Valvert
Part 3) The Comte de Guiche in Act 4
Essay Topic 2
Christian is in many ways the tragic figure of CYRANO DE BERGERAC. Write an essay on this assertion. What does he want at the beginning of the play, and why does he choose to involve Cyrano in this endeavor? In the end, how does CHristian end up accomplishing the opposite of what he wanted to?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the relationship between Cyrano and Christian. How do they develop from rivals, to conspirators, to two halves of the same soul? Why does Cyrano choose to help Christian, and how does ending this assistance become impossible as the play continues? In what ways is Christian present even after his death?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)