|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who challenges Cyrano to a duel after he ejects Montfleury?
2. What does Ragueneau actively ignore in his shop?
3. About what subject, according to Lise, will Ragueneau stop talking?
4. Who does Cyrano strike at the end of Act 2?
5. Who climbs Roxane's balcony at the end of Scene 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cyrano leave the theatre at the end of Act 1?
2. Why does Cyrano truly detest Montfleury?
3. What plan do Cyrano and Christian hatch by the end of Scene 10?
4. How do Cyrano and Christian intend to speak to Roxane at the end of Scene 6?
5. With what has Ragueneau been preoccupied in Act 2?
6. How does Cyrano react to the loutish Citizen's attack on his nose?
7. What news does Roxane tell Cyrano in Scene 6?
8. Describe Christian's interchange with Roxane in Scene 5.
9. Describe the scene at the beginning of the play.
10. What requests does Roxane make of Cyrano before leaving in Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the play, Cyrano combines his desire for glory in battle with his desire to create beautiful verses. Write an essay about this unity of combat and rhyme. What does Cyrano do to add an aura of melody to his combat? Who does he take with him? What is the public reaction to this aplomb?
Part 1) Cyrano's duel with Valvert
Part 2) Cyrano's fending off of the 100 ruffians
Part 3) The Gascony Guard's stand against the Spanish at Arras
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the play, Rostand uses caricatures of certain character types to create a sense of society at large. Write an essay about these caricatures - focusing on three - and what effect they create. What are they mocking? How do they create the impression of a status quo? How do major characters interact with them, and why?
Part 1) Monfleury
Part 2) The poets of Ragueneau's shop
Part 3) The sisters of the convent
Essay Topic 3
Cyrano de Bergerac is a friend to the common man and a fierce enemy to hypocrisy and pompousness. Write an essay about his various successes in humbling the soft upper crust of Paris. What does he dislike about each of these adversaries? How does he humble them, and what are the consequences?
Part 1) Montfleury
Part 2) Valvert
Part 3) The Comte de Guiche in Act 4
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)