|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what literary work does the Comte de Guiche refer Cyrano before leaving the shop?
2. What does Ragueneau actively ignore in his shop?
3. Where does Cyrano appear in Scene 3?
4. What emotion does Roxane display when reading de Guiche's letter to the monk?
5. Who does Cyrano strike at the end of Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene created when Ragueneau's poets enter the shop.
2. What offer does de Guiche make Cyrano, and why does Cyrano refuse?
3. How does Cyrano get rid of the Duenna?
4. With what has Ragueneau been preoccupied in Act 2?
5. Describe Christian's interchange with Roxane in Scene 5.
6. How do Cyrano and Christian intend to speak to Roxane at the end of Scene 6?
7. What job is Cyrano given in Scene 12?
8. What furtive disagreement do Christian and Cyrano has at the end of Scene 7?
9. How does Roxane trick the monk in Scene 11?
10. How does Cyrano explain Christian's uncertain poetry to Roxane?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cyrano de Bergerac is a friend to the common man and a fierce enemy to hypocrisy and pompousness. Write an essay about his various successes in humbling the soft upper crust of Paris. What does he dislike about each of these adversaries? How does he humble them, and what are the consequences?
Part 1) Montfleury
Part 2) Valvert
Part 3) The Comte de Guiche in Act 4
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the dynamic between Cyrano and the Comte de Guiche. Use the several insults that Cyrano deal de Guiche throughout the play as framework for the essay. Why does Cyrano deal the nobleman these slights, and how does de Guiche respond? Who pays for these slights? Does either man ultimately change as a result of this dynamic?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of honor in CYRANO DE BERGERAC becomes synonymous with the idea of soldiery. Focusing on Le Bret, Carbon, and the cadets of Act 4, write an essay on the the lionization of the career soldier. How do these characters deal with adverse circumstances? What do they idolize and what do they revile? How do they react to the extremities of Cyrano?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)