|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not an object to which Cyrano compares a kiss?
2. About what subject, according to Lise, will Ragueneau stop talking?
3. In Scene 7, Christian compares his love to two mythological figures: Cupid and whom?
4. In Scene 2, Ragueneau wraps an order of patties in a sonnet to whom?
5. What musical metaphor does Roxane use to describe love in Scene 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Cyrano and Christian intend to speak to Roxane at the end of Scene 6?
2. What new sadness has befallen Ragueneau at the beginning of Act 3?
3. What plan do Cyrano and Christian hatch by the end of Scene 10?
4. What furtive disagreement do Christian and Cyrano has at the end of Scene 7?
5. How does Cyrano get rid of the Duenna?
6. Why does Christian insult Cyrano's nose in Scene 9?
7. Why hasn't Cyrano professed his love to Roxane?
8. Why does Ragueneau expect Cyrano at the play?
9. How is Christian resistant to Cyrano in Scene 4?
10. Why does Cyrano embrace Christian at the beginning of Scene 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cyrano de Bergerac is a friend to the common man and a fierce enemy to hypocrisy and pompousness. Write an essay about his various successes in humbling the soft upper crust of Paris. What does he dislike about each of these adversaries? How does he humble them, and what are the consequences?
Part 1) Montfleury
Part 2) Valvert
Part 3) The Comte de Guiche in Act 4
Essay Topic 2
The world of Cyrano de Bergerac is one in which good and kind people are often punished for their better graces. Write an essay on the harshness of this France, focusing on three characters:
Part 1) Ragueneau is a lover of beautiful things and a sharer of his livelihood with the less fortunate. How does the world, particularly in relationship to his marriage and his poetry, repay him?
Part 2) Carbon and Le Bret deeply love their troops and will do anything to ensure their safety. Where does this lead them as commanders? Are the elite Gascony Cadets treated with respect in the end?
Part 3) Cyrano has the firmest moral compass int he play. How does this put him in contention with more powerful men? What is the state of his life at the end of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Cyrano is renowned in the play not only as a warrior and leader, but also as an artist. Write an essay about Cyrano the artist. How does he bring beauty and verse into every aspect of his being? Does he consider art a profession? Does he intend to make money from it? Cite examples from the text in answering these questions.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)