|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Christian tell Cyrano is his only hope for staying in Roxane's affections?
(a) Writing her a sonnet
(b) Staying silent
(c) Kissing her
(d) Winning a duel
2. At the end of Scene 7, Cyrano is shocked that Christian requests what of Roxane?
(a) That she kiss him
(b) That she leave Paris immediately
(c) That she never see him again
(d) That she marry him
3. What false promise to the monk does Roxane claim is in de Guiche's letter?
(a) An archbishopric
(b) Her hand in marriage
(c) A chateau in Provence
(d) 250 crowns
4. To what literary work does the Comte de Guiche refer Cyrano before leaving the shop?
(b) Henry V
(c) Don Quixote
(d) The Seven Caesars
5. What does Cyrano implore Roxane not to do in Scene 7?
(a) Leave for bed
(b) Kiss him
(c) Speak ill of him
(d) Descend from the balcony
6. What does Cyrano warn the officers at the theatre not to do as the ruffians attack?
(a) Hold him back
(d) Help him
7. In his long monologue of Scene 8, Cyrano mentions the name of his editor. Who is it?
8. When does Christian intend to declare his love to Roxane?
(a) Next week
(b) On Friday
(c) That night
9. Who, at the beginning of the Act is relating his misfortunes to the Duenna?
10. What does Christian repeatedly protest he will do if Cyrano does not help him in Scene 6?
(a) Seduce the Duenna
(c) Tell Roxane of his deceit
(d) Leave the Guards
11. What two drinks does Roxane compare to express her disappointment with Christian's words to her?
(a) Beer and sherry
(b) Water and nectar
(c) Cider and champagne
(d) Juice and wine
12. Which of the following is not a category of insult that Cyrano mentions in his famous nose speech?
13. To whom does Cyrano send his pages in Scene 1?
(d) de Guiche
14. What does Cyrano give to Christian at the end of Scene 10?
(a) A mask
(b) His love letter
(c) His plume
(d) His sword
15. For whose benefit do the cadets demand Cyrano tell the story of his recent victory over the brigands?
(b) Le Bret
Short Answer Questions
1. What two "serpents" does Christian claim his love has strangled?
2. Upon what subject does Roxane expect Christian to speak this night?
3. According to the poets of Scene 4, how many ruffians lie dying because of Cyrano's sword?
4. In what theatrical term does Cyrano characterize the battle that is about to about to take place at the end of Act 1?
5. What does Ragueneau actively ignore in his shop?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)