|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Eli Steinmetz get his undergraduate degree?
2. What is really in the package that Joe uses to threaten the President?
3. What clue does Pitt provide to Detective Victor?
4. Where does Eriksen believe that Hagen will go next on his search for the Inner Core?
5. Who greets the President after the unveiling of a statue to commemorate the sinking of the Leopoldville?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why should Jessie LeBaron have been careful not to offend Pitt?
2. Why didn't Ira Hagen go to Houston?
3. Why did Pitt place a hair across his door when he escaped from his cell the first time?
4. Why were some Soviet scientists upset about the cargo of the Selenos 8?
5. What odd events had the Cyclops encountered since leaving home port?
6. Why does Jessie LeBaron say that the man found on the Prosperteer is not Raymond LeBaron?
7. Why do the Soviets decide to attack the moon base?
8. Why did Captain Worley put Lieutenant David Forbes under ship's arrest?
9. How are the deaths of the bodies on the blimp similar to a case Rooney had fifteen years ago?
10. What does Senator Dean Porter think about the "handshake in space"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue whether Worley, Captain of the Cyclops, was a German sympathizer. Use examples from the novel to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from "Cyclops", explain how Cussler uses cliffhangers to build tension in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Explain which characters in the novel serve as character foils and how they contrast with the other characters. Use examples from "Cyclops."
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)