|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the executive officer on the Cyclops?
2. What type of an accent does Lieutenant Commander Worley have?
3. At the beginning of the Prologue, how long before the Cyclops becomes a mass tomb?
4. How many times has Lieutenant Church sailed around the world?
5. After Gly is injured during an interrogation session with Pitt, what does he throw at Pitt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Soviets decide to attack the moon base?
2. What is El Dorado and La Dorada?
3. Why do Pitt and crew on the Prosperteer need to be back by 1400 hours?
4. Why can't radioman Sparks call another ship?
5. Why would it have been disastrous for the Prosperteer to collide with the Sonesta Beach Hotel?
6. Why should Jessie LeBaron have been careful not to offend Pitt?
7. What does a Soviet geophysicist find when examining photographs taken by the Selenos 4?
8. Why were some Soviet scientists upset about the cargo of the Selenos 8?
9. Why does Hagen tell the President not to judge the men of the Inner Core too harshly?
10. Describe the Prosperteer.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cussler uses suspense to keep the reader guessing throughout the novel "Cyclops." Explain how elements of suspense are used to advance the plot in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Is the inciting force of the novel the La Dorada or when Jessie, Pitt, Gunn, and Giordino are downed with the Prosperteer? Or is the inciting force something else? Create arguments explaining what the inciting force is of the novel. Use examples from the novel to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Pitt is fully capable of working solo, but is also willing to work as part of team. Show other examples of teamwork in the novel and compare how different groups of characters work together to accomplish a goal or solve a problem.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)