|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Gunn injured when the Prosperteer goes down?
2. How many tons of lunar-soil materials does it take to make two hundred pounds of a bastard metal or five hundred pounds of glass?
3. How many tons of coal can be carried by the Cyclops?
4. Who calls Pitt after he returns home from Miami?
5. What clue does Pitt provide to Detective Victor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can't radioman Sparks call another ship?
2. Why should Jessie LeBaron have been careful not to offend Pitt?
3. Why does the Prosperteer make a good platform for spotting potential shipwreck sites from the air?
4. Why did Pitt place a hair across his door when he escaped from his cell the first time?
5. What is the Jersey Colony?
6. What does Senator Dean Porter think about the "handshake in space"?
7. Describe Lieutenant Commander George Worley.
8. Why are the Russians on Cayo Santa Maria?
9. Describe the Prosperteer.
10. How was the Prosperteer prevented from crashing into the hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Would you consider Pitt to be a hero? Create arguments explaining why Pitt is or is not a hero in the novel. Use examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from "Cyclops", explain how Cussler uses cliffhangers to build tension in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Pitt is fully capable of working solo, but is also willing to work as part of team. Show other examples of teamwork in the novel and compare how different groups of characters work together to accomplish a goal or solve a problem.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)