• On March 9, 1918, Lieutenant John Church contemplates the strange voyage of the Cyclops.
• The ship bound from Rio de Janeiro carries 309 crew and passengers, an odd cargo in a crate, a very ill patient, and a strange man.
• The captain, Lieutenant Commander George Worley, is a drunk who places crew members under house arrest if his orders are not obeyed.
• When a distress call comes in, Church learns that the captain has ordered a communications blackout.
• Church argues with the captain about responding to the distress call and is ordered to his quarters for the remainder of the journey.
• Rather than obeying the captain, Church inspects the ship.
• Church encounters Alfred Gottschalk, the American consul to Brazil, who asks to be escorted to the cargo hold to inspect the crate.
• The crate appears to have been tampered with and opened.
• Suddenly a shadowy figure jumps out and kills...
This section contains 5,924 words
(approx. 20 pages at 300 words per page)