|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Ella going to get money?
2. Where should Emma never purchase sanitary napkins, according to Ella?
3. What color are the curtains and oilcloth in Act One?
4. What does the "intruder" take in Act One?
5. Where is Emma going to go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Emma think Taylor and Ella went in Act Two?
2. What does Wesley say Taylor is after in Act Two?
3. Describe the setting of Act One.
4. Why does Weston think Wesley and Emma are spoiled?
5. Describe Ella's appearance when she enters in Act One.
6. How does Weston feel connected to the rest of his family in Act Three?
7. Why is Weston not surprised that Emma is in jail?
8. Why does Ella call Weston "Mr. Hyde"?
9. How does Weston describe how his father lives?
10. Why does Wesley tell Weston he has to run?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sam Shepard's play, "Curse of the Starving Class", can be classified as a family tragedy play. Explain why this categorization is appropriate or not. What occurs in the play that makes it a family tragedy? Is tragedy too strong of a word? If the play should be reclassified, what is a more appropriate description? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
The lamb Wesley and Weston bring into the house to rid of maggots also plays a significant role in the play. What does the lamb represent? Does the lamb take on different meanings for different characters? Why is the lamb important to the story? Use specific examples from the play in the response.
Essay Topic 3
In "Curse of the Starving Class", each main character is on a quest or searching for something. Choose one of the main characters (Weston, Ella, Emma or Wesley), and describe what that character is searching for. What steps does the character take to find what they are looking for? Is the character successful or not in fulfilling their quest or search? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)