|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps McMurphy beat up the aides?
2. When the Captain calls the number McMurphy gives him, what is he really calling?
3. Does Nurse Ratched punish McMurphy for the glass incident?
4. Who kills McMurphy in the end, suffocating him with a pillow?
5. Who comes up with the plan to try to keep the men from getting into trouble, but still allowing McMurphy to escape?
Essay Topic 1
Some patients on the ward are labels Chronics because they aren't ever going to leave the ward, but is this a reasonable idea? Do you think that some mental diseases cannot be cured? Why or why not? What kinds of symptoms/signs are incurable? Or can every person return to the outside world at one point or another?
Essay Topic 2
McMurphy is certainly the ringleader of many an uprising in the ward, but he's not the only one with aspirations to rebel. Why do you think the rest of the ward is silent in their treatment in the ward? What makes them fear Nurse Ratched so much? Why doesn't McMurphy fear Nurse Ratched? Do you think the other patients would have rebelled without McMurphy's stay at the ward? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The rumors that Nurse Ratched spreads are a part of a passive aggressive strategy to undermine McMurphy's authority in the ward. Do you think these rumors were the best possible plan? Why or why not? What other things could she have done to create a soured image of McMurphy? Why do you think Nurse Ratched prefers more subtle methods of manipulation?
This section contains 1,570 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)