|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fill in the blank: 'When did they sneak that danged ________ in there? Why, that thing is a menace!"
2. What causes the second glass pane to break?
3. Who cuts his throat with a tool he found in the doctor's office?
4. Why does the class get broken?
5. What does the nurse in Disturbed say about Nurse Ratched?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does McMurphy do as they are preparing and performing the electroshock therapy on him?
2. What does McMurphy ask of Chief Broom as they are sharing stories of their lives?
3. What does Nurse Ratched finally do in order to begin to topple the reign of McMurphy?
4. What are some of the memories that the Chief recalls as the electroshock therapy hits him?
5. What do the night attendants do to Chief Broom's bed as he is sleeping?
6. What does Billy maintain in terms of his opinion of McMurphy?
7. What would McMurphy do each time the nurse would ask him if he repented during his stay on the Disturbed ward?
8. What happens to McMurphy when the men are caught after the plan to not get caught doesn't occur as planned?
9. What is Nurse Ratched's reaction to the window that McMurphy breaks?
10. What almost cancels the fishing trip altogether?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chief Bromden doesn't realize just how big he is because of others in his life making him feel small. By the end of the book, do you feel Chief Bromden realizes his size? Why or why not? In what other ways does the Chief feel bigger? What actions demonstrate the way Chief's perception of himself and of his life has changed from the beginning of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The shower scene is dramatic as it shows the bonds between the men on the ward. For all of their mental health troubles, they still understand when someone is being brutalized and they know when that victim needs to be helped. McMurphy jumps in to protect George, which is understandable, but why do you think Chief Broom does too? What is the Chief really fighting when he goes after the orderlies? Why didn't anyone else help?
Essay Topic 3
Some patients on the ward are labels Chronics because they aren't ever going to leave the ward, but is this a reasonable idea? Do you think that some mental diseases cannot be cured? Why or why not? What kinds of symptoms/signs are incurable? Or can every person return to the outside world at one point or another?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)