|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who kills McMurphy in the end, suffocating him with a pillow?
2. Who stands a head taller than anyone else on the ward?
3. What does the nurse in Disturbed say about Nurse Ratched?
4. Why doesn't Chief have any money?
5. Who used to be a football player?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does McMurphy receive from the doctor?
2. What does McMurphy do as they are preparing and performing the electroshock therapy on him?
3. When McMurphy and the Chief are taken to the Shock Shop, what does the Chief vow not to do?
4. What has Chief Bromden been believing about McMurphy?
5. What does McMurphy do to Chief Bromden that makes the Chief upset about McMurphy always 'winning things'?
6. What does the nurse do when the basketball 'accidentally' breaks the nurse's station window again?
7. What happens to McMurphy when the men are caught after the plan to not get caught doesn't occur as planned?
8. What do McMurphy and the Chief do when the attendants try to get George to use soap in his shower?
9. What is the story that McMurphy shares with Chief Broom?
10. What does Nurse Ratched finally do in order to begin to topple the reign of McMurphy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The nurses in the story run the gamut of nice to downright mean and manipulative. Is there a better nursing style in relation to these patients? Why did you answer the way you did? Choose one nurse character as the ideal nurse for this ward. Why did you choose this nurse? Do you think Nurse Ratched's style is well suited for this ward? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The many rebellions against Nurse Ratched show the characters' ability to take action when they want to, but are these rebellions the best idea? Why or why not? What are the benefits of these rebellions? What are the downsides? Can you think of any other way the characters could have dealt with the nurse's manipulations?
Essay Topic 3
Some patients on the ward are labels Chronics because they aren't ever going to leave the ward, but is this a reasonable idea? Do you think that some mental diseases cannot be cured? Why or why not? What kinds of symptoms/signs are incurable? Or can every person return to the outside world at one point or another?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)