|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Candy need for the trip to the ward?
2. How much money does McMurphy offer to the Chief as a result of #146?
3. What are the first words the Chief has spoken in years?
4. Who helps McMurphy beat up the aides?
5. What does McMurphy ask Nurse Ratched for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does McMurphy do to Chief Bromden that makes the Chief upset about McMurphy always 'winning things'?
2. What happens to McMurphy when the men are caught after the plan to not get caught doesn't occur as planned?
3. What do McMurphy and the Chief do when the attendants try to get George to use soap in his shower?
4. What does Nurse Ratched finally do in order to begin to topple the reign of McMurphy?
5. What almost cancels the fishing trip altogether?
6. When the men begin to talk about McMurphy and the things he does, what does Harding remind the men of?
7. What are some of the ways that the men begin to bond together during the fishing trip?
8. What is Nurse Ratched's reaction to the window that McMurphy breaks?
9. Why has Chief Broom been saving up gum?
10. What does Billy maintain in terms of his opinion of McMurphy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The question as to whether or not McMurphy is simply manipulating the men to get what he wants is something that begins to pull the group apart. In your opinion, do you think this is what McMurphy is trying to do? Why or why not? Would it be a bad thing in either case? In the end, what does McMurphy really 'win' in the ward as a result of his actions? Anything?
Essay Topic 2
When the Chief finally decides to speak, he chooses to speak to McMurphy. This is not the only person that McMurphy helps to open up. Why do you think the patients trust McMurphy? What qualities does he possess that make him a confidant? Do you think McMurphy is actually helping in the patients' respective recoveries? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The nurses in the story run the gamut of nice to downright mean and manipulative. Is there a better nursing style in relation to these patients? Why did you answer the way you did? Choose one nurse character as the ideal nurse for this ward. Why did you choose this nurse? Do you think Nurse Ratched's style is well suited for this ward? Why or why not?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)