|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Oedipa after she knocks on the door of Dr. Hilarius's office in Chapter 5?
2. Tristero y Calavera set up his own postal system and called himself El Desheredado, which meant what?
3. What does the Nefastis Machine do?
4. What scientific rule does the Nefastis Machine violate?
5. Oedipa goes to the stamp auction to somehow confront the mysterious bidder for lot 49 and she encounters who?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Oedipa and Metzger go back to The Scope in Chapter 4, Mike Fallopian explains that there exists what kind of underground group?
2. What causes Oedipa to realize that every source of information on the Tristero can somehow be traced to Inverarity?
3. At the end of Chapter 4, Genghis Cohen explains to Oedipa that the dandelion wine is clear now, but becomes cloudy in the spring when the dandelions begin to bloom, as if the dandelions in the wine remembered. What does Oedipa muse about this?
4. What is significant about the fact that the founder of Tristero, Hernando Joaquin de Tristero y Calavera, called himself The Disinherited?
5. How is the campus of Cal State different from when Oedipa was in college?
6. What connection does Oedipa make between the old German stamp with Thurn and Taxis printed on it which has a post horn, resembling the WASTE symbol, in each corner and the scene from The Courier's Tragedy?
7. What is the paradox that Oedipa discovers concerning the Trystero couplet from Driblette's play?
8. Why does Oedipa think it is possible that her search for Tristero may be a hoax created by Pierce Inverarity?
9. What are the four alternatives Oedipa comes up with to explain her discoveries concerning the Tristero?
10. What does the historical marker that Oedipa remembers seeing at Fangoso Lagoons commemorate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Chapter 4 of The Crying of Lot 49 shows Oedipa involved in a process of meaning creation. Give at least four specific examples from events in the chapter.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the function of language and its ability or inability to convey truth as a central thematic strand of the novel. How is this theme intertwined with others in The Crying of Lot 49?
Essay Topic 3
What is the myth of Echo and Narcissus? How is it represented in the setting, characters and themes of The Crying of Lot 49?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)