|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the pond at the center of Fangoso Lagoons?
2. How did Metzger know that Oedipa went to Mexico with Inverarity?
3. Pierce Inverarity was a _____________?
4. What will Oedipa have revelations about as she completes her task for Pierce Inverarity?
5. What is the reason for Tony Jaguar's lawsuit against Pierce Inverarity?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Mike Fallopian, what eventually happened to Peter Pinguid?
2. How did Mucho Maas feel about the used cars his customers brought in for trade-in?
3. How does Oedipa imagine Pierce Inverarity might have died?
4. Why does the moment Oedipa sees San Narciso from a hilltop have a religious quality to her?
5. Describe the manager of the Echo Courts Motel.
6. Why does the manager of the Echo Courts think Oedipa is trying to seduce him?
7. What is the plot of the movie that Metzger starred in as a child?
8. What kind of image does Funch the program director want Mucho to have at the radio station?
9. What is the larger setting of The Crying of Lot 49?
10. What was strange about Pierce Inverarity's call to Oedipa a year ago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the meaninglessness of modern life is a central thematic strand to the narrative of The Crying of Lot 49.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes of The Crying of Lot 49 is that technology does not reveal truth. How is this demonstrated in Chapter 5? Are there other examples of this theme in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the overall theme of the breakdown of communication on the societal level. How was it symbolized and explored throughout the novel? Compare this to how communication breaks down on a personal level for Oedipa.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)