|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a letter from a legal firm, what does Pierce Inverarity request Oedipa do for him?
2. After Oedipa has lunch with her lawyer, what does he ask her to do?
3. The rock group, The Paranoids, is a take off on what famous band?
4. After hearing about his work in Chapter 1, Oedipa tells Mucho that he is too ___________?
5. How did Oedipa know Pierce Inverarity?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Di Presso hiding in a boat at Fangoso Lagoons to avoid his client?
2. Describe the manager of the Echo Courts Motel.
3. How is the sign advertising the Echo Courts in the likeness of Marilyn Monroe?
4. What is suggested by the name of Oedipa's psychiatrist, Dr. Hilarius?
5. What is the larger setting of The Crying of Lot 49?
6. When did Pierce Inverarity die?
7. Why does the manager of the Echo Courts think Oedipa is trying to seduce him?
8. What aspect of Mucho's job does Oedipa compare to a religious officiant conducting a ceremony?
9. What is Mike Fallopian trying to prove in his history of private mail delivery in the U.S.?
10. Who was the Peter Pinguid Society named for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the language of description repeatedly used to suggest that Oedipa's quest for truth is also a quest for religious or spiritual significance in a world apparently devoid of it? Give specific examples throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the overall theme of the breakdown of communication on the societal level. How was it symbolized and explored throughout the novel? Compare this to how communication breaks down on a personal level for Oedipa.
Essay Topic 3
Oedipa's husband is named Mucho Maas, an approximation to the Spanish phrase 'mucho mas,' or 'much more.' What does this suggest the character of Mucho represents in the novel? Give specific examples of how this is shown throughout The Crying of Lot 49.
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)