Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens at the climax of Oedipa and Metzger's intimate relations?
2. Oedipa compares Mucho's angst about his work to what?
3. Fallopian tells Metzger that what two ideas are part of the same creeping horror?
4. What choice does Oedipa make in regard to Dr. Hilarius, even though she recognizes there will never be a way to know if she is cured?
5. On a long ago trip with Pierce Inverarity, where did Oedipa see an exhibition of paintings by Remedios Varo ?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Pierce Inverarity die?
2. What is suggested by the name of Oedipa's psychiatrist, Dr. Hilarius?
3. What do the Paranoids set outside the door of Oedipa's room?
4. What is the paradox that Oedipa discovers concerning the Trystero couplet from Driblette's play?
5. Who was the Peter Pinguid Society named for?
6. What is the larger setting of The Crying of Lot 49?
7. What is the story behind the founding of Inamorati Anonymous?
8. Describe the manager of the Echo Courts Motel.
9. As Oedipa sits in rush hour traffic on the Bay Bridge, what does she determine she knows about Tristero?
10. When Oedipa visits Vesperhaven House, what does Mr. Thoth tell her about his dream?
What is the myth of Echo and Narcissus? How is it represented in the setting, characters and themes of The Crying of Lot 49?
Discuss how the meaninglessness of modern life is a central thematic strand to the narrative of The Crying of Lot 49.
One of the themes of The Crying of Lot 49 is that technology does not reveal truth. How is this demonstrated in Chapter 5? Are there other examples of this theme in the novel?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)