|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipa ask questions about in order to play the game with Metzger?
2. Dr. Hilarius's insistence that Oedipa take part in the experiment reminds Oedipa of what?
3. What does Oedipa see scribbled on the wall of the ladies' room at the bar she is in with Metzger and Mike Fallopian?
4. Oedipa compares the initial contact with _____________ to a performance where the costumes of historical figuration are thickly layered.
5. What does Mucho advise Oedipa to do after she shows him the letter regarding Pierce Inverarity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story behind the founding of Inamorati Anonymous?
2. When Oedipa and Metzger go back to The Scope in Chapter 4, Mike Fallopian explains that there exists what kind of underground group?
3. What is suggested by the name of Oedipa's psychiatrist, Dr. Hilarius?
4. What is the plot of the movie that Metzger starred in as a child?
5. As she is losing the game of Strip Botticelli, what does Oedipa remove first?
6. Oedipa compares her search for The Tristero to what process?
7. Why does Oedipa consider her job as co-executor to be similar to Driblette's job as director of a play?
8. What is unusual about the postmark on the letter Oedipa receives from Mucho?
9. By gathering clues from diverse obscure sources, what is the account of how the Tristero organization began that Oedipa pieces together?
10. What is Pynchon ridiculing through all of Oedipa's in-depth research into the Trystero?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fate is a dominant theme in The Crying of Lot 49. 1) Discuss this theme throughout the novel. 2) How is Oedipa trying to find out the fate of America, not just her own fate?
Essay Topic 2
Oedipa's search for truth leads her to visit, along with Metzger, the Paranoids and their girlfriends, Inverarity's housing development, and Fangoso Lagoons.
1) Explain the significance of this setting to the thematic aspects of the novel.
2) Describe how the characters themselves and their actions in this scene embody certain themes of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the meaninglessness of modern life is a central thematic strand to the narrative of The Crying of Lot 49.
This section contains 1,802 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)