|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What choice does Oedipa make in regard to Dr. Hilarius, even though she recognizes there will never be a way to know if she is cured?
2. What kind of music is played at the bar near the Yoyodyne plant?
3. The rock group, The Paranoids, is a take off on what famous band?
4. What was the previous occupation of Mucho Mass?
5. What does Oedipa ask questions about in order to play the game with Metzger?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can't Mucho Maas drink honey in his coffee?
2. How is the sign advertising the Echo Courts in the likeness of Marilyn Monroe?
3. What is suggested by the name of Oedipa's psychiatrist, Dr. Hilarius?
4. What was strange about Pierce Inverarity's call to Oedipa a year ago?
5. What do the Paranoids set outside the door of Oedipa's room?
6. What does Oedipa do in the bathroom of the Echo Courts motel room prior to playing a game with Metzger?
7. How did Mucho Maas feel about the used cars his customers brought in for trade-in?
8. What is the larger setting of The Crying of Lot 49?
9. What is Mike Fallopian trying to prove in his history of private mail delivery in the U.S.?
10. Why is Di Presso hiding in a boat at Fangoso Lagoons to avoid his client?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pynchon bases Oedipa Maas on the Greek Myth of Oedipus.
1) Give a synopsis of the Oedipus Myth.
2) Compare the character of Oedipa to that of Oedipus. How are their struggles similar? What larger theme is Pynchon conveying with the use of the myth?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Chapter 4 of The Crying of Lot 49 shows Oedipa involved in a process of meaning creation. Give at least four specific examples from events in the chapter.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the function of language and its ability or inability to convey truth as a central thematic strand of the novel. How is this theme intertwined with others in The Crying of Lot 49?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)