|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Oedipa's lawyer?
2. What is the actual first name of Oedipa's husband, Mucho Maas?
3. What is the name of the movie Metzger starred in as a child?
4. What is Fangoso Lagoons?
5. As the novel begins, Mrs. Oedipa Maas arrives home from where?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can electronic music be performed live at The Scope bar?
2. What was strange about Pierce Inverarity's call to Oedipa a year ago?
3. According to Mike Fallopian, what eventually happened to Peter Pinguid?
4. As Oedipa seeks a motel to escape the illusion of speed and freedom that driving provides, to what does she compare the road?
5. Describe the manager of the Echo Courts Motel.
6. What is the plot of the movie that Metzger starred in as a child?
7. What is the metaphor Oedipa is referring to about The Trystero and the costumes of historical figures?
8. What is scribbled next to a message advertising the WASTE group on the bathroom wall of The Scope?
9. What aspect of Mucho's job does Oedipa compare to a religious officiant conducting a ceremony?
10. Why can't Mucho Maas drink honey in his coffee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the Nefastis Machine is used as a metaphor for language within the novel. What does the use of a complicated scientific machine convey about Pynchon's views about language and communication?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the function of language and its ability or inability to convey truth as a central thematic strand of the novel. How is this theme intertwined with others in The Crying of Lot 49?
Essay Topic 3
Fate is a dominant theme in The Crying of Lot 49. 1) Discuss this theme throughout the novel. 2) How is Oedipa trying to find out the fate of America, not just her own fate?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)