|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Oedipa meets Mike Fallopian for the second time, he tells her it is difficult to find documentary proof of what?
(a) The Second Law of Thermodynamics.
(b) Acts of true kindness.
(c) The Trystero.
(d) Attacks on mail carriers.
2. What happens when Oedipa returns to her hotel in Berkeley?
(a) She finds Mucho waiting in her room.
(b) She sleeps wtih John Nefastis.
(c) A young man waltzes her around the ballroom.
(d) She sees the ghost of Inverarity.
3. According to Stanley Koteks, who are the only ones who can work the Nefastis Machine?
4. A young female graduate student reveals to Oedipa that ________ drowned himself in the Pacific Ocean two days ago.
5. Oedipa goes to the stamp auction to somehow confront the mysterious bidder for lot 49 and she encounters who?
(a) Genghis Cohen.
(b) John Nefastis.
(d) Mucho Maas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Nefastis Machine do?
2. Where does Genghis Cohen want to send several of the stamps he is reviewing for Oedipa?
3. Why does Oedipa return to Kinneret to see Dr. Hilarius?
4. Mr. Thoth, a resident of the home for senior citizens, wakes from a doze and mentions to Oedipa that his grandfather rode for the ______________.
5. Oedipa has a conversation in a bar with the wearer of the lapel pin, and he tells her he is a member of what group?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the four alternatives Oedipa comes up with to explain her discoveries concerning the Tristero?
2. Why are WASTE mail boxes located under freeways?
3. What connection does Oedipa make between the old German stamp with Thurn and Taxis printed on it which has a post horn, resembling the WASTE symbol, in each corner and the scene from The Courier's Tragedy?
4. What is the story behind the religious splinter group known as the Scurvhamites that Professor Bortz tells Oedipa about?
5. Give examples of individuals with the post horn symbol who are somehow alienated from society.
6. What is meant by Oedipa seeing Genghis Cohen, the philatelist, framed in a long succession of doorways?
7. Why does Oedipa consider her job as co-executor to be similar to Driblette's job as director of a play?
8. Why does Nefastis contend that only a sensitive person can work his machine?
9. How is the campus of Cal State different from when Oedipa was in college?
10. At the end of Chapter 4, Genghis Cohen explains to Oedipa that the dandelion wine is clear now, but becomes cloudy in the spring when the dandelions begin to bloom, as if the dandelions in the wine remembered. What does Oedipa muse about this?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)