|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Oedipa try to call from a phone booth before she heads to the bookstore?
2. Oedipa recites the couplet from the play which mentions Trystero and Bortz and says the quote came from a pornographic version of the play which was held where?
(a) A Puritan settlement.
(c) The Vatican.
(d) San Francico.
3. Oedipa, accompanied by Bortz and the graduate students, attends the funeral and tries to reach out to some remaining trace of life in the grave in a similar fashion to what?
(a) Communicating with Maxwell's Demon.
(b) A seance.
(c) Communicating with sensitives.
(d) A hallucination.
4. Why does Oedipa return to Kinneret to see Dr. Hilarius?
(a) To see if she is suffering from psychosis.
(b) To get tranquilzers.
(c) To tell him she longer wants to be his patient.
(d) To get hallucinogenic drugs.
5. What is the purpose of the group as explained by the tourist wearing the lapel pin?
(a) It is a secret society of reformed sinners.
(b) To help people not fall in love.
(c) To help people fall in love.
(d) It is a secret society of renegade postal workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bortz hands Oedipa an ancient book about the _________ travels of Dr. Diocletian Blobb.
2. What is the name of the religious splinter group Bortz attributes to changing the pornographic version of the play?
3. Which of the following is NOT a place that Oedipa encountered the WASTE symbol?
4. The pattern of information Oedipa sees forming in Chapter 4 has to do with what?
5. In her investigations in Chapter 4, Oedipa goes to what kind of meeting at Yoyodyne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story behind the religious splinter group known as the Scurvhamites that Professor Bortz tells Oedipa about?
2. What are the four alternatives Oedipa comes up with to explain her discoveries concerning the Tristero?
3. By gathering clues from diverse obscure sources, what is the account of how the Tristero organization began that Oedipa pieces together?
4. The men Oedipa meets on her journey end up abandoning her. What were some of their fates and what did they represent?
5. According to Jesus Arrabal, what is the miracle of Inverarity?
6. Why are WASTE mail boxes located under freeways?
7. How is the campus of Cal State different from when Oedipa was in college?
8. What is the paradox that Oedipa discovers concerning the Trystero couplet from Driblette's play?
9. What is Pynchon ridiculing through all of Oedipa's in-depth research into the Trystero?
10. When Oedipa and Metzger go back to The Scope in Chapter 4, Mike Fallopian explains that there exists what kind of underground group?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)