|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On her way to visit Emory Bortz, what building does Oedipa see burned down?
(a) Vespers House.
(b) Zapf's Used Books.
(c) KCUF radio station.
(d) The Tank Theater.
2. Genghis Cohen informs Oedipa that a mysterious new bidder requested to view the stamps in lot 49, but the request was denied for what reason?
(a) He was in prison.
(b) He refused to give his credit card number.
(c) The agent was on the list of prohibited bidders.
(d) The agent refused to give the bidder's name.
3. Tristero y Calavera set up his own postal system and called himself El Desheredado, which meant what?
(a) The Disinherited.
(b) The Disenfranchised.
(c) The Desperate.
(d) The Dangerous.
4. What scientific rule does the Nefastis Machine violate?
(a) The WASTE Law.
(b) Second Law of Thermodynamics.
(c) First Law of Thermodynamics.
(d) The Law of Triads.
5. What is the name of the auctioneer who will be crying the lots the day Oedipa goes?
(a) Luke Passion.
(b) Loren Passerine.
(c) Lone Passtime.
(d) Lorne Passering.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Oedipa returns to the bar near the Yoyodyne plant, who does she find surrounded by women and dressed in army fatigues as if he were a guerrilla leader?
2. After arriving at Dr. Hilarius's clinic, Oedipa is told what by the doctor's assistant?
3. While wandering amongst the tourists in downtown San Francisco, Oedipa sees what on a lapel pin?
4. What is on the cover of the book she purchases at Zapf's Used Books?
5. As Oedipa sits in the apartment in Berkeley concentrating and awaiting the demon's message, what is on the TV?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the campus of Cal State different from when Oedipa was in college?
2. The men Oedipa meets on her journey end up abandoning her. What were some of their fates and what did they represent?
3. What is significant about the fact that the founder of Tristero, Hernando Joaquin de Tristero y Calavera, called himself The Disinherited?
4. Give examples of individuals with the post horn symbol who are somehow alienated from society.
5. Why does Nefastis contend that only a sensitive person can work his machine?
6. According to Jesus Arrabal, what is the miracle of Inverarity?
7. As Oedipa sits in rush hour traffic on the Bay Bridge, what does she determine she knows about Tristero?
8. The overall crisis Oedipa faces by the end of the novel could be summed up how?
9. In addition to visiting John Nefastis, why does Oedipa need to go to Berkeley?
10. What is the story behind the religious splinter group known as the Scurvhamites that Professor Bortz tells Oedipa about?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)