|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Genghis Cohen, who organized the courier service in the Bergamo region around 1290?
(a) Thurn Tassis.
(b) Omedio Tassis.
(c) Thurn Taxis.
(d) Oliver Tass.
2. Which of the following is NOT a place that Oedipa encountered the WASTE symbol?
(a) An herbalist's window in Chinatown.
(b) Written in chalk on a sidewalk.
(c) A message in a fortune cookie.
(d) Gang jackets of delinquents at the city beach.
3. Genghis Cohen shows Oedipa a Pony Express stamp from 1940 with the _______ symbol on the back.
4. Oedipa flees Berkley in Chapter 5 and finds herself on a freeway at rush hour, heading for _________.
(a) Los Angelos.
(b) San Francisco.
(c) The wharf.
(d) The Bay Bridge.
5. In Chapter 5, it is explained that the equations for the entropy of heat-engines coincidentally resemble the equations for what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Bortz imagines one visionary militant addressing a group of Tristero members in a tavern to propose a merger with official postal couriers. What name does he give to this visionary?
2. When Oedipa meets Mike Fallopian for the second time, he tells her it is difficult to find documentary proof of what?
3. The name Tristero can be traced back to Hernando Joaquin de Tristero y Calavera who claimed to be _________ and thus the rightful Grand Master of the Post.
4. Whose address in Berkeley does Stanley Koteks give to Oedipa?
5. What is the name of the home for senior citizens that Oedipa visits?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Nefastis Machine as it was explained by Stanley Koteks.
2. In addition to visiting John Nefastis, why does Oedipa need to go to Berkeley?
3. The men Oedipa meets on her journey end up abandoning her. What were some of their fates and what did they represent?
4. By gathering clues from diverse obscure sources, what is the account of how the Tristero organization began that Oedipa pieces together?
5. At the end of Chapter 4, Genghis Cohen explains to Oedipa that the dandelion wine is clear now, but becomes cloudy in the spring when the dandelions begin to bloom, as if the dandelions in the wine remembered. What does Oedipa muse about this?
6. Inamorati Anonymous' association to the muted post horn symbol seems purely accidental, yet what are some similarities this group has to the Tristero?
7. When Oedipa and Metzger go back to The Scope in Chapter 4, Mike Fallopian explains that there exists what kind of underground group?
8. What connection does Oedipa make between the old German stamp with Thurn and Taxis printed on it which has a post horn, resembling the WASTE symbol, in each corner and the scene from The Courier's Tragedy?
9. Why are WASTE mail boxes located under freeways?
10. According to Jesus Arrabal, what is the miracle of Inverarity?
This section contains 1,246 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)