|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Oedipa arrives at a German Baroque hotel in the Berkeley hills which is hosting a meeting of what organization?
(a) California Chapter of the American Scientist Assembly.
(b) California Chapter of the American Hearing-impaired Assembly.
(c) California Chapter of the American Blind Assembly.
(d) California Chapter of the American Deaf-Mute Assembly.
2. What is the purpose of the group as explained by the tourist wearing the lapel pin?
(a) To help people not fall in love.
(b) To help people fall in love.
(c) It is a secret society of renegade postal workers.
(d) It is a secret society of reformed sinners.
3. As Oedipa drives to Berkeley to find the source text for the Jacobean revenge play, she misses the exit to where?
(a) The hotel.
(b) The wharf.
(d) The Bay Bridge.
4. Oedipa recites the couplet from the play which mentions Trystero and Bortz and says the quote came from a pornographic version of the play which was held where?
(a) A Puritan settlement.
(b) San Francico.
(d) The Vatican.
5. Genghis Cohen shows Oedipa an old German stamp with Thurn and Taxis printed on it which has a special symbol in each corner. He suggests that the extra mark on the symbol is a ______.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Nefastis Machine do?
2. What is on the cover of the book she purchases at Zapf's Used Books?
3. According to Stanley Koteks, who are the only ones who can work the Nefastis Machine?
4. Oedipa's hotel room in the Berkeley hills contains a reproduction of whose painting?
5. A young female graduate student reveals to Oedipa that ________ drowned himself in the Pacific Ocean two days ago.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story behind the religious splinter group known as the Scurvhamites that Professor Bortz tells Oedipa about?
2. What is meant by Oedipa seeing Genghis Cohen, the philatelist, framed in a long succession of doorways?
3. Why are WASTE mail boxes located under freeways?
4. Oedipa discovers that the line from Driblette's version in Plays of Ford, Webster, Tourneur and Wharfinger about Trystero was replaced by another referring to what?
5. Describe the Nefastis Machine as it was explained by Stanley Koteks.
6. The overall crisis Oedipa faces by the end of the novel could be summed up how?
7. Why does Nefastis contend that only a sensitive person can work his machine?
8. How is the campus of Cal State different from when Oedipa was in college?
9. What is Pynchon ridiculing through all of Oedipa's in-depth research into the Trystero?
10. Why does Oedipa consider her job as co-executor to be similar to Driblette's job as director of a play?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)