|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Oedipa sits in the apartment in Berkeley concentrating and awaiting the demon's message, what is on the TV?
(a) Metzger's movie.
(b) News about China.
(c) News about Viet Nam.
2. Who is Genghis Cohen?
(a) A psychiatrist.
(b) A philatelist.
(c) A philosopher.
(d) A philanthropist.
3. When Oedipa calls Emory Bortz, what does his wife Grace tell her Bortz is doing at the moment?
(a) Killing their children.
(c) Pouring drinks.
(d) Pouring a patio.
4. Oedipa, accompanied by Bortz and the graduate students, attends the funeral and tries to reach out to some remaining trace of life in the grave in a similar fashion to what?
(a) Communicating with Maxwell's Demon.
(b) A hallucination.
(c) Communicating with sensitives.
(d) A seance.
5. Oedipa recites the couplet from the play which mentions Trystero and Bortz and says the quote came from a pornographic version of the play which was held where?
(b) The Vatican.
(c) San Francico.
(d) A Puritan settlement.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipa see on an airmail stamp with a jet flying by the Capital dome that is on the letter the old drunk asks her to mail?
2. What is on the cover of the book she purchases at Zapf's Used Books?
3. When Oedipa returns to the bar near the Yoyodyne plant, who does she find surrounded by women and dressed in army fatigues as if he were a guerrilla leader?
4. What scientific rule does the Nefastis Machine violate?
5. Dr. Hilarius protests that if he had been a real Nazi he would have become a Jungian. Instead, he chose to follow __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. When Oedipa visits Vesperhaven House, what does Mr. Thoth tell her about his dream?
2. Inamorati Anonymous' association to the muted post horn symbol seems purely accidental, yet what are some similarities this group has to the Tristero?
3. At the end of Chapter 4, Genghis Cohen explains to Oedipa that the dandelion wine is clear now, but becomes cloudy in the spring when the dandelions begin to bloom, as if the dandelions in the wine remembered. What does Oedipa muse about this?
4. The overall crisis Oedipa faces by the end of the novel could be summed up how?
5. What are the four alternatives Oedipa comes up with to explain her discoveries concerning the Tristero?
6. The men Oedipa meets on her journey end up abandoning her. What were some of their fates and what did they represent?
7. Oedipa compares her search for The Tristero to what process?
8. Describe the Nefastis Machine as it was explained by Stanley Koteks.
9. Why does Oedipa think it is possible that her search for Tristero may be a hoax created by Pierce Inverarity?
10. Oedipa discovers that the line from Driblette's version in Plays of Ford, Webster, Tourneur and Wharfinger about Trystero was replaced by another referring to what?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)