|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Oedipa returns to the bar near the Yoyodyne plant, who does she find surrounded by women and dressed in army fatigues as if he were a guerrilla leader?
(d) Mike Fallopian.
2. Who answers the phone when Oedipa tries to call Driblette from her motel room in Chapter 6?
(a) Driblette's mother.
(b) His girlfriend.
(c) Grace Bortz.
(d) A graduate student.
3. How does Oedipa end up at the desk of Stanley Koteks?
(a) They are former lovers.
(b) She follows the WASTE symbols.
(c) She gets lost on a tour of Yoyodyne.
(d) She is directed there by voices in her head.
4. After arriving at Dr. Hilarius's clinic, Oedipa is told what by the doctor's assistant?
(a) He is in love with Oedipa.
(b) He is moving to China.
(c) He has gone crazy.
(d) He is head of the WASTE organization.
5. Genghis Cohen claims that the stamp, which depicts a Pony Express rider galloping out of a western fort into a black feather, is what?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Oedipa's search for the source text for the Jacobean revenge play , the publisher sends her to a warehouse in what city?
2. When Oedipa visits Genghis Cohen for the first time, what does he give her to drink?
3. What scientific rule does the Nefastis Machine violate?
4. Mucho's boss, Funch, says Mucho is losing his identity and becoming more ________.
5. The name Tristero can be traced back to Hernando Joaquin de Tristero y Calavera who claimed to be _________ and thus the rightful Grand Master of the Post.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story behind the religious splinter group known as the Scurvhamites that Professor Bortz tells Oedipa about?
2. What does the historical marker that Oedipa remembers seeing at Fangoso Lagoons commemorate?
3. Why does Oedipa think it is possible that her search for Tristero may be a hoax created by Pierce Inverarity?
4. According to Jesus Arrabal, what is the miracle of Inverarity?
5. In addition to visiting John Nefastis, why does Oedipa need to go to Berkeley?
6. Bortz hands Oedipa an ancient book about the Italian travels of Dr. Diocletian Blobb. What does this story have to do with the Trystero?
7. Describe the Nefastis Machine as it was explained by Stanley Koteks.
8. The overall crisis Oedipa faces by the end of the novel could be summed up how?
9. Oedipa discovers that the line from Driblette's version in Plays of Ford, Webster, Tourneur and Wharfinger about Trystero was replaced by another referring to what?
10. What causes Oedipa to realize that every source of information on the Tristero can somehow be traced to Inverarity?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)