|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After arriving at Dr. Hilarius's clinic, Oedipa is told what by the doctor's assistant?
(a) He has gone crazy.
(b) He is head of the WASTE organization.
(c) He is moving to China.
(d) He is in love with Oedipa.
2. Stanley Koteks tells Oedipa ________________ is a "symptom of the gutlessness of the whole society."
3. Where does Stanley Koteks tell Oedipa to go instead of Berkeley after he becomes distrustful of her?
(a) San Narciso.
(c) Los Angeles.
(d) San Francisco.
4. At Professor Bortz's house, Oedipa asks Bortz to tell her about the historical Wharfinger. Bortz sneers, saying he can only talk about __________.
5. What does Mucho offer to Oedipa before they leave the pizzeria?
(a) A divorce.
(c) His forgiveness.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Stanley Koteks, who are the only ones who can work the Nefastis Machine?
2. Oedipa arrives at a German Baroque hotel in the Berkeley hills which is hosting a meeting of what organization?
3. Suffering nightmares and various symptoms, Oedipa goes to a doctor and requests a pregnancy test under what name?
4. Oedipa, accompanied by Bortz and the graduate students, attends the funeral and tries to reach out to some remaining trace of life in the grave in a similar fashion to what?
5. Bortz suggests to Oedipa that Tristero might have caused ______ simply in order to issue the Proclamation of the 9th Frimaire, An III, ending the sanctioned postal monopoly.
Short Essay Questions
1. The men Oedipa meets on her journey end up abandoning her. What were some of their fates and what did they represent?
2. Oedipa discovers that the line from Driblette's version in Plays of Ford, Webster, Tourneur and Wharfinger about Trystero was replaced by another referring to what?
3. What does the historical marker that Oedipa remembers seeing at Fangoso Lagoons commemorate?
4. The overall crisis Oedipa faces by the end of the novel could be summed up how?
5. Bortz hands Oedipa an ancient book about the Italian travels of Dr. Diocletian Blobb. What does this story have to do with the Trystero?
6. What is the paradox that Oedipa discovers concerning the Trystero couplet from Driblette's play?
7. Describe the Nefastis Machine as it was explained by Stanley Koteks.
8. In addition to visiting John Nefastis, why does Oedipa need to go to Berkeley?
9. What is the story behind the founding of Inamorati Anonymous?
10. Why does Oedipa consider her job as co-executor to be similar to Driblette's job as director of a play?
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)