|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Mucho and Oedipa eat at a pizzeria, what does Mucho notice about one violin heard on the Muzak playing in the restaurant?
(a) The C string is out of tune.
(b) The bass is too high.
(c) The E string is tuned too sharp.
(d) The bass is too low.
2. Tristero y Calavera set up his own postal system and called himself El Desheredado, which meant what?
(a) The Dangerous.
(b) The Desperate.
(c) The Disinherited.
(d) The Disenfranchised.
3. Oedipa has a conversation in a bar with the wearer of the lapel pin, and he tells her he is a member of what group?
(a) Thurn and Tassis.
(b) Inamorati Anonymous.
(c) Love Annonymors.
(d) Immorality Anonymous.
4. Oedipa arrives at a German Baroque hotel in the Berkeley hills which is hosting a meeting of what organization?
(a) California Chapter of the American Blind Assembly.
(b) California Chapter of the American Scientist Assembly.
(c) California Chapter of the American Deaf-Mute Assembly.
(d) California Chapter of the American Hearing-impaired Assembly.
5. In her investigations in Chapter 4, Oedipa goes to what kind of meeting at Yoyodyne?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stanley Koteks ask Oedipa to look into at Yoyodyne when he thinks she is connected to the company?
2. Genghis Cohen told Oedipa, during their discussion about the meanings behind the stamps, that he had never heard of an _______ year tradition of postal fraud.
3. In Oedipa's search for the source text for the Jacobean revenge play , the publisher sends her to a warehouse in what city?
4. Who does Oedipa find at an all-night Mexican diner in San Francisco?
5. Which of the following is NOT a place that Oedipa encountered the WASTE symbol?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nefastis contend that only a sensitive person can work his machine?
2. What is the paradox that Oedipa discovers concerning the Trystero couplet from Driblette's play?
3. What is significant about the fact that the founder of Tristero, Hernando Joaquin de Tristero y Calavera, called himself The Disinherited?
4. What are the four alternatives Oedipa comes up with to explain her discoveries concerning the Tristero?
5. Why does Oedipa think it is possible that her search for Tristero may be a hoax created by Pierce Inverarity?
6. What is the story behind the religious splinter group known as the Scurvhamites that Professor Bortz tells Oedipa about?
7. Bortz hands Oedipa an ancient book about the Italian travels of Dr. Diocletian Blobb. What does this story have to do with the Trystero?
8. At the end of Chapter 4, Genghis Cohen explains to Oedipa that the dandelion wine is clear now, but becomes cloudy in the spring when the dandelions begin to bloom, as if the dandelions in the wine remembered. What does Oedipa muse about this?
9. What connection does Oedipa make between the old German stamp with Thurn and Taxis printed on it which has a post horn, resembling the WASTE symbol, in each corner and the scene from The Courier's Tragedy?
10. The men Oedipa meets on her journey end up abandoning her. What were some of their fates and what did they represent?
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)