|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose address in Berkeley does Stanley Koteks give to Oedipa?
(a) Pierce Inverarity.
(b) John Nefastis.
(c) Zapf's Used Books.
(d) The WASTE group.
2. Who does Oedipa dream about as she sleeps in the hotel in Berkeley?
3. Genghis Cohen claims that the stamp, which depicts a Pony Express rider galloping out of a western fort into a black feather, is what?
4. Oedipa drives around the freeway at night without her lights on, and then ends up in a phone booth calling which bar in San Francisco?
(a) The Scope.
(b) The Geek Way.
(c) The Accidental Meeting.
(d) The Greek Way.
5. The San Francisco tourist wearing the lapel pin advises Oedipa to write his group's founder through the ____ system.
(a) Peter Pinguid Society.
(d) Underground mail.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on the cover of the book she purchases at Zapf's Used Books?
2. Tristero y Calavera set up his own postal system and called himself El Desheredado, which meant what?
3. Mr. Thoth pulls a gold signet ring with the ________ symbol out of his knitting bag, which he says his grandfather cut from the finger of an Indian he had killed.
4. Why does Oedipa return to Kinneret to see Dr. Hilarius?
5. What does Oedipa see on an airmail stamp with a jet flying by the Capital dome that is on the letter the old drunk asks her to mail?
Short Essay Questions
1. By gathering clues from diverse obscure sources, what is the account of how the Tristero organization began that Oedipa pieces together?
2. How is the campus of Cal State different from when Oedipa was in college?
3. According to Jesus Arrabal, what is the miracle of Inverarity?
4. When Oedipa and Metzger go back to The Scope in Chapter 4, Mike Fallopian explains that there exists what kind of underground group?
5. When Oedipa visits Vesperhaven House, what does Mr. Thoth tell her about his dream?
6. Inamorati Anonymous' association to the muted post horn symbol seems purely accidental, yet what are some similarities this group has to the Tristero?
7. Oedipa compares her search for The Tristero to what process?
8. What is Pynchon ridiculing through all of Oedipa's in-depth research into the Trystero?
9. What connection does Oedipa make between the old German stamp with Thurn and Taxis printed on it which has a post horn, resembling the WASTE symbol, in each corner and the scene from The Courier's Tragedy?
10. Why does Oedipa think it is possible that her search for Tristero may be a hoax created by Pierce Inverarity?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)