|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Genghis Cohen told Oedipa, during their discussion about the meanings behind the stamps, that he had never heard of an _______ year tradition of postal fraud.
2. What does the owner of the government surplus store, Winthrop Tremaine, tell Oedipa there is a large demand for?
(a) Rifles and swastika armbands.
(b) SS uniforms.
(c) School clothing.
3. Oedipa has a conversation in a bar with the wearer of the lapel pin, and he tells her he is a member of what group?
(a) Thurn and Tassis.
(b) Immorality Anonymous.
(c) Love Annonymors.
(d) Inamorati Anonymous.
4. What does Stanley Koteks ask Oedipa to look into at Yoyodyne when he thinks she is connected to the company?
(a) Mandatory teamwork.
(b) Clause on research.
(c) Smoking ban.
(d) Clause on patents.
5. As Oedipa walks around the college campus in Chapter 5, she realizes her education made her what?
(a) Unfit for deciphering texts.
(b) Unfit for protests.
(c) Unfit for being a sensitive.
(d) Unfit for this world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Stanley Koteks doodling when Oedipa comes up to his desk?
2. At Professor Bortz's house, Oedipa asks Bortz to tell her about the historical Wharfinger. Bortz sneers, saying he can only talk about __________.
3. Genghis Cohen shows Oedipa an old German stamp with Thurn and Taxis printed on it which has a special symbol in each corner. He suggests that the extra mark on the symbol is a ______.
4. Tristero y Calavera set up his own postal system and called himself El Desheredado, which meant what?
5. What does Oedipa see on an airmail stamp with a jet flying by the Capital dome that is on the letter the old drunk asks her to mail?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Nefastis Machine as it was explained by Stanley Koteks.
2. What connection does Oedipa make between the old German stamp with Thurn and Taxis printed on it which has a post horn, resembling the WASTE symbol, in each corner and the scene from The Courier's Tragedy?
3. The men Oedipa meets on her journey end up abandoning her. What were some of their fates and what did they represent?
4. Why does Oedipa consider her job as co-executor to be similar to Driblette's job as director of a play?
5. What is significant about the fact that the founder of Tristero, Hernando Joaquin de Tristero y Calavera, called himself The Disinherited?
6. Oedipa discovers that the line from Driblette's version in Plays of Ford, Webster, Tourneur and Wharfinger about Trystero was replaced by another referring to what?
7. Why does Nefastis contend that only a sensitive person can work his machine?
8. In addition to visiting John Nefastis, why does Oedipa need to go to Berkeley?
9. At the end of Chapter 4, Genghis Cohen explains to Oedipa that the dandelion wine is clear now, but becomes cloudy in the spring when the dandelions begin to bloom, as if the dandelions in the wine remembered. What does Oedipa muse about this?
10. The overall crisis Oedipa faces by the end of the novel could be summed up how?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)