|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 4, who does Oedipa tell Stanley Koteks she is?
(a) A design engineer.
(b) A stockholder.
(c) A patent inspector.
(d) A board member.
2. How many errors did Genghis Cohen find in the stamp collection Oedipa showed him?
3. On her way to visit Emory Bortz, what building does Oedipa see burned down?
(a) Zapf's Used Books.
(b) KCUF radio station.
(c) Vespers House.
(d) The Tank Theater.
4. Who does Oedipa find at an all-night Mexican diner in San Francisco?
(a) John Nefastis.
(b) Grace Bortz.
(c) Randolph Driblette.
(d) Jesus Arrabal.
5. While walking down a stretch of railroad track, Oedipa remembers that Inverarity had once told her the secret to success was what?
(a) Keep it going.
(b) Buy low, sell high.
(c) Trust no one.
(d) Keep it bouncing.
Short Answer Questions
1. A young female graduate student reveals to Oedipa that ________ drowned himself in the Pacific Ocean two days ago.
2. Who does Oedipa tell Stanley Koteks sent her to him as she comes upon him doodling at his desk at Yoyodyne?
3. What kind of stamp does Genghis Cohen invite Oedipa over to view that bears the muted post horn, belly-up badger, and a motto referring to Tristero's empire?
4. What is the name of the auctioneer who will be crying the lots the day Oedipa goes?
5. What is the name of the home for senior citizens that Oedipa visits?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Oedipa visits Vesperhaven House, what does Mr. Thoth tell her about his dream?
2. Why does Nefastis contend that only a sensitive person can work his machine?
3. According to Jesus Arrabal, what is the miracle of Inverarity?
4. What is the story behind the founding of Inamorati Anonymous?
5. Inamorati Anonymous' association to the muted post horn symbol seems purely accidental, yet what are some similarities this group has to the Tristero?
6. What does the historical marker that Oedipa remembers seeing at Fangoso Lagoons commemorate?
7. What is Pynchon ridiculing through all of Oedipa's in-depth research into the Trystero?
8. When Oedipa and Metzger go back to The Scope in Chapter 4, Mike Fallopian explains that there exists what kind of underground group?
9. What is the story behind the religious splinter group known as the Scurvhamites that Professor Bortz tells Oedipa about?
10. How is the campus of Cal State different from when Oedipa was in college?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)