|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Genghis Cohen shows Oedipa a Pony Express stamp from 1940 with the _______ symbol on the back.
2. Bortz leads Oedipa into a study to view woodcut illustrations from the pornographic version of the play. What does she see hovering in the background of the obscene images?
(c) WASTE symbol.
3. Oedipa goes to the stamp auction to somehow confront the mysterious bidder for lot 49 and she encounters who?
(a) John Nefastis.
(b) Genghis Cohen.
(d) Mucho Maas.
4. Oedipa arrives at a German Baroque hotel in the Berkeley hills which is hosting a meeting of what organization?
(a) California Chapter of the American Scientist Assembly.
(b) California Chapter of the American Blind Assembly.
(c) California Chapter of the American Hearing-impaired Assembly.
(d) California Chapter of the American Deaf-Mute Assembly.
5. As Oedipa walks around the college campus in Chapter 5, she realizes her education made her what?
(a) Unfit for being a sensitive.
(b) Unfit for deciphering texts.
(c) Unfit for protests.
(d) Unfit for this world.
Short Answer Questions
1. Oedipa returns to Echo Courts to find the Paranoids in shock because _________ ran off with one of their girlfriends.
2. Genghis Cohen informs Oedipa that a mysterious new bidder requested to view the stamps in lot 49, but the request was denied for what reason?
3. Who answers the phone when Oedipa tries to call Driblette from her motel room in Chapter 6?
4. Mr. Thoth pulls a gold signet ring with the ________ symbol out of his knitting bag, which he says his grandfather cut from the finger of an Indian he had killed.
5. Whose address in Berkeley does Stanley Koteks give to Oedipa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Oedipa compares her search for The Tristero to what process?
2. How is the campus of Cal State different from when Oedipa was in college?
3. What does the historical marker that Oedipa remembers seeing at Fangoso Lagoons commemorate?
4. When Oedipa and Metzger go back to The Scope in Chapter 4, Mike Fallopian explains that there exists what kind of underground group?
5. What is Pynchon ridiculing through all of Oedipa's in-depth research into the Trystero?
6. Describe the Nefastis Machine as it was explained by Stanley Koteks.
7. By gathering clues from diverse obscure sources, what is the account of how the Tristero organization began that Oedipa pieces together?
8. What is the story behind the founding of Inamorati Anonymous?
9. What is meant by Oedipa seeing Genghis Cohen, the philatelist, framed in a long succession of doorways?
10. Why are WASTE mail boxes located under freeways?
This section contains 1,291 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)