|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is on the cover of the book she purchases at Zapf's Used Books?
(a) A Tristero.
(b) The Nefastis Machine.
(c) A WASTE symbol.
(d) A Skull.
2. Why does Oedipa return to Kinneret to see Dr. Hilarius?
(a) To get tranquilzers.
(b) To see if she is suffering from psychosis.
(c) To get hallucinogenic drugs.
(d) To tell him she longer wants to be his patient.
3. Who answers the phone when Oedipa tries to call Driblette from her motel room in Chapter 6?
(a) Driblette's mother.
(b) His girlfriend.
(c) Grace Bortz.
(d) A graduate student.
4. Genghis Cohen informs Oedipa that a mysterious new bidder requested to view the stamps in lot 49, but the request was denied for what reason?
(a) He refused to give his credit card number.
(b) The agent refused to give the bidder's name.
(c) He was in prison.
(d) The agent was on the list of prohibited bidders.
5. Suffering nightmares and various symptoms, Oedipa goes to a doctor and requests a pregnancy test under what name?
(a) Mrs. Metzger.
(b) Mrs. Maas.
(c) Enda Mosh.
(d) Grace Bortz.
Short Answer Questions
1. What scientific rule does the Nefastis Machine violate?
2. After losing noble patronage, the majority of Tristero members fled to where during 1849-50?
3. A young female graduate student reveals to Oedipa that ________ drowned himself in the Pacific Ocean two days ago.
4. Who does Oedipa find in a pseudo-Mexican apartment building in Berkeley?
5. When Oedipa calls Emory Bortz, what does his wife Grace tell her Bortz is doing at the moment?
Short Essay Questions
1. The overall crisis Oedipa faces by the end of the novel could be summed up how?
2. What connection does Oedipa make between the old German stamp with Thurn and Taxis printed on it which has a post horn, resembling the WASTE symbol, in each corner and the scene from The Courier's Tragedy?
3. Oedipa compares her search for The Tristero to what process?
4. Describe the Nefastis Machine as it was explained by Stanley Koteks.
5. The men Oedipa meets on her journey end up abandoning her. What were some of their fates and what did they represent?
6. What is the story behind the founding of Inamorati Anonymous?
7. In addition to visiting John Nefastis, why does Oedipa need to go to Berkeley?
8. What are the four alternatives Oedipa comes up with to explain her discoveries concerning the Tristero?
9. Bortz hands Oedipa an ancient book about the Italian travels of Dr. Diocletian Blobb. What does this story have to do with the Trystero?
10. Why does Oedipa consider her job as co-executor to be similar to Driblette's job as director of a play?
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)