|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dr. Hilarius protests that if he had been a real Nazi he would have become a Jungian. Instead, he chose to follow __________.
2. On her way to visit Emory Bortz, what building does Oedipa see burned down?
(a) Zapf's Used Books.
(b) The Tank Theater.
(c) KCUF radio station.
(d) Vespers House.
3. How does Oedipa end up at the desk of Stanley Koteks?
(a) They are former lovers.
(b) She follows the WASTE symbols.
(c) She gets lost on a tour of Yoyodyne.
(d) She is directed there by voices in her head.
4. Bortz leads Oedipa into a study to view woodcut illustrations from the pornographic version of the play. What does she see hovering in the background of the obscene images?
(a) WASTE symbol.
5. Whose address in Berkeley does Stanley Koteks give to Oedipa?
(a) The WASTE group.
(b) Pierce Inverarity.
(c) John Nefastis.
(d) Zapf's Used Books.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the author of the preface of the "Plays of Ford, Webster, Tourneur and Wharfinger," who Oedipa travels to the Cal State campus to find?
2. Oedipa's hotel room in the Berkeley hills contains a reproduction of whose painting?
3. What happens to Oedipa after she knocks on the door of Dr. Hilarius's office in Chapter 5?
4. Oedipa has a conversation in a bar with the wearer of the lapel pin, and he tells her he is a member of what group?
5. According to Genghis Cohen, who organized the courier service in the Bergamo region around 1290?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the historical marker that Oedipa remembers seeing at Fangoso Lagoons commemorate?
2. In addition to visiting John Nefastis, why does Oedipa need to go to Berkeley?
3. When Oedipa visits Vesperhaven House, what does Mr. Thoth tell her about his dream?
4. How is the campus of Cal State different from when Oedipa was in college?
5. Bortz hands Oedipa an ancient book about the Italian travels of Dr. Diocletian Blobb. What does this story have to do with the Trystero?
6. What is the paradox that Oedipa discovers concerning the Trystero couplet from Driblette's play?
7. Why does Oedipa consider her job as co-executor to be similar to Driblette's job as director of a play?
8. Why are WASTE mail boxes located under freeways?
9. By gathering clues from diverse obscure sources, what is the account of how the Tristero organization began that Oedipa pieces together?
10. What is the story behind the religious splinter group known as the Scurvhamites that Professor Bortz tells Oedipa about?
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)