|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Oedipa's hotel room in the Berkeley hills contains a reproduction of whose painting?
(a) Remedios Varo.
(c) Vincent Van Gogh.
(d) Reynoldo Vanos.
2. What happens to Oedipa after she knocks on the door of Dr. Hilarius's office in Chapter 5?
(a) He makes love to her.
(b) He gives her LSD.
(c) He begs her to run away with him.
(d) He takes her hostage.
3. As Mucho and Oedipa eat at a pizzeria, what does Mucho notice about one violin heard on the Muzak playing in the restaurant?
(a) The E string is tuned too sharp.
(b) The bass is too low.
(c) The C string is out of tune.
(d) The bass is too high.
4. Oedipa flees Berkley in Chapter 5 and finds herself on a freeway at rush hour, heading for _________.
(a) The wharf.
(b) San Francisco.
(c) The Bay Bridge.
(d) Los Angelos.
5. Genghis Cohen told Oedipa, during their discussion about the meanings behind the stamps, that he had never heard of an _______ year tradition of postal fraud.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on the cover of the book she purchases at Zapf's Used Books?
2. In Chapter 5, it is explained that the equations for the entropy of heat-engines coincidentally resemble the equations for what?
3. Oedipa goes to Zapf's Used Books to buy a copy of what book?
4. When Oedipa visits Genghis Cohen for the first time, what does he give her to drink?
5. What is Stanley Koteks doodling when Oedipa comes up to his desk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Nefastis Machine as it was explained by Stanley Koteks.
2. The men Oedipa meets on her journey end up abandoning her. What were some of their fates and what did they represent?
3. Bortz hands Oedipa an ancient book about the Italian travels of Dr. Diocletian Blobb. What does this story have to do with the Trystero?
4. Why are WASTE mail boxes located under freeways?
5. Oedipa compares her search for The Tristero to what process?
6. By gathering clues from diverse obscure sources, what is the account of how the Tristero organization began that Oedipa pieces together?
7. When Oedipa and Metzger go back to The Scope in Chapter 4, Mike Fallopian explains that there exists what kind of underground group?
8. What is the paradox that Oedipa discovers concerning the Trystero couplet from Driblette's play?
9. What is significant about the fact that the founder of Tristero, Hernando Joaquin de Tristero y Calavera, called himself The Disinherited?
10. The overall crisis Oedipa faces by the end of the novel could be summed up how?
This section contains 1,279 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)