|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On her way to visit Emory Bortz, what building does Oedipa see burned down?
(a) Zapf's Used Books.
(b) Vespers House.
(c) KCUF radio station.
(d) The Tank Theater.
2. Who does Oedipa dream about as she sleeps in the hotel in Berkeley?
3. Genghis Cohen shows Oedipa a Pony Express stamp from 1940 with the _______ symbol on the back.
4. Metzger tells Mike Fallopian he is so right-wing that he's left-wing, and possibly a Marxist, since he is invoking the _______theory.
(c) Surplus Value.
(d) Open Markets.
5. What is on the cover of the book she purchases at Zapf's Used Books?
(a) The Nefastis Machine.
(b) A Tristero.
(c) A WASTE symbol.
(d) A Skull.
Short Answer Questions
1. Oedipa drives around the freeway at night without her lights on, and then ends up in a phone booth calling which bar in San Francisco?
2. In the time period that brought the creation of The Tristero organization, what was the name of the organization that ran the sanctioned mail routes?
3. While wandering amongst the tourists in downtown San Francisco, Oedipa sees what on a lapel pin?
4. After losing noble patronage, the majority of Tristero members fled to where during 1849-50?
5. What was the name of the author of the preface of the "Plays of Ford, Webster, Tourneur and Wharfinger," who Oedipa travels to the Cal State campus to find?
Short Essay Questions
1. The overall crisis Oedipa faces by the end of the novel could be summed up how?
2. What is meant by Oedipa seeing Genghis Cohen, the philatelist, framed in a long succession of doorways?
3. What is the story behind the religious splinter group known as the Scurvhamites that Professor Bortz tells Oedipa about?
4. Oedipa discovers that the line from Driblette's version in Plays of Ford, Webster, Tourneur and Wharfinger about Trystero was replaced by another referring to what?
5. What are the four alternatives Oedipa comes up with to explain her discoveries concerning the Tristero?
6. Oedipa compares her search for The Tristero to what process?
7. When Oedipa and Metzger go back to The Scope in Chapter 4, Mike Fallopian explains that there exists what kind of underground group?
8. Bortz hands Oedipa an ancient book about the Italian travels of Dr. Diocletian Blobb. What does this story have to do with the Trystero?
9. How is the campus of Cal State different from when Oedipa was in college?
10. Why does Oedipa think it is possible that her search for Tristero may be a hoax created by Pierce Inverarity?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)