|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Oedipa dream about as she sleeps in the hotel in Berkeley?
2. Where does Stanley Koteks tell Oedipa to go instead of Berkeley after he becomes distrustful of her?
(b) Los Angeles.
(c) San Narciso.
(d) San Francisco.
3. A young female graduate student reveals to Oedipa that ________ drowned himself in the Pacific Ocean two days ago.
4. What scientific rule does the Nefastis Machine violate?
(a) First Law of Thermodynamics.
(b) The WASTE Law.
(c) The Law of Triads.
(d) Second Law of Thermodynamics.
5. According to Genghis Cohen, who organized the courier service in the Bergamo region around 1290?
(a) Thurn Tassis.
(b) Omedio Tassis.
(c) Oliver Tass.
(d) Thurn Taxis.
Short Answer Questions
1. The San Francisco tourist wearing the lapel pin advises Oedipa to write his group's founder through the ____ system.
2. Oedipa goes to Zapf's Used Books to buy a copy of what book?
3. Oedipa drives around the freeway at night without her lights on, and then ends up in a phone booth calling which bar in San Francisco?
4. Oedipa arrives at a German Baroque hotel in the Berkeley hills which is hosting a meeting of what organization?
5. Oedipa recites the couplet from the play which mentions Trystero and Bortz and says the quote came from a pornographic version of the play which was held where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the fact that the founder of Tristero, Hernando Joaquin de Tristero y Calavera, called himself The Disinherited?
2. Oedipa compares her search for The Tristero to what process?
3. What does the historical marker that Oedipa remembers seeing at Fangoso Lagoons commemorate?
4. Bortz hands Oedipa an ancient book about the Italian travels of Dr. Diocletian Blobb. What does this story have to do with the Trystero?
5. Oedipa discovers that the line from Driblette's version in Plays of Ford, Webster, Tourneur and Wharfinger about Trystero was replaced by another referring to what?
6. As Oedipa sits in rush hour traffic on the Bay Bridge, what does she determine she knows about Tristero?
7. What is the paradox that Oedipa discovers concerning the Trystero couplet from Driblette's play?
8. Give examples of individuals with the post horn symbol who are somehow alienated from society.
9. Why does Nefastis contend that only a sensitive person can work his machine?
10. When Oedipa and Metzger go back to The Scope in Chapter 4, Mike Fallopian explains that there exists what kind of underground group?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)