|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Oedipa returns to Echo Courts to find the Paranoids in shock because _________ ran off with one of their girlfriends.
(d) Humbert Humbert.
2. Tristero y Calavera set up his own postal system and called himself El Desheredado, which meant what?
(a) The Disenfranchised.
(b) The Dangerous.
(c) The Disinherited.
(d) The Desperate.
3. In Chapter 4, who does Oedipa tell Stanley Koteks she is?
(a) A board member.
(b) A patent inspector.
(c) A design engineer.
(d) A stockholder.
4. What is the name of the auctioneer who will be crying the lots the day Oedipa goes?
(a) Lone Passtime.
(b) Loren Passerine.
(c) Luke Passion.
(d) Lorne Passering.
5. Oedipa pieces together an account of how the Tristero organization began in what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. Mucho's boss, Funch, says Mucho is losing his identity and becoming more ________.
2. Oedipa drives around the freeway at night without her lights on, and then ends up in a phone booth calling which bar in San Francisco?
3. What does Mucho offer to Oedipa before they leave the pizzeria?
4. What is the name of the home for senior citizens that Oedipa visits?
5. What does Oedipa see on an airmail stamp with a jet flying by the Capital dome that is on the letter the old drunk asks her to mail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What connection does Oedipa make between the old German stamp with Thurn and Taxis printed on it which has a post horn, resembling the WASTE symbol, in each corner and the scene from The Courier's Tragedy?
2. What is the paradox that Oedipa discovers concerning the Trystero couplet from Driblette's play?
3. As Oedipa sits in rush hour traffic on the Bay Bridge, what does she determine she knows about Tristero?
4. The overall crisis Oedipa faces by the end of the novel could be summed up how?
5. At the end of Chapter 4, Genghis Cohen explains to Oedipa that the dandelion wine is clear now, but becomes cloudy in the spring when the dandelions begin to bloom, as if the dandelions in the wine remembered. What does Oedipa muse about this?
6. Why does Nefastis contend that only a sensitive person can work his machine?
7. In addition to visiting John Nefastis, why does Oedipa need to go to Berkeley?
8. How is the campus of Cal State different from when Oedipa was in college?
9. Give examples of individuals with the post horn symbol who are somehow alienated from society.
10. Oedipa discovers that the line from Driblette's version in Plays of Ford, Webster, Tourneur and Wharfinger about Trystero was replaced by another referring to what?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)