|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pierce Inverarity was a _____________?
(a) Real estate mogul.
(b) Cattle rancher.
(c) Used car salesman.
(d) Radio station disc jockey.
2. How did Oedipa know Pierce Inverarity?
(a) He was her ex-husband.
(b) He was her brother.
(c) He was a former lover.
(d) He was her lawyer.
3. The rock group, The Paranoids, is a take off on what famous band?
(a) The Beatles.
(b) The Sex Pistols.
(c) The Beach Boys.
(d) The Eagles.
4. What is in the pond at the center of Fangoso Lagoons?
(a) Fragments of sunken galleons and Atlantean columns.
(b) Fragments of old Disney Land rides.
(c) Famous fountains coming out of sunken ships.
(d) Fragments of missiles with the name Yoyodyne, Inc. lettered on each nose cone.
5. What does Oedipa use to fend off the advances of the manager of the Echo Courts Motel?
(a) A TV remote.
(b) A bottle of wine.
(c) A TV antenna.
(d) A candelabra.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the car after Oedipa and Metzger leave the theater, who do they hear on KCUF radio?
2. What does Metzger complain about when Oedipa tells him she is going backstage after the play?
3. Dr. Hilarius has a theory that faces are like what?
4. What is the name of the manager of the Echo Courts Motel?
5. What kind of game does Metzger suggest he and Oedipa play in the motel room at Echo Courts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Oedipa mean in Chapter 1 when she tells Dr. Hilarius that she is already having hallucinations?
2. According to Mike Fallopian, what eventually happened to Peter Pinguid?
3. Who was the Peter Pinguid Society named for?
4. What do the Paranoids set outside the door of Oedipa's room?
5. Why is the introduction of the Yoyodyne mail deliverer at The Scope important to the plot of The Crying of Lot 49?
6. When did Pierce Inverarity die?
7. As she is losing the game of Strip Botticelli, what does Oedipa remove first?
8. What aspect of Mucho's job does Oedipa compare to a religious officiant conducting a ceremony?
9. As Oedipa seeks a motel to escape the illusion of speed and freedom that driving provides, to what does she compare the road?
10. What is the larger setting of The Crying of Lot 49?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)