|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who accompanies Oedipa and Metzger to Fangoso Lagoons for the day?
(a) Mucho Maas.
(b) The Paranoids and their girlfriends.
(c) Richard Wharfinger.
(d) Mike Fallopian and his girlfriend.
2. On a long ago trip with Pierce Inverarity, where did Oedipa see an exhibition of paintings by Remedios Varo ?
(a) Mexico City.
(b) Buenos Aires.
3. What is the huge complex surrounded by barbed-wire-topped fence, its entrance flanked by sixty-foot missiles with the name Yoyodyne, Inc. lettered on each nose cone, that Oedipa passes as she drives into San Narciso?
(a) The movie company owned by Metger.
(b) The Galactronics Division of a company in which Mucho owned shares.
(c) The postal delivery division of a company in which Pierce owned shares.
(d) The Galactronics Division of a company in which Pierce owned shares.
4. Where does Metzger come upon the actor who plays him in the TV pilot while exploring Fangoso Lagoons?
(a) He is disguised as a woman.
(b) He is hiding under a roller coaster in a skin-diving suit.
(c) He is hiding under a tarp in a skin-diving suit.
(d) He is disguised as one of the Paranoids
5. What is the actual first name of Oedipa's husband, Mucho Maas?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Dr. Hilarius' s face number 37, which is the face children often use for taunting?
2. What is the reason for Tony Jaguar's lawsuit against Pierce Inverarity?
3. Oedipa protests to Metzger at the end of the play that she's Republican, and she's not motivated by a desire to right wrongs, but simply by ____________.
4. Fallopian tells Metzger that what two ideas are part of the same creeping horror?
5. What is the name of the manager of the Echo Courts Motel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the moment Oedipa sees San Narciso from a hilltop have a religious quality to her?
2. When did Pierce Inverarity die?
3. What is suggested by the name of Oedipa's psychiatrist, Dr. Hilarius?
4. What kind of image does Funch the program director want Mucho to have at the radio station?
5. As Oedipa seeks a motel to escape the illusion of speed and freedom that driving provides, to what does she compare the road?
6. What is the metaphor Oedipa is referring to about The Trystero and the costumes of historical figures?
7. What is the larger setting of The Crying of Lot 49?
8. Why is Di Presso hiding in a boat at Fangoso Lagoons to avoid his client?
9. Why is the introduction of the Yoyodyne mail deliverer at The Scope important to the plot of The Crying of Lot 49?
10. What aspect of Mucho's job does Oedipa compare to a religious officiant conducting a ceremony?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)