|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mr. Thoth pulls a gold signet ring with the ________ symbol out of his knitting bag, which he says his grandfather cut from the finger of an Indian he had killed.
2. Oedipa flees Berkley in Chapter 5 and finds herself on a freeway at rush hour, heading for _________.
(a) San Francisco.
(b) The wharf.
(c) Los Angelos.
(d) The Bay Bridge.
3. While walking down a stretch of railroad track, Oedipa remembers that Inverarity had once told her the secret to success was what?
(a) Keep it going.
(b) Keep it bouncing.
(c) Trust no one.
(d) Buy low, sell high.
4. Who does Dr. Hilarius think the police are when they come to his clinic?
(a) Thurn and Taxis agents.
(c) Tristero agents.
5. Bortz leads Oedipa into a study to view woodcut illustrations from the pornographic version of the play. What does she see hovering in the background of the obscene images?
(b) WASTE symbol.
6. Genghis Cohen told Oedipa, during their discussion about the meanings behind the stamps, that he had never heard of an _______ year tradition of postal fraud.
7. How many errors did Genghis Cohen find in the stamp collection Oedipa showed him?
8. Genghis Cohen gives Oedipa a supposed translation from an article in an 1865 issue of Bibliotheque des Timbrophiles, which recounts a great schism in Tristero during what time period?
(a) The Black Plague.
(b) The Bolshevik Revolution.
(c) The American Revolution.
(d) The French Revolution.
9. What happens to Oedipa after she knocks on the door of Dr. Hilarius's office in Chapter 5?
(a) He begs her to run away with him.
(b) He makes love to her.
(c) He gives her LSD.
(d) He takes her hostage.
10. In Oedipa's search for the source text for the Jacobean revenge play , the publisher sends her to a warehouse in what city?
(b) Los Angeles.
(d) San Francisco.
11. Metzger tells Mike Fallopian he is so right-wing that he's left-wing, and possibly a Marxist, since he is invoking the _______theory.
(a) Surplus Value.
(d) Open Markets.
12. What does Mucho offer to Oedipa before they leave the pizzeria?
(c) His forgiveness.
(d) A divorce.
13. When Oedipa returns to the bar near the Yoyodyne plant, who does she find surrounded by women and dressed in army fatigues as if he were a guerrilla leader?
(c) Mike Fallopian.
14. In Chapter 4, who does Oedipa tell Stanley Koteks she is?
(a) A stockholder.
(b) A patent inspector.
(c) A board member.
(d) A design engineer.
15. Bortz suggests to Oedipa that Tristero might have caused ______ simply in order to issue the Proclamation of the 9th Frimaire, An III, ending the sanctioned postal monopoly.
(a) The American Revolution.
(b) The French Revolution.
(c) The Black Plague.
(d) The Bolshevik Revolution.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Paranoids sing a song recounting how men like __________ seduce younger women?
2. When Oedipa visits Genghis Cohen for the first time, what does he give her to drink?
3. Oedipa drives around the freeway at night without her lights on, and then ends up in a phone booth calling which bar in San Francisco?
4. A young female graduate student reveals to Oedipa that ________ drowned himself in the Pacific Ocean two days ago.
5. According to Genghis Cohen, who organized the courier service in the Bergamo region around 1290?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)