|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dr. Hilarius protests that if he had been a real Nazi he would have become a Jungian. Instead, he chose to follow __________.
2. As Oedipa drives to Berkeley to find the source text for the Jacobean revenge play, she misses the exit to where?
(b) The hotel.
(c) The wharf.
(d) The Bay Bridge.
3. Bortz leads Oedipa into a study to view woodcut illustrations from the pornographic version of the play. What does she see hovering in the background of the obscene images?
(b) WASTE symbol.
4. Oedipa goes to Zapf's Used Books to buy a copy of what book?
(a) Real Revenge Plays.
(b) The Trystero.
(c) The Bible.
(d) Jacobean Revenge Plays.
5. At Professor Bortz's house, Oedipa asks Bortz to tell her about the historical Wharfinger. Bortz sneers, saying he can only talk about __________.
6. What does Mucho offer to Oedipa before they leave the pizzeria?
(a) A divorce.
(b) His forgiveness.
7. The San Francisco tourist wearing the lapel pin advises Oedipa to write his group's founder through the ____ system.
(b) Underground mail.
(c) Peter Pinguid Society.
8. Bortz hands Oedipa an ancient book about the _________ travels of Dr. Diocletian Blobb.
9. Who does Oedipa tell Stanley Koteks sent her to him as she comes upon him doodling at his desk at Yoyodyne?
10. Who does Oedipa dream about as she sleeps in the hotel in Berkeley?
11. What is on the cover of the book she purchases at Zapf's Used Books?
(a) A WASTE symbol.
(b) The Nefastis Machine.
(c) A Tristero.
(d) A Skull.
12. Tristero y Calavera set up his own postal system and called himself El Desheredado, which meant what?
(a) The Disenfranchised.
(b) The Dangerous.
(c) The Disinherited.
(d) The Desperate.
13. Oedipa has a conversation in a bar with the wearer of the lapel pin, and he tells her he is a member of what group?
(a) Immorality Anonymous.
(b) Inamorati Anonymous.
(c) Thurn and Tassis.
(d) Love Annonymors.
14. How many errors did Genghis Cohen find in the stamp collection Oedipa showed him?
15. Oedipa reads about Blobb's account of an attack near the Lake of Piety, which left all dead except Blobb and his servant. Who attacked them?
(b) Roman soldiers.
(c) Trystero brigands.
(d) Vatican brigands.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a place that Oedipa encountered the WASTE symbol?
2. Suffering nightmares and various symptoms, Oedipa goes to a doctor and requests a pregnancy test under what name?
3. In Chapter 5, it is explained that the equations for the entropy of heat-engines coincidentally resemble the equations for what?
4. Genghis Cohen gives Oedipa a supposed translation from an article in an 1865 issue of Bibliotheque des Timbrophiles, which recounts a great schism in Tristero during what time period?
5. Who answers the phone when Oedipa tries to call Driblette from her motel room in Chapter 6?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)