|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mr. Thoth pulls a gold signet ring with the ________ symbol out of his knitting bag, which he says his grandfather cut from the finger of an Indian he had killed.
2. What does the owner of the government surplus store, Winthrop Tremaine, tell Oedipa there is a large demand for?
(a) SS uniforms.
(c) Rifles and swastika armbands.
(d) School clothing.
3. The name Tristero can be traced back to Hernando Joaquin de Tristero y Calavera who claimed to be _________ and thus the rightful Grand Master of the Post.
(a) The true lord of Ohain.
(b) The true lord of Orange.
(c) The true lord of Ohama.
(d) The true lord of the Committee of Eighteen.
4. Stanley Koteks tells Oedipa ________________ is a "symptom of the gutlessness of the whole society."
5. What scientific rule does the Nefastis Machine violate?
(a) Second Law of Thermodynamics.
(b) First Law of Thermodynamics.
(c) The Law of Triads.
(d) The WASTE Law.
6. Mucho's boss, Funch, says Mucho is losing his identity and becoming more ________.
7. Genghis Cohen claims that the stamp, which depicts a Pony Express rider galloping out of a western fort into a black feather, is what?
8. Oedipa arrives at a German Baroque hotel in the Berkeley hills which is hosting a meeting of what organization?
(a) California Chapter of the American Deaf-Mute Assembly.
(b) California Chapter of the American Blind Assembly.
(c) California Chapter of the American Scientist Assembly.
(d) California Chapter of the American Hearing-impaired Assembly.
9. Bortz imagines one visionary militant addressing a group of Tristero members in a tavern to propose a merger with official postal couriers. What name does he give to this visionary?
10. Which of the following is NOT a place that Oedipa encountered the WASTE symbol?
(a) Written in chalk on a sidewalk.
(b) A message in a fortune cookie.
(c) An herbalist's window in Chinatown.
(d) Gang jackets of delinquents at the city beach.
11. The Paranoids sing a song recounting how men like __________ seduce younger women?
(d) Humbert Humbert.
12. Who is Genghis Cohen?
(a) A philanthropist.
(b) A philatelist.
(c) A psychiatrist.
(d) A philosopher.
13. While walking down a stretch of railroad track, Oedipa remembers that Inverarity had once told her the secret to success was what?
(a) Keep it bouncing.
(b) Buy low, sell high.
(c) Trust no one.
(d) Keep it going.
14. Dr. Hilarius protests that if he had been a real Nazi he would have become a Jungian. Instead, he chose to follow __________.
15. As Oedipa drives to Berkeley to find the source text for the Jacobean revenge play, she misses the exit to where?
(a) The Bay Bridge.
(b) The hotel.
(c) The wharf.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Stanley Koteks tell Oedipa to go instead of Berkeley after he becomes distrustful of her?
2. When Oedipa visits Genghis Cohen for the first time, what does he give her to drink?
3. Genghis Cohen shows Oedipa a Pony Express stamp from 1940 with the _______ symbol on the back.
4. According to Stanley Koteks, who are the only ones who can work the Nefastis Machine?
5. Genghis Cohen gives Oedipa a supposed translation from an article in an 1865 issue of Bibliotheque des Timbrophiles, which recounts a great schism in Tristero during what time period?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)