|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Oedipa drives to Berkeley to find the source text for the Jacobean revenge play, she misses the exit to where?
(b) The wharf.
(c) The hotel.
(d) The Bay Bridge.
2. Suffering nightmares and various symptoms, Oedipa goes to a doctor and requests a pregnancy test under what name?
(a) Enda Mosh.
(b) Mrs. Maas.
(c) Grace Bortz.
(d) Mrs. Metzger.
3. Oedipa reads about Blobb's account of an attack near the Lake of Piety, which left all dead except Blobb and his servant. Who attacked them?
(a) Roman soldiers.
(b) Vatican brigands.
(c) Trystero brigands.
4. What happens to Oedipa after she knocks on the door of Dr. Hilarius's office in Chapter 5?
(a) He takes her hostage.
(b) He makes love to her.
(c) He gives her LSD.
(d) He begs her to run away with him.
5. Bortz suggests to Oedipa that Tristero might have caused ______ simply in order to issue the Proclamation of the 9th Frimaire, An III, ending the sanctioned postal monopoly.
(a) The Black Plague.
(b) The Bolshevik Revolution.
(c) The American Revolution.
(d) The French Revolution.
6. Tristero y Calavera set up his own postal system and called himself El Desheredado, which meant what?
(a) The Desperate.
(b) The Disenfranchised.
(c) The Disinherited.
(d) The Dangerous.
7. Metzger tells Mike Fallopian he is so right-wing that he's left-wing, and possibly a Marxist, since he is invoking the _______theory.
(b) Surplus Value.
(d) Open Markets.
8. Bortz leads Oedipa into a study to view woodcut illustrations from the pornographic version of the play. What does she see hovering in the background of the obscene images?
(c) WASTE symbol.
9. After losing noble patronage, the majority of Tristero members fled to where during 1849-50?
10. What happens when Oedipa returns to her hotel in Berkeley?
(a) She sleeps wtih John Nefastis.
(b) She finds Mucho waiting in her room.
(c) She sees the ghost of Inverarity.
(d) A young man waltzes her around the ballroom.
11. When Oedipa calls Emory Bortz, what does his wife Grace tell her Bortz is doing at the moment?
(a) Killing their children.
(b) Pouring a patio.
(c) Pouring drinks.
12. What scientific rule does the Nefastis Machine violate?
(a) The WASTE Law.
(b) Second Law of Thermodynamics.
(c) First Law of Thermodynamics.
(d) The Law of Triads.
13. Genghis Cohen informs Oedipa that a mysterious new bidder requested to view the stamps in lot 49, but the request was denied for what reason?
(a) He refused to give his credit card number.
(b) The agent refused to give the bidder's name.
(c) He was in prison.
(d) The agent was on the list of prohibited bidders.
14. In Oedipa's search for the source text for the Jacobean revenge play , the publisher sends her to a warehouse in what city?
(b) Los Angeles.
(d) San Francisco.
15. What is the name of the auctioneer who will be crying the lots the day Oedipa goes?
(a) Lorne Passering.
(b) Luke Passion.
(c) Loren Passerine.
(d) Lone Passtime.
Short Answer Questions
1. Genghis Cohen gives Oedipa a supposed translation from an article in an 1865 issue of Bibliotheque des Timbrophiles, which recounts a great schism in Tristero during what time period?
2. What was the name of the author of the preface of the "Plays of Ford, Webster, Tourneur and Wharfinger," who Oedipa travels to the Cal State campus to find?
3. As Oedipa walks around the college campus in Chapter 5, she realizes her education made her what?
4. Stanley Koteks tells Oedipa ________________ is a "symptom of the gutlessness of the whole society."
5. What does Stanley Koteks ask Oedipa to look into at Yoyodyne when he thinks she is connected to the company?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)