|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mr. Thoth pulls a gold signet ring with the ________ symbol out of his knitting bag, which he says his grandfather cut from the finger of an Indian he had killed.
2. Oedipa's hotel room in the Berkeley hills contains a reproduction of whose painting?
(a) Remedios Varo.
(b) Vincent Van Gogh.
(d) Reynoldo Vanos.
3. What is the name of the religious splinter group Bortz attributes to changing the pornographic version of the play?
(b) Thurn and Taxis.
4. Genghis Cohen told Oedipa, during their discussion about the meanings behind the stamps, that he had never heard of an _______ year tradition of postal fraud.
5. Oedipa goes to Zapf's Used Books to buy a copy of what book?
(a) Real Revenge Plays.
(b) The Trystero.
(c) The Bible.
(d) Jacobean Revenge Plays.
6. What does Mucho offer to Oedipa before they leave the pizzeria?
(a) A divorce.
(d) His forgiveness.
7. After arriving at Dr. Hilarius's clinic, Oedipa is told what by the doctor's assistant?
(a) He is moving to China.
(b) He is in love with Oedipa.
(c) He has gone crazy.
(d) He is head of the WASTE organization.
8. Where does Genghis Cohen want to send several of the stamps he is reviewing for Oedipa?
(a) An Expert Committee.
(b) San Francisco.
(c) University of California.
(d) A Stamp Expo.
9. Mucho's boss, Funch, says Mucho is losing his identity and becoming more ________.
10. Tristero y Calavera set up his own postal system and called himself El Desheredado, which meant what?
(a) The Desperate.
(b) The Dangerous.
(c) The Disinherited.
(d) The Disenfranchised.
11. Oedipa flees Berkley in Chapter 5 and finds herself on a freeway at rush hour, heading for _________.
(a) The Bay Bridge.
(b) Los Angelos.
(c) San Francisco.
(d) The wharf.
12. After losing noble patronage, the majority of Tristero members fled to where during 1849-50?
13. According to Stanley Koteks, who are the only ones who can work the Nefastis Machine?
14. As Oedipa sits in the apartment in Berkeley concentrating and awaiting the demon's message, what is on the TV?
(a) News about Viet Nam.
(c) News about China.
(d) Metzger's movie.
15. Who does Oedipa try to call from a phone booth before she heads to the bookstore?
Short Answer Questions
1. Bortz suggests to Oedipa that Tristero might have caused ______ simply in order to issue the Proclamation of the 9th Frimaire, An III, ending the sanctioned postal monopoly.
2. What does Oedipa see on an airmail stamp with a jet flying by the Capital dome that is on the letter the old drunk asks her to mail?
3. What is the name of the home for senior citizens that Oedipa visits?
4. Bortz imagines one visionary militant addressing a group of Tristero members in a tavern to propose a merger with official postal couriers. What name does he give to this visionary?
5. In Oedipa's search for the source text for the Jacobean revenge play , the publisher sends her to a warehouse in what city?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)