|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mr. Thoth pulls a gold signet ring with the ________ symbol out of his knitting bag, which he says his grandfather cut from the finger of an Indian he had killed.
2. Tristero y Calavera set up his own postal system and called himself El Desheredado, which meant what?
(a) The Desperate.
(b) The Dangerous.
(c) The Disenfranchised.
(d) The Disinherited.
3. What does Oedipa see on an airmail stamp with a jet flying by the Capital dome that is on the letter the old drunk asks her to mail?
(a) A suspicious black figure on top of the dome.
(b) A WASTE symbol on the plane.
(c) A suspicious black figure flying the plane.
(d) A dead badger on top of the dome.
4. What is the name of the auctioneer who will be crying the lots the day Oedipa goes?
(a) Luke Passion.
(b) Lone Passtime.
(c) Loren Passerine.
(d) Lorne Passering.
5. What is the purpose of the group as explained by the tourist wearing the lapel pin?
(a) It is a secret society of renegade postal workers.
(b) To help people fall in love.
(c) It is a secret society of reformed sinners.
(d) To help people not fall in love.
6. Metzger tells Mike Fallopian he is so right-wing that he's left-wing, and possibly a Marxist, since he is invoking the _______theory.
(a) Surplus Value.
(d) Open Markets.
7. After finding a copy of Plays of Ford, Webster, Tourneur and Wharfinger, Oedipa discovers a note that says "trystero" may be derived from the Italian word "triste." What does this word mean?
8. After Oedipa follows the wino with the bag of letters, where does she find the can with the WASTE symbol on the side?
(a) At her hotel.
(b) On a bus.
(c) Behind Nefastis' apartment.
(d) Under the freeway
9. Which of the following is NOT a place that Oedipa encountered the WASTE symbol?
(a) A message in a fortune cookie.
(b) Gang jackets of delinquents at the city beach.
(c) Written in chalk on a sidewalk.
(d) An herbalist's window in Chinatown.
10. When Oedipa returns to the bar near the Yoyodyne plant, who does she find surrounded by women and dressed in army fatigues as if he were a guerrilla leader?
(d) Mike Fallopian.
11. When Oedipa visits Genghis Cohen for the first time, what does he give her to drink?
(a) German wine.
(b) Dandelion vodka.
(c) German vodka.
(d) Dandelion wine.
12. Oedipa's hotel room in the Berkeley hills contains a reproduction of whose painting?
(a) Reynoldo Vanos.
(b) Remedios Varo.
(d) Vincent Van Gogh.
13. Genghis Cohen shows Oedipa an old German stamp with Thurn and Taxis printed on it which has a special symbol in each corner. He suggests that the extra mark on the symbol is a ______.
14. The name Tristero can be traced back to Hernando Joaquin de Tristero y Calavera who claimed to be _________ and thus the rightful Grand Master of the Post.
(a) The true lord of the Committee of Eighteen.
(b) The true lord of Ohama.
(c) The true lord of Ohain.
(d) The true lord of Orange.
15. Oedipa arrives at a German Baroque hotel in the Berkeley hills which is hosting a meeting of what organization?
(a) California Chapter of the American Scientist Assembly.
(b) California Chapter of the American Blind Assembly.
(c) California Chapter of the American Hearing-impaired Assembly.
(d) California Chapter of the American Deaf-Mute Assembly.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Oedipa sits in the apartment in Berkeley concentrating and awaiting the demon's message, what is on the TV?
2. When Oedipa meets Mike Fallopian for the second time, he tells her it is difficult to find documentary proof of what?
3. Why does Oedipa return to Kinneret to see Dr. Hilarius?
4. How does Oedipa end up at the desk of Stanley Koteks?
5. The pattern of information Oedipa sees forming in Chapter 4 has to do with what?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)