|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many errors did Genghis Cohen find in the stamp collection Oedipa showed him?
2. While wandering amongst the tourists in downtown San Francisco, Oedipa sees what on a lapel pin?
(a) Thurn and Tassis.
(b) WASTE symbol.
(c) Maxwell's demon.
(d) KCUF radio symbol.
3. Dr. Hilarius protests that if he had been a real Nazi he would have become a Jungian. Instead, he chose to follow __________.
4. After losing noble patronage, the majority of Tristero members fled to where during 1849-50?
5. According to Genghis Cohen, who organized the courier service in the Bergamo region around 1290?
(a) Thurn Tassis.
(b) Thurn Taxis.
(c) Omedio Tassis.
(d) Oliver Tass.
6. At Professor Bortz's house, Oedipa asks Bortz to tell her about the historical Wharfinger. Bortz sneers, saying he can only talk about __________.
7. After arriving at Dr. Hilarius's clinic, Oedipa is told what by the doctor's assistant?
(a) He is head of the WASTE organization.
(b) He has gone crazy.
(c) He is moving to China.
(d) He is in love with Oedipa.
8. Why does Oedipa return to Kinneret to see Dr. Hilarius?
(a) To get hallucinogenic drugs.
(b) To get tranquilzers.
(c) To tell him she longer wants to be his patient.
(d) To see if she is suffering from psychosis.
9. The Paranoids sing a song recounting how men like __________ seduce younger women?
(b) Humbert Humbert.
10. Oedipa drives around the freeway at night without her lights on, and then ends up in a phone booth calling which bar in San Francisco?
(a) The Scope.
(b) The Accidental Meeting.
(c) The Geek Way.
(d) The Greek Way.
11. When Mucho interviews Oedipa after she leaves Dr. Hilarius's office, what name does her call her?
(a) Edna Mosh.
(b) Oedipa Maas.
(c) His Oedy.
(d) Sweetie Pie.
12. Oedipa, accompanied by Bortz and the graduate students, attends the funeral and tries to reach out to some remaining trace of life in the grave in a similar fashion to what?
(a) Communicating with sensitives.
(b) A hallucination.
(c) Communicating with Maxwell's Demon.
(d) A seance.
13. Bortz imagines one visionary militant addressing a group of Tristero members in a tavern to propose a merger with official postal couriers. What name does he give to this visionary?
14. Oedipa's hotel room in the Berkeley hills contains a reproduction of whose painting?
(b) Vincent Van Gogh.
(c) Remedios Varo.
(d) Reynoldo Vanos.
15. What does Stanley Koteks ask Oedipa to look into at Yoyodyne when he thinks she is connected to the company?
(a) Clause on patents.
(b) Clause on research.
(c) Mandatory teamwork.
(d) Smoking ban.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Oedipa follows the wino with the bag of letters, where does she find the can with the WASTE symbol on the side?
2. What does the Nefastis Machine do?
3. The name Tristero can be traced back to Hernando Joaquin de Tristero y Calavera who claimed to be _________ and thus the rightful Grand Master of the Post.
4. In Oedipa's search for the source text for the Jacobean revenge play , the publisher sends her to a warehouse in what city?
5. Metzger tells Mike Fallopian he is so right-wing that he's left-wing, and possibly a Marxist, since he is invoking the _______theory.
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)