|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Oedipa goes to Zapf's Used Books to buy a copy of what book?
(a) Jacobean Revenge Plays.
(b) The Trystero.
(c) Real Revenge Plays.
(d) The Bible.
2. Genghis Cohen gives Oedipa a supposed translation from an article in an 1865 issue of Bibliotheque des Timbrophiles, which recounts a great schism in Tristero during what time period?
(a) The French Revolution.
(b) The Bolshevik Revolution.
(c) The American Revolution.
(d) The Black Plague.
3. Oedipa returns to Echo Courts to find the Paranoids in shock because _________ ran off with one of their girlfriends.
(c) Humbert Humbert.
4. On her way to visit Emory Bortz, what building does Oedipa see burned down?
(a) Zapf's Used Books.
(b) The Tank Theater.
(c) Vespers House.
(d) KCUF radio station.
5. Mr. Thoth pulls a gold signet ring with the ________ symbol out of his knitting bag, which he says his grandfather cut from the finger of an Indian he had killed.
6. Mr. Thoth, a resident of the home for senior citizens, wakes from a doze and mentions to Oedipa that his grandfather rode for the ______________.
(b) Continental Railroad.
(c) Pony Express.
7. Tristero y Calavera set up his own postal system and called himself El Desheredado, which meant what?
(a) The Disinherited.
(b) The Desperate.
(c) The Dangerous.
(d) The Disenfranchised.
8. What does Oedipa see on an airmail stamp with a jet flying by the Capital dome that is on the letter the old drunk asks her to mail?
(a) A suspicious black figure flying the plane.
(b) A suspicious black figure on top of the dome.
(c) A WASTE symbol on the plane.
(d) A dead badger on top of the dome.
9. What is the name of the home for senior citizens that Oedipa visits?
(a) Haven House.
(b) Vestibule House.
(c) Vesperhaven House.
(d) Vespers House.
10. Oedipa has a conversation in a bar with the wearer of the lapel pin, and he tells her he is a member of what group?
(a) Love Annonymors.
(b) Immorality Anonymous.
(c) Inamorati Anonymous.
(d) Thurn and Tassis.
11. After Oedipa follows the wino with the bag of letters, where does she find the can with the WASTE symbol on the side?
(a) On a bus.
(b) Under the freeway
(c) At her hotel.
(d) Behind Nefastis' apartment.
12. Who is Genghis Cohen?
(a) A philatelist.
(b) A psychiatrist.
(c) A philanthropist.
(d) A philosopher.
13. Bortz hands Oedipa an ancient book about the _________ travels of Dr. Diocletian Blobb.
14. Metzger tells Mike Fallopian he is so right-wing that he's left-wing, and possibly a Marxist, since he is invoking the _______theory.
(a) Surplus Value.
(b) Open Markets.
15. As Oedipa drives to Berkeley to find the source text for the Jacobean revenge play, she misses the exit to where?
(a) The Bay Bridge.
(b) The wharf.
(d) The hotel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Nefastis Machine do?
2. Bortz imagines one visionary militant addressing a group of Tristero members in a tavern to propose a merger with official postal couriers. What name does he give to this visionary?
3. What is the purpose of the group as explained by the tourist wearing the lapel pin?
4. A young female graduate student reveals to Oedipa that ________ drowned himself in the Pacific Ocean two days ago.
5. When Oedipa visits Genghis Cohen for the first time, what does he give her to drink?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)