|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mr. Thoth pulls a gold signet ring with the ________ symbol out of his knitting bag, which he says his grandfather cut from the finger of an Indian he had killed.
2. What does Mucho offer to Oedipa before they leave the pizzeria?
(b) His forgiveness.
(d) A divorce.
3. Genghis Cohen gives Oedipa a supposed translation from an article in an 1865 issue of Bibliotheque des Timbrophiles, which recounts a great schism in Tristero during what time period?
(a) The Black Plague.
(b) The French Revolution.
(c) The American Revolution.
(d) The Bolshevik Revolution.
4. Oedipa goes to Zapf's Used Books to buy a copy of what book?
(a) The Trystero.
(b) Real Revenge Plays.
(c) Jacobean Revenge Plays.
(d) The Bible.
5. According to Stanley Koteks, who are the only ones who can work the Nefastis Machine?
6. In her investigations in Chapter 4, Oedipa goes to what kind of meeting at Yoyodyne?
7. What is the purpose of the group as explained by the tourist wearing the lapel pin?
(a) It is a secret society of reformed sinners.
(b) To help people fall in love.
(c) To help people not fall in love.
(d) It is a secret society of renegade postal workers.
8. In the time period that brought the creation of The Tristero organization, what was the name of the organization that ran the sanctioned mail routes?
(a) Orange Brigade.
(c) Committee of Eighteen.
(d) Thurn and Taxis.
9. Why does Oedipa return to Kinneret to see Dr. Hilarius?
(a) To get hallucinogenic drugs.
(b) To tell him she longer wants to be his patient.
(c) To get tranquilzers.
(d) To see if she is suffering from psychosis.
10. At Professor Bortz's house, Oedipa asks Bortz to tell her about the historical Wharfinger. Bortz sneers, saying he can only talk about __________.
11. Which of the following is NOT a place that Oedipa encountered the WASTE symbol?
(a) Written in chalk on a sidewalk.
(b) A message in a fortune cookie.
(c) Gang jackets of delinquents at the city beach.
(d) An herbalist's window in Chinatown.
12. As Oedipa sits in the apartment in Berkeley concentrating and awaiting the demon's message, what is on the TV?
(a) News about China.
(c) News about Viet Nam.
(d) Metzger's movie.
13. Oedipa goes to the stamp auction to somehow confront the mysterious bidder for lot 49 and she encounters who?
(b) Genghis Cohen.
(c) John Nefastis.
(d) Mucho Maas.
14. What kind of stamp does Genghis Cohen invite Oedipa over to view that bears the muted post horn, belly-up badger, and a motto referring to Tristero's empire?
(a) An old French stamp.
(b) An old European stamp.
(c) An old American stamp.
(d) An old Russian stamp.
15. The Paranoids sing a song recounting how men like __________ seduce younger women?
(b) Humbert Humbert.
Short Answer Questions
1. Oedipa has a conversation in a bar with the wearer of the lapel pin, and he tells her he is a member of what group?
2. As Oedipa drives to Berkeley to find the source text for the Jacobean revenge play, she misses the exit to where?
3. Who answers the phone when Oedipa tries to call Driblette from her motel room in Chapter 6?
4. Dr. Hilarius protests that if he had been a real Nazi he would have become a Jungian. Instead, he chose to follow __________.
5. What is the name of the home for senior citizens that Oedipa visits?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)