|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose address in Berkeley does Stanley Koteks give to Oedipa?
(a) Zapf's Used Books.
(b) John Nefastis.
(c) Pierce Inverarity.
(d) The WASTE group.
2. The Paranoids sing a song recounting how men like __________ seduce younger women?
(b) Humbert Humbert.
3. The name Tristero can be traced back to Hernando Joaquin de Tristero y Calavera who claimed to be _________ and thus the rightful Grand Master of the Post.
(a) The true lord of Orange.
(b) The true lord of Ohain.
(c) The true lord of the Committee of Eighteen.
(d) The true lord of Ohama.
4. After arriving at Dr. Hilarius's clinic, Oedipa is told what by the doctor's assistant?
(a) He is in love with Oedipa.
(b) He is head of the WASTE organization.
(c) He has gone crazy.
(d) He is moving to China.
5. Genghis Cohen gives Oedipa a supposed translation from an article in an 1865 issue of Bibliotheque des Timbrophiles, which recounts a great schism in Tristero during what time period?
(a) The Bolshevik Revolution.
(b) The French Revolution.
(c) The Black Plague.
(d) The American Revolution.
6. Who does Dr. Hilarius think the police are when they come to his clinic?
(a) Thurn and Taxis agents.
(c) Tristero agents.
7. What does Stanley Koteks ask Oedipa to look into at Yoyodyne when he thinks she is connected to the company?
(a) Mandatory teamwork.
(b) Clause on research.
(c) Clause on patents.
(d) Smoking ban.
8. The pattern of information Oedipa sees forming in Chapter 4 has to do with what?
(b) Mail delivery.
(d) Jacobean revenge plays.
9. What was the name of the author of the preface of the "Plays of Ford, Webster, Tourneur and Wharfinger," who Oedipa travels to the Cal State campus to find?
(a) Stanley Koteks.
(b) Emory Bortz.
(c) Clerk Maxwell.
(d) John Nefastis.
10. Genghis Cohen shows Oedipa a Pony Express stamp from 1940 with the _______ symbol on the back.
11. Who does Oedipa tell Stanley Koteks sent her to him as she comes upon him doodling at his desk at Yoyodyne?
12. After Oedipa follows the wino with the bag of letters, where does she find the can with the WASTE symbol on the side?
(a) On a bus.
(b) Behind Nefastis' apartment.
(c) Under the freeway
(d) At her hotel.
13. What does Mucho offer to Oedipa before they leave the pizzeria?
(b) His forgiveness.
(c) A divorce.
14. Dr. Hilarius protests that if he had been a real Nazi he would have become a Jungian. Instead, he chose to follow __________.
15. Genghis Cohen informs Oedipa that a mysterious new bidder requested to view the stamps in lot 49, but the request was denied for what reason?
(a) He refused to give his credit card number.
(b) The agent refused to give the bidder's name.
(c) He was in prison.
(d) The agent was on the list of prohibited bidders.
Short Answer Questions
1. Stanley Koteks tells Oedipa ________________ is a "symptom of the gutlessness of the whole society."
2. How many errors did Genghis Cohen find in the stamp collection Oedipa showed him?
3. What does Oedipa see on an airmail stamp with a jet flying by the Capital dome that is on the letter the old drunk asks her to mail?
4. Metzger tells Mike Fallopian he is so right-wing that he's left-wing, and possibly a Marxist, since he is invoking the _______theory.
5. What does the Nefastis Machine do?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)