|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The San Francisco tourist wearing the lapel pin advises Oedipa to write his group's founder through the ____ system.
(c) Peter Pinguid Society.
(d) Underground mail.
2. On her way to visit Emory Bortz, what building does Oedipa see burned down?
(a) Zapf's Used Books.
(b) Vespers House.
(c) KCUF radio station.
(d) The Tank Theater.
3. Dr. Hilarius protests that if he had been a real Nazi he would have become a Jungian. Instead, he chose to follow __________.
4. Bortz suggests to Oedipa that Tristero might have caused ______ simply in order to issue the Proclamation of the 9th Frimaire, An III, ending the sanctioned postal monopoly.
(a) The American Revolution.
(b) The Bolshevik Revolution.
(c) The French Revolution.
(d) The Black Plague.
5. What is the purpose of the group as explained by the tourist wearing the lapel pin?
(a) To help people fall in love.
(b) To help people not fall in love.
(c) It is a secret society of renegade postal workers.
(d) It is a secret society of reformed sinners.
6. Who does Oedipa tell Stanley Koteks sent her to him as she comes upon him doodling at his desk at Yoyodyne?
7. Oedipa arrives at a German Baroque hotel in the Berkeley hills which is hosting a meeting of what organization?
(a) California Chapter of the American Deaf-Mute Assembly.
(b) California Chapter of the American Hearing-impaired Assembly.
(c) California Chapter of the American Blind Assembly.
(d) California Chapter of the American Scientist Assembly.
8. Oedipa flees Berkley in Chapter 5 and finds herself on a freeway at rush hour, heading for _________.
(a) The Bay Bridge.
(b) Los Angelos.
(c) San Francisco.
(d) The wharf.
9. Oedipa pieces together an account of how the Tristero organization began in what year?
10. Suffering nightmares and various symptoms, Oedipa goes to a doctor and requests a pregnancy test under what name?
(a) Grace Bortz.
(b) Mrs. Maas.
(c) Mrs. Metzger.
(d) Enda Mosh.
11. Oedipa reads about Blobb's account of an attack near the Lake of Piety, which left all dead except Blobb and his servant. Who attacked them?
(a) Roman soldiers.
(b) Trystero brigands.
(c) Vatican brigands.
12. Stanley Koteks tells Oedipa ________________ is a "symptom of the gutlessness of the whole society."
13. Genghis Cohen shows Oedipa a Pony Express stamp from 1940 with the _______ symbol on the back.
14. In the time period that brought the creation of The Tristero organization, what was the name of the organization that ran the sanctioned mail routes?
(a) Orange Brigade.
(b) Committee of Eighteen.
(d) Thurn and Taxis.
15. When Mucho interviews Oedipa after she leaves Dr. Hilarius's office, what name does her call her?
(a) Oedipa Maas.
(b) His Oedy.
(c) Sweetie Pie.
(d) Edna Mosh.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mucho offer to Oedipa before they leave the pizzeria?
2. What does Oedipa see on an airmail stamp with a jet flying by the Capital dome that is on the letter the old drunk asks her to mail?
3. At Professor Bortz's house, Oedipa asks Bortz to tell her about the historical Wharfinger. Bortz sneers, saying he can only talk about __________.
4. Bortz hands Oedipa an ancient book about the _________ travels of Dr. Diocletian Blobb.
5. Where does Genghis Cohen want to send several of the stamps he is reviewing for Oedipa?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)