|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Oedipa find in a pseudo-Mexican apartment building in Berkeley?
(a) Emory Bortz.
(b) John Nefastis.
(c) Clerk Maxwell.
(d) Randolph Driblette.
2. What kind of stamp does Genghis Cohen invite Oedipa over to view that bears the muted post horn, belly-up badger, and a motto referring to Tristero's empire?
(a) An old American stamp.
(b) An old European stamp.
(c) An old French stamp.
(d) An old Russian stamp.
3. Tristero y Calavera set up his own postal system and called himself El Desheredado, which meant what?
(a) The Disinherited.
(b) The Dangerous.
(c) The Disenfranchised.
(d) The Desperate.
4. What is the purpose of the group as explained by the tourist wearing the lapel pin?
(a) To help people not fall in love.
(b) It is a secret society of renegade postal workers.
(c) It is a secret society of reformed sinners.
(d) To help people fall in love.
5. Oedipa recites the couplet from the play which mentions Trystero and Bortz and says the quote came from a pornographic version of the play which was held where?
(a) A Puritan settlement.
(c) The Vatican.
(d) San Francico.
6. Bortz imagines one visionary militant addressing a group of Tristero members in a tavern to propose a merger with official postal couriers. What name does he give to this visionary?
7. In her investigations in Chapter 4, Oedipa goes to what kind of meeting at Yoyodyne?
8. In Oedipa's search for the source text for the Jacobean revenge play , the publisher sends her to a warehouse in what city?
(b) Los Angeles.
(c) San Francisco.
9. Whose address in Berkeley does Stanley Koteks give to Oedipa?
(a) Zapf's Used Books.
(b) The WASTE group.
(c) John Nefastis.
(d) Pierce Inverarity.
10. Oedipa arrives at a German Baroque hotel in the Berkeley hills which is hosting a meeting of what organization?
(a) California Chapter of the American Scientist Assembly.
(b) California Chapter of the American Blind Assembly.
(c) California Chapter of the American Deaf-Mute Assembly.
(d) California Chapter of the American Hearing-impaired Assembly.
11. Oedipa returns to Echo Courts to find the Paranoids in shock because _________ ran off with one of their girlfriends.
(c) Humbert Humbert.
12. Bortz hands Oedipa an ancient book about the _________ travels of Dr. Diocletian Blobb.
13. Who does Oedipa try to call from a phone booth before she heads to the bookstore?
14. Who does Oedipa find at an all-night Mexican diner in San Francisco?
(a) Jesus Arrabal.
(b) Randolph Driblette.
(c) Grace Bortz.
(d) John Nefastis.
15. When Oedipa visits Genghis Cohen for the first time, what does he give her to drink?
(a) German vodka.
(b) German wine.
(c) Dandelion vodka.
(d) Dandelion wine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Oedipa dream about as she sleeps in the hotel in Berkeley?
2. What happens when Oedipa returns to her hotel in Berkeley?
3. Oedipa flees Berkley in Chapter 5 and finds herself on a freeway at rush hour, heading for _________.
4. Oedipa drives around the freeway at night without her lights on, and then ends up in a phone booth calling which bar in San Francisco?
5. A young female graduate student reveals to Oedipa that ________ drowned himself in the Pacific Ocean two days ago.
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)