|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Oedipa recites the couplet from the play which mentions Trystero and Bortz and says the quote came from a pornographic version of the play which was held where?
(a) A Puritan settlement.
(b) San Francico.
(c) The Vatican.
2. Who is Genghis Cohen?
(a) A psychiatrist.
(b) A philatelist.
(c) A philosopher.
(d) A philanthropist.
3. Genghis Cohen gives Oedipa a supposed translation from an article in an 1865 issue of Bibliotheque des Timbrophiles, which recounts a great schism in Tristero during what time period?
(a) The Black Plague.
(b) The American Revolution.
(c) The French Revolution.
(d) The Bolshevik Revolution.
4. Oedipa goes to Zapf's Used Books to buy a copy of what book?
(a) The Bible.
(b) Real Revenge Plays.
(c) Jacobean Revenge Plays.
(d) The Trystero.
5. Oedipa has a conversation in a bar with the wearer of the lapel pin, and he tells her he is a member of what group?
(a) Immorality Anonymous.
(b) Love Annonymors.
(c) Inamorati Anonymous.
(d) Thurn and Tassis.
6. The pattern of information Oedipa sees forming in Chapter 4 has to do with what?
(b) Jacobean revenge plays.
(c) Mail delivery.
7. What scientific rule does the Nefastis Machine violate?
(a) Second Law of Thermodynamics.
(b) The WASTE Law.
(c) The Law of Triads.
(d) First Law of Thermodynamics.
8. Stanley Koteks tells Oedipa ________________ is a "symptom of the gutlessness of the whole society."
9. Genghis Cohen shows Oedipa a Pony Express stamp from 1940 with the _______ symbol on the back.
10. As Oedipa sits in the apartment in Berkeley concentrating and awaiting the demon's message, what is on the TV?
(b) Metzger's movie.
(c) News about China.
(d) News about Viet Nam.
11. Genghis Cohen informs Oedipa that a mysterious new bidder requested to view the stamps in lot 49, but the request was denied for what reason?
(a) The agent refused to give the bidder's name.
(b) The agent was on the list of prohibited bidders.
(c) He was in prison.
(d) He refused to give his credit card number.
12. In her investigations in Chapter 4, Oedipa goes to what kind of meeting at Yoyodyne?
13. According to Genghis Cohen, who organized the courier service in the Bergamo region around 1290?
(a) Thurn Taxis.
(b) Omedio Tassis.
(c) Thurn Tassis.
(d) Oliver Tass.
14. Where does Genghis Cohen want to send several of the stamps he is reviewing for Oedipa?
(a) University of California.
(b) San Francisco.
(c) A Stamp Expo.
(d) An Expert Committee.
15. Who does Oedipa try to call from a phone booth before she heads to the bookstore?
Short Answer Questions
1. Oedipa reads about Blobb's account of an attack near the Lake of Piety, which left all dead except Blobb and his servant. Who attacked them?
2. Who does Oedipa dream about as she sleeps in the hotel in Berkeley?
3. What is on the cover of the book she purchases at Zapf's Used Books?
4. Bortz imagines one visionary militant addressing a group of Tristero members in a tavern to propose a merger with official postal couriers. What name does he give to this visionary?
5. What does Stanley Koteks ask Oedipa to look into at Yoyodyne when he thinks she is connected to the company?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)