|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Oedipa arrives at a German Baroque hotel in the Berkeley hills which is hosting a meeting of what organization?
(a) California Chapter of the American Hearing-impaired Assembly.
(b) California Chapter of the American Scientist Assembly.
(c) California Chapter of the American Blind Assembly.
(d) California Chapter of the American Deaf-Mute Assembly.
2. What does the Nefastis Machine do?
(a) Create thermodynamics.
(b) Sort postal symbols.
(c) Sort hot and cold molecules.
(d) Create Nuclear warheads.
3. What is Stanley Koteks doodling when Oedipa comes up to his desk?
(a) The sign of the muted post horn.
(b) The symbol of a cancelled postmark.
(c) The Yoyodyne symbol.
(d) The sign of the Triads.
4. Genghis Cohen told Oedipa, during their discussion about the meanings behind the stamps, that he had never heard of an _______ year tradition of postal fraud.
5. Who does Oedipa find in a pseudo-Mexican apartment building in Berkeley?
(a) Randolph Driblette.
(b) Emory Bortz.
(c) Clerk Maxwell.
(d) John Nefastis.
6. Where does Genghis Cohen want to send several of the stamps he is reviewing for Oedipa?
(a) An Expert Committee.
(b) University of California.
(c) San Francisco.
(d) A Stamp Expo.
7. Oedipa flees Berkley in Chapter 5 and finds herself on a freeway at rush hour, heading for _________.
(a) San Francisco.
(b) The Bay Bridge.
(c) Los Angelos.
(d) The wharf.
8. Why does Oedipa return to Kinneret to see Dr. Hilarius?
(a) To get tranquilzers.
(b) To see if she is suffering from psychosis.
(c) To tell him she longer wants to be his patient.
(d) To get hallucinogenic drugs.
9. Whose address in Berkeley does Stanley Koteks give to Oedipa?
(a) Zapf's Used Books.
(b) John Nefastis.
(c) Pierce Inverarity.
(d) The WASTE group.
10. Bortz hands Oedipa an ancient book about the _________ travels of Dr. Diocletian Blobb.
11. What does Stanley Koteks ask Oedipa to look into at Yoyodyne when he thinks she is connected to the company?
(a) Smoking ban.
(b) Clause on research.
(c) Mandatory teamwork.
(d) Clause on patents.
12. The pattern of information Oedipa sees forming in Chapter 4 has to do with what?
(c) Jacobean revenge plays.
(d) Mail delivery.
13. According to Genghis Cohen, who organized the courier service in the Bergamo region around 1290?
(a) Thurn Tassis.
(b) Omedio Tassis.
(c) Oliver Tass.
(d) Thurn Taxis.
14. Mucho's boss, Funch, says Mucho is losing his identity and becoming more ________.
15. What does Oedipa see on an airmail stamp with a jet flying by the Capital dome that is on the letter the old drunk asks her to mail?
(a) A suspicious black figure flying the plane.
(b) A WASTE symbol on the plane.
(c) A suspicious black figure on top of the dome.
(d) A dead badger on top of the dome.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Oedipa try to call from a phone booth before she heads to the bookstore?
2. How many errors did Genghis Cohen find in the stamp collection Oedipa showed him?
3. Oedipa recites the couplet from the play which mentions Trystero and Bortz and says the quote came from a pornographic version of the play which was held where?
4. Oedipa goes to Zapf's Used Books to buy a copy of what book?
5. In Chapter 5, it is explained that the equations for the entropy of heat-engines coincidentally resemble the equations for what?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)