|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Oedipa end up at the desk of Stanley Koteks?
(a) She gets lost on a tour of Yoyodyne.
(b) She is directed there by voices in her head.
(c) She follows the WASTE symbols.
(d) They are former lovers.
2. Suffering nightmares and various symptoms, Oedipa goes to a doctor and requests a pregnancy test under what name?
(a) Enda Mosh.
(b) Mrs. Maas.
(c) Grace Bortz.
(d) Mrs. Metzger.
3. Bortz suggests to Oedipa that Tristero might have caused ______ simply in order to issue the Proclamation of the 9th Frimaire, An III, ending the sanctioned postal monopoly.
(a) The French Revolution.
(b) The Black Plague.
(c) The American Revolution.
(d) The Bolshevik Revolution.
4. As Mucho and Oedipa eat at a pizzeria, what does Mucho notice about one violin heard on the Muzak playing in the restaurant?
(a) The bass is too high.
(b) The bass is too low.
(c) The C string is out of tune.
(d) The E string is tuned too sharp.
5. Where does Genghis Cohen want to send several of the stamps he is reviewing for Oedipa?
(a) University of California.
(b) An Expert Committee.
(c) A Stamp Expo.
(d) San Francisco.
6. Oedipa goes to Zapf's Used Books to buy a copy of what book?
(a) The Bible.
(b) Real Revenge Plays.
(c) Jacobean Revenge Plays.
(d) The Trystero.
7. Tristero y Calavera set up his own postal system and called himself El Desheredado, which meant what?
(a) The Desperate.
(b) The Dangerous.
(c) The Disinherited.
(d) The Disenfranchised.
8. As Oedipa sits in the apartment in Berkeley concentrating and awaiting the demon's message, what is on the TV?
(a) News about China.
(c) News about Viet Nam.
(d) Metzger's movie.
9. Oedipa goes to the stamp auction to somehow confront the mysterious bidder for lot 49 and she encounters who?
(a) Genghis Cohen.
(c) John Nefastis.
(d) Mucho Maas.
10. As Oedipa walks around the college campus in Chapter 5, she realizes her education made her what?
(a) Unfit for deciphering texts.
(b) Unfit for protests.
(c) Unfit for this world.
(d) Unfit for being a sensitive.
11. Oedipa flees Berkley in Chapter 5 and finds herself on a freeway at rush hour, heading for _________.
(a) Los Angelos.
(b) The Bay Bridge.
(c) San Francisco.
(d) The wharf.
12. Where does Stanley Koteks tell Oedipa to go instead of Berkeley after he becomes distrustful of her?
(a) Los Angeles.
(b) San Narciso.
(c) San Francisco.
13. What happens to Oedipa after she knocks on the door of Dr. Hilarius's office in Chapter 5?
(a) He gives her LSD.
(b) He makes love to her.
(c) He begs her to run away with him.
(d) He takes her hostage.
14. Who does Oedipa try to call from a phone booth before she heads to the bookstore?
15. Oedipa, accompanied by Bortz and the graduate students, attends the funeral and tries to reach out to some remaining trace of life in the grave in a similar fashion to what?
(a) A hallucination.
(b) Communicating with sensitives.
(c) A seance.
(d) Communicating with Maxwell's Demon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Oedipa tell Stanley Koteks sent her to him as she comes upon him doodling at his desk at Yoyodyne?
2. What scientific rule does the Nefastis Machine violate?
3. Bortz hands Oedipa an ancient book about the _________ travels of Dr. Diocletian Blobb.
4. Oedipa drives around the freeway at night without her lights on, and then ends up in a phone booth calling which bar in San Francisco?
5. Bortz leads Oedipa into a study to view woodcut illustrations from the pornographic version of the play. What does she see hovering in the background of the obscene images?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)