|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While wandering amongst the tourists in downtown San Francisco, Oedipa sees what on a lapel pin?
(a) KCUF radio symbol.
(b) Thurn and Tassis.
(c) WASTE symbol.
(d) Maxwell's demon.
2. Oedipa returns to Echo Courts to find the Paranoids in shock because _________ ran off with one of their girlfriends.
(c) Humbert Humbert.
3. Metzger tells Mike Fallopian he is so right-wing that he's left-wing, and possibly a Marxist, since he is invoking the _______theory.
(c) Surplus Value.
(d) Open Markets.
4. On her way to visit Emory Bortz, what building does Oedipa see burned down?
(a) The Tank Theater.
(b) Vespers House.
(c) Zapf's Used Books.
(d) KCUF radio station.
5. The San Francisco tourist wearing the lapel pin advises Oedipa to write his group's founder through the ____ system.
(a) Underground mail.
(b) Peter Pinguid Society.
6. In the time period that brought the creation of The Tristero organization, what was the name of the organization that ran the sanctioned mail routes?
(a) Thurn and Taxis.
(b) Committee of Eighteen.
(c) Orange Brigade.
7. Dr. Hilarius protests that if he had been a real Nazi he would have become a Jungian. Instead, he chose to follow __________.
8. What does the Nefastis Machine do?
(a) Sort postal symbols.
(b) Sort hot and cold molecules.
(c) Create Nuclear warheads.
(d) Create thermodynamics.
9. Suffering nightmares and various symptoms, Oedipa goes to a doctor and requests a pregnancy test under what name?
(a) Grace Bortz.
(b) Mrs. Metzger.
(c) Mrs. Maas.
(d) Enda Mosh.
10. What is the name of the home for senior citizens that Oedipa visits?
(a) Vespers House.
(b) Haven House.
(c) Vestibule House.
(d) Vesperhaven House.
11. A young female graduate student reveals to Oedipa that ________ drowned himself in the Pacific Ocean two days ago.
12. Oedipa flees Berkley in Chapter 5 and finds herself on a freeway at rush hour, heading for _________.
(a) The Bay Bridge.
(b) The wharf.
(c) San Francisco.
(d) Los Angelos.
13. What was the name of the author of the preface of the "Plays of Ford, Webster, Tourneur and Wharfinger," who Oedipa travels to the Cal State campus to find?
(a) John Nefastis.
(b) Clerk Maxwell.
(c) Emory Bortz.
(d) Stanley Koteks.
14. Genghis Cohen told Oedipa, during their discussion about the meanings behind the stamps, that he had never heard of an _______ year tradition of postal fraud.
15. After finding a copy of Plays of Ford, Webster, Tourneur and Wharfinger, Oedipa discovers a note that says "trystero" may be derived from the Italian word "triste." What does this word mean?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Stanley Koteks doodling when Oedipa comes up to his desk?
2. The pattern of information Oedipa sees forming in Chapter 4 has to do with what?
3. Who does Oedipa find in a pseudo-Mexican apartment building in Berkeley?
4. What is the name of the religious splinter group Bortz attributes to changing the pornographic version of the play?
5. When Oedipa returns to the bar near the Yoyodyne plant, who does she find surrounded by women and dressed in army fatigues as if he were a guerrilla leader?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)