|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Oedipa find in a pseudo-Mexican apartment building in Berkeley?
(a) Randolph Driblette.
(b) Clerk Maxwell.
(c) Emory Bortz.
(d) John Nefastis.
2. When Oedipa visits Genghis Cohen for the first time, what does he give her to drink?
(a) German wine.
(b) Dandelion vodka.
(c) German vodka.
(d) Dandelion wine.
3. Genghis Cohen shows Oedipa a Pony Express stamp from 1940 with the _______ symbol on the back.
4. The name Tristero can be traced back to Hernando Joaquin de Tristero y Calavera who claimed to be _________ and thus the rightful Grand Master of the Post.
(a) The true lord of Ohama.
(b) The true lord of Ohain.
(c) The true lord of the Committee of Eighteen.
(d) The true lord of Orange.
5. Genghis Cohen claims that the stamp, which depicts a Pony Express rider galloping out of a western fort into a black feather, is what?
6. A young female graduate student reveals to Oedipa that ________ drowned himself in the Pacific Ocean two days ago.
7. What kind of stamp does Genghis Cohen invite Oedipa over to view that bears the muted post horn, belly-up badger, and a motto referring to Tristero's empire?
(a) An old French stamp.
(b) An old American stamp.
(c) An old European stamp.
(d) An old Russian stamp.
8. Suffering nightmares and various symptoms, Oedipa goes to a doctor and requests a pregnancy test under what name?
(a) Mrs. Maas.
(b) Grace Bortz.
(c) Mrs. Metzger.
(d) Enda Mosh.
9. Mr. Thoth pulls a gold signet ring with the ________ symbol out of his knitting bag, which he says his grandfather cut from the finger of an Indian he had killed.
10. Oedipa flees Berkley in Chapter 5 and finds herself on a freeway at rush hour, heading for _________.
(a) San Francisco.
(b) Los Angelos.
(c) The Bay Bridge.
(d) The wharf.
11. Bortz suggests to Oedipa that Tristero might have caused ______ simply in order to issue the Proclamation of the 9th Frimaire, An III, ending the sanctioned postal monopoly.
(a) The French Revolution.
(b) The Black Plague.
(c) The American Revolution.
(d) The Bolshevik Revolution.
12. Why does Oedipa return to Kinneret to see Dr. Hilarius?
(a) To get tranquilzers.
(b) To tell him she longer wants to be his patient.
(c) To see if she is suffering from psychosis.
(d) To get hallucinogenic drugs.
13. What does the owner of the government surplus store, Winthrop Tremaine, tell Oedipa there is a large demand for?
(a) SS uniforms.
(c) Rifles and swastika armbands.
(d) School clothing.
14. After arriving at Dr. Hilarius's clinic, Oedipa is told what by the doctor's assistant?
(a) He is in love with Oedipa.
(b) He is moving to China.
(c) He is head of the WASTE organization.
(d) He has gone crazy.
15. As Oedipa sits in the apartment in Berkeley concentrating and awaiting the demon's message, what is on the TV?
(a) News about China.
(b) News about Viet Nam.
(d) Metzger's movie.
Short Answer Questions
1. After finding a copy of Plays of Ford, Webster, Tourneur and Wharfinger, Oedipa discovers a note that says "trystero" may be derived from the Italian word "triste." What does this word mean?
2. What happens to Oedipa after she knocks on the door of Dr. Hilarius's office in Chapter 5?
3. Bortz imagines one visionary militant addressing a group of Tristero members in a tavern to propose a merger with official postal couriers. What name does he give to this visionary?
4. Oedipa drives around the freeway at night without her lights on, and then ends up in a phone booth calling which bar in San Francisco?
5. What is the purpose of the group as explained by the tourist wearing the lapel pin?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)