|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Oedipa return to Kinneret to see Dr. Hilarius?
(a) To see if she is suffering from psychosis.
(b) To get tranquilzers.
(c) To get hallucinogenic drugs.
(d) To tell him she longer wants to be his patient.
2. What is on the cover of the book she purchases at Zapf's Used Books?
(a) The Nefastis Machine.
(b) A WASTE symbol.
(c) A Tristero.
(d) A Skull.
3. What is the name of the auctioneer who will be crying the lots the day Oedipa goes?
(a) Luke Passion.
(b) Lone Passtime.
(c) Loren Passerine.
(d) Lorne Passering.
4. On her way to visit Emory Bortz, what building does Oedipa see burned down?
(a) KCUF radio station.
(b) Zapf's Used Books.
(c) Vespers House.
(d) The Tank Theater.
5. After arriving at Dr. Hilarius's clinic, Oedipa is told what by the doctor's assistant?
(a) He has gone crazy.
(b) He is moving to China.
(c) He is head of the WASTE organization.
(d) He is in love with Oedipa.
6. According to Genghis Cohen, who organized the courier service in the Bergamo region around 1290?
(a) Thurn Taxis.
(b) Oliver Tass.
(c) Omedio Tassis.
(d) Thurn Tassis.
7. What kind of stamp does Genghis Cohen invite Oedipa over to view that bears the muted post horn, belly-up badger, and a motto referring to Tristero's empire?
(a) An old American stamp.
(b) An old French stamp.
(c) An old Russian stamp.
(d) An old European stamp.
8. Oedipa, accompanied by Bortz and the graduate students, attends the funeral and tries to reach out to some remaining trace of life in the grave in a similar fashion to what?
(a) A hallucination.
(b) A seance.
(c) Communicating with sensitives.
(d) Communicating with Maxwell's Demon.
9. Where does Stanley Koteks tell Oedipa to go instead of Berkeley after he becomes distrustful of her?
(a) San Narciso.
(c) Los Angeles.
(d) San Francisco.
10. What happens to Oedipa after she knocks on the door of Dr. Hilarius's office in Chapter 5?
(a) He gives her LSD.
(b) He begs her to run away with him.
(c) He makes love to her.
(d) He takes her hostage.
11. After Oedipa follows the wino with the bag of letters, where does she find the can with the WASTE symbol on the side?
(a) At her hotel.
(b) On a bus.
(c) Behind Nefastis' apartment.
(d) Under the freeway
12. When Oedipa returns to the bar near the Yoyodyne plant, who does she find surrounded by women and dressed in army fatigues as if he were a guerrilla leader?
(a) Mike Fallopian.
13. Oedipa arrives at a German Baroque hotel in the Berkeley hills which is hosting a meeting of what organization?
(a) California Chapter of the American Blind Assembly.
(b) California Chapter of the American Scientist Assembly.
(c) California Chapter of the American Hearing-impaired Assembly.
(d) California Chapter of the American Deaf-Mute Assembly.
14. Dr. Hilarius protests that if he had been a real Nazi he would have become a Jungian. Instead, he chose to follow __________.
15. Bortz suggests to Oedipa that Tristero might have caused ______ simply in order to issue the Proclamation of the 9th Frimaire, An III, ending the sanctioned postal monopoly.
(a) The American Revolution.
(b) The Black Plague.
(c) The Bolshevik Revolution.
(d) The French Revolution.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mucho interviews Oedipa after she leaves Dr. Hilarius's office, what name does her call her?
2. Genghis Cohen shows Oedipa an old German stamp with Thurn and Taxis printed on it which has a special symbol in each corner. He suggests that the extra mark on the symbol is a ______.
3. While walking down a stretch of railroad track, Oedipa remembers that Inverarity had once told her the secret to success was what?
4. Genghis Cohen gives Oedipa a supposed translation from an article in an 1865 issue of Bibliotheque des Timbrophiles, which recounts a great schism in Tristero during what time period?
5. How many errors did Genghis Cohen find in the stamp collection Oedipa showed him?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)