|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the religious splinter group Bortz attributes to changing the pornographic version of the play?
(d) Thurn and Taxis.
2. What happens to Oedipa after she knocks on the door of Dr. Hilarius's office in Chapter 5?
(a) He begs her to run away with him.
(b) He takes her hostage.
(c) He gives her LSD.
(d) He makes love to her.
3. Oedipa recites the couplet from the play which mentions Trystero and Bortz and says the quote came from a pornographic version of the play which was held where?
(a) The Vatican.
(c) A Puritan settlement.
(d) San Francico.
4. Genghis Cohen shows Oedipa an old German stamp with Thurn and Taxis printed on it which has a special symbol in each corner. He suggests that the extra mark on the symbol is a ______.
5. Genghis Cohen informs Oedipa that a mysterious new bidder requested to view the stamps in lot 49, but the request was denied for what reason?
(a) He refused to give his credit card number.
(b) The agent refused to give the bidder's name.
(c) He was in prison.
(d) The agent was on the list of prohibited bidders.
6. In the time period that brought the creation of The Tristero organization, what was the name of the organization that ran the sanctioned mail routes?
(a) Orange Brigade.
(b) Thurn and Taxis.
(d) Committee of Eighteen.
7. While walking down a stretch of railroad track, Oedipa remembers that Inverarity had once told her the secret to success was what?
(a) Buy low, sell high.
(b) Keep it bouncing.
(c) Trust no one.
(d) Keep it going.
8. When Oedipa meets Mike Fallopian for the second time, he tells her it is difficult to find documentary proof of what?
(a) The Second Law of Thermodynamics.
(b) Acts of true kindness.
(c) Attacks on mail carriers.
(d) The Trystero.
9. Mr. Thoth, a resident of the home for senior citizens, wakes from a doze and mentions to Oedipa that his grandfather rode for the ______________.
(a) Continental Railroad.
(d) Pony Express.
10. What is the name of the home for senior citizens that Oedipa visits?
(a) Vespers House.
(b) Vestibule House.
(c) Vesperhaven House.
(d) Haven House.
11. Oedipa flees Berkley in Chapter 5 and finds herself on a freeway at rush hour, heading for _________.
(a) Los Angelos.
(b) The wharf.
(c) The Bay Bridge.
(d) San Francisco.
12. What was the name of the author of the preface of the "Plays of Ford, Webster, Tourneur and Wharfinger," who Oedipa travels to the Cal State campus to find?
(a) Emory Bortz.
(b) John Nefastis.
(c) Clerk Maxwell.
(d) Stanley Koteks.
13. Genghis Cohen told Oedipa, during their discussion about the meanings behind the stamps, that he had never heard of an _______ year tradition of postal fraud.
14. What happens when Oedipa returns to her hotel in Berkeley?
(a) She sleeps wtih John Nefastis.
(b) She finds Mucho waiting in her room.
(c) She sees the ghost of Inverarity.
(d) A young man waltzes her around the ballroom.
15. Genghis Cohen gives Oedipa a supposed translation from an article in an 1865 issue of Bibliotheque des Timbrophiles, which recounts a great schism in Tristero during what time period?
(a) The American Revolution.
(b) The French Revolution.
(c) The Black Plague.
(d) The Bolshevik Revolution.
Short Answer Questions
1. Oedipa, accompanied by Bortz and the graduate students, attends the funeral and tries to reach out to some remaining trace of life in the grave in a similar fashion to what?
2. Oedipa drives around the freeway at night without her lights on, and then ends up in a phone booth calling which bar in San Francisco?
3. Who does Oedipa try to call from a phone booth before she heads to the bookstore?
4. As Mucho and Oedipa eat at a pizzeria, what does Mucho notice about one violin heard on the Muzak playing in the restaurant?
5. As Oedipa walks around the college campus in Chapter 5, she realizes her education made her what?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)