|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the home for senior citizens that Oedipa visits?
(a) Haven House.
(b) Vespers House.
(c) Vesperhaven House.
(d) Vestibule House.
2. As Oedipa sits in the apartment in Berkeley concentrating and awaiting the demon's message, what is on the TV?
(a) Metzger's movie.
(b) News about Viet Nam.
(d) News about China.
3. Who does Oedipa try to call from a phone booth before she heads to the bookstore?
4. After Oedipa follows the wino with the bag of letters, where does she find the can with the WASTE symbol on the side?
(a) Under the freeway
(b) On a bus.
(c) At her hotel.
(d) Behind Nefastis' apartment.
5. When Oedipa meets Mike Fallopian for the second time, he tells her it is difficult to find documentary proof of what?
(a) The Second Law of Thermodynamics.
(b) Acts of true kindness.
(c) Attacks on mail carriers.
(d) The Trystero.
6. Which of the following is NOT a place that Oedipa encountered the WASTE symbol?
(a) Written in chalk on a sidewalk.
(b) An herbalist's window in Chinatown.
(c) A message in a fortune cookie.
(d) Gang jackets of delinquents at the city beach.
7. How does Oedipa end up at the desk of Stanley Koteks?
(a) She is directed there by voices in her head.
(b) She gets lost on a tour of Yoyodyne.
(c) She follows the WASTE symbols.
(d) They are former lovers.
8. When Oedipa visits Genghis Cohen for the first time, what does he give her to drink?
(a) Dandelion wine.
(b) German wine.
(c) Dandelion vodka.
(d) German vodka.
9. Who does Oedipa find in a pseudo-Mexican apartment building in Berkeley?
(a) Emory Bortz.
(b) Clerk Maxwell.
(c) John Nefastis.
(d) Randolph Driblette.
10. After finding a copy of Plays of Ford, Webster, Tourneur and Wharfinger, Oedipa discovers a note that says "trystero" may be derived from the Italian word "triste." What does this word mean?
11. When Oedipa calls Emory Bortz, what does his wife Grace tell her Bortz is doing at the moment?
(a) Pouring drinks.
(b) Killing their children.
(c) Pouring a patio.
12. The San Francisco tourist wearing the lapel pin advises Oedipa to write his group's founder through the ____ system.
(c) Peter Pinguid Society.
(d) Underground mail.
13. As Oedipa drives to Berkeley to find the source text for the Jacobean revenge play, she misses the exit to where?
(a) The wharf.
(b) The Bay Bridge.
(d) The hotel.
14. What was the name of the author of the preface of the "Plays of Ford, Webster, Tourneur and Wharfinger," who Oedipa travels to the Cal State campus to find?
(a) John Nefastis.
(b) Clerk Maxwell.
(c) Stanley Koteks.
(d) Emory Bortz.
15. What does the Nefastis Machine do?
(a) Create Nuclear warheads.
(b) Sort hot and cold molecules.
(c) Create thermodynamics.
(d) Sort postal symbols.
Short Answer Questions
1. Oedipa, accompanied by Bortz and the graduate students, attends the funeral and tries to reach out to some remaining trace of life in the grave in a similar fashion to what?
2. What does the owner of the government surplus store, Winthrop Tremaine, tell Oedipa there is a large demand for?
3. Oedipa has a conversation in a bar with the wearer of the lapel pin, and he tells her he is a member of what group?
4. Who answers the phone when Oedipa tries to call Driblette from her motel room in Chapter 6?
5. When Oedipa returns to the bar near the Yoyodyne plant, who does she find surrounded by women and dressed in army fatigues as if he were a guerrilla leader?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)