|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Genghis Cohen want to send several of the stamps he is reviewing for Oedipa?
(a) An Expert Committee.
(b) San Francisco.
(c) A Stamp Expo.
(d) University of California.
2. What is the name of the religious splinter group Bortz attributes to changing the pornographic version of the play?
(a) Thurn and Taxis.
3. In her investigations in Chapter 4, Oedipa goes to what kind of meeting at Yoyodyne?
4. Dr. Hilarius protests that if he had been a real Nazi he would have become a Jungian. Instead, he chose to follow __________.
5. Genghis Cohen claims that the stamp, which depicts a Pony Express rider galloping out of a western fort into a black feather, is what?
6. While walking down a stretch of railroad track, Oedipa remembers that Inverarity had once told her the secret to success was what?
(a) Trust no one.
(b) Buy low, sell high.
(c) Keep it going.
(d) Keep it bouncing.
7. The Paranoids sing a song recounting how men like __________ seduce younger women?
(d) Humbert Humbert.
8. Metzger tells Mike Fallopian he is so right-wing that he's left-wing, and possibly a Marxist, since he is invoking the _______theory.
(a) Open Markets.
(c) Surplus Value.
9. The name Tristero can be traced back to Hernando Joaquin de Tristero y Calavera who claimed to be _________ and thus the rightful Grand Master of the Post.
(a) The true lord of Ohain.
(b) The true lord of Orange.
(c) The true lord of the Committee of Eighteen.
(d) The true lord of Ohama.
10. Who does Oedipa tell Stanley Koteks sent her to him as she comes upon him doodling at his desk at Yoyodyne?
11. When Mucho interviews Oedipa after she leaves Dr. Hilarius's office, what name does her call her?
(a) Oedipa Maas.
(b) Sweetie Pie.
(c) His Oedy.
(d) Edna Mosh.
12. Bortz imagines one visionary militant addressing a group of Tristero members in a tavern to propose a merger with official postal couriers. What name does he give to this visionary?
13. After losing noble patronage, the majority of Tristero members fled to where during 1849-50?
14. After finding a copy of Plays of Ford, Webster, Tourneur and Wharfinger, Oedipa discovers a note that says "trystero" may be derived from the Italian word "triste." What does this word mean?
15. What does the owner of the government surplus store, Winthrop Tremaine, tell Oedipa there is a large demand for?
(a) School clothing.
(b) SS uniforms.
(c) Rifles and swastika armbands.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many errors did Genghis Cohen find in the stamp collection Oedipa showed him?
2. Who does Dr. Hilarius think the police are when they come to his clinic?
3. Who does Oedipa find in a pseudo-Mexican apartment building in Berkeley?
4. After Oedipa follows the wino with the bag of letters, where does she find the can with the WASTE symbol on the side?
5. The pattern of information Oedipa sees forming in Chapter 4 has to do with what?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)