|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Oedipa find at an all-night Mexican diner in San Francisco?
(a) Randolph Driblette.
(b) Grace Bortz.
(c) Jesus Arrabal.
(d) John Nefastis.
2. According to Genghis Cohen, who organized the courier service in the Bergamo region around 1290?
(a) Omedio Tassis.
(b) Oliver Tass.
(c) Thurn Tassis.
(d) Thurn Taxis.
3. As Oedipa walks around the college campus in Chapter 5, she realizes her education made her what?
(a) Unfit for deciphering texts.
(b) Unfit for protests.
(c) Unfit for this world.
(d) Unfit for being a sensitive.
4. A young female graduate student reveals to Oedipa that ________ drowned himself in the Pacific Ocean two days ago.
5. What is the name of the home for senior citizens that Oedipa visits?
(a) Vestibule House.
(b) Vesperhaven House.
(c) Haven House.
(d) Vespers House.
6. Bortz imagines one visionary militant addressing a group of Tristero members in a tavern to propose a merger with official postal couriers. What name does he give to this visionary?
7. What does Stanley Koteks ask Oedipa to look into at Yoyodyne when he thinks she is connected to the company?
(a) Smoking ban.
(b) Clause on patents.
(c) Mandatory teamwork.
(d) Clause on research.
8. Suffering nightmares and various symptoms, Oedipa goes to a doctor and requests a pregnancy test under what name?
(a) Enda Mosh.
(b) Mrs. Maas.
(c) Mrs. Metzger.
(d) Grace Bortz.
9. How does Oedipa end up at the desk of Stanley Koteks?
(a) She is directed there by voices in her head.
(b) She gets lost on a tour of Yoyodyne.
(c) They are former lovers.
(d) She follows the WASTE symbols.
10. Genghis Cohen told Oedipa, during their discussion about the meanings behind the stamps, that he had never heard of an _______ year tradition of postal fraud.
11. Genghis Cohen informs Oedipa that a mysterious new bidder requested to view the stamps in lot 49, but the request was denied for what reason?
(a) He refused to give his credit card number.
(b) He was in prison.
(c) The agent was on the list of prohibited bidders.
(d) The agent refused to give the bidder's name.
12. Bortz leads Oedipa into a study to view woodcut illustrations from the pornographic version of the play. What does she see hovering in the background of the obscene images?
(a) WASTE symbol.
13. What is the name of the auctioneer who will be crying the lots the day Oedipa goes?
(a) Lorne Passering.
(b) Loren Passerine.
(c) Lone Passtime.
(d) Luke Passion.
14. What scientific rule does the Nefastis Machine violate?
(a) Second Law of Thermodynamics.
(b) The WASTE Law.
(c) The Law of Triads.
(d) First Law of Thermodynamics.
15. Oedipa, accompanied by Bortz and the graduate students, attends the funeral and tries to reach out to some remaining trace of life in the grave in a similar fashion to what?
(a) Communicating with sensitives.
(b) Communicating with Maxwell's Demon.
(c) A seance.
(d) A hallucination.
Short Answer Questions
1. Oedipa pieces together an account of how the Tristero organization began in what year?
2. Oedipa goes to Zapf's Used Books to buy a copy of what book?
3. As Mucho and Oedipa eat at a pizzeria, what does Mucho notice about one violin heard on the Muzak playing in the restaurant?
4. Who is Genghis Cohen?
5. The Paranoids sing a song recounting how men like __________ seduce younger women?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)