|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Paranoids sing a song recounting how men like __________ seduce younger women?
(b) Humbert Humbert.
2. What is on the cover of the book she purchases at Zapf's Used Books?
(a) A WASTE symbol.
(b) A Skull.
(c) The Nefastis Machine.
(d) A Tristero.
3. In her investigations in Chapter 4, Oedipa goes to what kind of meeting at Yoyodyne?
4. What is the name of the auctioneer who will be crying the lots the day Oedipa goes?
(a) Luke Passion.
(b) Lone Passtime.
(c) Lorne Passering.
(d) Loren Passerine.
5. Bortz imagines one visionary militant addressing a group of Tristero members in a tavern to propose a merger with official postal couriers. What name does he give to this visionary?
6. What does the Nefastis Machine do?
(a) Sort hot and cold molecules.
(b) Sort postal symbols.
(c) Create Nuclear warheads.
(d) Create thermodynamics.
7. When Oedipa calls Emory Bortz, what does his wife Grace tell her Bortz is doing at the moment?
(a) Pouring a patio.
(b) Pouring drinks.
(c) Killing their children.
8. What scientific rule does the Nefastis Machine violate?
(a) The Law of Triads.
(b) The WASTE Law.
(c) Second Law of Thermodynamics.
(d) First Law of Thermodynamics.
9. When Oedipa meets Mike Fallopian for the second time, he tells her it is difficult to find documentary proof of what?
(a) Attacks on mail carriers.
(b) Acts of true kindness.
(c) The Trystero.
(d) The Second Law of Thermodynamics.
10. Oedipa has a conversation in a bar with the wearer of the lapel pin, and he tells her he is a member of what group?
(a) Inamorati Anonymous.
(b) Immorality Anonymous.
(c) Thurn and Tassis.
(d) Love Annonymors.
11. As Mucho and Oedipa eat at a pizzeria, what does Mucho notice about one violin heard on the Muzak playing in the restaurant?
(a) The E string is tuned too sharp.
(b) The bass is too low.
(c) The C string is out of tune.
(d) The bass is too high.
12. The name Tristero can be traced back to Hernando Joaquin de Tristero y Calavera who claimed to be _________ and thus the rightful Grand Master of the Post.
(a) The true lord of the Committee of Eighteen.
(b) The true lord of Ohama.
(c) The true lord of Ohain.
(d) The true lord of Orange.
13. What was the name of the author of the preface of the "Plays of Ford, Webster, Tourneur and Wharfinger," who Oedipa travels to the Cal State campus to find?
(a) Emory Bortz.
(b) John Nefastis.
(c) Stanley Koteks.
(d) Clerk Maxwell.
14. Genghis Cohen gives Oedipa a supposed translation from an article in an 1865 issue of Bibliotheque des Timbrophiles, which recounts a great schism in Tristero during what time period?
(a) The Bolshevik Revolution.
(b) The American Revolution.
(c) The French Revolution.
(d) The Black Plague.
15. Genghis Cohen informs Oedipa that a mysterious new bidder requested to view the stamps in lot 49, but the request was denied for what reason?
(a) He refused to give his credit card number.
(b) The agent was on the list of prohibited bidders.
(c) The agent refused to give the bidder's name.
(d) He was in prison.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Stanley Koteks doodling when Oedipa comes up to his desk?
2. Who does Oedipa tell Stanley Koteks sent her to him as she comes upon him doodling at his desk at Yoyodyne?
3. Suffering nightmares and various symptoms, Oedipa goes to a doctor and requests a pregnancy test under what name?
4. In Oedipa's search for the source text for the Jacobean revenge play , the publisher sends her to a warehouse in what city?
5. Whose address in Berkeley does Stanley Koteks give to Oedipa?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)