|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Genghis Cohen informs Oedipa that a mysterious new bidder requested to view the stamps in lot 49, but the request was denied for what reason?
(a) He refused to give his credit card number.
(b) He was in prison.
(c) The agent was on the list of prohibited bidders.
(d) The agent refused to give the bidder's name.
2. In the time period that brought the creation of The Tristero organization, what was the name of the organization that ran the sanctioned mail routes?
(b) Orange Brigade.
(c) Committee of Eighteen.
(d) Thurn and Taxis.
3. Who does Oedipa try to call from a phone booth before she heads to the bookstore?
4. Oedipa goes to the stamp auction to somehow confront the mysterious bidder for lot 49 and she encounters who?
(a) Genghis Cohen.
(b) John Nefastis.
(d) Mucho Maas.
5. What is the name of the religious splinter group Bortz attributes to changing the pornographic version of the play?
(a) Thurn and Taxis.
6. While walking down a stretch of railroad track, Oedipa remembers that Inverarity had once told her the secret to success was what?
(a) Buy low, sell high.
(b) Keep it bouncing.
(c) Keep it going.
(d) Trust no one.
7. Who answers the phone when Oedipa tries to call Driblette from her motel room in Chapter 6?
(a) Driblette's mother.
(b) A graduate student.
(c) His girlfriend.
(d) Grace Bortz.
8. Genghis Cohen told Oedipa, during their discussion about the meanings behind the stamps, that he had never heard of an _______ year tradition of postal fraud.
9. Genghis Cohen shows Oedipa a Pony Express stamp from 1940 with the _______ symbol on the back.
10. Oedipa has a conversation in a bar with the wearer of the lapel pin, and he tells her he is a member of what group?
(a) Immorality Anonymous.
(b) Thurn and Tassis.
(c) Inamorati Anonymous.
(d) Love Annonymors.
11. What does the owner of the government surplus store, Winthrop Tremaine, tell Oedipa there is a large demand for?
(b) Rifles and swastika armbands.
(c) School clothing.
(d) SS uniforms.
12. After losing noble patronage, the majority of Tristero members fled to where during 1849-50?
13. Who does Oedipa find in a pseudo-Mexican apartment building in Berkeley?
(a) Randolph Driblette.
(b) Clerk Maxwell.
(c) John Nefastis.
(d) Emory Bortz.
14. Oedipa arrives at a German Baroque hotel in the Berkeley hills which is hosting a meeting of what organization?
(a) California Chapter of the American Blind Assembly.
(b) California Chapter of the American Scientist Assembly.
(c) California Chapter of the American Hearing-impaired Assembly.
(d) California Chapter of the American Deaf-Mute Assembly.
15. Oedipa pieces together an account of how the Tristero organization began in what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dr. Hilarius think the police are when they come to his clinic?
2. Stanley Koteks tells Oedipa ________________ is a "symptom of the gutlessness of the whole society."
3. As Mucho and Oedipa eat at a pizzeria, what does Mucho notice about one violin heard on the Muzak playing in the restaurant?
4. Mucho's boss, Funch, says Mucho is losing his identity and becoming more ________.
5. As Oedipa drives to Berkeley to find the source text for the Jacobean revenge play, she misses the exit to where?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)