|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bortz suggests to Oedipa that Tristero might have caused ______ simply in order to issue the Proclamation of the 9th Frimaire, An III, ending the sanctioned postal monopoly.
(a) The French Revolution.
(b) The Bolshevik Revolution.
(c) The Black Plague.
(d) The American Revolution.
2. What is Stanley Koteks doodling when Oedipa comes up to his desk?
(a) The symbol of a cancelled postmark.
(b) The sign of the Triads.
(c) The sign of the muted post horn.
(d) The Yoyodyne symbol.
3. At Professor Bortz's house, Oedipa asks Bortz to tell her about the historical Wharfinger. Bortz sneers, saying he can only talk about __________.
4. When Mucho interviews Oedipa after she leaves Dr. Hilarius's office, what name does her call her?
(a) Sweetie Pie.
(b) Oedipa Maas.
(c) Edna Mosh.
(d) His Oedy.
5. What does the Nefastis Machine do?
(a) Sort postal symbols.
(b) Create thermodynamics.
(c) Sort hot and cold molecules.
(d) Create Nuclear warheads.
6. What does Mucho offer to Oedipa before they leave the pizzeria?
(a) His forgiveness.
(d) A divorce.
7. Metzger tells Mike Fallopian he is so right-wing that he's left-wing, and possibly a Marxist, since he is invoking the _______theory.
(b) Open Markets.
(c) Surplus Value.
8. In Chapter 5, it is explained that the equations for the entropy of heat-engines coincidentally resemble the equations for what?
9. What does Oedipa see on an airmail stamp with a jet flying by the Capital dome that is on the letter the old drunk asks her to mail?
(a) A dead badger on top of the dome.
(b) A suspicious black figure on top of the dome.
(c) A WASTE symbol on the plane.
(d) A suspicious black figure flying the plane.
10. What is the purpose of the group as explained by the tourist wearing the lapel pin?
(a) To help people fall in love.
(b) It is a secret society of reformed sinners.
(c) It is a secret society of renegade postal workers.
(d) To help people not fall in love.
11. The San Francisco tourist wearing the lapel pin advises Oedipa to write his group's founder through the ____ system.
(a) Peter Pinguid Society.
(c) Underground mail.
12. Who does Oedipa tell Stanley Koteks sent her to him as she comes upon him doodling at his desk at Yoyodyne?
13. As Mucho and Oedipa eat at a pizzeria, what does Mucho notice about one violin heard on the Muzak playing in the restaurant?
(a) The bass is too high.
(b) The E string is tuned too sharp.
(c) The C string is out of tune.
(d) The bass is too low.
14. Oedipa, accompanied by Bortz and the graduate students, attends the funeral and tries to reach out to some remaining trace of life in the grave in a similar fashion to what?
(a) A seance.
(b) A hallucination.
(c) Communicating with sensitives.
(d) Communicating with Maxwell's Demon.
15. The name Tristero can be traced back to Hernando Joaquin de Tristero y Calavera who claimed to be _________ and thus the rightful Grand Master of the Post.
(a) The true lord of Ohama.
(b) The true lord of Orange.
(c) The true lord of Ohain.
(d) The true lord of the Committee of Eighteen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the author of the preface of the "Plays of Ford, Webster, Tourneur and Wharfinger," who Oedipa travels to the Cal State campus to find?
2. As Oedipa walks around the college campus in Chapter 5, she realizes her education made her what?
3. A young female graduate student reveals to Oedipa that ________ drowned himself in the Pacific Ocean two days ago.
4. Genghis Cohen shows Oedipa a Pony Express stamp from 1940 with the _______ symbol on the back.
5. What happens when Oedipa returns to her hotel in Berkeley?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)