|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stanley Koteks ask Oedipa to look into at Yoyodyne when he thinks she is connected to the company?
(a) Smoking ban.
(b) Clause on patents.
(c) Clause on research.
(d) Mandatory teamwork.
2. A young female graduate student reveals to Oedipa that ________ drowned himself in the Pacific Ocean two days ago.
3. Dr. Hilarius protests that if he had been a real Nazi he would have become a Jungian. Instead, he chose to follow __________.
4. Whose address in Berkeley does Stanley Koteks give to Oedipa?
(a) The WASTE group.
(b) John Nefastis.
(c) Zapf's Used Books.
(d) Pierce Inverarity.
5. Mr. Thoth, a resident of the home for senior citizens, wakes from a doze and mentions to Oedipa that his grandfather rode for the ______________.
(c) Continental Railroad.
(d) Pony Express.
6. What is Stanley Koteks doodling when Oedipa comes up to his desk?
(a) The sign of the Triads.
(b) The Yoyodyne symbol.
(c) The symbol of a cancelled postmark.
(d) The sign of the muted post horn.
7. When Mucho interviews Oedipa after she leaves Dr. Hilarius's office, what name does her call her?
(a) Sweetie Pie.
(b) His Oedy.
(c) Oedipa Maas.
(d) Edna Mosh.
8. As Oedipa walks around the college campus in Chapter 5, she realizes her education made her what?
(a) Unfit for being a sensitive.
(b) Unfit for protests.
(c) Unfit for deciphering texts.
(d) Unfit for this world.
9. What happens to Oedipa after she knocks on the door of Dr. Hilarius's office in Chapter 5?
(a) He takes her hostage.
(b) He makes love to her.
(c) He gives her LSD.
(d) He begs her to run away with him.
10. Who answers the phone when Oedipa tries to call Driblette from her motel room in Chapter 6?
(a) His girlfriend.
(b) Driblette's mother.
(c) A graduate student.
(d) Grace Bortz.
11. Oedipa has a conversation in a bar with the wearer of the lapel pin, and he tells her he is a member of what group?
(a) Inamorati Anonymous.
(b) Thurn and Tassis.
(c) Immorality Anonymous.
(d) Love Annonymors.
12. Oedipa returns to Echo Courts to find the Paranoids in shock because _________ ran off with one of their girlfriends.
(b) Humbert Humbert.
13. Who does Oedipa find in a pseudo-Mexican apartment building in Berkeley?
(a) Randolph Driblette.
(b) John Nefastis.
(c) Clerk Maxwell.
(d) Emory Bortz.
14. Tristero y Calavera set up his own postal system and called himself El Desheredado, which meant what?
(a) The Disinherited.
(b) The Dangerous.
(c) The Disenfranchised.
(d) The Desperate.
15. Bortz suggests to Oedipa that Tristero might have caused ______ simply in order to issue the Proclamation of the 9th Frimaire, An III, ending the sanctioned postal monopoly.
(a) The Bolshevik Revolution.
(b) The American Revolution.
(c) The French Revolution.
(d) The Black Plague.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipa see on an airmail stamp with a jet flying by the Capital dome that is on the letter the old drunk asks her to mail?
2. Bortz imagines one visionary militant addressing a group of Tristero members in a tavern to propose a merger with official postal couriers. What name does he give to this visionary?
3. Genghis Cohen claims that the stamp, which depicts a Pony Express rider galloping out of a western fort into a black feather, is what?
4. What happens when Oedipa returns to her hotel in Berkeley?
5. Who is Genghis Cohen?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)