|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will Oedipa have revelations about as she completes her task for Pierce Inverarity?
(a) The meaning of life.
(b) Her marriage.
(c) A magical presence.
(d) Life after death.
2. What kind of game does Metzger suggest he and Oedipa play in the motel room at Echo Courts?
(a) A game of Botticelli cards.
(b) A game of poker.
(c) A game of strip poker.
(d) A game of strip Botticelli.
3. When Oedipa questions him about the play, Driblette launches into a diatribe against the obsession with texts, saying people are like __________ making a literal interpretation of the Bible.
4. Who accompanies Oedipa and Metzger to Fangoso Lagoons for the day?
(a) The Paranoids and their girlfriends.
(b) Mike Fallopian and his girlfriend.
(c) Mucho Maas.
(d) Richard Wharfinger.
5. What happens when a heavy, pale young man carrying a mail sack appears in the doorway of the bar where Oedipa and Metzger are talking to Mike Fallopian?
(a) He climbs up on the bar, and starts shooting into the crowd.
(b) He starts an argument with Mike Fallopian.
(c) He climbs up on the bar and starts throwing envelopes into the crowd.
(d) He yells "Fire!" and everyone runs.
6. What does Driblette tell Oedipa he found at Zapf's Used Books?
(a) A copy of the Bible.
(b) An anthology entitled Jacobean Revenge Plays.
(c) A copy of the Trystero.
(d) An anthology entitled Real Revenge Plays.
7. What is the name of Dr. Hilarius' s face number 37, which is the face children often use for taunting?
8. What does San Narciso remind Oedipa of as she views it from a hilltop?
(a) Her hometown of Kinneret.
(b) A circuit card she once saw in a transistor radio.
(c) A postcard of San Francisco.
(d) The song "I Want to Kiss Your Feet."
9. What does Metzger tell Oedipa about Beaconsfield Cigarettes?
(a) Inverarity owned a 51% interest in the tabacco process.
(b) Inverarity owned a 51% interest in the cancer research.
(c) Inverarity owned a 51% interest in the filter process.
(d) Inverarity owned a 51% interest in the filter-free process.
10. What choice does Oedipa make in regard to Dr. Hilarius, even though she recognizes there will never be a way to know if she is cured?
(a) To go on medication.
(b) Not to leave her "shrink ."
(c) To go off the medication.
(d) To find another "shrink."
11. What is on the island in the middle of the artificial lake at Fangoso Lagoons?
(a) A clubhouse.
(b) A European cruise ship.
(c) A skyscraper.
(d) A European pleasure-casino.
12. What happens at the climax of Oedipa and Metzger's intimate relations?
(a) Metzger falls asleep.
(b) The lights go out.
(c) The Parniods sing.
(d) Opedipa has a vision.
13. After thinking about Inverarity for the afternoon in Chapter 1, what does Oedipa suddenly remember?
(a) An urgent phone call from Inverarity asking her for help.
(b) A marriage proposal from Inverarity.
(c) A letter last year from Inverarity.
(d) A three a.m. phone call last year from Inverarity.
14. What was the previous occupation of Mucho Mass?
(a) Radio station disc jockey.
(b) Real estate mogul.
(c) Used car salesman.
15. What is unusual about Beaconsfield Cigarettes?
(a) They use bone charcoal filters.
(b) They won't cause cancer.
(c) They have no filters.
(d) They are made with bone instead of tobacco.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the occupation of Mucho Maas?
2. What does Metzger ask Oedipa to bet on in Chapter 2?
3. What does Oedipa tell Dr. Hilarius that she doesn't trust?
4. Funch, Mucho's boss, accuses him of what in his interactions with people at work?
5. What is the name of the manager of the Echo Courts Motel?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)