1. As the novel begins, Mrs. Oedipa Maas arrives home from where?
(a) A Tupperware party.
(b) A funeral.
(c) A bar.
(d) A psychiatrist appointment.
2. How did Oedipa know Pierce Inverarity?
(a) He was her lawyer.
(b) He was her ex-husband.
(c) He was a former lover.
(d) He was her brother.
3. In a letter from a legal firm, what does Pierce Inverarity request Oedipa do for him?
(a) Be sole proprietor for his business.
(b) Inherit his estate.
(c) Be godmother to his children.
(d) Be executor of his estate.
4. Pierce Inverarity was a _____________?
(a) Used car salesman.
(b) Radio station disc jockey.
(c) Cattle rancher.
(d) Real estate mogul.
5. After receiving Inverarity's letter, which of the following does Oedipa NOT do for the afternoon?
(a) Read book reviews.
(b) Work in her garden.
(c) Mix cocktails.
(d) Call friends.
6. After thinking about Inverarity for the afternoon in Chapter 1, what does Oedipa suddenly remember?
(a) A marriage proposal from Inverarity.
(b) An urgent phone call from Inverarity asking her for help.
(c) A letter last year from Inverarity.
(d) A three a.m. phone call last year from Inverarity.
This section contains 5,231 words
(approx. 18 pages at 300 words per page)