Essay Topic 1
The larger setting of The Crying of Lot 49 is the United States in the era of the counter-culture, the 1960s, when experimentation with psychedelic drugs was rife and identity crises pervasive. The problem the novel presents is the crisis of meaning present in modern life. Choose one of the four ways this theme manifests itself throughout the novel. Discuss it thoroughly with events and characters.
1) Identity crises
2) Relationship and sexuality problems
3) Injustice in the economic system
4) Loss of cultural consensus as to what constitutes truth
Essay Topic 2
Give a definition of allegory and then discuss the allegorical aspects of the setting and characters of The Crying of Lot 49.
Essay Topic 3
Pynchon bases Oedipa Maas on the Greek Myth of Oedipus.
1) Give a synopsis of the Oedipus Myth.
2) Compare the character of Oedipa to that of Oedipus. How are their struggles similar? What larger...
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)