|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What hardship did Absalom’s girl suffer as a child?
(a) Her mother beat her daily.
(b) Her mother was an alcoholic.
(c) Her mother was sent to a mental asylum.
(d) Her mother died when she was a baby.
2. What is Stephen Kumalo’s profession?
(a) He is a reverend.
(b) He is a farmer.
(c) He is a tribal chief.
(d) He is a teacher.
3. Chapter 12 steps out of the main plot to relate snippets of whites reacting to “native crime” via what platform?
(a) Private conversations.
(b) Public meetings.
(c) Newspaper articles.
(d) Radio addresses.
4. How does Kumalo travel to the city?
(a) He travels by train.
(b) He travels by ferry.
(c) He travels by bus.
(d) He travels by plane.
5. Who promises to help Kumalo find his sister and his son?
(a) Mrs. Lithebe.
(d) His brother John.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Absalom’s attitude in jail?
2. Where was the white man murdered?
3. Which of the following reactions are black leaders NOT hoping to elicit from whites with the decrepit conditions of Shanty Town?
4. What is Gertrude’s main emotion when Kumalo discovers how she is living?
5. What tragedy does the black woman suffer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the government like Msimangu as a preacher? How is he like John Kumalo in his oratory?
2. What additional errand does a friend of Kumalo’s ask him to run while he is in the city? How does this reflect the themes of the novel?
3. Explain the irony of the death of Arthur Jarvis at the hands of a black person.
4. How does Kumalo treat the pregnant girl when she reveals she has had two other “husbands,” and why?
5. Describe two sides of the debate that whites have about “native crime” as indicated in the conversations in Chapter 12.
6. What happens to Kumalo as soon as he arrives in Johannesburg? How does this reinforce his feelings about the city?
7. How does Gertrude react to seeing Kumalo in Johannesburg? How does she feel about her own behavior, and the prospect of returning to Ndotsheni?
8. What unofficial title do most members of Ndotsheni bestow on Kumalo’s wife, and what does it signify?
9. Explain why the lawyer, Mr. Carmichael, takes Absalom’s case without payment.
10. Describe the reaction of the pregnant girl to the prospect of living in Ndotsheni. Why does she react this way?
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)