|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word best describes the relationship between James and Arthur Jarvis?
2. What other action does Absalom claim he took after ridding himself of the weapon?
(a) He prayed for forgiveness.
(b) He encouraged his accomplices to turn themselves in with him.
(c) He planned to run away from Johannesburg.
(d) He returned to the Jarvis house to try to revive Arthur.
3. As James reads Arthur’s papers, what claim does his son make that offends him?
(a) Arthur claims James was a virulent racist.
(b) Arthur claims James cared more about money than people.
(c) Arthur claims James was a superficial and unbelieving Christian.
(d) Arthur claims James never taught him a sense of national identity and social responsibility.
4. What word does Kumalo use to describe a quality about Arthur to James?
(a) A “brightness.”
(b) A “sunniness.”
(c) A “lightness.”
(d) A “shine.”
5. Which of the following is NOT a reason Arthur mentions in his paper that whites need to take responsibility for helping blacks?
(a) Because whites have actively suppressed the education of blacks out of fear.
(b) Because of blacks’ inferior intelligence and inability to help themselves.
(c) Because whites destroyed blacks’ tribal life in the first place.
(d) Because people who consider themselves Christians should not subjugate others in the name of God’s will.
6. What do Ndotsheni’s children lack which is causing them to die in greater than average numbers?
(a) Malaria medicine.
(c) Vitamin C.
(d) Clean water.
7. What does James have a hard time looking at each day upon entering Arthur’s house?
(a) An unfinished letter Arthur had started to his father.
(b) The bloodstain on the floor where Arthur died.
(c) A portrait of Arthur hanging in the parlor.
(d) A cigar left half-smoked in an ashtray on Arthur’s desk.
8. Who sends and puts Kumalo in charge of distributing resources for the village children?
(a) James Jarvis.
(c) The tribe’s chief.
(d) John Kumalo.
9. Which sacrament is performed immediately following the sentencing in the prison?
(a) Last Rites.
10. Who does Absalom claim planned the time and place for the house break?
(a) Johannes Pafuri.
(b) Matthew Kumalo.
(c) Absalom himself.
(d) Richard Mpiring.
11. Before the murderer is caught, who is suspected of the crime of killing Arthur?
(a) Someone on the orders of Dubula and John Kumalo.
(b) A racist white who dislikes Arthur’s agitation for black rights.
(c) Someone who committed the murder in a random act of gang violence.
(d) Someone who was once an employee of Arthur’s.
12. What option does Kumalo briefly consider upon returning home due to his shame regarding his family’s behavior?
(a) He considers resigning from the priesthood.
(b) He considers leaving Ndotsheni forever.
(c) None of the above.
(d) He considers asking the Bishop to replace him as the Ndotsheni priest.
13. What ceremony does the Bishop come to Ndotsheni to celebrate?
(a) A confirmation.
(b) A planting/fertility ritual.
(c) A wedding.
(d) A funeral.
14. What word for God does Kumalo use when praying?
15. Who does James Jarvis surprise with a large financial donation to further the cause of blacks?
(b) John Harrison, Jr.
(c) Stephen Kumalo.
(d) John Kumalo.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Arthur and Margaret visit as a brief respite from the trial?
2. Which of the following best describes James’ attitude towards blacks before reading Arthur’s papers?
3. Which adjectives does Mrs. Lithebe use to describe the people she thinks Gertrude should not spend time with?
4. What American president did Arthur Jarvis greatly admire?
5. Which statement best describes John Harrison Sr. and Jr.’s relationship with blacks’ rights?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)