|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapters 4-7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Kumalo put his energy immediately upon returning from Johannesburg?
(a) He starts a letter-writing campaign for Absalom to avoid the death penalty.
(b) He throws himself into rebuilding his church.
(c) He isolates himself with his family to bond them into a unit.
(d) He talks to community leaders about how to rejuvenate the tribe’s agriculture.
2. Which of the following does John Harrison, Sr. hope will happen when the murderer is caught?
(a) He hopes he is jailed for life without parole.
(b) He hopes he is sent to a religious reformatory for rehabilitation.
(c) He hopes he is executed.
(d) He hopes he is sent to a forced labor camp in the mines.
3. What is the agricultural demonstrator’s attitude toward white people?
(a) He is grateful for their assistance in lifting blacks up.
(b) He wishes they would give blacks their own nation and leave them alone.
(c) He is bitter that blacks must rely on whites for assistance when whites suppressed them in the first place.
(d) He sympathizes with the fear whites have built for themselves and hopes to work directly with them toward better racial understanding.
4. What is John Kumalo’s profession?
(a) He is a mine worker.
(b) He is a liquor bootlegger.
(c) He is a preacher.
(d) He is a carpenter.
5. Which character is angriest that Absalom has disappeared?
(b) The girl.
(c) The reformatory worker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Kumalo use to describe a quality about Arthur to James?
2. Which adjectives does Mrs. Lithebe use to describe the people she thinks Gertrude should not spend time with?
3. How does Absalom’s girl react when Kumalo tells her she will have to leave Johannesburg if she marries Absalom?
4. What building does Jarvis’ wife want to finance for Ndotsheni?
5. What neighborhood did the murdered white man live in?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)