|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event occurs a few days before Absalom’s sentencing which foreshadows he is unlikely to get judicial leniency?
(a) Another white man is murdered during a house burglary by blacks.
(b) A new law is approved which requires the death penalty for all murderers.
(c) A white police officer is killed during a mining strike.
(d) A massive plot by a black gang to rob prominent white merchants is preempted by police.
2. Where does Kumalo put his energy immediately upon returning from Johannesburg?
(a) He isolates himself with his family to bond them into a unit.
(b) He starts a letter-writing campaign for Absalom to avoid the death penalty.
(c) He throws himself into rebuilding his church.
(d) He talks to community leaders about how to rejuvenate the tribe’s agriculture.
3. What neighborhood is Gertrude living in?
4. What natural phenomenon is afflicting Umzimkulu valley when Kumalo returns home?
(a) Forest fires.
5. How many children did Arthur Jarvis have?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kumalo travel to the city?
2. Where was the white man murdered?
3. What good news does the group at Mrs. Lithebe’s house celebrate on the night before Kumalo et al. leave for Ndotsheni?
4. What neighborhood did the murdered white man live in?
5. What do Ndotsheni’s children lack which is causing them to die in greater than average numbers?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)