|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Absalom do with the revolver after the murder?
(a) He buried it in a plantation.
(b) He threw it in a river.
(c) He sold it.
(d) He hid it at the home of a friend.
2. Kumalo gets a packet of mail all at once. Which character does NOT send him a letter?
(b) Mr. Carmichael.
3. What year does the novel take place?
4. Which of the following best describes John’s relationship with his own son?
(a) They are close and John’s son still lives with John.
(b) John has fully disinherited his son in order to give more to his younger children.
(c) Since John’s son got married, they rarely see each other.
(d) They are estranged because John’s son is friends with criminals.
5. What was the name of the paper Arthur Jarvis was writing about justice for blacks?
(a) “The Truth About Native Crime.”
(b) “A Modern Emancipation Proclamation.”
(c) “Don’t Blame the Natives.”
(d) “Equality and Justice for All.”
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes James’ attitude towards blacks before reading Arthur’s papers?
2. What made-up story does Kumalo tell his brother during their last meeting out of spite?
3. What American president did Arthur Jarvis greatly admire?
4. How do villagers respond to Kumalo’s return?
5. How does Absalom’s girl react when Kumalo tells her she will have to leave Johannesburg if she marries Absalom?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)