|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gesture of respect does Arthur Jarvis’ son show Kumalo because he does not know any better about his implied superiority?
(a) He bows to Kumalo.
(b) He genuflects before Kumalo.
(c) He shakes Kumalo’s hand.
(d) He doffs his hat to Kumalo.
2. Why does Kumalo also appear at the same house that Arther and Margaret are visiting as a respite from the trail?
(a) Because he noticed Jarvis at the trial and wants to apologize to him.
(b) Because he wants to beg the Jarvises not to seek the death penalty against his son.
(c) Because he was sent on an errand by Father Vincent.
(d) Because he is looking for a villager who supposedly lives there.
3. What sentence does the Judge give to Absalom?
(a) Death by firing squad.
(b) Death by electric chair.
(c) Death by hanging.
(d) Death by lethal injection.
4. What is the phrase used to describe why the lawyer takes the case without payment?
(a) Carpe diem.
(b) E. pluribus unum.
(c) Pro deo.
(d) Habeas corpus.
5. What does Kumalo harshly criticize his son for doing before the crime was committed?
(a) He criticizes him for keeping company with “friends” he knew were not trustworthy.
(b) He criticizes him for leaving the village in the first place.
(c) He criticizes him for getting a young girl pregnant.
(d) He criticizes him for failing to find Gertrude like he was supposed to.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made-up story does Kumalo tell his brother during their last meeting out of spite?
2. Who apologizes to Kumalo for behaving badly towards him and refusing to help him get a lawyer for Absalom?
3. Who does James Jarvis surprise with a large financial donation to further the cause of blacks?
4. Which of the following is NOT something Kumalo and his wife were saving money for?
5. What is James Jarvis’ main concern before learning of his son’s death?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)