|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives best described Mox at the time when he was hired by the Owens?
2. How long were the Union Carbide reps in the Owens' camp before they returned to their headquarters?
3. What state was the Owens' campsite in when they returned to it?
4. According to the Owens' research, why do hyenas live in packs?
5. In which of the following hotels did the Owens share lunch with Mr. Van der Westhuizen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Delia interact with Star's pups during her research period for her PhD?
2. How do lions communicate?
3. How did the Owens find out that Mox had quit his position as their assistant?
4. Who eats first in a pride of lions?
5. Why did the Owens find it necessary to tag the gang of brown hyenas that lived near their camp?
6. How did the airplane help improve Mark and Delia's research of the lions in the Kalahari?
7. What condition was Blue in at the time when the Owens first found her?
8. How did the wildebeest react to the fence that had been constructed by the local farmers to protect their livestock?
9. How did Muffin die?
10. Why were the Owens surprised when the Blue Pride accepted Happy as one of their own?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mark and Delia Owens were a formidable couple from the moment they first met. First, describe how Mark and Delia first met. What drew the pair of them together? How did they know they would be a good match for each other? Then, choose at least one example from the Owens' early history together and describe how this incident showcases the Owens' desire to change the world, regardless of how well-accepted their decision might be. How did this early decision eventually lead to the couple's move to the Kalahari? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
After Star's death, the Owens learned a lot about brown hyenas and their relationship within a gang. First, describe what the general idea of hyena social life was before the Owens arrived in the Kalahari. How did this perception of hyena behavior change due to the research the Owens conduced? Finally, explain how Star's death permanently altered the way the Owens and the rest of the scientific community viewed the sociability of brown hyenas. Be sure to include examples from your text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Because the Owens spent such a large chunk of time living in the Kalahari, their relationship and personal lives were greatly affected by their time there. First, describe the Owens' relationship when they first arrived in the Kalahari. Compare / contrast it to their relationship when they left the Kalahari for the last time. What events do you think were most integral in shaping their relationship? Describe what life was like for the Owens in the weeks and months after their return to the United States. Do you think the Owens regretted their time in the Desert? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)