|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following groups of lions are typically responsible for hunting in a pride?
2. After she was in the hospital, how long did Delia spend in the States?
3. What direction do wildebeest instinctively head toward for water?
4. Which of the following body parts is NOT used when lions communicate with each other?
5. How did the Owens react when Mr. Van der Westhuizen offered them this amount of money for their research?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Star die?
2. How had the political landscape in Botswana changed during the four weeks the Owens spent visiting family in the States?
3. How did Delia interact with Star's pups during her research period for her PhD?
4. What was Mark's first reaction to the wildebeest migration when he saw it?
5. What scientific visitors did the Owens receive at their camp during the dry season of 1979?
6. What was Satan, and how did he die?
7. What was the Owens' reaction to the scientific visitors in their camp during the dry season of 1979?
8. Who was Mr. Van der Westhuizen?
9. How did Muffin die?
10. Who eats first in a pride of lions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Owens' camp site was a constant stream of wild animals coming to visit, and the Owens readily formed bonds with each of the animals they met. Choose two of the smaller animals that held a special place in the heart of the Owens. How did the Owens come into contact with these small animals? How did the Owens help improve the lives of these animals? How did these animals help improve the lives of the Owens? What was the outcome of the relationship between these animals and the Owens? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
One of the most emotionally scarring incidents for Mark to witness was the wildebeest migration in 1979. First, describe Mark's initial reaction to the wildebeest migration. What did he learn about the animals through observing their migration? Then, describe the problems that arose for the wildebeest during their migration. How many died in the process of reaching water? Finally, explain what measures Mark Owens took after witnessing the migration to ensure a better habitat for this group of animals. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
While they were on the airplane relocating to Botswana, Mark had a very vivid and very disturbing dream. First, describe the dream that Mark had on the airplane. What was significant about this dream? What was Mark's initial reaction to the dream? Then, explain the symbolism that could be found in Mark's dream. Why was it significant that Mark had this dream before his first move to Africa? Finally, explain whether or not the dream was an omen of things to come and why. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)