|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following groups of lions are typically responsible for hunting in a pride?
2. In what month does the rainy season typically start in the Kalahari?
3. What was the name of the cottage owned by Dolene and Simon Paul?
4. According to the theory of "survival of the fittest," what is most important to gene preservation?
5. How many miles was Mark supposed to put in before earning the license that would allow him to fly solo over the Kalahari?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who eats first in a pride of lions?
2. Who were Wes and Anne?
3. Who was Mr. Van der Westhuizen?
4. How many wildebeest died during their migration, and how?
5. How did the Owens find out that Mox had quit his position as their assistant?
6. What condition was Blue in at the time when the Owens first found her?
7. What state was Bones in when the Owens first found him?
8. Why did the Owens particularly enjoy their stay at the Buffalo Cottage?
9. Why did the Owens decide to tag the large pack of brown hyenas near their camp?
10. How did Delia interact with Star's pups during her research period for her PhD?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the Owens first chose the Kalahari as their research site, they were immediately presented with major problems that threatened the success of their research. Choose two of the major problems that the Owens faced within the first month of moving to the Kalahari. How did each of these problems arise? What was the Owens' reaction to each of these problems? Do you think these were overreactions given the situations or under reactions? How can you tell? Finally, describe how each of these problems were solved so that the Owens were able to stay and research in the Kalahari.
Essay Topic 2
During the hot, dry season, life on the Kalahari changes greatly, particularly for the Blue Pride of lions. First, describe the setting of the Kalahari during the hot, dry season. How does life in the Kalahari during the dry season compare / contrast to life on the Kalahari during the wet season? Then, describe the ways the lions alter their hunting, feeding, and living styles during the dry season. In what ways do the lions preserve their pride even when water and food is in low supply? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Mox was the man hired by the Owens to work as a research assistant while they stayed in the Kalahari. First,describe Mox's personality. How did he find out about the job in the Kalahari, and why do you think the Owens hired him? Then. explain the ways Mox adjusted to life in camp. What was the same about his life in camp and his life back in the village? What was different? Why do you think Mox chose a line of work that took him so far away from his family and friends? Finally, describe how Mox left his employment with the Owens and describe how the Owens found out about his departure. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)