|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of animal was Chief?
2. How large was the lioness that crept up to Mark's bed in the middle of the night?
3. In what type of landscape did Star live?
4. What was the name of the one male lion in the pride the Owens studied?
5. Which of the following was NOT a name of one of the lions in the pride the Owens studied?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the memoir "Cry of the Kalahari" open?
2. How did Captain hunt for rats?
3. How did the Owens react the first time they saw the brown hyenas playing together?
4. What was the Valley of Deception?
5. What was the Owens' initial reaction to their first wildfire in the Kalahari?
6. Where did Mark and Delia Owens first meet?
7. How did Mark and Delia raise enough money to move to Africa while they were still students?
8. How did the Owens first learn to identify animals in the night?
9. How did Lionel Palmer help the Owens settle in Botswana upon their arrival?
10. Why did Mark leave Delia alone in the camp for three days while he traveled to Maun?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout their time in the Kalahari, the Owens had a great amount of time to study the mothering habits of the various animals that lived in the desert. Choose two of the animal species that the Owens studied and describe their mothering habits. Based on the research conduced by the Owens, would you say these animal species were "good" mothers? Why or why not? How did the Owens' research on these specific species of animals affect the way the scientific world viewed mothering from a zoological stand point? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
During their time in the Kalahari, the Owens helped support many new laws and ordinances that would help protect the animals in the desert. First, choose one problem that arose while the Owens were living in the Kalahari and explain their reaction to this problem. How did the Owens lobby and convince the government to address this problem? Were they successful? Why or why not? How did the Owens affect the laws regarding this issue for future generations? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
While the Owens were living in camp, they had many close calls with the lion pride that lived closest to them. On a daily basis, what was the relationship like between the Owens and the lions that shared the land? In your opinion, which situation between the lions and the Owens seemed the most dangerous? How can you tell? How did the Owens get out of this and other serious situations with the lions? At the end of the day, do you think the Owens were too naive about the animals they were researching? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)