|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of animal did Delia mistake for a rat in her sleeping bag?
2. How close did Star get to Delia's face when she sniffed her for the first time?
3. Where did Mark and Delia sleep when they were studying lions in the Kalahari?
4. Which of the following items did Norbert Drager regularly bring to the Owens in their camp?
5. What was the typical temperature during the day in the Kalahari in the month of July?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Owens' initial reaction to their first wildfire in the Kalahari?
2. How did the Owens react the first time they saw the brown hyenas playing together?
3. What did Mark dream about on the plane ride to Botswana?
4. How did the Owens first learn to identify animals in the night?
5. How did Delia spend her days during the time that Mark left her alone in camp while he traveled to Maun?
6. What was the Owens' reaction to the news that Bergie Berghoffer had died?
7. Where did Mark and Delia Owens first meet?
8. How did life in the Owens' camp improve after Lionel Palmer came to visit?
9. What was the Valley of Deception?
10. Who was Moose, and what type of relationship did he have with Delia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout their time in the Kalahari, the Owens had a great amount of time to study the mothering habits of the various animals that lived in the desert. Choose two of the animal species that the Owens studied and describe their mothering habits. Based on the research conduced by the Owens, would you say these animal species were "good" mothers? Why or why not? How did the Owens' research on these specific species of animals affect the way the scientific world viewed mothering from a zoological stand point? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
There were many injured and sick lions that the Owens attempted to help during their time in the Kalahari. First, choose one "success" story and describe how the Owens improved the life of one lion that surely would have died without the Owens' intervention. Then, compare / contrast that story to one that was NOT successful. What was the outcome of the Owens' meddling in the second case? Then, explain whether or not you think the Owens' time in the Kalahari was beneficial to the animals there, or if the Owens put their own needs first. Explain why. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The Owens' research was largely dependent on grant money they received, both personal and private. Choose two of the grants the Owens were awarded during their time in the Kalahari and describe them now. What hopes did the granting organizations place in the Owens' work in the Kalahari? Then, explain what the Owens did with each of these sums of money. In your opinion, were the funds used appropriately? Why or why not? BE sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)