|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color was Bergie Berghoffer's truck?
2. What was the name of the one male lion in the pride the Owens studied?
3. Which of the following food supplies was NOT purchased by the Owens when they first arrived in Maun?
4. Which of the following animals did the Owens never meet face to face in their beds?
5. The favorite food of Laramie, the lizard, was _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What news did Norbert Drager bring to the Owens when he visited them for the first time?
2. Who was Moose, and what type of relationship did he have with Delia?
3. What was the Valley of Deception?
4. How did the Owens celebrate their first Christmas in the Kalahari?
5. How do hyenas communicate with one another?
6. What type of weather seasons occur in a typical year in the Kalahari?
7. How did the Owens first learn to identify animals in the night?
8. How did the Owens discover that Star was the dominant hyena in her pack?
9. How did Lionel Palmer help the Owens settle in Botswana upon their arrival?
10. How does the memoir "Cry of the Kalahari" open?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While they were on the airplane relocating to Botswana, Mark had a very vivid and very disturbing dream. First, describe the dream that Mark had on the airplane. What was significant about this dream? What was Mark's initial reaction to the dream? Then, explain the symbolism that could be found in Mark's dream. Why was it significant that Mark had this dream before his first move to Africa? Finally, explain whether or not the dream was an omen of things to come and why. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Because the Owens spent such a large chunk of time living in the Kalahari, their relationship and personal lives were greatly affected by their time there. First, describe the Owens' relationship when they first arrived in the Kalahari. Compare / contrast it to their relationship when they left the Kalahari for the last time. What events do you think were most integral in shaping their relationship? Describe what life was like for the Owens in the weeks and months after their return to the United States. Do you think the Owens regretted their time in the Desert? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Mark and Delia Owens were a formidable couple from the moment they first met. First, describe how Mark and Delia first met. What drew the pair of them together? How did they know they would be a good match for each other? Then, choose at least one example from the Owens' early history together and describe how this incident showcases the Owens' desire to change the world, regardless of how well-accepted their decision might be. How did this early decision eventually lead to the couple's move to the Kalahari? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)