|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following seasons is NOT one of the three main seasons in the Kalahari?
2. How did the Owens react to the news that Bergie Berghoffer was dead?
3. To what animal did the green, slanted eyes in the dark night belong?
4. Before falling asleep on the first night in the prologue, what direction did Mark and Delia drive to get closer to the lions through the valley?
5. Which part of the Owens' bodies was blistered after battling the fire near their tent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mark dream about on the plane ride to Botswana?
2. What was the Owens' initial reaction to their first wildfire in the Kalahari?
3. What type of weather seasons occur in a typical year in the Kalahari?
4. How did the Owens stop the fire from reaching their tent?
5. Who was Bergie Berghoffer?
6. What news did Norbert Drager bring to the Owens when he visited them for the first time?
7. How did life in the Owens' camp improve after Lionel Palmer came to visit?
8. How did Star typically feed?
9. How did Mark and Delia raise enough money to move to Africa while they were still students?
10. How was the wildfire quenched?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Owens' camp site was a constant stream of wild animals coming to visit, and the Owens readily formed bonds with each of the animals they met. Choose two of the smaller animals that held a special place in the heart of the Owens. How did the Owens come into contact with these small animals? How did the Owens help improve the lives of these animals? How did these animals help improve the lives of the Owens? What was the outcome of the relationship between these animals and the Owens? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Mark and Delia Owens were a formidable couple from the moment they first met. First, describe how Mark and Delia first met. What drew the pair of them together? How did they know they would be a good match for each other? Then, choose at least one example from the Owens' early history together and describe how this incident showcases the Owens' desire to change the world, regardless of how well-accepted their decision might be. How did this early decision eventually lead to the couple's move to the Kalahari? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The Owens' research was largely dependent on grant money they received, both personal and private. Choose two of the grants the Owens were awarded during their time in the Kalahari and describe them now. What hopes did the granting organizations place in the Owens' work in the Kalahari? Then, explain what the Owens did with each of these sums of money. In your opinion, were the funds used appropriately? Why or why not? BE sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)