|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many lionesses, in total, were part of the pride that crept up to Mark's bed at night?
(a) Fifteen lionesses.
(b) Nine lionesses.
(c) Thirteen lionesses.
(d) Eleven lionesses.
2. What type of animal did Delia mistake for a rat in her sleeping bag?
(a) A mongoose.
(b) A rabbit.
(c) A squirrel.
(d) A hedgehog.
3. What type of animal did Captain hunt for in a way that was most fascinating to Mark and his research?
(a) A fish.
(b) A gazelle.
(c) A rat.
(d) A bird.
4. How did the Owens react to the news that Bergie Berghoffer was dead?
(a) They decided to take three months off to attend his funeral.
(b) They decided to go back home.
(c) They did not react to the news.
(d) They decided to keep working in his honor.
5. Which of the following was NOT a name of one of the lions in the pride the Owens studied?
Short Answer Questions
1. How do subordinate hyenas show respect to dominant hyenas?
2. What did Begie Berghoffer tell the Owens was the only thing they should fear in the Kalahari?
3. What was the name of the dominant hyena in Star's pack?
4. In what year did Mark and Delia decide to hire an assistant?
5. How much money did the Owens bring with them from the States when they moved to Botswana?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the wildfire quenched?
2. What was weather like for the Owens during their first summer in the Kalahari?
3. How did life in the Owens' camp improve after Lionel Palmer came to visit?
4. How did Lionel Palmer help the Owens settle in Botswana upon their arrival?
5. Why did Mark leave Delia alone in the camp for three days while he traveled to Maun?
6. Who was Bergie Berghoffer?
7. What news did Norbert Drager bring to the Owens when he visited them for the first time?
8. How did the Owens lose their first water supply after moving to their camp?
9. What was the Valley of Deception?
10. What was the Owens' initial reaction to their first wildfire in the Kalahari?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)