|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of animal did Delia mistake for a rat in her sleeping bag?
(a) A mongoose.
(b) A squirrel.
(c) A hedgehog.
(d) A rabbit.
2. How do subordinate hyenas show respect to dominant hyenas?
(a) They whimper.
(b) They scratch behind their ears.
(c) They crawl on their belly.
(d) They howl.
3. What did the Owens name Captain's mate?
(b) Second Captain.
4. What did the Owens name the hyena with a white patch on her forehead?
5. Which of the following landmarks is NOT one the Owens name during their first days in the Kalahari?
(a) Bat Bush.
(b) Acacia Point.
(c) Tree Island.
(d) Turtle River.
6. How wide was the fire that swept through the Kalahari during the month of July?
(a) 40 miles wide.
(b) 30 miles wide.
(c) 50 miles wide.
(d) 20 miles wide.
7. What was the typical temperature during the day in the Kalahari in the month of July?
(a) 110 degrees.
(b) 90 degrees.
(c) 50 degrees.
(d) 70 degrees.
8. Where was Mark when he had his dream about the graceful cheetah?
(a) In his car.
(b) In his bed.
(c) In an airplace.
(d) In his swimming pool.
9. On the day she was surrounded by lions, where was Delia going to hide before Mark came to her rescue and scared the lions away?
(a) In a trunk.
(b) In a tree.
(c) In her sleeping bag.
(d) In her car.
10. How are Mark and Delia related?
(a) They are brother and sister.
(b) They are not related.
(c) They are married.
(d) They are father and daughter.
11. How close did Star get to Delia's face when she sniffed her for the first time?
(a) Star never came close to Delia's face.
(b) Twelve inches.
(c) Six inches.
(d) Two inches.
12. In which African country is the Kalahari Desert located?
13. What type of animal did Captain hunt for in a way that was most fascinating to Mark and his research?
(a) A bird.
(b) A gazelle.
(c) A rat.
(d) A fish.
14. In Mark's dream. what caused the cheetah to split in half?
(a) A sword.
(b) A rope trap.
(c) A fence.
(d) A bullet wound.
15. How long did the fire in the Kalahari last before rains quenched it?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) One week.
(d) Four weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Mark and Delia stop the fire from reaching their tent?
2. How much money did the Owens bring with them from the States when they moved to Botswana?
3. What was the typical temperature at night during the month of July?
4. How long did it typically take Mark to purchase supplies in Maun?
5. Where do hyenas bite each other when they are playing?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)