|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are Mark and Delia related?
(a) They are not related.
(b) They are father and daughter.
(c) They are brother and sister.
(d) They are married.
2. Which of the following seasons is NOT one of the three main seasons in the Kalahari?
(a) The rainy season.
(b) The windy season.
(c) The hot season.
(d) The cold season
3. Who was President when the Owens first moved to the Kalahari?
4. Which of the following was NOT a name of one of the lions in the pride the Owens studied?
5. Before falling asleep on the first night in the prologue, what direction did Mark and Delia drive to get closer to the lions through the valley?
6. Where did Mark and Delia sleep when they were studying lions in the Kalahari?
(a) In their car.
(b) In sleeping bags, under the stars.
(c) In a motel.
(d) In a safari truck.
7. What organization did Bergie Berghoffer work for?
(a) The National Geographic.
(b) The Frankfurt Zoogical Society.
(c) The Botswana Department of Surveys and Lands.
(d) The African Department of Animal Preservation.
8. How do subordinate hyenas show respect to dominant hyenas?
(a) They howl.
(b) They whimper.
(c) They crawl on their belly.
(d) They scratch behind their ears.
9. On the day Mark immobilized his first jackal, how many lions surrounded the jackal while it slept?
10. How much money did the Owens bring with them from the States when they moved to Botswana?
11. What did Begie Berghoffer tell the Owens was the only thing they should fear in the Kalahari?
12. What was the typical temperature during the day in the Kalahari in the month of July?
(a) 90 degrees.
(b) 110 degrees.
(c) 50 degrees.
(d) 70 degrees.
13. Which of the following items did Bergie Berghoffer bring to the Owens, convincing them to stay in the Kalahari?
(a) A canteen.
(b) A mosquito net.
(c) A tent.
(d) A truck.
14. What acted as an alarm when a poisonous snake came near the camp?
(a) The birds.
(b) The lions.
(c) The leaves.
(d) The monkeys.
15. How did the Owens celebrate their first Christmas in the Kalahari?
(a) By having a roast chicken dinner.
(b) By exchanging gifts.
(c) All of the above.
(d) By decorating a Christmas Tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the fire, what did the Owens cough up for days?
2. Who loaned the Owens their trailer?
3. How did Bergie Berghoffer die?
4. What was the typical temperature at night during the month of July?
5. What color is the substance excreted from a hyena's scent glands?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)