|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who collects the evidence needed from Robyn's house?
2. Initially, how does Scarpetta respond to the request to look at her records?
3. What was found in the envelope in Susan's home?
4. Why does Scarpetta block the light from coming into Robyn's house?
5. What triggers Scarpetta into thinking that Sullivan might be lying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What act of kindness does Charlie Hale do for Scarpetta?
2. What question does Grueman have about Scarpetta's finances?
3. Why is Benton concerned for Scarpetta's safety?
4. What does the bird expert say about the feathers found at every crime scene?
5. What does Scarpetta suspect about the briefcase Jennifer's ex-husband gives her?
6. Why does Jennifer's ex-husband like Scarpetta so much?
7. Why does Waddell's decision to give up appealing his case surprise Scarpetta?
8. What causes Benton and Scarpetta to wonder if Eddie Heath's and Robyn's murders are related?
9. What does Susan's husband tell the newspapers about Scarpetta?
10. What act of kindness does Scarpetta do for Charlie Hale?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Cornwell using "Cruel and Unusual" as a means for making a commentary on the death penalty? If so, what is her message, and what 3 literary devices does she use to convey her opinion on the issue?
Essay Topic 2
Some critics have noted that Benton Wesley is a boring character. Write a well-written argument that discusses whether or not this is a fair criticism. Use specific evidence from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Describe at least 4 ways that the novel is changed ,either positively or negatively, by having detailed cooking scenes with Scarpetta. Use specific examples from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)