|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Benton recommend for Scarpetta to hire as a lawyer?
2. What did Susan come into right before she died?
3. Who is Benton Wesley?
4. Who requests to see Scarpetta's guns?
5. Where does Scarpetta find the evidence she is looking for in Robyn's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarpetta suspect about the briefcase Jennifer's ex-husband gives her?
2. Why does Scarpetta head to Robyn's old house to get fingerprints?
3. Over dinner at the ski lodge, what do Benton and Scarpetta decide is an unlikely hypothesis of Waddell?
4. Why do Benton and Scarpetta rearrange the furniture in Robyn's old house?
5. What causes Benton and Scarpetta to wonder if Eddie Heath's and Robyn's murders are related?
6. Why does Jennifer's ex-husband like Scarpetta so much?
7. What question does Grueman have about Scarpetta's finances?
8. How does the press know about Scarpetta's meeting with the governor?
9. What act of kindness does Charlie Hale do for Scarpetta?
10. What does Susan's husband tell the newspapers about Scarpetta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Present a well-reasoned paper arguing whether the reader is supposed to find Lucy a likable (intelligent, funky young adult) character OR an unlikable (spoiled, bratty, obnoxious teenager) character. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Given what you know about Scarpetta's character, address why she is so hesitant to discuss the money she took out of her account to help the Hales. Make sure to discuss at least 3 specific events or decisions in the novel that help develop the reader's awareness of Scarpetta's personality that lead her to not be open about her offer to the Hales.
Essay Topic 3
The only married character in "Cruel and Unusual" is Benton Wesley, and his wife is rarely seen in the story. Discuss why Cornwell chooses to have no strong example of a loving, healthy marriage for any of the characters in "Cruel and Unusual."
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)