|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Scarpetta think Sullivan might have reported the robbery of his apartment?
2. Why does Scarpetta search Ben Stevens's office?
3. According to the bird expert, what are the mysterious feathers?
4. Where is Benton vacationing over the holidays?
5. What does Scarpetta find in Susan's office after her death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Scarpetta explain away the incriminating evidence found in Susan's home?
2. What question does Grueman have about Scarpetta's finances?
3. Why isn't anyone able to get fingerprints from Waddell?
4. What does Grueman confess about why he was so hard on Scarpetta in law school?
5. What does Scarpetta suspect about the briefcase Jennifer's ex-husband gives her?
6. What causes the governor to resign?
7. Why does Waddell's decision to give up appealing his case surprise Scarpetta?
8. What does Susan's husband tell the newspapers about Scarpetta?
9. Why does Benton not believe that Waddell would be capable of the recent murders?
10. Why is Benton concerned for Scarpetta's safety?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe at least 4 ways that the novel is changed ,either positively or negatively, by having detailed cooking scenes with Scarpetta. Use specific examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least 4 ways "Cruel and Unusual" would be different if it were to take place in a very rural setting.
Essay Topic 3
Describe at least 4 negative aspects of having a protagonist as strong as Dr. Scarpetta. Make sure to use evidence from the novel to support your position.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)