|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Grimes by the end of the novel?
2. While talking to Grimes in the doorway, Scarpetta thinks that she sees ____________________.
3. What does Scarpetta arrange for Lucy to do during Lucy's visit with Benton?
4. What does Benton offer Lucy?
5. What does Benton do in response to Scarpetta's request to put an article in the paper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Grueman confess about why he was so hard on Scarpetta in law school?
2. What causes the governor to resign?
3. How does Scarpetta know that the killer only had access to crime scene pictures, not the crime scene itself, of Robyn's murder?
4. What personal advice does Marino give Scarpetta over lunch once rumors surrounding Susan's death have hit the papers?
5. Why does Waddell's decision to give up appealing his case surprise Scarpetta?
6. What does Susan's husband tell the newspapers about Scarpetta?
7. Over dinner at the ski lodge, what do Benton and Scarpetta decide is an unlikely hypothesis of Waddell?
8. What act of kindness does Scarpetta do for Charlie Hale?
9. Why does Benton not believe that Waddell would be capable of the recent murders?
10. What helps Scarpetta recognize Sullivan as the same person she saw in Grimes's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe at least 4 negative aspects of having a protagonist as strong as Dr. Scarpetta. Make sure to use evidence from the novel to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Some fans of the Scarpetta series have been disappointed in later books in the series. They believe that Cornwell has drifted away from what makes Scarpetta so appealing in the first place. Discuss the 3 most appealing aspects of Scarpetta's character. How does Cornwell convey those characteristics to the audience so that the reader is drawn into the book/series?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast 2 female characters from "Cruel and Unusual" (like Lucy and Scarpetta or Susan and Scarpetta).
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)