|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two women does Tituba say she saw with the devil?
2. Where does this play take place?
3. When Parris and Abigail argue about her time at the Proctor house, she accuses Parris of something. What is it?
4. What does Abigail tell Parris that she and the girls where doing in the woods?
5. What does Abigail say is wrong with Betty, when explaining her own actions to Parris?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might John Proctor not attend Parris' sermons?
2. Is Parris's main concern only for his daughter's health?
3. Where is Betty's mother in Act 1?
4. Why might Mr. Putnam be suspicious of Sarah Good?
5. Abigail and Parris are both concerned about their "reputation" in Salem. Why?
6. There is a disagreement about the kettle in the forest. Who disagrees and what about?
7. Why is Rebecca Nurse able to calm Betty?
8. Why does Abigail threaten Betty and Tituba with death?
9. Rebecca suggests that they put their faith in "God and the doctor." Why is this an ironic statement?
10. According to whom would Betty's scream be evidence of witchcraft and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In America, we speak highly of a separation of church and state. Was this separation made in these trials? Is this lack of separation still a problem in this country? Choose specific examples to support all claims.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one character from the play. To what extent does selfishness lead this character through the play? Does this self-focus serve as an advantage or a disadvantage to that character? How do the other characters view this selfish behavior? What is Miller trying to tell the reader by using the theme of selfishness with this character? Use specific examples to support all claims.
Essay Topic 3
Some compare the witch hunts of Salem to the McCarthy trials in the '50s. Has this type of hysteria happened again since? Could it happen in the future? Provide specific examples and support for all claims.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)