|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the girls list the other names of people they've seen with the devil, what does Hale do?
2. Which two women does Tituba say she saw with the devil?
3. What does Rebecca Nurse say say is afflicting Ruth and Betty?
4. When Parris and Abigail argue about her time at the Proctor house, she accuses Parris of something. What is it?
5. Who believes Ruth's condition is the work of Satan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might John Proctor not attend Parris' sermons?
2. What did the government do twenty years after the trials?
3. Why does Abigail dislike Elizabeth Proctor so much?
4. According to whom would Betty's scream be evidence of witchcraft and why?
5. Is Parris's main concern only for his daughter's health?
6. What is Giles' wife accused of when she is arrested for witchcraft?
7. Rebecca Nurse makes a snide comment to Mrs. Putnam before she leaves Parris' home to go home. What is it and what is she implying?
8. Where is Betty's mother in Act 1?
9. Giles thinks Mr. Putnam has other motives for suggesting witchcraft. What does Giles accuse Mr. Putnam of?
10. Why is John Proctor arrested at the end of Act 3?
Essay Topic 1
Some compare the witch hunts of Salem to the McCarthy trials in the '50s. Has this type of hysteria happened again since? Could it happen in the future? Provide specific examples and support for all claims.
Essay Topic 2
In America, we speak highly of a separation of church and state. Was this separation made in these trials? Is this lack of separation still a problem in this country? Choose specific examples to support all claims.
Essay Topic 3
When there is power, there is often corruption. Yet there are different kinds of power. Choose from the following characters and show to what extent he or she had power and then to what extent he or she abused that power: Abigail, Mary Warren, Tituba, Parris, Danforth, Hale. Use specific examples to support all claims.
This section contains 1,392 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)