|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mercy Lewis thinks Ruth is improving in Act 1 because she woke to do something. What was it?
2. What does Tituba know will happen to her if she doesn't "confess."
3. What does Giles Corey's wife do with books after she reads them?
4. Hale asks if these two men's children are "stricken" as well. Their children are not ill. Who are they?
5. Who thinks Ruth and Betty are simply suffering from a childish fit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Betty's mother in Act 1?
2. Why do John Proctor and Mr. Putnam not like one another?
3. Rebecca Nurse makes a snide comment to Mrs. Putnam before she leaves Parris' home to go home. What is it and what is she implying?
4. Why was Abigail really fired from being a servant to the Proctors?
5. Is Parris's main concern only for his daughter's health?
6. Abigail and Parris are both concerned about their "reputation" in Salem. Why?
7. Giles tells Hale that John Proctor doesn't believe in witches. What is John Proctor's response?
8. Who probably has the most rights to the firewood, John Proctor or Mr. Putnam?
9. Why is Rebecca Nurse able to calm Betty?
10. Why did Mrs. Putnam ask Ruth and Tituba to go into the forest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select one character and analyze how the theme of blame and guilt applies to that character.
Essay Topic 2
In America, we speak highly of a separation of church and state. Was this separation made in these trials? Is this lack of separation still a problem in this country? Choose specific examples to support all claims.
Essay Topic 3
What is the most important lesson to be learned from this play? Use specific examples to support all claims.
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)