|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Parris accuse John Proctor of doing to him?
2. Mr. Putnam and John Proctor argue over the firewood. Who does it most likely belong to?
3. What was lying on the ground in the forest?
4. What is Parris's relationship to Abigail?
5. What does Giles claim he was unable to do until his wife stopped reading and left the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Abigail dislike Elizabeth Proctor so much?
2. Why do John Proctor and Mr. Putnam not like one another?
3. Why is Rebecca Nurse able to calm Betty?
4. According to whom would Betty's scream be evidence of witchcraft and why?
5. Where is Betty's mother in Act 1?
6. There is a disagreement about the kettle in the forest. Who disagrees and what about?
7. Mercy Lewis tells Parris that she thinks that Ruth is feeling better near the end of Act 1. What gives her the idea that she is on the mend?
8. Is Parris really living in poverty?
9. Why was Abigail really fired from being a servant to the Proctors?
10. Why might Mr. Putnam be suspicious of Sarah Good?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This play is centered around the blame game. When Abigail is afraid of trouble she blames Tituba. When Tituba feels threatened she blames Sarah Good. Witchcraft is a scapegoat for the death of Mrs. Putnam's children. Some claim that American's lack personal responsibility. To what extent is this an accurate statement about American society today? Use specific examples from the play and modern life to support all claims.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one character from the play. To what extent does selfishness lead this character through the play? Does this self-focus serve as an advantage or a disadvantage to that character? How do the other characters view this selfish behavior? What is Miller trying to tell the reader by using the theme of selfishness with this character? Use specific examples to support all claims.
Essay Topic 3
In America, we speak highly of a separation of church and state. Was this separation made in these trials? Is this lack of separation still a problem in this country? Choose specific examples to support all claims.
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)