|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Hale find a witch the year before the current action in the play?
2. Which character announces he/she doesn't believe in witches?
3. How much money does Parris get each year to buy firewood?
4. John Proctor scolds Mary at the beginning of Act 1. What has she done that makes him angry?
5. Parris reminds Abigail in Act 1 that her reputation is at stake as well. What is he referring to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why could Abigail be considered a mean character?
2. Is Parris's main concern only for his daughter's health?
3. Rebecca suggests that they put their faith in "God and the doctor." Why is this an ironic statement?
4. To what extent is Betty really sick?
5. Where is Betty's mother in Act 1?
6. Mercy Lewis tells Parris that she thinks that Ruth is feeling better near the end of Act 1. What gives her the idea that she is on the mend?
7. Why was Abigail really fired from being a servant to the Proctors?
8. Is Parris really living in poverty?
9. Why is Rebecca Nurse able to calm Betty?
10. Why do John Proctor and Mr. Putnam not like one another?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the most important lesson to be learned from this play? Use specific examples to support all claims.
Essay Topic 2
In America, we speak highly of a separation of church and state. Was this separation made in these trials? Is this lack of separation still a problem in this country? Choose specific examples to support all claims.
Essay Topic 3
Proctor is willing to confess verbally but not on paper. Why? What is it about the act of signing a confession that bothers him so much? Do the student agree or disagree with his logic?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)