|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What convinces Hale that the supernatural is involved, and the girls weren't just dancing?
2. Which character announces he/she doesn't believe in witches?
3. Who complains that he/she is living in "poverty"?
4. Who suggests that everyone put their faith in God and the doctor?
5. What does Abigail ultimately want from John Proctor?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 1, when Abigail feels cornered by Hale, she shifts the blame. Who does she blame onto and for what?
2. Giles tells Hale that John Proctor doesn't believe in witches. What is John Proctor's response?
3. Parris asks Hale to come to Salem to figure out why the Betty and Ruth are sick. Why does he call Hale and not another doctor?
4. Why might Mr. Putnam be suspicious of Sarah Good?
5. Why might John Proctor not attend Parris' sermons?
6. Why did Mrs. Putnam ask Ruth and Tituba to go into the forest?
7. Where is Betty's mother in Act 1?
8. Were Betty and Abigail really just dancing in the forest?
9. Rebecca suggests that they put their faith in "God and the doctor." Why is this an ironic statement?
10. Mercy Lewis tells Parris that she thinks that Ruth is feeling better near the end of Act 1. What gives her the idea that she is on the mend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mary had a chance to make things right in court, but she crumbles under pressure. Why did she have a hard time fainting for the judge? How might she rationalize her behavior? Or did she really think she was bewitched by Abigail? Or, was she just too scared to stand up for the truth?
Essay Topic 2
Select one character and analyze how the theme of blame and guilt applies to that character.
Essay Topic 3
How is witchcraft viewed in modern society? Compare and contrast the witches in the Crucible to a modern "witch." The student can use characters from movies, fiction, non-fiction, and television shows in his/her answer.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)