|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Abigail slap Betty in Act 1?
2. What character in Act 1 could be called a hypocrite?
3. What does Abigail tell Parris that she and the girls where doing in the woods?
4. In what room are psalms being sung in Act 1?
5. Who is able to calm Betty after she screams?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to whom would Betty's scream be evidence of witchcraft and why?
2. Is Parris really living in poverty?
3. Does Tituba come up with the idea of other townspeople talking to the devil?
4. Abigail and Parris are both concerned about their "reputation" in Salem. Why?
5. Why might John Proctor not attend Parris' sermons?
6. Were Betty and Abigail really just dancing in the forest?
7. Rebecca Nurse makes a snide comment to Mrs. Putnam before she leaves Parris' home to go home. What is it and what is she implying?
8. Giles asks Hale about his wife's behavior. What is he concerned about?
9. Rebecca suggests that they put their faith in "God and the doctor." Why is this an ironic statement?
10. To what extent is Betty really sick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This play is centered around the blame game. When Abigail is afraid of trouble she blames Tituba. When Tituba feels threatened she blames Sarah Good. Witchcraft is a scapegoat for the death of Mrs. Putnam's children. Some claim that American's lack personal responsibility. To what extent is this an accurate statement about American society today? Use specific examples from the play and modern life to support all claims.
Essay Topic 2
A martyr is someone willing to undergo intense suffering on principle. What character/s in this play might be considered martyrs? Use specific examples to support all claims.
Essay Topic 3
The student will select a character that he/she feels behaves hypocritically. Is that character ultimately altruistic or selfish in motivation? Explain and support the answer with specific examples.
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)