|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When John Proctor reminds Mr. Putnam that "votes are not granted by the acre." What is he implying?
2. Who asks if Parris has gone through the "proper channels" to investigate witchcraft in Salem?
3. How much money does Parris get each year to buy firewood?
4. Who suggests that everyone put their faith in God and the doctor?
5. What does John Proctor threaten to do to Mary if she doesn't go back to work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Giles tells Hale that John Proctor doesn't believe in witches. What is John Proctor's response?
2. Were Betty and Abigail really just dancing in the forest?
3. Where is Betty's mother in Act 1?
4. Parris asks Hale to come to Salem to figure out why the Betty and Ruth are sick. Why does he call Hale and not another doctor?
5. Why do John Proctor and Mr. Putnam not like one another?
6. In Act 1, when Abigail feels cornered by Hale, she shifts the blame. Who does she blame onto and for what?
7. Why might Mr. Putnam be suspicious of Sarah Good?
8. Rebecca Nurse makes a snide comment to Mrs. Putnam before she leaves Parris' home to go home. What is it and what is she implying?
9. Why did Mrs. Putnam ask Ruth and Tituba to go into the forest?
10. Why does Abigail dislike Elizabeth Proctor so much?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Feelings of guilt affect Proctor and the story tremendously. Which other characters are driven to act or not act according to feelings of guilt? To what extent is guilt more powerful than blame?
Essay Topic 2
In America, we speak highly of a separation of church and state. Was this separation made in these trials? Is this lack of separation still a problem in this country? Choose specific examples to support all claims.
Essay Topic 3
What is the most important lesson to be learned from this play? Use specific examples to support all claims.
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)