|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Putnam claim is evidence that Betty has been involved in Witchcraft?
2. What does Giles Corey's wife do with books after she reads them?
3. Why is Mrs. Putnam suspicious of Sarah Good?
4. Giles Corey feels Parris is too concerned with wealth. What does he offer as an example?
5. Which character announces he/she doesn't believe in witches?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do John Proctor and Mr. Putnam not like one another?
2. Parris asks Hale to come to Salem to figure out why the Betty and Ruth are sick. Why does he call Hale and not another doctor?
3. Is Parris really living in poverty?
4. There is a disagreement about the kettle in the forest. Who disagrees and what about?
5. Is Parris's main concern only for his daughter's health?
6. Why does Abigail dislike Elizabeth Proctor so much?
7. Giles tells Hale that John Proctor doesn't believe in witches. What is John Proctor's response?
8. Rebecca Nurse makes a snide comment to Mrs. Putnam before she leaves Parris' home to go home. What is it and what is she implying?
9. Giles asks Hale about his wife's behavior. What is he concerned about?
10. According to whom would Betty's scream be evidence of witchcraft and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select one character and analyze how the theme of blame and guilt applies to that character.
Essay Topic 2
How does a character's socio-economic status affect him or her in terms of accusation and execution for witchcraft? Choose two characters with different socio-economic status and compare and contrast their fate within the story. To what extent does this difference in treatment exist today?
Essay Topic 3
Abigail may be considered an unlikable character. But some would argue that she acted badly due to a lack of love and guidance. To what extent do you agree or disagree? Is Abigail a true villain, or merely a victim of circumstance?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)