|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the naked figure Parris sees disappear into the woods in Act 1?
2. What does Tituba "admit" the devil told her to do?
3. At the end of Act 1, what does Mr. Putnam threaten to do?
4. When John Proctor reminds Mr. Putnam that "votes are not granted by the acre." What is he implying?
5. What is Mary afraid will happen to her and her friends if they are found guilty of witchcraft?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why could Abigail be considered a mean character?
2. Mercy Lewis tells Parris that she thinks that Ruth is feeling better near the end of Act 1. What gives her the idea that she is on the mend?
3. Parris asks Hale to come to Salem to figure out why the Betty and Ruth are sick. Why does he call Hale and not another doctor?
4. Rebecca suggests that they put their faith in "God and the doctor." Why is this an ironic statement?
5. Describe John Proctor.
6. There is a disagreement about the kettle in the forest. Who disagrees and what about?
7. To what extent is Betty really sick?
8. Giles asks Hale about his wife's behavior. What is he concerned about?
9. Is Parris really living in poverty?
10. Who probably has the most rights to the firewood, John Proctor or Mr. Putnam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The student will select a character that he/she feels behaves hypocritically. Is that character ultimately altruistic or selfish in motivation? Explain and support the answer with specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
A martyr is someone willing to undergo intense suffering on principle. What character/s in this play might be considered martyrs? Use specific examples to support all claims.
Essay Topic 3
Most of the victims accused of witchcraft in this play are women. Women are often associated with witchcraft more than men in movies and books as well. What are the political, social, or other reasons for this? To what extent is this a positive or a negative gender connection? Use specific examples to explain and support all claims.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)