|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John Proctor threaten to do to Mary if she doesn't go back to work?
2. Which adult was involved in putting the girls up to "conjuration"?
3. John Proctor scolds Mary at the beginning of Act 1. What has she done that makes him angry?
4. Where did Hale find a witch the year before the current action in the play?
5. Who claims Tituba has knowledge of conjuration?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Betty's mother in Act 1?
2. Why did Mrs. Putnam ask Ruth and Tituba to go into the forest?
3. When Reverend Hale first arrives, he enters Parris' home carrying something. What is he carrying and why would the author choose this object for this character?
4. Why could Abigail be considered a mean character?
5. Giles asks Hale about his wife's behavior. What is he concerned about?
6. Rebecca suggests that they put their faith in "God and the doctor." Why is this an ironic statement?
7. Why was Abigail really fired from being a servant to the Proctors?
8. Parris asks Hale to come to Salem to figure out why the Betty and Ruth are sick. Why does he call Hale and not another doctor?
9. Does Tituba come up with the idea of other townspeople talking to the devil?
10. Were Betty and Abigail really just dancing in the forest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Act 4, Elizabeth wants Proctor to have a chance to forgive himself. She has already forgiven him. What other characters could benefit from acts of forgiveness? How might it have changed the way things turned out? Could forgiveness change our modern world? In what ways?
Essay Topic 2
Some compare the witch hunts of Salem to the McCarthy trials in the '50s. Has this type of hysteria happened again since? Could it happen in the future? Provide specific examples and support for all claims.
Essay Topic 3
What is the most important lesson to be learned from this play? Use specific examples to support all claims.
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)