|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Parris's relationship to Abigail?
2. Parris reminds Abigail in Act 1 that her reputation is at stake as well. What is he referring to?
3. Abigail adds a name to Tituba's list of people working with the devil. What is that name?
4. Why does John Proctor threaten to whip Abigail?
5. Why is Mrs. Putnam suspicious of Sarah Good?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what extent is Betty really sick?
2. Rebecca suggests that they put their faith in "God and the doctor." Why is this an ironic statement?
3. Why was Abigail really fired from being a servant to the Proctors?
4. In Act 1, when Abigail feels cornered by Hale, she shifts the blame. Who does she blame onto and for what?
5. Why could Abigail be considered a mean character?
6. Is Parris really living in poverty?
7. When Reverend Hale first arrives, he enters Parris' home carrying something. What is he carrying and why would the author choose this object for this character?
8. Were Betty and Abigail really just dancing in the forest?
9. Why did Mrs. Putnam ask Ruth and Tituba to go into the forest?
10. Why does Abigail threaten Betty and Tituba with death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In America, we speak highly of a separation of church and state. Was this separation made in these trials? Is this lack of separation still a problem in this country? Choose specific examples to support all claims.
Essay Topic 2
Feelings of guilt affect Proctor and the story tremendously. Which other characters are driven to act or not act according to feelings of guilt? To what extent is guilt more powerful than blame?
Essay Topic 3
The student will select a character that he/she feels behaves hypocritically. Is that character ultimately altruistic or selfish in motivation? Explain and support the answer with specific examples.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)