|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, John Proctor makes a promise to Elizabeth Proctor. What is it?
(a) To take care of Mary.
(b) To bring her home soon.
(c) Never to talk to Abigail again.
(d) Not to drink too much.
2. Elizabeth asks that no one mention this word to her children. What is it?
3. How was Giles Corey tortured?
(a) Stoned to death.
(b) In a press.
(c) With water.
(d) With fire.
4. Which character is pregnant?
(a) Mrs. Putnam.
(b) Rebecca Nurse.
(c) Elizabeth Proctor.
(d) Mary Warren.
5. What do Abigail and the girls do to scare Mary into denouncing John Proctor?
(a) They faint.
(b) They threaten to kill her.
(c) They mock her, copying everything she says.
(d) They accuse her of conjuring the devil.
6. Who says that if John Proctor is executed he will consider himself a murderer?
7. Early in Act 3, John Proctor hands Danforth something in court. What is it?
(a) An arrest warrant.
(b) The deed to Parris' house.
(c) A signed deposition.
(d) A kettle with a frog in it.
8. According to Parris, how many days per month does John Proctor attend church?
9. Who denounces the court at the end of Act 3?
10. At the beginning of Act 2, Elizabeth is upset with her husband. Why?
(a) He was alone with Abigail.
(b) He was late for dinner.
(c) He gave Abigail a gift.
(d) He told Abigail to come to dinner.
11. What is incriminating about the doll found in John Proctor's house toward the end of Act 2?
(a) Elizabeth created the doll as a Voodoo tool.
(b) A woman of Elizabeth's age shouldn't be playing with dolls.
(c) Mary stuck the doll with a needle in order to hurt Abigail.
(d) It has a needle in it and Abigail was found with a needle in her stomach.
12. What does Tituba say she and her "roommate" are doing in the room in Act 4?
(a) Waiting for the devil to fly them to Barbados.
(b) Waiting for Hale to bless them.
(c) Waiting for a visit from Abigail.
(d) Waiting for the jailer to set them free.
13. What does Danforth ask Mary to do to prove that she and the girls are lying?
(a) Pretend to be paralyzed.
(b) Pretend to faint.
(c) Pretend to be bewitched.
(d) Pretend to shiver.
14. Which of the ten commandments does John Proctor forget?
(a) Thou shalt not commit adultery.
(b) Honor thy mother and father.
(c) Thou shalt not kill.
(d) Thou shalt not covet.
15. In court, Abigail claims that Mary is bewitching her by doing what to her?
(a) Making her shawl move.
(b) Making her cold with her icy stare.
(c) Making her shiver, by sending a chill wind.
(d) Making her shiver by pulling on her shawl.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hale doing at the prison in Act 4?
2. What were Giles Corey's final words?
3. Who does Parris reveal that Abigail disappeared with?
4. How are the people in the trial "tested" for witchcraft?
5. Why didn't Elizabeth stop Mary from leaving the house?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)