|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Parris, how many days per month does John Proctor attend church?
2. Why is Hathorne suspicious of Hale?
(a) He believes Hale contributed to the uprising in Andover.
(b) He believes Hale is trying to help Tituba escape.
(c) He thinks Hale is a crook.
(d) He thinks Hale is under the devil's spell.
3. What does Cheever accuse John Proctor of doing on the Sabbath?
4. How much was stolen from Parris' strongbox?
(a) Three hundred pounds.
(b) Thirty-three pounds.
(c) Thirty pounds.
(d) Thirty-one pounds.
5. In Act 4, Elizabeth tells John that a number of people have already confessed. How many?
(a) Two hundred.
(d) One hundred.
6. What surprising thing is learned about Elizabeth Proctor in Act 3?
(a) She planned to leave John Proctor.
(b) She is having an affair.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is really a witch.
7. Who denounces the court at the end of Act 3?
8. Danforth complains that Hale has no business in Salem after what he did. What did he do?
(a) Demanded more firewood.
(b) Allowed Abigail to trick everyone.
(c) Let his daughter conjure the devil.
(d) Quit the trials.
9. John Proctor says there is only one thing keeping him from confessing. What is it?
(a) He won't confess out of spite.
(b) He won't confess because he is innocent.
(c) He won't confess until Abigail is executed.
(d) He won't confess until Elizabeth confesses.
10. Which one of the girls caught in the forest admits they made it all up?
11. Who is surprised that the people of Salem haven't overthrown the courts already?
12. Why does John Proctor "forget" one of the commandments?
(a) He is stressed out.
(b) He is uncomfortable saying them in front of Hale.
(c) He feels guilty.
(d) He is old and forgetful.
13. Why didn't Elizabeth stop Mary from leaving the house?
(a) She needed a break from the girl and her silly stories.
(b) She was worried that she might hurt Mary's feelings.
(c) She was afraid of the legal and spiritual consequences.
(d) She wanted to hear what was happening in town.
14. What is Martha Corey accused of?
(a) Making a Voodoo doll of Abigail.
(b) Cursing Elizabeth Proctor.
(c) Killing a Mrs. Putnam's children.
(d) Cursing a local farmer's pigs.
15. Which male character is arrested at the end of Act 3?
(a) Mr. Putnam.
(b) Reverand Hale.
(c) John Proctor.
(d) Giles Corey.
Short Answer Questions
1. In court, Abigail claims that Mary is bewitching her by doing what to her?
2. John Proctor says people will admit to anything when this is the alternative. What is it?
3. When Elizabeth is asked why she fired Abigail, what does she say?
4. Why does Giles lose his case accusing Mr. Putnam of making a land grab?
5. How many character witnesses are on John Proctor's list?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)