|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the clerk of the court?
(a) Mr. Cheever.
(b) Mr. Putnam.
(c) Giles Corey.
(d) Mr. Herrick.
2. What is incriminating about the doll found in John Proctor's house toward the end of Act 2?
(a) Mary stuck the doll with a needle in order to hurt Abigail.
(b) A woman of Elizabeth's age shouldn't be playing with dolls.
(c) Elizabeth created the doll as a Voodoo tool.
(d) It has a needle in it and Abigail was found with a needle in her stomach.
3. When Elizabeth is asked why she fired Abigail, what does she say?
(a) She fired Abigail for trying to kill her.
(b) She fired Abigail for witchcraft.
(c) She fired Abigail for being lazy.
(d) She fired Abigail out of jealousy.
4. Danforth complains that Hale has no business in Salem after what he did. What did he do?
(a) Quit the trials.
(b) Allowed Abigail to trick everyone.
(c) Demanded more firewood.
(d) Let his daughter conjure the devil.
5. What animal does Tituba hear outside of the room she is staying in?
(a) A frog.
(b) A spider.
(c) A pig.
(d) A cow.
6. The Proctors have a surprise visitor in Act 2. Who is it?
(a) Rebecca Nurse.
(c) Mrs. Putnam.
7. Which one of the girls caught in the forest admits they made it all up?
8. What does Danforth ask Mary to do to prove that she and the girls are lying?
(a) Pretend to faint.
(b) Pretend to be bewitched.
(c) Pretend to shiver.
(d) Pretend to be paralyzed.
9. Who attacks Mary during the Which trial in Act 2?
(a) Sarah Good.
(c) Rebecca Nurse.
(d) Goody Osbourne.
10. In Act 4, Elizabeth tells John that a number of people have already confessed. How many?
(a) One hundred.
(d) Two hundred.
11. According to Parris, how many days per month does John Proctor attend church?
12. Who orders John Proctor to be executed despite his confession?
13. Why is Hathorne suspicious of Hale?
(a) He thinks Hale is a crook.
(b) He believes Hale contributed to the uprising in Andover.
(c) He thinks Hale is under the devil's spell.
(d) He believes Hale is trying to help Tituba escape.
14. John Proctor tears something to pieces in Act 2. What is it?
(a) The deed to Parris' house.
(b) The arrest warrant.
(c) The newspaper.
(d) A love note from Abigail.
15. If the accused character is found to be pregnant, how long will she be spared?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two years.
(c) One year.
(d) Nine months.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mary is upset and crying at the end of Act 2. Why?
2. Why does John Proctor "forget" one of the commandments?
3. When John Proctor gets home from seeding the farm, he learns that Mary has been gone all day. Where was she?
4. What are the farmers fighting over when Parris is trying to help them?
5. Who physically attacks Abigail in court?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)