|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why didn't Elizabeth stop Mary from leaving the house?
(a) She wanted to hear what was happening in town.
(b) She was afraid of the legal and spiritual consequences.
(c) She was worried that she might hurt Mary's feelings.
(d) She needed a break from the girl and her silly stories.
2. Mary is upset and crying at the end of Act 2. Why?
(a) John Proctor insists that she cook for everyone in the house.
(b) John Proctor insists that she not go to court ever again.
(c) John Proctor insists that she take the doll back.
(d) John Proctor insists that she appear in court.
3. Giles tries to defend his wife. What does he accuse Mr. Putnam of?
(a) Of using the trial to do the deeds of the devil.
(b) Of having an affair with his wife.
(c) Of using the trial to scare children.
(d) Of using the trial to get land.
4. What are the farmers fighting over when Parris is trying to help them?
(a) Whether it will rain or not.
(b) Who owns the land.
(c) Seed prices.
(d) Wandering livestock.
5. Who does Parris reveal that Abigail disappeared with?
(b) Rebecca Nurse.
(c) Mercy Lewis.
(d) Mary Warren.
6. According to Parris, how many days per month does John Proctor attend church?
7. When Elizabeth is asked why she fired Abigail, what does she say?
(a) She fired Abigail for being lazy.
(b) She fired Abigail for witchcraft.
(c) She fired Abigail out of jealousy.
(d) She fired Abigail for trying to kill her.
8. Why does Hale ask Danforth to delay the witch trial proceedings?
(a) The plaintiffs don't have proper representation.
(b) The people on the list all need to be questioned.
(c) The defendants don't have proper representation.
(d) The people on the list are all witches.
9. Who is the clerk of the court?
(a) Mr. Putnam.
(b) Mr. Cheever.
(c) Giles Corey.
(d) Mr. Herrick.
10. Elizabeth asks that no one mention this word to her children. What is it?
11. Early in Act 3, John Proctor hands Danforth something in court. What is it?
(a) A signed deposition.
(b) An arrest warrant.
(c) A kettle with a frog in it.
(d) The deed to Parris' house.
12. Danforth complains that Hale has no business in Salem after what he did. What did he do?
(a) Quit the trials.
(b) Allowed Abigail to trick everyone.
(c) Let his daughter conjure the devil.
(d) Demanded more firewood.
13. Who physically attacks Abigail in court?
(a) Mary Warren.
(b) John Proctor.
(c) Elizabeth Proctor.
(d) Mercy Lewis.
14. When Mary returns from court, in Act 2 she complains about something. What is it?
(d) A swollen ankle.
15. John Proctor says there is only one thing keeping him from confessing. What is it?
(a) He won't confess until Abigail is executed.
(b) He won't confess because he is innocent.
(c) He won't confess until Elizabeth confesses.
(d) He won't confess out of spite.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is pregnant?
2. Which of the ten commandments does John Proctor forget?
3. How many people are initially on trial for witchcraft?
4. What surprising thing is learned about Elizabeth Proctor in Act 3?
5. What animal does Tituba hear outside of the room she is staying in?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)