|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is worried that Rebecca Nurse and John Proctor will be executed?
2. Who is Tituba sharing a room with?
(a) Goody Osbourne.
(c) Rebecca Nurse.
(d) Sarah Good.
3. What does John Proctor refuse to do for Danforth?
(a) Pay his bail.
(b) Give up his land.
(c) Ask for forgiveness.
(d) Sign his name on the confession.
4. Why is Hathorne suspicious of Hale?
(a) He thinks Hale is a crook.
(b) He thinks Hale is under the devil's spell.
(c) He believes Hale contributed to the uprising in Andover.
(d) He believes Hale is trying to help Tituba escape.
5. What surprising thing is learned about Elizabeth Proctor in Act 3?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She is really a witch.
(c) She is having an affair.
(d) She planned to leave John Proctor.
6. Who tries to calm Giles when he is removed from the vestry?
(c) Mr. Putnam.
(d) John Proctor.
7. What is Martha Corey accused of?
(a) Cursing a local farmer's pigs.
(b) Making a Voodoo doll of Abigail.
(c) Killing a Mrs. Putnam's children.
(d) Cursing Elizabeth Proctor.
8. Giles tries to defend his wife. What does he accuse Mr. Putnam of?
(a) Of using the trial to get land.
(b) Of using the trial to scare children.
(c) Of having an affair with his wife.
(d) Of using the trial to do the deeds of the devil.
9. John Proctor says there is only one thing keeping him from confessing. What is it?
(a) He won't confess out of spite.
(b) He won't confess until Abigail is executed.
(c) He won't confess until Elizabeth confesses.
(d) He won't confess because he is innocent.
10. How many character witnesses are on John Proctor's list?
11. Why doesn't Elizabeth admit that she fired Abigail for having an affair with her husband?
(a) She believes that Abigail put a spell on her husband.
(b) She doesn't know about the affair.
(c) She is protecting her husband's reputation.
(d) She doesn't care about the affair.
12. At the beginning of Act 2, Elizabeth is upset with her husband. Why?
(a) He was alone with Abigail.
(b) He was late for dinner.
(c) He told Abigail to come to dinner.
(d) He gave Abigail a gift.
13. Danforth complains that Hale has no business in Salem after what he did. What did he do?
(a) Demanded more firewood.
(b) Allowed Abigail to trick everyone.
(c) Quit the trials.
(d) Let his daughter conjure the devil.
14. Mary gives Elizabeth a gift after spending all day at court. What is it?
(a) A gavel.
(b) A stuffed bear.
(c) A doll.
(d) A candied apple.
15. In Act 4, Elizabeth tells John that a number of people have already confessed. How many?
(a) Two hundred.
(c) One hundred.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cheever and Herrick arrive at the Proctor's with an arrest warrant. Who is it for?
2. Who is the first person in Act 3 to claim to have proof that the girls are lying?
3. Early in Act 3, John Proctor hands Danforth something in court. What is it?
4. Who does Parris reveal that Abigail disappeared with?
5. Which male character is arrested at the end of Act 3?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)