|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John Proctor says people will admit to anything when this is the alternative. What is it?
2. In the end of Act 3, someone calls John Proctor "the devil's man" and betrays him. Who is it?
(c) Mary Warren.
(d) Mercy Lewis.
3. Who is the first person in Act 3 to claim to have proof that the girls are lying?
(b) Mr. Putnam.
4. When Elizabeth is asked why she fired Abigail, what does she say?
(a) She fired Abigail for being lazy.
(b) She fired Abigail out of jealousy.
(c) She fired Abigail for trying to kill her.
(d) She fired Abigail for witchcraft.
5. In Act 3, Francis complains that he has been ignored for how many days?
6. Why doesn't Elizabeth admit that she fired Abigail for having an affair with her husband?
(a) She is protecting her husband's reputation.
(b) She doesn't know about the affair.
(c) She believes that Abigail put a spell on her husband.
(d) She doesn't care about the affair.
7. How much was stolen from Parris' strongbox?
(a) Thirty pounds.
(b) Thirty-three pounds.
(c) Thirty-one pounds.
(d) Three hundred pounds.
8. Who is Tituba sharing a room with?
(a) Goody Osbourne.
(b) Rebecca Nurse.
(c) Sarah Good.
9. When Mary returns from court, in Act 2 she complains about something. What is it?
(d) A swollen ankle.
10. Why won't Danforth pardon the accused?
(a) He says they must confess first.
(b) He says he doesn't have the power.
(c) He says they are guilty and must die.
(d) He says it wouldn't be fair.
11. What were Giles Corey's final words?
(a) "Forgive me."
(b) "She lies."
(c) "More life."
(d) "More weight."
12. Giles tries to defend his wife. What does he accuse Mr. Putnam of?
(a) Of using the trial to scare children.
(b) Of using the trial to get land.
(c) Of using the trial to do the deeds of the devil.
(d) Of having an affair with his wife.
13. Giles regrets telling Hale that his wife did something. What is it?
(a) That his wife has been dancing.
(b) That his wife has been hiding dolls.
(c) That his wife reads books.
(d) That his wife goes missing after dinner.
14. Why does John Proctor "forget" one of the commandments?
(a) He feels guilty.
(b) He is old and forgetful.
(c) He is stressed out.
(d) He is uncomfortable saying them in front of Hale.
15. Who doesn't believe Mary when she says she created the doll?
(b) Marshall Herrick.
(d) Mrs. Putnam.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is incriminating about the doll found in John Proctor's house toward the end of Act 2?
2. In court, Abigail claims that Mary is bewitching her by doing what to her?
3. Who claims the list of witnesses is an attack on the court?
4. When John Proctor gets home from seeding the farm, he learns that Mary has been gone all day. Where was she?
5. John Proctor tears something to pieces in Act 2. What is it?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)