|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Giles regrets telling Hale that his wife did something. What is it?
(a) That his wife goes missing after dinner.
(b) That his wife reads books.
(c) That his wife has been dancing.
(d) That his wife has been hiding dolls.
2. If the accused character is found to be pregnant, how long will she be spared?
(a) Nine months.
(b) Six months.
(c) One year.
(d) Two years.
3. John Proctor says there is only one thing keeping him from confessing. What is it?
(a) He won't confess until Abigail is executed.
(b) He won't confess until Elizabeth confesses.
(c) He won't confess out of spite.
(d) He won't confess because he is innocent.
4. Who tries to calm Giles when he is removed from the vestry?
(a) John Proctor.
(b) Mr. Putnam.
5. John Proctor says people will admit to anything when this is the alternative. What is it?
6. What might the community do if Rebecca Nurse and John Proctor are killed?
(a) The people may riot and overthrow the court.
(b) The people may try to kill more witches.
(c) The people may leave Salem.
(d) The people may not pay their taxes.
7. When Mary returns from court, in Act 2 she complains about something. What is it?
(d) A swollen ankle.
8. When Elizabeth is asked why she fired Abigail, what does she say?
(a) She fired Abigail for witchcraft.
(b) She fired Abigail for being lazy.
(c) She fired Abigail out of jealousy.
(d) She fired Abigail for trying to kill her.
9. What does John Proctor refuse to do for Danforth?
(a) Give up his land.
(b) Pay his bail.
(c) Ask for forgiveness.
(d) Sign his name on the confession.
10. Who orders John Proctor to be executed despite his confession?
11. Danforth asks John Proctor if he has seen Rebecca Nurse with someone. Who is it?
(c) Reverand Parris.
(d) Mr. Putnam.
12. Why won't Danforth pardon the accused?
(a) He says they must confess first.
(b) He says he doesn't have the power.
(c) He says it wouldn't be fair.
(d) He says they are guilty and must die.
13. The Proctors have a surprise visitor in Act 2. Who is it?
(a) Mrs. Putnam.
(b) Rebecca Nurse.
14. What do Abigail and the girls do to scare Mary into denouncing John Proctor?
(a) They threaten to kill her.
(b) They accuse her of conjuring the devil.
(c) They faint.
(d) They mock her, copying everything she says.
15. Why didn't Elizabeth stop Mary from leaving the house?
(a) She was afraid of the legal and spiritual consequences.
(b) She wanted to hear what was happening in town.
(c) She was worried that she might hurt Mary's feelings.
(d) She needed a break from the girl and her silly stories.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the clerk of the court?
2. How many people are initially on trial for witchcraft?
3. Who is surprised that the people of Salem haven't overthrown the courts already?
4. Who doesn't believe Mary when she says she created the doll?
5. Giles tries to defend his wife. What does he accuse Mr. Putnam of?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)