|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tries to calm Giles when he is removed from the vestry?
(c) Mr. Putnam.
(d) John Proctor.
2. Why is Herrick acting strangely when he visits Tituba and Sarah Good?
(a) He is depressed.
(b) He is filthy.
(c) He is drunk.
(d) He is angry.
3. Why didn't Elizabeth stop Mary from leaving the house?
(a) She was afraid of the legal and spiritual consequences.
(b) She wanted to hear what was happening in town.
(c) She needed a break from the girl and her silly stories.
(d) She was worried that she might hurt Mary's feelings.
4. What does John Proctor refuse to do for Danforth?
(a) Give up his land.
(b) Pay his bail.
(c) Ask for forgiveness.
(d) Sign his name on the confession.
5. Who denounces the court at the end of Act 3?
6. Why is Hathorne suspicious of Hale?
(a) He believes Hale is trying to help Tituba escape.
(b) He believes Hale contributed to the uprising in Andover.
(c) He thinks Hale is a crook.
(d) He thinks Hale is under the devil's spell.
7. Who orders John Proctor to be executed despite his confession?
8. Which one of the girls caught in the forest admits they made it all up?
9. Why does Giles lose his case accusing Mr. Putnam of making a land grab?
(a) He doesn't have any evidence.
(b) His witnesses are too scared to testify.
(c) He refuses to identify his witness.
(d) He has been bewitched.
10. Why won't Danforth pardon the accused?
(a) He says they are guilty and must die.
(b) He says it wouldn't be fair.
(c) He says they must confess first.
(d) He says he doesn't have the power.
11. Danforth complains that Hale has no business in Salem after what he did. What did he do?
(a) Quit the trials.
(b) Demanded more firewood.
(c) Allowed Abigail to trick everyone.
(d) Let his daughter conjure the devil.
12. Danforth asks John Proctor if he has seen Rebecca Nurse with someone. Who is it?
(c) Mr. Putnam.
(d) Reverand Parris.
13. What does Tituba say she and her "roommate" are doing in the room in Act 4?
(a) Waiting for a visit from Abigail.
(b) Waiting for Hale to bless them.
(c) Waiting for the devil to fly them to Barbados.
(d) Waiting for the jailer to set them free.
14. John Proctor tears something to pieces in Act 2. What is it?
(a) The arrest warrant.
(b) The newspaper.
(c) A love note from Abigail.
(d) The deed to Parris' house.
15. Who attacks Mary during the Which trial in Act 2?
(a) Goody Osbourne.
(b) Sarah Good.
(c) Rebecca Nurse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Parris reveal that Abigail disappeared with?
2. In Act 3, Francis complains that he has been ignored for how many days?
3. Why does John Proctor "forget" one of the commandments?
4. Which character is pregnant?
5. In Act 2, John Proctor makes a promise to Elizabeth Proctor. What is it?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)