|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John Proctor says there is only one thing keeping him from confessing. What is it?
(a) He won't confess until Elizabeth confesses.
(b) He won't confess because he is innocent.
(c) He won't confess until Abigail is executed.
(d) He won't confess out of spite.
2. Giles regrets telling Hale that his wife did something. What is it?
(a) That his wife has been dancing.
(b) That his wife has been hiding dolls.
(c) That his wife goes missing after dinner.
(d) That his wife reads books.
3. Why didn't Elizabeth stop Mary from leaving the house?
(a) She was worried that she might hurt Mary's feelings.
(b) She needed a break from the girl and her silly stories.
(c) She wanted to hear what was happening in town.
(d) She was afraid of the legal and spiritual consequences.
4. What is Rebecca Nurse charged with?
(a) The murder of Ruth and Betty.
(b) The murder of Elizabeth Proctor.
(c) The murder of the Putnam children.
(d) The murder of Giles Corey.
5. What does Danforth ask Mary to do to prove that she and the girls are lying?
(a) Pretend to shiver.
(b) Pretend to be bewitched.
(c) Pretend to be paralyzed.
(d) Pretend to faint.
6. When Mary returns from court, in Act 2 she complains about something. What is it?
(a) A swollen ankle.
7. Who denounces the court at the end of Act 3?
8. Elizabeth asks that no one mention this word to her children. What is it?
9. Who is Tituba sharing a room with?
(a) Sarah Good.
(b) Goody Osbourne.
(d) Rebecca Nurse.
10. Who claims the list of witnesses is an attack on the court?
(a) Mr. Putnam.
11. Mary is upset and crying at the end of Act 2. Why?
(a) John Proctor insists that she cook for everyone in the house.
(b) John Proctor insists that she not go to court ever again.
(c) John Proctor insists that she appear in court.
(d) John Proctor insists that she take the doll back.
12. The Proctors have a surprise visitor in Act 2. Who is it?
(c) Rebecca Nurse.
(d) Mrs. Putnam.
13. In court, Abigail claims that Mary is bewitching her by doing what to her?
(a) Making her shawl move.
(b) Making her shiver, by sending a chill wind.
(c) Making her cold with her icy stare.
(d) Making her shiver by pulling on her shawl.
14. Why does Giles lose his case accusing Mr. Putnam of making a land grab?
(a) He doesn't have any evidence.
(b) He refuses to identify his witness.
(c) His witnesses are too scared to testify.
(d) He has been bewitched.
15. Who is the first person in Act 3 to claim to have proof that the girls are lying?
(b) Mr. Putnam.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Act 2, Elizabeth is upset with her husband. Why?
2. Who is the clerk of the court?
3. What is Martha Corey accused of?
4. Early in Act 3, John Proctor hands Danforth something in court. What is it?
5. Who doesn't believe Mary when she says she created the doll?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)