|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Proctors have a surprise visitor in Act 2. Who is it?
(b) Mrs. Putnam.
(d) Rebecca Nurse.
2. Who denounces the court at the end of Act 3?
3. In Act 2, John Proctor makes a promise to Elizabeth Proctor. What is it?
(a) Not to drink too much.
(b) To take care of Mary.
(c) To bring her home soon.
(d) Never to talk to Abigail again.
4. What is Rebecca Nurse charged with?
(a) The murder of Giles Corey.
(b) The murder of Ruth and Betty.
(c) The murder of Elizabeth Proctor.
(d) The murder of the Putnam children.
5. In court, Abigail claims that Mary is bewitching her by doing what to her?
(a) Making her shiver, by sending a chill wind.
(b) Making her shawl move.
(c) Making her shiver by pulling on her shawl.
(d) Making her cold with her icy stare.
6. Mary gives Elizabeth a gift after spending all day at court. What is it?
(a) A candied apple.
(b) A stuffed bear.
(c) A doll.
(d) A gavel.
7. How old is Mary Warren?
8. Danforth complains that Hale has no business in Salem after what he did. What did he do?
(a) Allowed Abigail to trick everyone.
(b) Let his daughter conjure the devil.
(c) Quit the trials.
(d) Demanded more firewood.
9. Why is Herrick acting strangely when he visits Tituba and Sarah Good?
(a) He is depressed.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He is drunk.
(d) He is filthy.
10. What are the farmers fighting over when Parris is trying to help them?
(a) Who owns the land.
(b) Whether it will rain or not.
(c) Seed prices.
(d) Wandering livestock.
11. In the end of Act 3, someone calls John Proctor "the devil's man" and betrays him. Who is it?
(b) Mercy Lewis.
(c) Mary Warren.
12. Who is Tituba sharing a room with?
(b) Sarah Good.
(c) Rebecca Nurse.
(d) Goody Osbourne.
13. What surprising thing is learned about Elizabeth Proctor in Act 3?
(a) She planned to leave John Proctor.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She is really a witch.
(d) She is having an affair.
14. Who claims the list of witnesses is an attack on the court?
(b) Mr. Putnam.
15. What does John Proctor refuse to do for Danforth?
(a) Give up his land.
(b) Sign his name on the confession.
(c) Ask for forgiveness.
(d) Pay his bail.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person in Act 3 to claim to have proof that the girls are lying?
2. Who is surprised that the people of Salem haven't overthrown the courts already?
3. At the beginning of Act 2, Elizabeth is upset with her husband. Why?
4. Who orders John Proctor to be executed despite his confession?
5. How are the people in the trial "tested" for witchcraft?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)