|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is worried that Rebecca Nurse and John Proctor will be executed?
2. Danforth asks John Proctor if he has seen Rebecca Nurse with someone. Who is it?
(b) Reverand Parris.
(d) Mr. Putnam.
3. John Proctor says there is only one thing keeping him from confessing. What is it?
(a) He won't confess until Abigail is executed.
(b) He won't confess until Elizabeth confesses.
(c) He won't confess because he is innocent.
(d) He won't confess out of spite.
4. Who claims the list of witnesses is an attack on the court?
(d) Mr. Putnam.
5. Which of the ten commandments does John Proctor forget?
(a) Thou shalt not covet.
(b) Honor thy mother and father.
(c) Thou shalt not commit adultery.
(d) Thou shalt not kill.
6. What might the community do if Rebecca Nurse and John Proctor are killed?
(a) The people may not pay their taxes.
(b) The people may riot and overthrow the court.
(c) The people may leave Salem.
(d) The people may try to kill more witches.
7. When Mary returns from court, in Act 2 she complains about something. What is it?
(d) A swollen ankle.
8. Why is Herrick acting strangely when he visits Tituba and Sarah Good?
(a) He is depressed.
(b) He is drunk.
(c) He is filthy.
(d) He is angry.
9. John Proctor tears something to pieces in Act 2. What is it?
(a) The arrest warrant.
(b) The deed to Parris' house.
(c) A love note from Abigail.
(d) The newspaper.
10. Which one of the girls caught in the forest admits they made it all up?
11. Who orders John Proctor to be executed despite his confession?
12. Mary is upset and crying at the end of Act 2. Why?
(a) John Proctor insists that she take the doll back.
(b) John Proctor insists that she appear in court.
(c) John Proctor insists that she cook for everyone in the house.
(d) John Proctor insists that she not go to court ever again.
13. What is Hale doing at the prison in Act 4?
(a) Trying to convince the girls to try to escape with him.
(b) Trying to convince the girls to admit they lied.
(c) Trying to get the girls to confess to save them from execution.
(d) Trying to get the girls to come back to the trials with him.
14. Early in Act 3, John Proctor hands Danforth something in court. What is it?
(a) A signed deposition.
(b) An arrest warrant.
(c) The deed to Parris' house.
(d) A kettle with a frog in it.
15. When John Proctor gets home from seeding the farm, he learns that Mary has been gone all day. Where was she?
(a) Shopping in a nearby city.
(b) In town at the witch trials.
(c) Hiding in the cellar.
(d) Dancing in the forest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Elizabeth stop Mary from leaving the house?
2. What is Martha Corey accused of?
3. If the accused character is found to be pregnant, how long will she be spared?
4. Giles regrets telling Hale that his wife did something. What is it?
5. Mary gives Elizabeth a gift after spending all day at court. What is it?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)