|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal does Tituba hear outside of the room she is staying in?
(a) A spider.
(b) A pig.
(c) A frog.
(d) A cow.
2. When Elizabeth is asked why she fired Abigail, what does she say?
(a) She fired Abigail out of jealousy.
(b) She fired Abigail for witchcraft.
(c) She fired Abigail for being lazy.
(d) She fired Abigail for trying to kill her.
3. What might the community do if Rebecca Nurse and John Proctor are killed?
(a) The people may not pay their taxes.
(b) The people may try to kill more witches.
(c) The people may riot and overthrow the court.
(d) The people may leave Salem.
4. Who attacks Mary during the Which trial in Act 2?
(b) Sarah Good.
(c) Goody Osbourne.
(d) Rebecca Nurse.
5. In Act 2, John Proctor makes a promise to Elizabeth Proctor. What is it?
(a) Not to drink too much.
(b) Never to talk to Abigail again.
(c) To bring her home soon.
(d) To take care of Mary.
6. Why didn't Elizabeth stop Mary from leaving the house?
(a) She was afraid of the legal and spiritual consequences.
(b) She needed a break from the girl and her silly stories.
(c) She was worried that she might hurt Mary's feelings.
(d) She wanted to hear what was happening in town.
7. When John Proctor gets home from seeding the farm, he learns that Mary has been gone all day. Where was she?
(a) Dancing in the forest.
(b) Hiding in the cellar.
(c) Shopping in a nearby city.
(d) In town at the witch trials.
8. Who is Tituba sharing a room with?
(b) Sarah Good.
(c) Rebecca Nurse.
(d) Goody Osbourne.
9. Why does John Proctor "forget" one of the commandments?
(a) He is old and forgetful.
(b) He is uncomfortable saying them in front of Hale.
(c) He is stressed out.
(d) He feels guilty.
10. How many people are initially on trial for witchcraft?
11. What is Rebecca Nurse charged with?
(a) The murder of the Putnam children.
(b) The murder of Giles Corey.
(c) The murder of Elizabeth Proctor.
(d) The murder of Ruth and Betty.
12. Mary is upset and crying at the end of Act 2. Why?
(a) John Proctor insists that she cook for everyone in the house.
(b) John Proctor insists that she not go to court ever again.
(c) John Proctor insists that she take the doll back.
(d) John Proctor insists that she appear in court.
13. In court, Abigail claims that Mary is bewitching her by doing what to her?
(a) Making her shiver, by sending a chill wind.
(b) Making her shiver by pulling on her shawl.
(c) Making her cold with her icy stare.
(d) Making her shawl move.
14. Which of the ten commandments does John Proctor forget?
(a) Honor thy mother and father.
(b) Thou shalt not commit adultery.
(c) Thou shalt not covet.
(d) Thou shalt not kill.
15. In Act 4, Elizabeth tells John that a number of people have already confessed. How many?
(a) Two hundred.
(b) One hundred.
Short Answer Questions
1. Early in Act 3, John Proctor hands Danforth something in court. What is it?
2. Who says that if John Proctor is executed he will consider himself a murderer?
3. Who denounces the court at the end of Act 3?
4. When John Proctor is doubtful of Rebecca Nurse's guilt, Hale reminds him of something. What is it?
5. The Proctors have a surprise visitor in Act 2. Who is it?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)