|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Danforth ask Mary to do to prove that she and the girls are lying?
(a) Pretend to be bewitched.
(b) Pretend to faint.
(c) Pretend to be paralyzed.
(d) Pretend to shiver.
2. How was Giles Corey tortured?
(a) With water.
(b) Stoned to death.
(c) In a press.
(d) With fire.
3. Who physically attacks Abigail in court?
(a) John Proctor.
(b) Mary Warren.
(c) Elizabeth Proctor.
(d) Mercy Lewis.
4. Why is Herrick acting strangely when he visits Tituba and Sarah Good?
(a) He is drunk.
(b) He is depressed.
(c) He is angry.
(d) He is filthy.
5. Giles tries to defend his wife. What does he accuse Mr. Putnam of?
(a) Of using the trial to get land.
(b) Of using the trial to scare children.
(c) Of having an affair with his wife.
(d) Of using the trial to do the deeds of the devil.
6. In Act 3, Francis complains that he has been ignored for how many days?
7. Why does Hale ask Danforth to delay the witch trial proceedings?
(a) The people on the list are all witches.
(b) The defendants don't have proper representation.
(c) The people on the list all need to be questioned.
(d) The plaintiffs don't have proper representation.
8. How are the people in the trial "tested" for witchcraft?
(a) If the girls scream, they are jailed.
(b) If they dance and the kettle is still they are innocent.
(c) If they float in a lake, they are innocent.
(d) If they dance and the kettle moves they are guilty.
9. In Act 2, John Proctor makes a promise to Elizabeth Proctor. What is it?
(a) Never to talk to Abigail again.
(b) To take care of Mary.
(c) Not to drink too much.
(d) To bring her home soon.
10. Who is the clerk of the court?
(a) Mr. Herrick.
(b) Mr. Cheever.
(c) Giles Corey.
(d) Mr. Putnam.
11. Why is Hathorne suspicious of Hale?
(a) He believes Hale is trying to help Tituba escape.
(b) He believes Hale contributed to the uprising in Andover.
(c) He thinks Hale is a crook.
(d) He thinks Hale is under the devil's spell.
12. If the accused character is found to be pregnant, how long will she be spared?
(a) One year.
(b) Six months.
(c) Nine months.
(d) Two years.
13. Why won't Danforth pardon the accused?
(a) He says he doesn't have the power.
(b) He says they are guilty and must die.
(c) He says it wouldn't be fair.
(d) He says they must confess first.
14. When Elizabeth is asked why she fired Abigail, what does she say?
(a) She fired Abigail for witchcraft.
(b) She fired Abigail for being lazy.
(c) She fired Abigail for trying to kill her.
(d) She fired Abigail out of jealousy.
15. How many character witnesses are on John Proctor's list?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the ten commandments does John Proctor forget?
2. What is Rebecca Nurse charged with?
3. When John Proctor is doubtful of Rebecca Nurse's guilt, Hale reminds him of something. What is it?
4. Elizabeth asks that no one mention this word to her children. What is it?
5. Who orders John Proctor to be executed despite his confession?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)