|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who denounces the court at the end of Act 3?
2. What might the community do if Rebecca Nurse and John Proctor are killed?
(a) The people may leave Salem.
(b) The people may not pay their taxes.
(c) The people may try to kill more witches.
(d) The people may riot and overthrow the court.
3. What surprising thing is learned about Elizabeth Proctor in Act 3?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She is really a witch.
(c) She is having an affair.
(d) She planned to leave John Proctor.
4. How many people are initially on trial for witchcraft?
5. What is Rebecca Nurse charged with?
(a) The murder of the Putnam children.
(b) The murder of Ruth and Betty.
(c) The murder of Giles Corey.
(d) The murder of Elizabeth Proctor.
6. Why does Giles lose his case accusing Mr. Putnam of making a land grab?
(a) He refuses to identify his witness.
(b) He doesn't have any evidence.
(c) His witnesses are too scared to testify.
(d) He has been bewitched.
7. How are the people in the trial "tested" for witchcraft?
(a) If they dance and the kettle is still they are innocent.
(b) If they dance and the kettle moves they are guilty.
(c) If the girls scream, they are jailed.
(d) If they float in a lake, they are innocent.
8. Why is Hathorne suspicious of Hale?
(a) He believes Hale is trying to help Tituba escape.
(b) He believes Hale contributed to the uprising in Andover.
(c) He thinks Hale is under the devil's spell.
(d) He thinks Hale is a crook.
9. Who says that if John Proctor is executed he will consider himself a murderer?
10. Who claims the list of witnesses is an attack on the court?
(a) Mr. Putnam.
11. In Act 3, Francis complains that he has been ignored for how many days?
12. How old is Mary Warren?
13. In the end of Act 3, someone calls John Proctor "the devil's man" and betrays him. Who is it?
(a) Mary Warren.
(c) Mercy Lewis.
14. Who is the first person in Act 3 to claim to have proof that the girls are lying?
(a) Mr. Putnam.
15. Why won't Danforth pardon the accused?
(a) He says it wouldn't be fair.
(b) He says they must confess first.
(c) He says he doesn't have the power.
(d) He says they are guilty and must die.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the ten commandments does John Proctor forget?
2. Early in Act 3, John Proctor hands Danforth something in court. What is it?
3. Who physically attacks Abigail in court?
4. In Act 2, John Proctor makes a promise to Elizabeth Proctor. What is it?
5. When John Proctor is doubtful of Rebecca Nurse's guilt, Hale reminds him of something. What is it?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)