|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Parris reveal that Abigail disappeared with?
(b) Rebecca Nurse.
(c) Mary Warren.
(d) Mercy Lewis.
2. How are the people in the trial "tested" for witchcraft?
(a) If they dance and the kettle is still they are innocent.
(b) If they float in a lake, they are innocent.
(c) If they dance and the kettle moves they are guilty.
(d) If the girls scream, they are jailed.
3. What were Giles Corey's final words?
(a) "More weight."
(b) "She lies."
(c) "Forgive me."
(d) "More life."
4. In Act 4, Elizabeth tells John that a number of people have already confessed. How many?
(b) One hundred.
(d) Two hundred.
5. Who doesn't believe Mary when she says she created the doll?
(a) Marshall Herrick.
(c) Mrs. Putnam.
6. Why won't Danforth pardon the accused?
(a) He says it wouldn't be fair.
(b) He says they must confess first.
(c) He says he doesn't have the power.
(d) He says they are guilty and must die.
7. Why is Hathorne suspicious of Hale?
(a) He believes Hale contributed to the uprising in Andover.
(b) He believes Hale is trying to help Tituba escape.
(c) He thinks Hale is a crook.
(d) He thinks Hale is under the devil's spell.
8. Why does Elizabeth blame herself for John's infidelity?
(a) She says that she hired Abigail.
(b) She says she wasn't pretty enough.
(c) She says she was frigid toward him.
(d) She says she wasn't home enough.
9. Who says that if John Proctor is executed he will consider himself a murderer?
10. Who tries to calm Giles when he is removed from the vestry?
(b) John Proctor.
(c) Mr. Putnam.
11. Why does Hale ask Danforth to delay the witch trial proceedings?
(a) The plaintiffs don't have proper representation.
(b) The defendants don't have proper representation.
(c) The people on the list are all witches.
(d) The people on the list all need to be questioned.
12. Who claims the list of witnesses is an attack on the court?
(d) Mr. Putnam.
13. When John Proctor gets home from seeding the farm, he learns that Mary has been gone all day. Where was she?
(a) Hiding in the cellar.
(b) In town at the witch trials.
(c) Shopping in a nearby city.
(d) Dancing in the forest.
14. Elizabeth asks that no one mention this word to her children. What is it?
15. Which character is pregnant?
(a) Elizabeth Proctor.
(b) Mary Warren.
(c) Rebecca Nurse.
(d) Mrs. Putnam.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who physically attacks Abigail in court?
2. How old is Mary Warren?
3. What does John Proctor refuse to do for Danforth?
4. How much was stolen from Parris' strongbox?
5. What is Hale doing at the prison in Act 4?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)