|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Early in Act 3, John Proctor hands Danforth something in court. What is it?
(a) A signed deposition.
(b) The deed to Parris' house.
(c) An arrest warrant.
(d) A kettle with a frog in it.
2. What animal does Tituba hear outside of the room she is staying in?
(a) A pig.
(b) A frog.
(c) A cow.
(d) A spider.
3. In Act 2, John Proctor makes a promise to Elizabeth Proctor. What is it?
(a) Not to drink too much.
(b) Never to talk to Abigail again.
(c) To bring her home soon.
(d) To take care of Mary.
4. John Proctor says there is only one thing keeping him from confessing. What is it?
(a) He won't confess until Abigail is executed.
(b) He won't confess until Elizabeth confesses.
(c) He won't confess because he is innocent.
(d) He won't confess out of spite.
5. What is Martha Corey accused of?
(a) Killing a Mrs. Putnam's children.
(b) Cursing Elizabeth Proctor.
(c) Cursing a local farmer's pigs.
(d) Making a Voodoo doll of Abigail.
6. John Proctor says people will admit to anything when this is the alternative. What is it?
7. What is Rebecca Nurse charged with?
(a) The murder of Elizabeth Proctor.
(b) The murder of the Putnam children.
(c) The murder of Giles Corey.
(d) The murder of Ruth and Betty.
8. Who does Parris reveal that Abigail disappeared with?
(a) Mercy Lewis.
(b) Rebecca Nurse.
(c) Mary Warren.
9. Giles regrets telling Hale that his wife did something. What is it?
(a) That his wife reads books.
(b) That his wife goes missing after dinner.
(c) That his wife has been dancing.
(d) That his wife has been hiding dolls.
10. What were Giles Corey's final words?
(a) "She lies."
(b) "More life."
(c) "Forgive me."
(d) "More weight."
11. At the beginning of Act 2, Elizabeth is upset with her husband. Why?
(a) He told Abigail to come to dinner.
(b) He gave Abigail a gift.
(c) He was alone with Abigail.
(d) He was late for dinner.
12. When John Proctor is doubtful of Rebecca Nurse's guilt, Hale reminds him of something. What is it?
(a) That Rebecca Nurse killed those poor children.
(b) That Rebecca Nurse has had conversations with Satan.
(c) The Rebecca Nurse was no angel.
(d) That satan too, was once an angel.
13. How are the people in the trial "tested" for witchcraft?
(a) If they dance and the kettle is still they are innocent.
(b) If they float in a lake, they are innocent.
(c) If the girls scream, they are jailed.
(d) If they dance and the kettle moves they are guilty.
14. How much was stolen from Parris' strongbox?
(a) Thirty-three pounds.
(b) Three hundred pounds.
(c) Thirty-one pounds.
(d) Thirty pounds.
15. How old is Mary Warren?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hale doing at the prison in Act 4?
2. Why is Hathorne suspicious of Hale?
3. Who denounces the court at the end of Act 3?
4. Who says that if John Proctor is executed he will consider himself a murderer?
5. Why won't Danforth pardon the accused?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)