|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hale doing at the prison in Act 4?
(a) Trying to get the girls to come back to the trials with him.
(b) Trying to convince the girls to admit they lied.
(c) Trying to convince the girls to try to escape with him.
(d) Trying to get the girls to confess to save them from execution.
2. John Proctor says people will admit to anything when this is the alternative. What is it?
3. How many people are initially on trial for witchcraft?
4. Who is the first person in Act 3 to claim to have proof that the girls are lying?
(d) Mr. Putnam.
5. Cheever and Herrick arrive at the Proctor's with an arrest warrant. Who is it for?
6. Which one of the girls caught in the forest admits they made it all up?
7. When Mary returns from court, in Act 2 she complains about something. What is it?
(d) A swollen ankle.
8. Early in Act 3, John Proctor hands Danforth something in court. What is it?
(a) The deed to Parris' house.
(b) A kettle with a frog in it.
(c) An arrest warrant.
(d) A signed deposition.
9. Who attacks Mary during the Which trial in Act 2?
(a) Rebecca Nurse.
(c) Goody Osbourne.
(d) Sarah Good.
10. Who is surprised that the people of Salem haven't overthrown the courts already?
11. Giles tries to defend his wife. What does he accuse Mr. Putnam of?
(a) Of having an affair with his wife.
(b) Of using the trial to get land.
(c) Of using the trial to do the deeds of the devil.
(d) Of using the trial to scare children.
12. In the end of Act 3, someone calls John Proctor "the devil's man" and betrays him. Who is it?
(b) Mercy Lewis.
(c) Mary Warren.
13. Who tries to calm Giles when he is removed from the vestry?
(a) Mr. Putnam.
(b) John Proctor.
14. How was Giles Corey tortured?
(a) With fire.
(b) Stoned to death.
(c) With water.
(d) In a press.
15. What is Martha Corey accused of?
(a) Making a Voodoo doll of Abigail.
(b) Cursing a local farmer's pigs.
(c) Killing a Mrs. Putnam's children.
(d) Cursing Elizabeth Proctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't Danforth pardon the accused?
2. Who is worried that Rebecca Nurse and John Proctor will be executed?
3. How are the people in the trial "tested" for witchcraft?
4. Who doesn't believe Mary when she says she created the doll?
5. Why doesn't Elizabeth admit that she fired Abigail for having an affair with her husband?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)