|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Hathorne suspicious of Hale?
(a) He thinks Hale is under the devil's spell.
(b) He thinks Hale is a crook.
(c) He believes Hale contributed to the uprising in Andover.
(d) He believes Hale is trying to help Tituba escape.
2. How are the people in the trial "tested" for witchcraft?
(a) If they float in a lake, they are innocent.
(b) If they dance and the kettle is still they are innocent.
(c) If the girls scream, they are jailed.
(d) If they dance and the kettle moves they are guilty.
3. Danforth complains that Hale has no business in Salem after what he did. What did he do?
(a) Quit the trials.
(b) Demanded more firewood.
(c) Allowed Abigail to trick everyone.
(d) Let his daughter conjure the devil.
4. What animal does Tituba hear outside of the room she is staying in?
(a) A pig.
(b) A frog.
(c) A cow.
(d) A spider.
5. Giles regrets telling Hale that his wife did something. What is it?
(a) That his wife has been dancing.
(b) That his wife has been hiding dolls.
(c) That his wife goes missing after dinner.
(d) That his wife reads books.
6. What does Cheever accuse John Proctor of doing on the Sabbath?
7. What do Abigail and the girls do to scare Mary into denouncing John Proctor?
(a) They threaten to kill her.
(b) They accuse her of conjuring the devil.
(c) They mock her, copying everything she says.
(d) They faint.
8. What does Tituba say she and her "roommate" are doing in the room in Act 4?
(a) Waiting for a visit from Abigail.
(b) Waiting for Hale to bless them.
(c) Waiting for the devil to fly them to Barbados.
(d) Waiting for the jailer to set them free.
9. Who does Parris reveal that Abigail disappeared with?
(a) Mary Warren.
(c) Rebecca Nurse.
(d) Mercy Lewis.
10. What is Rebecca Nurse charged with?
(a) The murder of Elizabeth Proctor.
(b) The murder of Ruth and Betty.
(c) The murder of Giles Corey.
(d) The murder of the Putnam children.
11. Who is Tituba sharing a room with?
(b) Sarah Good.
(c) Goody Osbourne.
(d) Rebecca Nurse.
12. Why does Elizabeth blame herself for John's infidelity?
(a) She says she was frigid toward him.
(b) She says she wasn't home enough.
(c) She says she wasn't pretty enough.
(d) She says that she hired Abigail.
13. John Proctor says there is only one thing keeping him from confessing. What is it?
(a) He won't confess out of spite.
(b) He won't confess until Elizabeth confesses.
(c) He won't confess until Abigail is executed.
(d) He won't confess because he is innocent.
14. When John Proctor gets home from seeding the farm, he learns that Mary has been gone all day. Where was she?
(a) In town at the witch trials.
(b) Dancing in the forest.
(c) Hiding in the cellar.
(d) Shopping in a nearby city.
15. Who is surprised that the people of Salem haven't overthrown the courts already?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is pregnant?
2. When Mary returns from court, in Act 2 she complains about something. What is it?
3. In the end of Act 3, someone calls John Proctor "the devil's man" and betrays him. Who is it?
4. Who orders John Proctor to be executed despite his confession?
5. What surprising thing is learned about Elizabeth Proctor in Act 3?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)