|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character is pregnant?
(a) Elizabeth Proctor.
(b) Mrs. Putnam.
(c) Rebecca Nurse.
(d) Mary Warren.
2. Giles regrets telling Hale that his wife did something. What is it?
(a) That his wife has been hiding dolls.
(b) That his wife reads books.
(c) That his wife goes missing after dinner.
(d) That his wife has been dancing.
3. Cheever and Herrick arrive at the Proctor's with an arrest warrant. Who is it for?
4. What might the community do if Rebecca Nurse and John Proctor are killed?
(a) The people may try to kill more witches.
(b) The people may leave Salem.
(c) The people may riot and overthrow the court.
(d) The people may not pay their taxes.
5. Who denounces the court at the end of Act 3?
6. Early in Act 3, John Proctor hands Danforth something in court. What is it?
(a) The deed to Parris' house.
(b) A kettle with a frog in it.
(c) A signed deposition.
(d) An arrest warrant.
7. Who is the first person in Act 3 to claim to have proof that the girls are lying?
(a) Mr. Putnam.
8. What were Giles Corey's final words?
(a) "More weight."
(b) "Forgive me."
(c) "More life."
(d) "She lies."
9. Why is Herrick acting strangely when he visits Tituba and Sarah Good?
(a) He is drunk.
(b) He is filthy.
(c) He is depressed.
(d) He is angry.
10. How are the people in the trial "tested" for witchcraft?
(a) If they dance and the kettle moves they are guilty.
(b) If they float in a lake, they are innocent.
(c) If the girls scream, they are jailed.
(d) If they dance and the kettle is still they are innocent.
11. How much was stolen from Parris' strongbox?
(a) Thirty pounds.
(b) Thirty-one pounds.
(c) Thirty-three pounds.
(d) Three hundred pounds.
12. Danforth complains that Hale has no business in Salem after what he did. What did he do?
(a) Quit the trials.
(b) Demanded more firewood.
(c) Let his daughter conjure the devil.
(d) Allowed Abigail to trick everyone.
13. What animal does Tituba hear outside of the room she is staying in?
(a) A frog.
(b) A spider.
(c) A pig.
(d) A cow.
14. What are the farmers fighting over when Parris is trying to help them?
(a) Wandering livestock.
(b) Seed prices.
(c) Whether it will rain or not.
(d) Who owns the land.
15. Why does Hale ask Danforth to delay the witch trial proceedings?
(a) The people on the list are all witches.
(b) The defendants don't have proper representation.
(c) The plaintiffs don't have proper representation.
(d) The people on the list all need to be questioned.
Short Answer Questions
1. Danforth asks John Proctor if he has seen Rebecca Nurse with someone. Who is it?
2. When John Proctor gets home from seeding the farm, he learns that Mary has been gone all day. Where was she?
3. What does Tituba say she and her "roommate" are doing in the room in Act 4?
4. What does John Proctor refuse to do for Danforth?
5. Who is surprised that the people of Salem haven't overthrown the courts already?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)