|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Matt tell Luke about Calvin?
2. Daniel thinks Luke lives the life of a _________________.
3. Why is Matt concerned about Luke?
4. While in school, Katie studies ___________________.
5. Who bakes a birthday cake?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was it ever Matt's dream to further his education?
2. How do Marie and Daniel get Katie to see Matt's life in a different light?
3. What is the primary source of conflict between Luke and Matt while growing up?
4. What happens to leave the Morrison children in even more dire financial circumstances?
5. Describe the atmosphere at Matt's house when Katie and Daniel arrive.
6. How are the Morrisons and the Pyes in contrast at this point in time?
7. Why does Katie decide to invite Daniel to the family birthday party?
8. How does Katie think about a meeting with a student and why are her thoughts pulled back to Matt?
9. What does Marie force Katie to come to terms with regarding Matt?
10. How does Katie feel about inviting Daniel to go to Simon's birthday party with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Luke Morrison. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of loss.
Essay Topic 3
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through a series of flashbacks. Why did she choose to tell her story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)