|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rosie Pye's demeanor?
2. Who is Matt's son?
3. Who counseled Luke and Matt about their violent behavior at home?
4. On which farm do Matt and Marie live?
5. What do Matt and Luke argue about prior to the dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Katie unable to go home very often during her first few years at university?
2. What rumor once circulated about Luke and who does Katie think is responsible for it?
3. What is Daniel's state of mind as he gets closer to Katie's family dinner?
4. How is Matt injured in a fight with Luke?
5. What is the source of the fight between Luke and Matt in Chapter 15?
6. How does Katie feel about inviting Daniel to go to Simon's birthday party with her?
7. What happens to leave the Morrison children in even more dire financial circumstances?
8. What does Marie force Katie to come to terms with regarding Matt?
9. Describe the atmosphere at Matt's house when Katie and Daniel arrive.
10. How do Marie and Daniel get Katie to see Matt's life in a different light?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of loss.
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)