|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Marie say killed her brother, Laurie?
2. Who has invited the Morrison children for a holiday meal?
3. To whom does Katie give partial credit for her career choice?
4. Where does Katie ask Matt to take her during the Summer?
5. In Chapter 19 Katie recalls her last spring ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What concerns does Matt share with Luke regarding the Pye children?
2. What does Marie force Katie to come to terms with regarding Matt?
3. What is the primary source of conflict between Luke and Matt while growing up?
4. To what does Katie attribute her choice of studies in college?
5. How does Katie think about a meeting with a student and why are her thoughts pulled back to Matt?
6. What happens to leave the Morrison children in even more dire financial circumstances?
7. What is the source of the fight between Luke and Matt in Chapter 15?
8. How is Matt injured in a fight with Luke?
9. Describe the atmosphere at Matt's house when Katie and Daniel arrive.
10. Describe how things have calmed down in the Morrison household.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Memories take on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
A sub-plot of the story is the abusive relationships between the Pye fathers and sons. What is the ideal father and son relationship? Define the relationship between the Pye fathers and their sons. Why are they so combative? What long-term effect did the relationships have on their lives?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)