Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miss Vernon said that she and ________________ wanted to marry the last two Pye boys.
2. Which of Mr. Morrison's sisters came to stay with the children after their parents were killed?
3. What is Mary Lawson's nationality?
4. Who is the only person who noticed marks on Laurie Pye's back during the fight with the bully?
5. What does Katie wonder about what she saw on the body of the person in #82?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which relative comes to stay with the Morrison children after the deaths of their parents?
2. What does Marie reveal about the tragedies in her family, beginning with Laurie's death?
3. In present day, what does Katie wonder about regarding Calvin Pye?
4. What are the two burgeoning conflicts between Matt and Luke?
5. What does Katie ultimately realize about what was important to Matt?
6. What news does Luke deliver in the last dinner the Morrison family has together?
7. What does Katie remember about writing letters to Aunt Annie?
8. What does Katie overhear regarding Matt during a conversation between Aunt Annie and Miss Carrington?
9. What does the author reveal about why Katie feels guilty about her career?
10. What does Katie recall about the days after her parents' deaths?
Lawson is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Create a brief character study of Matt Morrison. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through a series of flashbacks. Why did she choose to tell her story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)