|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Katie recalls that the people in the community bring ____________ to the children after their parents die.
2. What is Katie doing when Daniel arrives?
3. In Crow Lake the Pye men are known for being _________________.
4. Katie's elder brothers are Luke and _______________.
5. What decision has Luke made?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Morrison children learn that their parents have been killed?
2. Why is Katie so worried that Daniel has found the invitation to Simon's birthday party?
3. What does Katie recall about a fight between Laurie Pye and a school bully one day?
4. What does Katie recall about a visit Miss Carrington made to the house to talk with Luke one day?
5. What does Katie recall about seeing Laurie Pye outside their home one night?
6. What type of work is Luke able to find in order to support the family?
7. How is Aunt Annie's presence accepted in the Morrison household?
8. What are Matt's thoughts regarding the neighbors bringing food and other items to the Morrison kids?
9. Who was Grandmother Morrison and what did she urge her children to do in their lives?
10. What is Mary Lawson's nationality, and how does she write about her native country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lawson uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help her readers see her world from her perspective. Without referring to the book, describe Crow Lake using only your recall of Lawson's descriptions. How do you visualize the Crow Lake and Ontario now that you have read Lawson's CROW LAKE?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Katie spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate her life. What does she think about? What conclusions does she arrive at? Explain why she is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)