|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Matt angry with Luke the next day?
2. Whose photo does Daniel find?
3. Which of the following does NOT describe the funeral clothes of the children?
4. The Morrison family never ____________________.
5. Katie's elder brothers are Luke and _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of work is Luke able to find in order to support the family?
2. What does Katie recall about Laurie Pye's fight in school and what does she wish had happened differently?
3. What ugly secret about the Pye family do the people of Crow Lake choose to ignore?
4. What does Katie remember about writing letters to Aunt Annie?
5. Why is Katie so worried that Daniel has found the invitation to Simon's birthday party?
6. What has prompted Katie to think about her childhood again after so many years?
7. Why did Luke fear for his job at the McLean farm at one point?
8. What does Katie recall about a fight between Laurie Pye and a school bully one day?
9. How did Mr. and Mrs. Morrison deal with their emotions over Luke's happy news?
10. What does Katie recall Miss Vernon telling her about Jackson Pye's sons and her intentions toward one of them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through a series of flashbacks. Why did she choose to tell her story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
Essay Topic 2
Survival seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of survival? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)