|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Luke would be the first of the Morrison family members to __________________.
2. Whose birthday party invitation has Katie received?
3. One of ___________________ sons ran away out of fear of his father's punishment.
4. How will the Morrisons' estate be spent?
5. On whose farm do the Morrison boys work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Katie recall about Laurie Pye's fight in school and what does she wish had happened differently?
2. Why did Luke fear for his job at the McLean farm at one point?
3. How does the author set up a subtle conflict related to Grandmother Morrison and how it will extend to affect Katie and Matt someday.
4. Who is Marie Pye and why is Katie annoyed with her?
5. What ugly secret about the Pye family do the people of Crow Lake choose to ignore?
6. What does Katie tell Daniel when he asks to know more about her family?
7. How is Aunt Annie's presence accepted in the Morrison household?
8. What is Mary Lawson's nationality, and how does she write about her native country?
9. What does Katie overhear regarding Matt during a conversation between Aunt Annie and Miss Carrington?
10. How does the author show the nobility of Luke's character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Survival seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of survival? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Matt Morrison. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Lawson uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help her readers see her world from her perspective. Without referring to the book, describe Crow Lake using only your recall of Lawson's descriptions. How do you visualize the Crow Lake and Ontario now that you have read Lawson's CROW LAKE?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)