|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT waiting for the Morrison children when they return home from swimming?
2. In what country is the story set?
3. What does Katie do with Bo while Luke talks to Miss Carrington?
4. What do the neighbors continue to bring to the Morrison children?
5. What item did Mr. and Mrs. Morrison decide that Luke would need?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Katie remember about writing letters to Aunt Annie?
2. What are Matt's thoughts regarding the neighbors bringing food and other items to the Morrison kids?
3. What is Mary Lawson's nationality, and how does she write about her native country?
4. Which relative comes to stay with the Morrison children after the deaths of their parents?
5. How does the author set up a subtle conflict related to Grandmother Morrison and how it will extend to affect Katie and Matt someday.
6. Why is Katie so worried that Daniel has found the invitation to Simon's birthday party?
7. What news does Luke deliver in the last dinner the Morrison family has together?
8. Who is Marie Pye and why is Katie annoyed with her?
9. What does Katie recall about the days after her parents' deaths?
10. How did Mr. and Mrs. Morrison deal with their emotions over Luke's happy news?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Katie spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate her life. What does she think about? What conclusions does she arrive at? Explain why she is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
Essay Topic 2
How does Lawson use the literary technique of local color in CROW LAKE? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Crow Lake establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)