|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What request does Miss Carrington have for Aunt Annie?
2. Why did the person in #75 walk home with Katie one day?
3. How old will the boy in #16 be on his birthday?
4. Who is the neighbor girl that Matt likes?
5. What is the state of the Morrison house at this point in time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Katie recall about a visit Miss Carrington made to the house to talk with Luke one day?
2. In present day, what does Katie wonder about regarding Calvin Pye?
3. What does Katie tell Daniel when he asks to know more about her family?
4. What type of work is Luke able to find in order to support the family?
5. How does the author set up a subtle conflict related to Grandmother Morrison and how it will extend to affect Katie and Matt someday.
6. Why did Luke fear for his job at the McLean farm at one point?
7. Why is Katie's reluctance to talk about her family a source of tension between Daniel and her?
8. What are the two burgeoning conflicts between Matt and Luke?
9. What decision has Luke made after another visit to see the family attorney?
10. Why is Katie so worried that Daniel has found the invitation to Simon's birthday party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Lawson use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Luke Morrison. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)