|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Katie wonders if Daniel has found ____________________.
2. In what country is Mary Lawson living?
3. What does Luke begin to look for after Aunt Annie leaves?
4. Why is Matt angry with Luke the next day?
5. Who is the youngest of the Morrison children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Katie recall about Laurie Pye's fight in school and what does she wish had happened differently?
2. What does Katie remember about writing letters to Aunt Annie?
3. What decision has Luke made after another visit to see the family attorney?
4. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Katie's recollection of one of Jackson Pye's sons?
5. What arrangements are made for the Morrison children after a meeting with the family lawyer?
6. In present day, what does Katie wonder about regarding Calvin Pye?
7. What are the two burgeoning conflicts between Matt and Luke?
8. What does Katie recall about the days after her parents' deaths?
9. What has prompted Katie to think about her childhood again after so many years?
10. What does Katie overhear regarding Matt during a conversation between Aunt Annie and Miss Carrington?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Katie Morrison. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
A sub-plot of the story is the abusive relationships between the Pye fathers and sons. What is the ideal father and son relationship? Define the relationship between the Pye fathers and their sons. Why are they so combative? What long-term effect did the relationships have on their lives?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)