|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Matt angry with Luke the next day?
2. Who is the local school teacher who comes by to talk to Aunt Annie?
3. One of ___________________ sons ran away out of fear of his father's punishment.
4. What prompts Katie to think about her past in Chapter 2?
5. Matt tries to reassure Katie that he will be on a farm that is only ____________ miles from where she will be living.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mr. and Mrs. Morrison deal with their emotions over Luke's happy news?
2. What does Katie recall about a visit Miss Carrington made to the house to talk with Luke one day?
3. How does the author show the nobility of Luke's character?
4. How are the Morrisons and the Pyes in contrast at this point in time?
5. What is the primary source of conflict between Luke and Matt while growing up?
6. What happens to leave the Morrison children in even more dire financial circumstances?
7. What decision has Luke made after another visit to see the family attorney?
8. Which relative comes to stay with the Morrison children after the deaths of their parents?
9. What concerns does Matt share with Luke regarding the Pye children?
10. What does the author reveal about why Katie feels guilty about her career?
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Luke Morrison. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Matt Morrison. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
This section contains 1,726 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)