|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who made sexual advances toward Luke?
2. What is Sally's last name?
3. How old will the boy in #16 be on his birthday?
4. What do the neighbors continue to bring to the Morrison children?
5. Where is the Morrison funeral held?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision has Luke made after another visit to see the family attorney?
2. What does Katie tell Daniel when he asks to know more about her family?
3. What does Katie recall about seeing Laurie Pye outside their home one night?
4. How is Aunt Annie's presence accepted in the Morrison household?
5. What are the two burgeoning conflicts between Matt and Luke?
6. Who was Grandmother Morrison and what did she urge her children to do in their lives?
7. What does Katie overhear regarding Matt during a conversation between Aunt Annie and Miss Carrington?
8. Why is Katie so worried that Daniel has found the invitation to Simon's birthday party?
9. What are Matt's thoughts regarding the neighbors bringing food and other items to the Morrison kids?
10. What does Katie recall about Laurie Pye's fight in school and what does she wish had happened differently?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Survival seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of survival? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of loss.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)