|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Katie recalls Daniel asking her many times about ________________.
2. Matt insists that there is nothing wrong with _____________ women.
3. Where had Luke gone without the knowledge of the other family members?
4. Katie wonders if Daniel has found ____________________.
5. Who is the local school teacher who comes by to talk to Aunt Annie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Katie tell Daniel when he asks to know more about her family?
2. What are the two burgeoning conflicts between Matt and Luke?
3. Why is Katie so worried that Daniel has found the invitation to Simon's birthday party?
4. What is Mary Lawson's nationality, and how does she write about her native country?
5. What are Matt's thoughts regarding the neighbors bringing food and other items to the Morrison kids?
6. What does Katie recall about a visit Miss Carrington made to the house to talk with Luke one day?
7. Who is Marie Pye and why is Katie annoyed with her?
8. What arrangements are made for the Morrison children after a meeting with the family lawyer?
9. How do the Morrison children learn that their parents have been killed?
10. What does Katie remember about writing letters to Aunt Annie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Katie spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate her life. What does she think about? What conclusions does she arrive at? Explain why she is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
Essay Topic 2
How does Lawson use the literary technique of local color in CROW LAKE? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Crow Lake establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of the passage of time will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)