|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the present, Katie wonders if things might have turned out differently if someone had done something about ____________________.
2. Katie thinks that _______________ most resembles Grandmother Morrison.
3. Which of Mr. Morrison's sisters came to stay with the children after their parents were killed?
4. Which of Jackson Pye's sons remained at home?
5. What does Katie recall seeing on the body of the person in #82 on the day of the fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Katie's reluctance to talk about her family a source of tension between Daniel and her?
2. Which relative comes to stay with the Morrison children after the deaths of their parents?
3. What type of work is Luke able to find in order to support the family?
4. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Katie's recollection of one of Jackson Pye's sons?
5. Why is Katie so worried that Daniel has found the invitation to Simon's birthday party?
6. What ugly secret about the Pye family do the people of Crow Lake choose to ignore?
7. Who was Grandmother Morrison and what did she urge her children to do in their lives?
8. How does the author set up a subtle conflict related to Grandmother Morrison and how it will extend to affect Katie and Matt someday.
9. What does Katie recall about a fight between Laurie Pye and a school bully one day?
10. Who is Marie Pye and why is Katie annoyed with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Matt Morrison. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)