|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Morrison family never ____________________.
2. Why did Calvin Pye live with his father for so long?
3. Who made sexual advances toward Luke?
4. What does Katie recall about the person in #82 beating the school bully?
5. Why is Matt angry with Luke the next day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Katie recall about the days after her parents' deaths?
2. How does Katie feel about Matt's life and who does she blame for it?
3. How does Katie think about a meeting with a student and why are her thoughts pulled back to Matt?
4. What are the two burgeoning conflicts between Matt and Luke?
5. What rumor once circulated about Luke and who does Katie think is responsible for it?
6. Which relative comes to stay with the Morrison children after the deaths of their parents?
7. Describe the atmosphere at Matt's house when Katie and Daniel arrive.
8. What does Katie recall Miss Vernon telling her about Jackson Pye's sons and her intentions toward one of them?
9. Why was Katie unable to go home very often during her first few years at university?
10. What does a strong thought of Matt drive Katie to do while in the classroom one day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Survival seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of survival? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Luke, Matt, Katie and Bo. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 3
A sub-plot of the story is the abusive relationships between the Pye fathers and sons. What is the ideal father and son relationship? Define the relationship between the Pye fathers and their sons. Why are they so combative? What long-term effect did the relationships have on their lives?
This section contains 1,651 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)