|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the neighbor girl that Matt likes?
2. What item did Mr. and Mrs. Morrison decide that Luke would need?
3. Which of Jackson Pye's sons remained at home?
4. Which of Mr. Morrison's sisters came to stay with the children after their parents were killed?
5. What has caused some friction between Katie and her current boyfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Katie recall about seeing Laurie Pye outside their home one night?
2. What are the two burgeoning conflicts between Matt and Luke?
3. What does Katie recall about a fight between Laurie Pye and a school bully one day?
4. What does a strong thought of Matt drive Katie to do while in the classroom one day?
5. How do the Morrison children learn that their parents have been killed?
6. Was it ever Matt's dream to further his education?
7. What does Marie reveal about the tragedies in her family, beginning with Laurie's death?
8. What is the source of the fight between Luke and Matt in Chapter 15?
9. What does Marie force Katie to come to terms with regarding Matt?
10. How does Katie think about a meeting with a student and why are her thoughts pulled back to Matt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Survival seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of survival? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
A sub-plot of the story is the abusive relationships between the Pye fathers and sons. What is the ideal father and son relationship? Define the relationship between the Pye fathers and their sons. Why are they so combative? What long-term effect did the relationships have on their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Lawson's writing style. How is she different from other writers of her time? What are some of her characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of her style in CROW LAKE.
This section contains 1,693 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)