|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Katie recalls that the people in the community bring ____________ to the children after their parents die.
2. What has caused some friction between Katie and her current boyfriend?
3. Who is Katie's current boyfriend?
4. Why is Matt angry with Luke the next day?
5. Where had Luke gone without the knowledge of the other family members?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mr. and Mrs. Morrison deal with their emotions over Luke's happy news?
2. What does Katie tell Daniel when he asks to know more about her family?
3. What does Katie recall about seeing Laurie Pye outside their home one night?
4. What decision has Luke made after another visit to see the family attorney?
5. What does Katie remember about writing letters to Aunt Annie?
6. What does Katie recall Miss Vernon telling her about Jackson Pye's sons and her intentions toward one of them?
7. What type of work is Luke able to find in order to support the family?
8. What has prompted Katie to think about her childhood again after so many years?
9. How is Aunt Annie's presence accepted in the Morrison household?
10. What does Katie recall about Laurie Pye's fight in school and what does she wish had happened differently?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through a series of flashbacks. Why did she choose to tell her story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Lawson use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)