|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Katie thinks that _______________ most resembles Grandmother Morrison.
2. Matt tries to reassure Katie that he will be on a farm that is only ____________ miles from where she will be living.
3. Which of Jackson Pye's sons remained at home?
4. Why does Luke want to work in the late afternoons?
5. Why did Miss Vernon's sister not marry Henry Pye?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Katie recall Miss Vernon telling her about Jackson Pye's sons and her intentions toward one of them?
2. What does Katie overhear regarding Matt during a conversation between Aunt Annie and Miss Carrington?
3. Who was Grandmother Morrison and what did she urge her children to do in their lives?
4. Why did the Vernon sisters not marry the Pye brothers and what eventually happened to Henry and Calvin?
5. What are the two burgeoning conflicts between Matt and Luke?
6. Which relative comes to stay with the Morrison children after the deaths of their parents?
7. What type of work is Luke able to find in order to support the family?
8. How is Aunt Annie's presence accepted in the Morrison household?
9. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Katie's recollection of one of Jackson Pye's sons?
10. How does the author show the nobility of Luke's character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through a series of flashbacks. Why did she choose to tell her story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of loss.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Lawson's writing style. How is she different from other writers of her time? What are some of her characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of her style in CROW LAKE.
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)