|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sally is the daughter of ___________________.
2. What does Katie recall seeing on the body of the person in #82 on the day of the fight?
3. What did Daniel do at the beginning of his relationship with Katie?
4. What does Katie wonder about what she saw on the body of the person in #82?
5. Katie recalls a fight between the school bully and __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Grandmother Morrison and what did she urge her children to do in their lives?
2. What does Katie recall about the days after her parents' deaths?
3. What has prompted Katie to think about her childhood again after so many years?
4. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Katie's recollection of one of Jackson Pye's sons?
5. What does Katie recall Miss Vernon telling her about Jackson Pye's sons and her intentions toward one of them?
6. How does the author set up a subtle conflict related to Grandmother Morrison and how it will extend to affect Katie and Matt someday.
7. What ugly secret about the Pye family do the people of Crow Lake choose to ignore?
8. What does Katie remember about writing letters to Aunt Annie?
9. What does Katie tell Daniel when he asks to know more about her family?
10. What does Katie recall about a visit Miss Carrington made to the house to talk with Luke one day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through a series of flashbacks. Why did she choose to tell her story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
Essay Topic 2
Lawson uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help her readers see her world from her perspective. Without referring to the book, describe Crow Lake using only your recall of Lawson's descriptions. How do you visualize the Crow Lake and Ontario now that you have read Lawson's CROW LAKE?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Katie Morrison. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)