|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miss Vernon said that she and ________________ wanted to marry the last two Pye boys.
2. Which of Mr. Morrison's sisters came to stay with the children after their parents were killed?
3. What is Mary Lawson's nationality?
4. Who is the only person who noticed marks on Laurie Pye's back during the fight with the bully?
5. What does Katie wonder about what she saw on the body of the person in #82?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which relative comes to stay with the Morrison children after the deaths of their parents?
2. What does Marie reveal about the tragedies in her family, beginning with Laurie's death?
3. In present day, what does Katie wonder about regarding Calvin Pye?
4. What are the two burgeoning conflicts between Matt and Luke?
5. What does Katie ultimately realize about what was important to Matt?
6. What news does Luke deliver in the last dinner the Morrison family has together?
7. What does Katie remember about writing letters to Aunt Annie?
8. What does Katie overhear regarding Matt during a conversation between Aunt Annie and Miss Carrington?
9. What does the author reveal about why Katie feels guilty about her career?
10. What does Katie recall about the days after her parents' deaths?
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
A sub-plot of the story is the abusive relationships between the Pye fathers and sons. What is the ideal father and son relationship? Define the relationship between the Pye fathers and their sons. Why are they so combative? What long-term effect did the relationships have on their lives?
This section contains 1,680 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)