|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Aunt Annie refuse Miss Carrington's request?
2. In the present, Katie wonders if things might have turned out differently if someone had done something about ____________________.
3. Which of Jackson Pye's sons remained at home?
4. What does Katie recall about the person in #82 beating the school bully?
5. What did the boy do that made him fear his father's punishment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mr. and Mrs. Morrison deal with their emotions over Luke's happy news?
2. What arrangements are made for the Morrison children after a meeting with the family lawyer?
3. Who is Marie Pye and why is Katie annoyed with her?
4. Which relative comes to stay with the Morrison children after the deaths of their parents?
5. How does the author set up a subtle conflict related to Grandmother Morrison and how it will extend to affect Katie and Matt someday.
6. In present day, what does Katie wonder about regarding Calvin Pye?
7. What ugly secret about the Pye family do the people of Crow Lake choose to ignore?
8. What does Katie recall about Laurie Pye's fight in school and what does she wish had happened differently?
9. Why did the Vernon sisters not marry the Pye brothers and what eventually happened to Henry and Calvin?
10. What does Katie recall about a visit Miss Carrington made to the house to talk with Luke one day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
A sub-plot of the story is the abusive relationships between the Pye fathers and sons. What is the ideal father and son relationship? Define the relationship between the Pye fathers and their sons. Why are they so combative? What long-term effect did the relationships have on their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Matt Morrison. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)