|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because Katie is always reluctant to talk about her past, Daniel claims that she _______________________.
2. Miss Vernon said that she and ________________ wanted to marry the last two Pye boys.
3. Whose birthday party invitation has Katie received?
4. How old is Katie when her parents die?
5. Why does Matt take Katie and their younger sister to the ponds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Katie overhear regarding Matt during a conversation between Aunt Annie and Miss Carrington?
2. How did Mr. and Mrs. Morrison deal with their emotions over Luke's happy news?
3. What ugly secret about the Pye family do the people of Crow Lake choose to ignore?
4. What does Katie remember about writing letters to Aunt Annie?
5. What does Katie recall about a fight between Laurie Pye and a school bully one day?
6. How does the author set up a subtle conflict related to Grandmother Morrison and how it will extend to affect Katie and Matt someday.
7. Why is Katie's reluctance to talk about her family a source of tension between Daniel and her?
8. What type of work is Luke able to find in order to support the family?
9. What news does Luke deliver in the last dinner the Morrison family has together?
10. Why did the Vernon sisters not marry the Pye brothers and what eventually happened to Henry and Calvin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lawson is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
A sub-plot of the story is the abusive relationships between the Pye fathers and sons. What is the ideal father and son relationship? Define the relationship between the Pye fathers and their sons. Why are they so combative? What long-term effect did the relationships have on their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Katie Morrison. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)