|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose garden does Katie weed during her high school years?
2. The Morrison family never ____________________.
3. Katie wonders if Daniel has found ____________________.
4. Why does Aunt Annie refuse Miss Carrington's request?
5. As a child, Katie often wrote letters to __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Grandmother Morrison and what did she urge her children to do in their lives?
2. What does Katie recall about the days after her parents' deaths?
3. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Katie's recollection of one of Jackson Pye's sons?
4. Why did Luke fear for his job at the McLean farm at one point?
5. What type of work is Luke able to find in order to support the family?
6. What are Matt's thoughts regarding the neighbors bringing food and other items to the Morrison kids?
7. What are the two burgeoning conflicts between Matt and Luke?
8. How is Aunt Annie's presence accepted in the Morrison household?
9. What does Katie recall about a fight between Laurie Pye and a school bully one day?
10. What arrangements are made for the Morrison children after a meeting with the family lawyer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Lawson use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
A sub-plot of the story is the abusive relationships between the Pye fathers and sons. What is the ideal father and son relationship? Define the relationship between the Pye fathers and their sons. Why are they so combative? What long-term effect did the relationships have on their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Luke Morrison. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)