|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the state of the Morrison house at this point in time?
2. What item is Katie told to prepare for supper?
3. The presence of the person in #30 causes ________________ in the house for Luke and Matt.
4. What is Mary Lawson's nationality?
5. Miss Vernon said that she and ________________ wanted to marry the last two Pye boys.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Katie recall Miss Vernon telling her about Jackson Pye's sons and her intentions toward one of them?
2. How did Mr. and Mrs. Morrison deal with their emotions over Luke's happy news?
3. What has prompted Katie to think about her childhood again after so many years?
4. Which relative comes to stay with the Morrison children after the deaths of their parents?
5. What does Katie overhear regarding Matt during a conversation between Aunt Annie and Miss Carrington?
6. In present day, what does Katie wonder about regarding Calvin Pye?
7. What ugly secret about the Pye family do the people of Crow Lake choose to ignore?
8. How is Aunt Annie's presence accepted in the Morrison household?
9. What does Katie remember about writing letters to Aunt Annie?
10. What does Katie tell Daniel when he asks to know more about her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lawson uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help her readers see her world from her perspective. Without referring to the book, describe Crow Lake using only your recall of Lawson's descriptions. How do you visualize the Crow Lake and Ontario now that you have read Lawson's CROW LAKE?
Essay Topic 2
Survival seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of survival? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Luke Morrison. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)