|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose birthday party invitation has Katie received?
2. Who walked home with Katie one day?
3. What does Matt urge Katie to bring to the party?
4. What is the marital status of the person in #30?
5. Because Katie is always reluctant to talk about her past, Daniel claims that she _______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mary Lawson's nationality, and how does she write about her native country?
2. Who was Grandmother Morrison and what did she urge her children to do in their lives?
3. What does Katie recall Miss Vernon telling her about Jackson Pye's sons and her intentions toward one of them?
4. What are Matt's thoughts regarding the neighbors bringing food and other items to the Morrison kids?
5. Why is Katie's reluctance to talk about her family a source of tension between Daniel and her?
6. Which relative comes to stay with the Morrison children after the deaths of their parents?
7. How do the Morrison children learn that their parents have been killed?
8. What decision has Luke made after another visit to see the family attorney?
9. What ugly secret about the Pye family do the people of Crow Lake choose to ignore?
10. What does Katie overhear regarding Matt during a conversation between Aunt Annie and Miss Carrington?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Luke, Matt, Katie and Bo. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of the passage of time will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Katie Morrison. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)