|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the local school teacher who comes by to talk to Aunt Annie?
(a) Miss Gerard.
(b) Miss Carrington.
(c) Miss Avery.
(d) Mrs. Cunningham.
2. Which of the following were NOT neighbors of the Morrison family?
(a) Stanley Vernon.
(b) Frank Janie.
(c) Jackson Pye.
(d) Barry Galloway.
3. What is Luke's perception of the neighbors' generosity?
(a) He hates it.
(b) He is grateful for it.
(c) He is embarrassed.
(d) He is greedy.
4. What is Luke's plan for Matt?
(a) He will go to college.
(b) He will take care of Katie.
(c) He will marry Sara.
(d) He will take over the family farm.
5. Many of the Morrison family members still lived in _______________.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old will the boy in #16 be on his birthday?
2. Which of the following is NOT waiting for the Morrison children when they return home from swimming?
3. Who arrives at the Morrison house as Miss Carrington is leaving?
4. Katie recalls that the people in the community bring ____________ to the children after their parents die.
5. Why did Luke rebuff the sexual advances?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author show the nobility of Luke's character?
2. What does Katie overhear regarding Matt during a conversation between Aunt Annie and Miss Carrington?
3. Why is Katie's reluctance to talk about her family a source of tension between Daniel and her?
4. What is Mary Lawson's nationality, and how does she write about her native country?
5. What ugly secret about the Pye family do the people of Crow Lake choose to ignore?
6. What does Katie remember about writing letters to Aunt Annie?
7. What has prompted Katie to think about her childhood again after so many years?
8. What does Katie recall about a fight between Laurie Pye and a school bully one day?
9. What does Katie recall about Laurie Pye's fight in school and what does she wish had happened differently?
10. How does the author set up a subtle conflict related to Grandmother Morrison and how it will extend to affect Katie and Matt someday.
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)