|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What decision has Luke made?
(a) He will be going to a college further away.
(b) He is going to marry Avery.
(c) He will remain and take care of the girls.
(d) He is going to sell the farm.
2. Which of the following does NOT describe the funeral clothes of the children?
3. Why did Miss Vernon's sister not marry Henry Pye?
(a) He left her at the altar.
(b) She went away to school instead.
(c) His father would not allow it.
(d) She did not love him.
4. Why is Matt angry with Luke the next day?
(a) Luke kisses a girl.
(b) Luke wears his best shirt.
(c) Luke eats his lunch.
(d) Luke misses work.
5. Why did Luke rebuff the sexual advances?
(a) He was not ready for a relationship.
(b) He did not care for the girl.
(c) He feared he would lose his job.
(d) He was in love with someone else.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Jackson Pye's sons remained at home?
2. What is Luke's perception of the neighbors' generosity?
3. Who is Art Pye's son?
4. Miss Vernon said that she and ________________ wanted to marry the last two Pye boys.
5. Why does Matt take Katie and their younger sister to the ponds?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Katie decide to invite Daniel to the family birthday party?
2. What decision has Luke made after another visit to see the family attorney?
3. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Katie's recollection of one of Jackson Pye's sons?
4. Describe the atmosphere at Matt's house when Katie and Daniel arrive.
5. Why does no one in the town pay much attention when they hear that Laurie Pye has run away?
6. What does a strong thought of Matt drive Katie to do while in the classroom one day?
7. What is Daniel's state of mind as he gets closer to Katie's family dinner?
8. How does Katie feel about inviting Daniel to go to Simon's birthday party with her?
9. How is Matt injured in a fight with Luke?
10. What does Katie recall about a fight between Laurie Pye and a school bully one day?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)