|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sally is the daughter of ___________________.
(a) Calvin Pye.
(b) Sheriff McClintock.
(c) Luke's boss.
(d) Rev. McAllister.
2. Where did Katie grow up?
(b) Crow Lake.
3. Katie recalls a fight between the school bully and __________________.
(a) Mike Kerrigan.
(b) James Hall.
(c) Laurie Pye.
(d) David Trimble.
4. Why are the Morrison children to be separated?
(a) Their parents' will dictates that arrangement.
(b) They are going to live with separate relatives.
(c) There is not enough money to keep them together.
(d) They are going to different orphanages.
5. Katie recalls Daniel asking her many times about ________________.
(a) her job.
(b) her family.
(c) her religion.
(d) her education.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT one of Calvin's children?
2. Where does Luke work on the weekends?
3. Whose garden does Katie weed during her high school years?
4. Who is the local school teacher who comes by to talk to Aunt Annie?
5. Matt tells Katie that the neighbors bring items to the Morrison children because Luke ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author show the nobility of Luke's character?
2. Why is Katie's reluctance to talk about her family a source of tension between Daniel and her?
3. How does the author set up a subtle conflict related to Grandmother Morrison and how it will extend to affect Katie and Matt someday.
4. What type of work is Luke able to find in order to support the family?
5. What has prompted Katie to think about her childhood again after so many years?
6. What does Katie recall Miss Vernon telling her about Jackson Pye's sons and her intentions toward one of them?
7. What does Katie recall about the days after her parents' deaths?
8. How did Mr. and Mrs. Morrison deal with their emotions over Luke's happy news?
9. What does Katie recall about Laurie Pye's fight in school and what does she wish had happened differently?
10. Which relative comes to stay with the Morrison children after the deaths of their parents?
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)