|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Jackson Pye's sons remained at home?
(a) Wade and Harley.
(b) Michael and Art.
(c) Henry and Art.
(d) Henry and David.
2. What did Daniel do at the beginning of his relationship with Katie?
(a) Gave her a key to his apartment.
(b) Introduced her to his family.
(c) Let her move in with him.
(d) Brought her flowers every day.
3. Whose garden does Katie weed during her high school years?
(a) Mrs. Lowell's.
(b) Miss Vernon's.
(c) Miss Piper's.
(d) Mrs. Gustafson's.
4. As a child, Katie often wrote letters to __________________.
(a) Grandmother Morrison.
(b) Laurie Pye.
(c) Miss Carrington.
(d) Aunt Annie.
5. Who is the only person who noticed marks on Laurie Pye's back during the fight with the bully?
(c) Miss Carrington.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Luke want to work in the late afternoons?
2. What prompts Katie to think about her past in Chapter 2?
3. What refreshment does Katie prepare for the school teacher's visit?
4. What did the boy do that made him fear his father's punishment?
5. Who is Laurie Pye's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision has Luke made after another visit to see the family attorney?
2. How does the author set up a subtle conflict related to Grandmother Morrison and how it will extend to affect Katie and Matt someday.
3. What news does Luke deliver in the last dinner the Morrison family has together?
4. What does Katie recall about a visit Miss Carrington made to the house to talk with Luke one day?
5. What are Matt's thoughts regarding the neighbors bringing food and other items to the Morrison kids?
6. What does Katie overhear regarding Matt during a conversation between Aunt Annie and Miss Carrington?
7. What arrangements are made for the Morrison children after a meeting with the family lawyer?
8. What does Katie recall Miss Vernon telling her about Jackson Pye's sons and her intentions toward one of them?
9. How do the Morrison children learn that their parents have been killed?
10. What are the two burgeoning conflicts between Matt and Luke?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)