|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Old John Hatcher tell Johnston would pay big money for Indian scalps?
2. What was the Flathead greeting for a visiting relative?
3. What did Johnston do to the Crow horses in Chapter 7?
4. Which of the following is not a characteristic for which Johnston was known?
5. What happened to Mrs. Morgan as a result of the Indian attack on her family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Captain Jack and what was his relationship to Mariano Modeno?
2. Why did Johnston have to take charity toward the end of his life?
3. Why did John Hatcher scalp Indians and how did John Johnston first encounter scalping?
4. How did the Crow Indians become a laughingstock among other Indian nations and what did Big Robert, the Crow chief, do in response to the mocking of his tribe?
5. How did John Johnston first meet Old John Hatcher and what business partnership did the two men forge?
6. Who was Mariano Modeno and what was his relationship to John Johnston?
7. What was Johnston's opinion of Buffalo Bill Cody and how did Johnston meet Cody?
8. In what ways was John Johnston typical for a Mountain Man of his era and in what ways was he atypical for a Mountain Man of his era?
9. In Chapter 6, what kind of reputation did Johnston have in town after he became "the Crow Killer"?
10. How did Johnston prepare his cabin for the winter in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss John Johnson's character flaws and strengths. How do his flaws hinder him in dealing with the conflicts in his relationships and in his historical era? How do his strengths help him in dealing with the conflicts in his relationships and in his historical era? Is his violence typical or atypical for his historical era? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of survival in Crow Killer: The Legend of Liver-Eating Johnson. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss John Johnston's relationship with Crazy Woman Morgan. What does this relationship indicate about Johnston? How does his relationship with the mentally unbalanced woman help bring an end to Johnston's vendetta against the Crow? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)