|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color horse did Joe Robidoux sell Johnston?
2. On the banks of what river did Johnston first encounter Old John Hatcher?
3. What color was John Johnston's hair?
4. How did Johnston prepare his cabin for the winter in Chapter 9?
5. How did the Flathead Indians get their flat foreheads?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did John Johnston seek vengeance against the Crow Indians?
2. Discuss Johnston's trek back to his cabin after escaping his Blackfoot captors.
3. How did Johnston prepare his cabin for the winter in Chapter 9?
4. What was ironic about Johnston's capturing the Sioux for Chief Black Eagle in Chapter 24?
5. How did Johnston identify Bear Claw Chris Lapp's killers?
6. Why did Johnston ultimately resign from his deputy position in Custer County?
7. When Johnston became a deputy sheriff in Custer County, Colorado, in what ways was he effective as a lawman and in what ways was he ineffective as a lawman?
8. How did Johnston get into trouble with the sheriff in Leadville, Colorado?
9. Discuss Johnston's relationship with The Swan.
10. Who was Sam Grant and how did he encounter John Johnston?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the life of mountain men in the Rocky Mountains during John Johnston's lifetime. In what ways was Johnston's life typical and in what ways was it atypical for a mountain man? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of revenge in Raymond Thorp's book Crow Killer: The Legend of Liver-Eating Johnson. How is this theme illustrated in John Johnson's life? How is the theme illustrated in the response of the Crow Indians to Johnson's desire for revenge against them? What do you think the author is saying about revenge in this book? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Portuguese Phillips' ride to Fort Laramie in 1866 for reinforcements for Colonel Carrington. How did John Johnston assist Phillips in his mission? What does the situation Colonel Carrington faced at Fort Phil Kearny illustrate about the tensions between Indians and the US army during that era?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)