|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nickname did Johnston and his Mountain Men friends give to the newcomers to the western frontier in Chapter 25: Burial for Bear Claw?
(a) Eastern Eagles.
(c) Eastern Injuns.
(d) Pilgrim tenderfoots.
2. Why did the son of the Shoshoni chief Wahni seek out Johnston?
(a) To trade horses with him.
(b) To get Johnston's help in avenging his father's death.
(c) To challenge Johnston in battle.
(d) To trade furs with him.
3. Why was Fort Kearney of particular abhorrence to the Sioux?
(a) The fort's commanding officer was cruel to Indians.
(b) The fort's trading post would not sell to the Sioux.
(c) The soldiers in the fort greatly outnumbered the Sioux.
(d) Its construction broke government promises.
4. What was Johnston's only food on the long trail from the Blackfoot camp back to his own camp?
(a) A few chaws of tobacco and some coffee beans.
(b) Grass and berries.
(c) The few fish he caught en route.
(d) The leg he had taken from his guard.
5. Which Sioux chief's spirit was broken after the battle at Wolf Mountain?
(a) Red Cloud.
(b) Crazy Horse.
(c) Sitting Bull.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Gray Bear?
2. Which of the following statements does not describe the bowl of soup an old woman brought Johnston while he was held captive by the Blackfoot Indians?
3. Which of the following were not Mountain Men friends of John Johnston?
4. In Chapter 25: Burial for Bear Claw, when Del Gue heard a rifle shot in the distance, how did Johnston deduce that the shot wasn't fired by Bear Claw Chris Lapp?
5. What honorary title did the Shoshoni give Johnston?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)