|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Mrs. Morgan as a result of the Indian attack on her family?
(a) She went blind.
(b) She went back east to Boston where it was safer.
(c) She lost her mind.
(d) She killed herself out of grief.
2. How did Johnston prepare his cabin for the winter in Chapter 9?
(a) He installed glass windowpanes.
(b) He put buffalo robes on the walls and bear rugs on the floor.
(c) He fixed the holes in the roof.
(d) He added a second fireplace.
3. What did John Johnston do to the Crows as a result of what they had done to his wife?
(a) He preached to them, urging them to repent.
(b) He kidnapped their chief for vengeance.
(c) He killed and scalped them and ate their livers raw.
(d) He had a party for them.
4. What did Johnston have to do to his own horse at the beginning of Chapter 8 because he had pushed it so hard?
(a) Leave it on the prairie to rest and eat.
(b) Sell it.
(c) Shoot it.
(d) Trade it to the Indians.
5. What language was Bear's Head surprised to learn that Johnston could speak besides English?
(a) The Crow tongue.
(b) The Flathead tongue.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe what Old John Hatcher looked like when Johnston first met him?
2. Which of Johnston's Mountain Men friends passed down the oral history of his exploits and kept his legend alive?
3. How did Johnston identify the Crow Indians as The Swan's killers?
4. What item buried with the bones of Johnston's wife and baby revealed that the Crow were responsible for the deaths of Johnston's family?
5. What relationship did John Johnston have to Bear's Head, the Flathead chief?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Crow Indians become a laughingstock among other Indian nations and what did Big Robert, the Crow chief, do in response to the mocking of his tribe?
2. Why did John Hatcher scalp Indians and how did John Johnston first encounter scalping?
3. In what ways did the lives of both the Indians and the Mountain Men change forever in 1876-77?
4. How did whiskey lead to Johnston's freedom when he was captured by the Blackfoot Indians?
5. How did the Mountain Men's Springfield rifles differ from their old Hawken rifles?
6. How did Johnston get into trouble with the sheriff in Leadville, Colorado?
7. In what ways was John Johnston typical for a Mountain Man of his era and in what ways was he atypical for a Mountain Man of his era?
8. Describe Johnston's physical appearance and discuss how it contributed to his legend.
9. What baking talent of Johnston's led to his killing of the twentieth Crow sent to hunt him down and how did Johnston defeat this warrior?
10. Who was Waving Grass and why did she get abandoned on the prairie?
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)