|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What items did Johnston bring to the trading post to trade once he began his vendetta against the Crow?
(a) Furs and Crow scalps.
(b) Clothing and beadwork and leather stolen from the Crow.
(c) Crow horses.
(d) Beaver pelts and bullets.
2. What did John Johnston do to the Crows as a result of what they had done to his wife?
(a) He preached to them, urging them to repent.
(b) He killed and scalped them and ate their livers raw.
(c) He kidnapped their chief for vengeance.
(d) He had a party for them.
3. What result did Johnston's fame have on Indians who ambushed him?
(a) They mocked him.
(b) They doubted the truth of his reputation and wanted to test it.
(c) They greatly feared him.
(d) They respected him.
4. What color horse did Joe Robidoux sell Johnston?
5. What does the Crow term Dapiek Absaroka mean?
(b) Honored friend.
(c) Beloved son.
(d) The Killer of Crows.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe what Old John Hatcher looked like when Johnston first met him?
2. What happened to Mrs. Morgan as a result of the Indian attack on her family?
3. With what weapon did Mrs. Morgan fight off the Indians who attacked her family?
4. What was the trapping like at the place where Joe Robidoux advised Johnston to trap?
5. What nickname was given to Johnston in 1848?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was The Wolf and what was his relationship with John Johnston?
2. How did Johnston identify Bear Claw Chris Lapp's killers?
3. When Johnston became a deputy sheriff in Custer County, Colorado, in what ways was he effective as a lawman and in what ways was he ineffective as a lawman?
4. How did the Crow Indians become a laughingstock among other Indian nations and what did Big Robert, the Crow chief, do in response to the mocking of his tribe?
5. Why did Wahni's son want Johnston's help against the Nez Perce?
6. How did Johnston use biscuits to defeat twenty-nine Blackfoot Indians who surrounded his cabin?
7. How did Johnston become Del Gue's partner after having been John Hatcher's partner in fur trading?
8. Discuss Johnston's relationship with The Swan.
9. Why did Johnston have to take charity toward the end of his life?
10. Who was Mariano Modeno and what was his relationship to John Johnston?
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)