|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe what Old John Hatcher looked like when Johnston first met him?
(a) Over six feet in height and two hundred pounds in weight.
(b) Dressed in buckskin and moccasins.
(c) Long blonde hair and a beard.
(d) Dressed in a black frock coat and shiny black boots.
2. Where did Joe Robidoux let Johnston sleep in his store?
(a) On a couple of quilts on the floor.
(b) On the countertop.
(c) On a dirty mattress in the back storeroom.
(d) On grain bags filled with corn shucks on the floor.
3. What language was Bear's Head surprised to learn that Johnston could speak besides English?
(b) The Flathead tongue.
(d) The Crow tongue.
4. How did Johnston respond when a river tramp tried to rob him upon his disembarking from the steamer that brought him west?
(a) He shot the tramp.
(b) He called for the sheriff.
(c) He knocked the tramp down.
(d) He fainted.
5. What nickname was given to Johnston in 1848?
(a) Liver-Eating Johnston.
(b) Lonely Johnston.
(c) Crazy Johnston.
(d) Crow Hater.
Short Answer Questions
1. What result did Johnston's fame have on Indians who ambushed him?
2. What did John Johnston give The Swan after marrying her?
3. How many of Big Robert's warriors ever returned home?
4. What does the Crow term Dapiek Absaroka mean?
5. To which Indian tribe did the raiding party that attacked the Morgan family in 1846 belong?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Johnston get into trouble with the sheriff in Leadville, Colorado?
2. Discuss Johnston's encounter with the eighteenth Crow warrior sent after him by Big Robert.
3. Who was The Wolf and what was his relationship with John Johnston?
4. Discuss the relationship between Waving Grass and John Johnston.
5. What did Johnston find at his cabin when he returned after a hunting trip at the end of Chapter 5 and how did he respond to what he found?
6. How did Johnston use biscuits to defeat twenty-nine Blackfoot Indians who surrounded his cabin?
7. What was Leadville, Colorado like when Johnston visited it in the 1870's?
8. What gifts did Johnston offer to Bear's Head for The Swan and how did the value of his presents compare to what price Bear's Head asked for his daughter?
9. To what office did Johnston get elected in Red Lodge and how effective was he in the position?
10. When Johnston became a deputy sheriff in Custer County, Colorado, in what ways was he effective as a lawman and in what ways was he ineffective as a lawman?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)