|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nickname did Johnston and his Mountain Men friends give to the newcomers to the western frontier in Chapter 25: Burial for Bear Claw?
(b) Eastern Eagles.
(c) Eastern Injuns.
(d) Pilgrim tenderfoots.
2. How did the other Mountain Men respond to the news that the Blackfoot Indians had held Johnston captive?
(a) They demanded that the Army arrest the Blackfoot warriors.
(b) They ridiculed Johnston.
(c) They wanted to fight the Blackfoot tribe and avenge Johnston.
(d) They admired the Blackfoot Indians' bravery.
3. After 1876-77, which of the following groups was not coming into the Rocky Mountain wilderness in increased numbers?
(a) Gold hunters.
4. How long did Waving Grass and Johnston travel and trap furs together?
(a) One month.
(b) Two years.
(c) Six months.
(d) Two weeks.
5. Which Mountain Man had no memory prior to his own scalping, which he survived?
(a) Pancho Robles.
(b) Hatchet Jack.
(c) Wind River Jake.
(d) Mad Mose.
6. Why did Johnston seek out the Crow chief Gray Bear after Crazy Woman Morgan's death?
(a) To kill Gray Bear in vengeance for Crazy Woman's death.
(b) To marry Gray Bear's youngest daughter.
(c) To make peace.
(d) To trade furs and guns with the Crow.
7. How many miles did Johnston plan to travel with his whiskey?
(a) Five hundred.
(b) Three hundred.
(d) One thousand.
8. Which Mountain Man was known for his skill with the riata?
(a) Pancho Robles.
(b) Mad Mose.
(c) Hatchet Jack.
(d) Del Gue.
9. For which side did the Seminole Indians fight in the Civil War?
(a) Both sides, since individual warriors followed their own hearts.
(b) The Union.
(c) Neither side, since they didn't participate in the war.
(d) The Confederacy.
10. What tribe captured Waving Grass?
(a) The Nez Perce.
(b) The Crow.
(c) The Cheyenne.
(d) The Flatheads.
11. From what did Crazy Woman Morgan die?
(c) A Cheyenne arrow.
12. When his cabin was surrounded by Blackfoot Indians in Chapter 20, what ingredient did Johnston add to a batch of biscuits?
13. With what type of rifle did the Army replace Johnston's Hawken?
(a) A Remington.
(b) A Spencer.
(c) A Springfield.
(d) A Winchester.
14. How did Waving Grass end up on the prairie alone?
(a) She was abandoned by a Nez Perce lover.
(b) She got lost while gathering berries.
(c) The Cheyenne abandoned her there.
(d) She ran away from her captors.
15. Who defeated the Sioux in battle at Wolf Mountain in 1877?
(a) General Miles.
(b) Colonel Carrington.
(c) General Grant.
(d) General Custer.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what did the Blackfoot Indians hit Johnston while they had him tied up and unable to escape?
2. Who gave Crazy Woman Morgan a respectful burial out of respect for her friendship with Johnston?
3. What happened to Johnston's 40 gallons of whiskey during his captivity among the Blackfoot Indians?
4. Which of Johnston's Mountain Men friends was with Johnston when he killed the eighteenth of the twenty Crow warriors Big Robert had sent after him?
5. In Chapter 25: Burial for Bear Claw, what happened to the elk Del Gue left overnight in a tree for safekeeping?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)