|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Johnston's Mountain Men friends frequently used the expression "Great Jehosophat, Pocahontas, and John Smith"?
(a) Del Gue.
(b) Bear Claw Chris Lapp.
(c) Wind River Jake.
(d) Anton Sepulveda.
2. After escaping from his Blackfoot Indian captors, how many miles did Johnston have to travel back to his own camp?
(b) Five hundred.
(c) Two hundred.
3. Which of Johnston's Mountain Men friends was with Johnston when he killed the eighteenth of the twenty Crow warriors Big Robert had sent after him?
(a) Del Gue.
(b) Arkansas Pete.
(c) Mariano Moreno.
(d) Bigfoot Davis.
4. Which Sioux chief's spirit was broken after the battle at Wolf Mountain?
(a) Crazy Horse.
(b) Sitting Bull.
(c) Red Cloud.
5. How did Waving Grass end up on the prairie alone?
(a) She ran away from her captors.
(b) She got lost while gathering berries.
(c) She was abandoned by a Nez Perce lover.
(d) The Cheyenne abandoned her there.
6. What wild animals did Johnston encounter during his journey from the Blackfoot camp back to his own camp?
(a) A rattlesnake, buzzards, and a coyote.
(b) A mountain lion and a grizzly bear.
(c) A pack of wolves.
(d) Antelope and a wolf.
7. Why did Johnston seek out the Crow chief Gray Bear after Crazy Woman Morgan's death?
(a) To trade furs and guns with the Crow.
(b) To kill Gray Bear in vengeance for Crazy Woman's death.
(c) To make peace.
(d) To marry Gray Bear's youngest daughter.
8. To what tribe did Waving Grass belong?
(a) The Cheyenne.
(b) The Arapaho.
(c) The Utes.
(d) The Piegan.
9. What nickname did Johnston and his Mountain Men friends give to the newcomers to the western frontier in Chapter 25: Burial for Bear Claw?
(a) Eastern Injuns.
(b) Pilgrim tenderfoots.
(c) Eastern Eagles.
10. How old was John Johnston when he joined the Union Army?
11. Why did the son of the Shoshoni chief Wahni seek out Johnston?
(a) To get Johnston's help in avenging his father's death.
(b) To challenge Johnston in battle.
(c) To trade horses with him.
(d) To trade furs with him.
12. What was Johnston's first assignment in the Army?
(a) He was an infantryman.
(b) He was in the cavalry.
(c) He was a cook.
(d) He was made an officer.
13. What tribe captured Waving Grass?
(a) The Crow.
(b) The Nez Perce.
(c) The Flatheads.
(d) The Cheyenne.
14. Why was Fort Kearney of particular abhorrence to the Sioux?
(a) The fort's trading post would not sell to the Sioux.
(b) The fort's commanding officer was cruel to Indians.
(c) Its construction broke government promises.
(d) The soldiers in the fort greatly outnumbered the Sioux.
15. How many days did it take Johnston to put the first ten miles between himself and the Blackfoot camp due to falling snow and having to cover his trail?
Short Answer Questions
1. What shape was Johnston in when he finally reached his own camp and his friend Del Gue after escaping The Wolf and his warriors?
2. How did Johnston identify Bear Claw Chris Lapp's killers?
3. How many warriors rode with Johnston when he did as Wahni's son asked?
4. What other tribes contributed warriors to Johnston's forces when he rode out to do as Wahni's son had asked?
5. For what did Mountain Men use Fort McPherson?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)