|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shape was Johnston in when he finally reached his own camp and his friend Del Gue after escaping The Wolf and his warriors?
(a) He had a broken ankle.
(b) He was emaciated and exhausted.
(c) He was strong and healthy.
(d) He was sick with a fever.
2. What Anglican nickname did Modeno give his Indian wife?
3. When The Wolf captured Johnston, what did he tell Johnston he intended to do with him?
(a) Trade him to the Crows.
(b) Make him an honorary chief of the Blackfoot tribe.
(c) Give Johnston his choice of Blackfoot women to marry.
(d) Torture and then kill him.
4. Which Mountain Man had no memory prior to his own scalping, which he survived?
(a) Wind River Jake.
(b) Hatchet Jack.
(c) Pancho Robles.
(d) Mad Mose.
5. When Johnston made peace with the Crow and stopped eating their livers, what was the response of Black Elk, a Sioux chief?
(a) He said Crow livers had made Johnston a coward.
(b) He offered to help the Crows kill Johnston.
(c) He rejoiced and gave a feast for Johnston.
(d) He decided to intensify his raids against the Crow.
6. Who once saved the son of the Shoshoni chief Wahni from a big wildcat?
(a) Old John Hatcher.
(b) Bigfoot Davis.
(c) John Johnston.
(d) Del Gue.
7. When the Sioux attacked Fort Kearney in 1866, to where did Colonel Carrington, the commanding officer, need a volunteer to ride for reinforcements and assistance?
(b) Fort Bennington.
(c) Fort Laramie.
(d) Fort Davis.
8. Which Mountain Man was known for his skill with the riata?
(a) Hatchet Jack.
(b) Mad Mose.
(c) Pancho Robles.
(d) Del Gue.
9. Which Sioux chief's spirit was broken after the battle at Wolf Mountain?
(b) Red Cloud.
(c) Sitting Bull.
(d) Crazy Horse.
10. What did Crazy Woman Morgan do every night at sundown?
(a) She put flowers on her dead children's graves.
(b) She fired her rifle into the woods.
(c) She screamed.
(d) She prayed.
11. To what tribe did Waving Grass belong?
(a) The Arapaho.
(b) The Piegan.
(c) The Cheyenne.
(d) The Utes.
12. What did Waving Grass claim her relationship with Johnston was?
(a) She claimed to be his sister.
(b) She claimed to be his wife.
(c) She claimed to be his mother.
(d) She claimed to be his cousin.
13. After escaping from his Blackfoot Indian captors, how many miles did Johnston have to travel back to his own camp?
(a) Two hundred.
(b) Five hundred.
14. In Chapter 19, which tribe of Indians attacked and killed Shoshoni women and children out gathering roots on the prairie?
(a) The Navajo.
(b) The Nez Perce.
(c) The Utes.
(d) The Cheyenne.
15. How old was John Johnston when he joined the Union Army?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Johnston's only food on the long trail from the Blackfoot camp back to his own camp?
2. What did the warrior who had captured Waving Grass do instead of making her his first wife's slave?
3. After 1876-77, which of the following groups was not coming into the Rocky Mountain wilderness in increased numbers?
4. How did the other Mountain Men respond to the news that the Blackfoot Indians had held Johnston captive?
5. Who was Gray Bear?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)