|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who once saved the son of the Shoshoni chief Wahni from a big wildcat?
(a) Del Gue.
(b) John Johnston.
(c) Bigfoot Davis.
(d) Old John Hatcher.
2. What was Johnston's only food on the long trail from the Blackfoot camp back to his own camp?
(a) Grass and berries.
(b) The few fish he caught en route.
(c) The leg he had taken from his guard.
(d) A few chaws of tobacco and some coffee beans.
3. In Chapter 25: Burial for Bear Claw, what happened to the elk Del Gue left overnight in a tree for safekeeping?
(a) The Blackfoot Indians stole part of it.
(b) Wolves ate it.
(c) It got rained on during a thunderstorm.
(d) It fell from the tree and was eaten by vultures.
4. How many miles did Johnston plan to travel with his whiskey?
(a) One thousand.
(b) Five hundred.
(c) Three hundred.
5. Which of Johnston's Mountain Men friends was with Johnston when he killed the eighteenth of the twenty Crow warriors Big Robert had sent after him?
(a) Arkansas Pete.
(b) Bigfoot Davis.
(c) Del Gue.
(d) Mariano Moreno.
6. Who took Crazy Woman Morgan food and provisions over the years?
(a) Arkansas Pete.
(b) The local women.
(c) John Johnston and his Mountain Men friends.
(d) The Army.
7. What did the warrior who had captured Waving Grass do instead of making her his first wife's slave?
(a) He gave her to his brother's wife as her slave.
(b) He killed her.
(c) He gave her to the chief's wife as her slave.
(d) He made her his favored second wife.
8. What nickname did Johnston and his Mountain Men friends give to the newcomers to the western frontier in Chapter 25: Burial for Bear Claw?
(a) Pilgrim tenderfoots.
(b) Eastern Injuns.
(d) Eastern Eagles.
9. How many warriors rode with Johnston when he did as Wahni's son asked?
(b) One hundred and fifty.
10. What other tribes contributed warriors to Johnston's forces when he rode out to do as Wahni's son had asked?
(a) The Apache and the Seminoles.
(b) The Cheyenne, Navajo, and Arapaho.
(c) The Sioux and the Comanche.
(d) The Utes, Flatheads, and Crows.
11. Why did Johnston have to do what Wahni's son asked of him?
(a) He was Wahni's good friend.
(b) Many people would die if he did not do as the youth asked.
(c) Johnston's life was in danger otherwise.
(d) It was Johnston's duty as an honorary Shoshoni chief.
12. What did Waving Grass claim her relationship with Johnston was?
(a) She claimed to be his cousin.
(b) She claimed to be his sister.
(c) She claimed to be his mother.
(d) She claimed to be his wife.
13. From what did Crazy Woman Morgan die?
(b) A Cheyenne arrow.
14. Who defeated the Sioux in battle at Wolf Mountain in 1877?
(a) General Custer.
(b) General Grant.
(c) General Miles.
(d) Colonel Carrington.
15. After 1876-77, which of the following groups was not coming into the Rocky Mountain wilderness in increased numbers?
(a) Gold hunters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Sioux chief's spirit was broken after the battle at Wolf Mountain?
2. What kind of footwear did Arkansas Pete wear?
3. When Del Gue, Hatchet Jack, and John Johnston met at Pryor's Fork in 1878, what two items that used to be available in abundance were scarce that year?
4. With what did the Blackfoot Indians hit Johnston while they had him tied up and unable to escape?
5. Who was Big Anton Sepulveda's partner in Chapter 19?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)