|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Johnston's reputation with the local townspeople once the reason for his vendetta against the Crow became public knowledge?
(a) It softened and he gained public sympathy.
(b) It stayed about the same.
(c) It worsened a bit.
(d) It worsened a lot and people wanted him arrested for murder.
2. What did Johnston have to do to his own horse at the beginning of Chapter 8 because he had pushed it so hard?
(a) Leave it on the prairie to rest and eat.
(b) Trade it to the Indians.
(c) Shoot it.
(d) Sell it.
3. What did Joe Robidoux do to rival trader Manuel Lisa to prevent Lisa from trading with the Pawnee?
(a) He had Lisa arrested on false charges of theft.
(b) He got Lisa so drunk that Lisa passed out.
(c) He locked Lisa in a cellar.
(d) He had the Shoshoni kidnap Lisa.
4. What color was John Johnston's hair?
5. In Chapter 7, how many Crow warriors did Big Robert send to trade horses with the Flatheads?
(d) One hundred.
6. When the two Shoshoni braves met Johnston in Chapter 8, what were they carrying?
(a) Furs stolen from Johnston and Del Gue.
(b) Stolen rifles.
(c) Flathead scalps.
7. By what nickname did Mrs. Morgan become known after the attack on her family?
(a) The Crazy Woman.
(b) Screaming Morgan.
(c) Mute Old Lady Morgan.
(d) The Blind Woman.
8. How much more did Joe Robidoux charge Johnston for the rifle than Johnston would have paid in St. Louis?
(a) Twice the St. Louis price.
(b) Four times the St. Louis price.
(c) Five dollars more than the St. Louis price.
(d) Ten times the St. Louis price.
9. When he visited the cairn of his wife and baby in Chapter 9, what did Johnston do with his loved one's skulls?
(a) He set them atop poles in front of his cabin.
(b) He wrapped them in furs.
(c) He burned them.
(d) He held them and mourned over them.
10. At what skill did the Crow Indians excel?
(b) Horse riding.
(c) Making pemmican.
11. What result did Johnston's fame have on Indians who ambushed him?
(a) They respected him.
(b) They doubted the truth of his reputation and wanted to test it.
(c) They greatly feared him.
(d) They mocked him.
12. What was the trapping like at the place where Joe Robidoux advised Johnston to trap?
(a) The area was trapped out years before.
(b) Mink trapping was plentiful but there were no other animals.
(c) Plenty of beaver and otter trapping was available.
(d) There was abundant trapping of all kinds of animals.
13. In what formation did Big Robert's warriors ride toward the Flathead camp in Chapter 7?
(a) In a ceremonial circle.
(b) In groups of three.
(c) In pairs.
(d) A cavalcade with scouts in front and back.
14. Who helped Mrs. Morgan bury her three children and her husband's scalp?
(a) Arkansas Pete.
(b) John Johnston.
(c) Del Gue.
(d) The Morgan children.
15. In 1848, what story spread through the west about the scalped and mutilated bodies of Crow warriors, and only Crow warriors, that were being found in the area?
(a) That the Shoshoni were killing and mutilating them.
(b) That a wild bear was killing and mutilating them.
(c) That Crazy Woman Morgan was killing and mutilating them.
(d) That John Johnston was killing the Crow and eating their livers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language was Bear's Head surprised to learn that Johnston could speak besides English?
2. What nickname was given to Johnston in 1848?
3. What two items did Johnston braid together and show Bear's Head in Chapter 8?
4. What treaty laid out specific boundaries for Crow territory?
5. What happened to the Morgan children during the Indian attack on the family?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)