|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to John Morgan, the family's father, during the Indian attack on the family?
(a) His wife accidentally shot him trying to defend the family.
(b) He was saved by John Johnston.
(c) He killed himself rather than be taken alive by the Indians.
(d) He was scalped and taken away, still alive, by the Indians.
2. What did John Johnston give The Swan after marrying her?
(a) A fancy red silk dress.
(b) A big brown dog.
(c) A diamond ring.
(d) A Tennessee rifle with powder and shot.
3. Which of the following was not a gift Bear's Head bestowed on Johnston in Chapter 8?
(a) A beaded Crow saddle.
(b) A white buffalo blanket.
(c) A new wife.
(d) A horse.
4. What happened to Johnston's reputation with the local townspeople once the reason for his vendetta against the Crow became public knowledge?
(a) It stayed about the same.
(b) It worsened a bit.
(c) It softened and he gained public sympathy.
(d) It worsened a lot and people wanted him arrested for murder.
5. Who saw Johnston at his wife's secret grave and realized why he was on a vendetta against the Crow?
(a) Joe Robidoux.
(b) An anonymous Indian.
(c) Del Gue.
(d) Hatchet Jack.
6. Who was Wahni or "The Fox"?
(a) A Crow chief.
(b) A Shoshoni chief and Johnston's friend.
(c) A Flathead warrior and The Swan's brother.
(d) Johnston's arch enemy.
7. Which of Johnston's Mountain Men friends passed down the oral history of his exploits and kept his legend alive?
(a) Bear Claw Chris Lapp.
(b) Anton Sepulveda.
(c) Del Gue and White Eye Anderson.
(d) Arkansas Pete.
8. What result did Johnston's fame have on Indians who ambushed him?
(a) They mocked him.
(b) They respected him.
(c) They greatly feared him.
(d) They doubted the truth of his reputation and wanted to test it.
9. How did the Flathead Indians get their flat foreheads?
(a) Big, flat stones were fastened to their brows during infancy.
(b) They were born that way.
(c) They tied pieces of wood to their children's brows.
(d) Their heavy headdresses made their skulls grow that way.
10. What was the relationship between the Shoshonis and the Flatheads during Johnston's era?
(a) They were allies.
(b) They were sent to the same reservation by the government.
(c) They were cousins.
(d) They were enemies.
11. What does the Crow term Dapiek Absaroka mean?
(b) Honored friend.
(c) The Killer of Crows.
(d) Beloved son.
12. When Johnston attacked and killed the Crow sentry in Chapter 7, what did he find in the Indian's possession?
(a) Del Gue's pocket watch.
(b) Gold worth thousands of dollars.
(c) The Swan's scalp.
(d) Del Gue's scalp.
13. What role did Crow Indian women have in the tribal council?
(a) They had no role and were not allowed to attend council.
(b) They served refreshments during council meetings.
(c) They led the council and presided over it.
(d) They were allowed to attend council and offer their wisdom.
14. How many warriors did Chief Big Robert send to hunt down Johnston?
(c) One thousand.
(d) Eight hundred.
15. What did Old John Hatcher make Johnston do to one of their attackers?
(a) Turn the Indian over to the sheriff.
(b) Scalp the Indian.
(c) Rob the Indian.
(d) Tie up the Indian.
Short Answer Questions
1. With which more experienced trapper did Johnston first become friends upon moving west?
2. What did Crow Indians do to John Johnston's wife in 1847?
3. In 1848, what story spread through the west about the scalped and mutilated bodies of Crow warriors, and only Crow warriors, that were being found in the area?
4. What relationship did John Johnston have to Bear's Head, the Flathead chief?
5. In Chapter 7, how many Crow warriors did Big Robert send to trade horses with the Flatheads?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)