|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1848, what story spread through the west about the scalped and mutilated bodies of Crow warriors, and only Crow warriors, that were being found in the area?
(a) That John Johnston was killing the Crow and eating their livers.
(b) That a wild bear was killing and mutilating them.
(c) That Crazy Woman Morgan was killing and mutilating them.
(d) That the Shoshoni were killing and mutilating them.
2. What nickname was given to Johnston in 1848?
(a) Liver-Eating Johnston.
(b) Crow Hater.
(c) Crazy Johnston.
(d) Lonely Johnston.
3. In what year did Johnston first come to St. Joseph?
4. What did Johnston use to knock out the Crow sentry in Chapter 7?
(a) A stick.
(b) A coffee pot.
(c) A spear.
(d) A rock.
5. What was unusual about the forehead of the Flathead beauty The Swan?
(a) It had normal curvature and was not flat.
(b) It was flat when she was born and did not have to be shaped.
(c) It was flatter than average.
(d) It was larger than average.
6. How many warriors did Chief Big Robert send to hunt down Johnston?
(b) Eight hundred.
(d) One thousand.
7. Who did Johnston find in his cabin when he returned to it at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) Del Gue.
(b) Bear's Head.
(c) Anton Sepulveda.
(d) The Fox.
8. What did Johnston do to the Crow horses in Chapter 7?
(a) He stole them.
(b) He shot them.
(c) He untethered them and set them loose.
(d) He hid them in a secret cave.
9. Who saw Johnston at his wife's secret grave and realized why he was on a vendetta against the Crow?
(a) Del Gue.
(b) An anonymous Indian.
(c) Hatchet Jack.
(d) Joe Robidoux.
10. What language was Bear's Head surprised to learn that Johnston could speak besides English?
(a) The Flathead tongue.
(d) The Crow tongue.
11. What two items did Johnston braid together and show Bear's Head in Chapter 8?
(a) The scalps of The Swan and her killer.
(b) His hair and a set of bear claws.
(c) The tails of his two favorite horses.
(d) Ribbons from an old dress of The Swan's.
12. What was Johnston's attitude toward alcohol?
(a) He bought and sold it, so it was a product to him.
(b) He was an alcoholic.
(c) He never drank it.
(d) He drank on occasion.
13. Which of the following was not a gift Bear's Head bestowed on Johnston in Chapter 8?
(a) A horse.
(b) A beaded Crow saddle.
(c) A white buffalo blanket.
(d) A new wife.
14. With which more experienced trapper did Johnston first become friends upon moving west?
(a) Anton Sepulveda.
(b) Hatchet Jack.
(c) Del Gue.
(d) Old John Hatcher.
15. How did Johnston respond when a river tramp tried to rob him upon his disembarking from the steamer that brought him west?
(a) He shot the tramp.
(b) He knocked the tramp down.
(c) He fainted.
(d) He called for the sheriff.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attacked Johnston and Old John Hatcher in Chapter 2?
2. What did Old John Hatcher make Johnston do to one of their attackers?
3. How did the Flathead Indians get their flat foreheads?
4. What did Joe Robidoux do to his own son to acquire property the young man had inherited?
5. Where did Joe Robidoux let Johnston sleep in his store?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)