|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was following Big Robert's warriors toward the Flathead camp in Chapter 7?
(a) The U.S. Army.
(b) The Cheyenne.
(c) The Utes.
(d) John Johnston.
2. Of what wood were the handles of Johnston's Colt Walker revolver and his Bowie knife made?
3. What happened to Johnston's reputation with the local townspeople once the reason for his vendetta against the Crow became public knowledge?
(a) It softened and he gained public sympathy.
(b) It worsened a lot and people wanted him arrested for murder.
(c) It worsened a bit.
(d) It stayed about the same.
4. Which of the following was not a quality of the Crow Indians?
(a) They were fisherman.
(b) They were family oriented.
(c) They were artisans.
(d) They were proud and brave.
5. What happened to Mrs. Morgan as a result of the Indian attack on her family?
(a) She went blind.
(b) She went back east to Boston where it was safer.
(c) She lost her mind.
(d) She killed herself out of grief.
6. What was the relationship between the Shoshonis and the Flatheads during Johnston's era?
(a) They were cousins.
(b) They were allies.
(c) They were sent to the same reservation by the government.
(d) They were enemies.
7. What language was Bear's Head surprised to learn that Johnston could speak besides English?
(a) The Flathead tongue.
(c) The Crow tongue.
8. What did Joe Robidoux do to rival trader Manuel Lisa to prevent Lisa from trading with the Pawnee?
(a) He had Lisa arrested on false charges of theft.
(b) He locked Lisa in a cellar.
(c) He got Lisa so drunk that Lisa passed out.
(d) He had the Shoshoni kidnap Lisa.
9. What was the name of the steamer that brought Johnston from St. Louis to St. Joseph when he first came west to become a trapper?
(a) The Carolina Belle.
(b) The Missouri Belle.
(c) The Thames.
(d) The Adelaide Maria.
10. In Chapter 8, when Johnston showed Bear's Head the object he took from the Crow sentry, what did Bear's Head command his warriors to do?
(a) Send presents to the Crow.
(b) Make Johnston an honorary chief.
(c) Avenge The Swan by fighting the Crow coming to trade.
(d) Take Johnston prisoner.
11. What did Johnston do to the Crow horses in Chapter 7?
(a) He stole them.
(b) He hid them in a secret cave.
(c) He shot them.
(d) He untethered them and set them loose.
12. What was unusual about the forehead of the Flathead beauty The Swan?
(a) It was flat when she was born and did not have to be shaped.
(b) It was flatter than average.
(c) It was larger than average.
(d) It had normal curvature and was not flat.
13. What kind of rifle did Joe Robidoux sell Johnston?
(a) A Winchester.
(b) A Spencer.
(c) A Springfield.
(d) A Hawken.
14. When the two Shoshoni braves met Johnston in Chapter 8, what were they carrying?
(a) Furs stolen from Johnston and Del Gue.
(b) Flathead scalps.
(c) Stolen rifles.
15. Who saw Johnston at his wife's secret grave and realized why he was on a vendetta against the Crow?
(a) Hatchet Jack.
(b) Del Gue.
(c) Joe Robidoux.
(d) An anonymous Indian.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Johnston's Mountain Men friends passed down the oral history of his exploits and kept his legend alive?
2. When Johnston attacked and killed the Crow sentry in Chapter 7, what did he find in the Indian's possession?
3. In 1848, what story spread through the west about the scalped and mutilated bodies of Crow warriors, and only Crow warriors, that were being found in the area?
4. How much more did Joe Robidoux charge Johnston for the rifle than Johnston would have paid in St. Louis?
5. What was Johnston's attitude toward alcohol?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)