|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3: A Man Among Men, Chapters 11 through 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When were the warriors Big Robert sent after Johnston supposed to return home?
(a) By the end of the next winter season.
(b) Once Johnston was dead.
(c) Once they found Johnston.
(d) Once they captured Johnston.
2. Why was Fort Kearney of particular abhorrence to the Sioux?
(a) The fort's trading post would not sell to the Sioux.
(b) Its construction broke government promises.
(c) The fort's commanding officer was cruel to Indians.
(d) The soldiers in the fort greatly outnumbered the Sioux.
3. What did John Johnston do to the Crows as a result of what they had done to his wife?
(a) He killed and scalped them and ate their livers raw.
(b) He had a party for them.
(c) He kidnapped their chief for vengeance.
(d) He preached to them, urging them to repent.
4. For which side did the Seminole Indians fight in the Civil War?
(a) The Union.
(b) Both sides, since individual warriors followed their own hearts.
(c) Neither side, since they didn't participate in the war.
(d) The Confederacy.
5. Who did Old John Hatcher tell Johnston would pay big money for Indian scalps?
(a) The French.
(b) The Mexican Army.
(c) The English.
(d) The U.S. Army.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Johnston identify the Crow Indians as The Swan's killers?
2. Why did Johnston seek out the Crow chief Gray Bear after Crazy Woman Morgan's death?
3. Which of Johnston's Mountain Men friends was with Johnston when he killed the eighteenth of the twenty Crow warriors Big Robert had sent after him?
4. What wild animals did Johnston encounter during his journey from the Blackfoot camp back to his own camp?
5. What does the Crow term Dapiek Absaroka mean?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)