|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3: A Man Among Men, Chapters 11 through 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Johnston have to do to his own horse at the beginning of Chapter 8 because he had pushed it so hard?
(a) Shoot it.
(b) Leave it on the prairie to rest and eat.
(c) Sell it.
(d) Trade it to the Indians.
2. How many days did it take Johnston to put the first ten miles between himself and the Blackfoot camp due to falling snow and having to cover his trail?
3. When were the warriors Big Robert sent after Johnston supposed to return home?
(a) Once they captured Johnston.
(b) By the end of the next winter season.
(c) Once Johnston was dead.
(d) Once they found Johnston.
4. Who was Portuguese Phillips?
(a) A Mexican explorer.
(b) An Army scout and friend of Johnston's.
(c) A fur trader.
(d) An outlaw who challenged Johnston to a duel.
5. With which more experienced trapper did Johnston first become friends upon moving west?
(a) Del Gue.
(b) Hatchet Jack.
(c) Old John Hatcher.
(d) Anton Sepulveda.
Short Answer Questions
1. For which side did the Seminole Indians fight in the Civil War?
2. What treaty laid out specific boundaries for Crow territory?
3. In 1848, what story spread through the west about the scalped and mutilated bodies of Crow warriors, and only Crow warriors, that were being found in the area?
4. What relationship did John Johnston have to Bear's Head, the Flathead chief?
5. Which of Johnston's Mountain Men friends frequently used the expression "Great Jehosophat, Pocahontas, and John Smith"?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)