|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Larry adapt to time in Vermont?
2. What location is the setting for Larry's new novel?
3. In what city are the Morgans living in the flashback in Part 2: Chapter 4?
4. Who tries to talk Sid out of going on the picnic?
5. Where does Larry go to work after the start of World War II?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the theme of rescue extend in Part 2: Chapter 2?
2. How has the necessity for rescue changed between the two couples?
3. How is Charity managing her illness?
4. Explain how Charity's simplistic view of life is in contrast to both Sid and the Langs?
5. Why does Sid not want to go on the family picnic?
6. How do Sally's memories provide a different perspective about Charity for Hallie?
7. Why does Larry consider their year in Italy to be one of the best and most youthful for Sally and him?
8. Explain the metaphor of Adam and Eve used throughout the novel.
9. What revelation does Sid share with Larry about his life?
10. How does the author use the Adam and Eve metaphor to advance the plot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the similarities of Larry and Sally's backgrounds. What insecurities do they share? What work ethic do they share? How have their backgrounds made them into the people they are today?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Larry describe the Langs and the Morgans as "two Adams and Eves?" What does he mean by that? Why does the author use this metaphor? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
This section contains 1,181 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)