|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Larry describe the foursome of the Langs and the Morgans?
2. Charity says that there is no decent literature on what subject?
3. What location is the setting for Larry's new novel?
4. What are Larry and Sally doing as the chapter begins?
5. How does Sally get to the terrace?
Short Essay Questions
1. What revelation does Sid share with Larry about his life?
2. Explain how Charity's simplistic view of life is in contrast to both Sid and the Langs?
3. Why does Sid not want to go on the family picnic?
4. How does the author extend the Adam and Eve metaphor in this chapter?
5. How is Charity managing her illness?
6. Although Larry and Sally never had the advantages or financial ease that Sid and Charity did, they seem to have a better marriage. Explain how the author reveals this.
7. Why does Larry consider their year in Italy to be one of the best and most youthful for Sally and him?
8. What plans has Charity made for her family for after her death?
9. How does the author use the Adam and Eve metaphor to advance the plot?
10. How do the Charity, Sid and Sally remain in character when facing Charity's imminent death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways are Sally and Sid alike? In what ways are Charity and Larry alike? Could they be happy if they were to switch marriage partners? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Larry's job loss is an opportunity for Charity to work her connections to find him a job. Why is Larry open to Charity's help when her own husband rejects all her attempts to further his career? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)