|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the state of Charity's health?
2. What surprise does Sid have for Charity and her family?
3. How does Sid feel about his teaching job?
4. Who lavishes praise on Larry and Sally at the party?
5. What material has Sid had published?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Sid and Charity described?
2. Even though he was relishing some time alone, how does Larry actually deal with so much time by himself?
3. In addition to the enthusiastic welcome, what else strikes Larry and Sally about Sid and Charity Lang?
4. How does the evening of the party end for the Morgans and the Langs?
5. What is Larry's first recollection of meeting Charity?
6. Explain the level of apprehension that Larry and Sally feel before going to a party at Sid and Charity's house.
7. Explain how Larry and Charity are very much alike in their work ethics and life management skills.
8. In spite of their challenges, what is the state of Larry and Sally's marriage?
9. Why have Larry and Sally come to visit Sid and Charity?
10. How do the Morgans and Langs celebrate one of Larry's early literary successes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sally is able to share some memories of Charity with Hallie before Charity dies. How can Sally know Charity better than Charity's own daughter? Why are these memories such a poignant gift for Hallie?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the similarities of Larry and Sally's backgrounds. What insecurities do they share? What work ethic do they share? How have their backgrounds made them into the people they are today?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Charity wants to model her marriage and household after her mother's style. What are some of Charity's expectations? What happens when the expectations fall short?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)