|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Larry and Sally go with the Langs to celebrate?
2. What is Sid doing as Part 1: Chapter 9 begins?
3. What does Larry think about on this morning?
4. Who convinces the doctor to let Larry into Sally's room?
5. Where does Charity gather the guests?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Larry and Charity are very much alike in their work ethics and life management skills.
2. Describe Sid's first encounter with Charity's mother.
3. What are the plans for Larry's day?
4. How are Sid and Charity described?
5. Who is the dominant person in each of the two marriages?
6. Explain the flashback that the author uses in Part 1: Chapter 2.
7. Describe the range of emotions that Larry experiences within a 24-hour period.
8. What housing do Larry and Sally find when they reach Wisconsin?
9. Explain the different attitudes of Sid's and Larry's fathers regarding their sons' professions?
10. How do the Morgans and Langs celebrate one of Larry's early literary successes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through a series of flashbacks. Why did he choose to tell his story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
Essay Topic 2
Furthering the Adam and Eve metaphor, the author introduces the metaphor of a snake. What is the snake in the marriage of Charity and Sid? In the relationship between the two couples? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Charity wants to model her marriage and household after her mother's style. What are some of Charity's expectations? What happens when the expectations fall short?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)