|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Larry's parents die?
2. In what month does Part 1: Chapter 8 begin?
3. Where does Larry take Sally?
4. For what reason does Larry believe much material is written?
5. What is Charity's mother reading to a group of children when he arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. In addition to the enthusiastic welcome, what else strikes Larry and Sally about Sid and Charity Lang?
2. What is the setting for the beginning of the novel?
3. What does Charity learn about Larry and Sally as they talk?
4. Who is the dominant person in each of the two marriages?
5. How does Charity attempt to manage Sid's career?
6. Describe how the author introduces the reader to Larry Morgan at the beginning of the novel?
7. What happens that gives Larry a bad premonition?
8. Explain how one of the novel's themes of rescue is important in Part 1: Chapter 10.
9. Even though he was relishing some time alone, how does Larry actually deal with so much time by himself?
10. What housing do Larry and Sally find when they reach Wisconsin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Charity wants to model her marriage and household after her mother's style. What are some of Charity's expectations? What happens when the expectations fall short?
Essay Topic 2
Sally is able to share some memories of Charity with Hallie before Charity dies. How can Sally know Charity better than Charity's own daughter? Why are these memories such a poignant gift for Hallie?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the similarities of Larry and Sally's backgrounds. What insecurities do they share? What work ethic do they share? How have their backgrounds made them into the people they are today?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)