|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What material has Sid had published?
2. What is Charity's father's profession?
3. Where does Sid drive Sally and Larry?
4. What is the purpose of the item that Larry hangs on the wall?
5. What concerns Sid about Charity?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how one of the novel's themes of rescue is important in Part 1: Chapter 10.
2. How do Larry and Sally celebrate their good news?
3. What are the plans for Larry's day?
4. Explain the level of apprehension that Larry and Sally feel before going to a party at Sid and Charity's house.
5. How is Charity's mother characterized?
6. How do the Morgans and Langs celebrate one of Larry's early literary successes?
7. Describe the first year in Madison for Sally and Larry.
8. How does Charity attempt to manage Sid's career?
9. Describe how the author introduces the reader to Larry Morgan at the beginning of the novel?
10. In spite of their challenges, what is the state of Larry and Sally's marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Charity Lang. How does the author make her come to life in the story? How is she bigger than life compared to the other characters? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Even though Larry is an accomplished writer and wonderful teacher, he still feels insecure in his university position. Explain why Larry feels that he does not measure up to the others in the department? Is it something they have done to him or do his insecurities stem from himself?
Essay Topic 3
What conflicts become apparent in the marriage of Sid and Charity? What resentments build as a result? How do they punish each other as the marriage ages?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)