|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charity have trouble cooking for the group?
2. What year is it in the story as Part2: Chapter 1 begins?
3. In what city are the Morgans living in the flashback in Part 2: Chapter 4?
4. What does Charity insist that she is doing?
(a) Trying to take her pills
(b) Trying to sleep
(c) Trying to die right
(d) Trying to finish a novel
5. What has Charity refused to do?
(a) Take vitamins
(b) Get exercise
(c) Have chemotherapy
(d) Get sunshine
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Larry doing at the beginning of Part 3: Chapter 4?
2. Why is Charity impatient with Sid?
3. Why has Charity had some trees cut down?
4. What are Larry and Sally doing as the chapter begins?
5. What do Larry and Sally experience in Vermont for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Charity managing her illness?
2. To what does Larry compare the drowning mouse he comes across while searching for Sid?
3. How is Charity able to assert some control over Larry's life while her own husband resists her attempts?
4. Why is this chapter the climax of the book?
5. Although Larry and Sally never had the advantages or financial ease that Sid and Charity did, they seem to have a better marriage. Explain how the author reveals this.
6. How has Sid and Charity's home changed from the time the Langs first saw it in 1938?
7. How does Charity maintain control even though her death is imminent?
8. Explain the method that Sally has of categorizing her memories.
9. Explain the metaphor of Adam and Eve used throughout the novel.
10. Why does Larry consider their year in Italy to be one of the best and most youthful for Sally and him?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)