|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who buys one of Larry's short stories?
(a) Atlantic Monthly
(b) Reader's Digest
(c) The New Yorker
(d) National Geographic
2. A picnic has been planned for later today at _______________________.
(a) Blueberry Hill
(d) Folsom Hill
3. What do Larry and Sid talk about?
(b) The stock market
(c) Art collecting
(d) Their careers
4. What does Charity tell her mother and aunt about Sid?
(a) He is cunning
(b) He is painfully shy
(c) He is a wolf
(d) He is a pushover
5. Where are Larry and Sally driving to?
(a) New Mexico
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sid feel about his teaching job?
2. What year is it when the novel opens?
3. How do Larry and Sally find Charity to be?
4. What good news comes for Sally and Larry?
5. Why do Sally and Charity want to turn the boat back toward shore?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the flashback that the author uses in Part 1: Chapter 2.
2. What is Charity's model of an ideal marriage and how will it affect her own marriage to Sid?
3. How is Charity's mother characterized?
4. What are the plans for Larry's day?
5. What do Larry and Sally learn about Charity as she talks?
6. What housing do Larry and Sally find when they reach Wisconsin?
7. In spite of their challenges, what is the state of Larry and Sally's marriage?
8. Explain the level of apprehension that Larry and Sally feel before going to a party at Sid and Charity's house.
9. How does Charity attempt to manage Sid's career?
10. How do Larry and Sally celebrate their good news?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)