|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Sally share a cabin in Vermont?
(b) Charity's mother
(c) Sid's mother
(d) Sid's sister
2. Why is Larry happy to be teaching summer classes?
(a) He and Sally are not taking a vacation
(b) The money will help pay medical bills
(c) He is happiest when he is working
(d) He wants to get away from the crying baby
3. What is the name of Sid and Charity's firstborn child?
4. How does Larry occupy his time in the summer?
(a) Reading history books
(b) Writing a novel
(c) Studying French
(d) Teaching French
5. What does Sid bring for Larry in the morning?
(a) A newspaper
(b) Student papers
(d) His mail
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Larry feel he doesn't fit in with the other professors?
2. What is the state of Larry and Sally's marriage?
3. In what department does Larry teach at the university?
4. What do Sally and Charity talk about?
5. What does Larry do in his spare time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Larry and Sally celebrate their good news?
2. What do Larry and Sally learn about Charity as she talks?
3. Explain the flashback the author uses to describe the beginning of Sid and Charity's courtship.
4. Explain the different attitudes of Sid's and Larry's fathers regarding their sons' professions?
5. What is Charity's model of an ideal marriage and how will it affect her own marriage to Sid?
6. What good news does Larry receive at the beginning of Part 1: Chapter 8?
7. What housing do Larry and Sally find when they reach Wisconsin?
8. How does Charity attempt to manage Sid's career?
9. Why have Larry and Sally come to visit Sid and Charity?
10. Describe the range of emotions that Larry experiences within a 24-hour period.
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)