|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Charity's father been working on for the past ten years?
(a) A book
(b) A mural
(d) A boat
2. What is Sid doing as Part 1: Chapter 9 begins?
(a) Taking a walk
(b) Teaching a class
(c) Reading a book
3. What does Larry think about on this morning?
(a) His real estate business
(b) His business
(c) His life
(d) His passport
4. In what way did Sid tell Charity he would like to see her?
(a) On the phone
(b) Through a friend
(c) In a letter
(d) In a telegram
5. How is Charity's mother characterized?
(a) Emotionally unavailable
(b) As a shrinking violet
(c) Mentally unstable
(d) As a commander
6. Why does Larry write so much during his first year of teaching?
(a) He keeps his teaching skills sharp
(b) He likes to write as a hobby
(c) He is anti social
(d) Fear of being laid off for lack of being published
7. Where does Sally to with the Langs?
8. Who is Larry's office mate?
(a) Ellery Queen
(b) William Ellery
(c) William MacKenzie
(d) William Boatwright
9. What year is it in the story in Part 1, Chapter 2?
10. What does Charity call lying in bed and organizing each day?
(a) The only way to vacation
(c) Constructive daydreaming
(d) A necessity
11. What does one of the other professors call Larry?
(a) A real inspiration
(b) A hack
12. What is the name of Sid and Charity's firstborn child?
13. How much is Larry paid for the story?
14. What is Larry's profession?
15. How do Larry and Sally find Charity to be?
(a) They don't like her at all
(b) They are bored by her
(c) They are fascinated by her
(d) They think she is too provocative
Short Answer Questions
1. What good news comes for Sally and Larry?
2. What does Larry do in his spare time?
3. How is the lifestyle of the Langs described?
4. What surprise does Sid have for Charity and her family?
5. What do Sally and Charity talk about?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)