Part 1: Chapter 1
• Larry and Sally Morgan have traveled from their home in New Mexico to the home of their friends, Sid and Charity Lang, in August, 1972.
• Larry and Sally are staying at a cabin on the Langs' property.
• Sally has limited mobility due to polio.
• Larry takes a walk in the woods and returns to find Sally talking with the Langs' daughter, Hallie.
• Hallie reveals the gravity of her mother's cancer and impending death which is the reason for the Morgans' visit.
• Larry, at 64, reflects on his life and the goals and ambitions that seem so hollow in light of the death of their dear friend, Charity.
Part 1: Chapter 2
• It is 1938 and Larry and Sally move to Wisconsin for Larry's new job as a professor at the University of Wisconsin.
• Money is tight and Sally is pregnant but they have a strong marriage and are happy in their...
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)