|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first crew member to die?
2. Who does Joyce meet around September, 1942?
3. What does Hamilton do as a result of the events of the tornado?
4. Who dies in November 1940?
5. Why is Mr. Davey punished?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do villagers dislike Joyce?
2. What belief did Hamilton's father hold concerning Christianity and slavery?
3. Describe Mr. Ellis.
4. How is "Crossing the River" written (in what format)?
5. What happens to Joyce's mother?
6. Describe James Hamilton.
7. Describe Joyce's mother.
8. What journey does James Hamilton take?
9. What happened during the tornado in "Crossing the River"?
10. Describe Joyce's life in 1963.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Christianity is a theme that runs throughout each story in Crossing the River. Choose two stories to compare in regards to the way Christianity influences characters. How do the characters' beliefs influence the plot? How do they reconcile their actions with their beliefs? Make sure you name which stories you choose, and use examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In "West," Martha endures significant hardships, but she finds hope in different places. Describe three hardships that Martha has endured, and explain how she endured them. Where did Martha find hope? What gave her solace during these different obstacles?
Essay Topic 3
In "The Pagan Coast," setting is a prominent character in the same way that war is a prominent character in "Somewhere in England." How does setting play a role in "The Pagan Coast," and how does Liberia change in the eyes of the characters throughout the story? What did it represent in the beginning, and what did it represent in the end? How does war play a role in "Somewhere in England"? Describe how these unconventional characters (setting and war) play such significant roles in these stories? How do they influence their respective characters?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)