|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Duke of York set sail from?
2. When does "Somewhere in England" take place?
3. What illegal activity does Len take part in?
4. What is Joyce's third husband's name?
5. What does Hamilton do with the three old women slaves that come aboard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Len get called up for the war?
2. What does Hamilton think of Ellis's ideas on his father's death?
3. What happened during the tornado in "Crossing the River"?
4. What happens to Joyce's mother?
5. Describe Joyce's marriage to Len.
6. What happened to James Hamilton's father?
7. Why do villagers dislike Joyce?
8. What journey does James Hamilton take?
9. Describe Travis.
10. Describe Captain Jackson.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Somewhere in England" focuses mainly on the story of Joyce, but there are some other characters worth focusing on, such as Len, Travis, and Joyce's mother. Each character represents a perspective and influences the outcome of the plot in some form. What representation was the strongest and most significant in the story? What message did the author intend to give through this story? Make sure you use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In contrast to the other sections of Crossing the River, "Somewhere in England" portrays Joyce, a white character, who is victimized by her circumstances and loneliness, while Travis, the main black character, is the one who comforts her and shows worldliness that she craves. Analyze the similarities and differences between Joyce and Travis. How does each influence the other? Who plays the strong, protective role, and who plays the fragile one?
Essay Topic 3
"Somewhere in England" takes place in the years leading up to and during World War II. How does World War II affect the people of England in general? How does it affect Joyce specifically? Compare and contrast Joyce's thoughts on the government and war with that of the villagers and her husband, Len. Make sure you use examples to support your answer, and answer each question thoroughly.
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)