|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Hamilton?
2. Where is Captain Hamilton shipping off to when his trading is done on the coast?
3. What is the stateroom of the ship set up for?
4. What ship does the Duke of York pass when they arrive?
5. What punishment does Mr. Davey receive for misbehaving again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened during the tornado in "Crossing the River"?
2. Describe Joyce's life in 1963.
3. What happens to Joyce and Travis's relationship?
4. Why doesn't Len get called up for the war?
5. Describe James Hamilton.
6. Describe Joyce's marriage to Len.
7. Why doesn't Joyce's mother want her to marry?
8. Why do villagers dislike Joyce?
9. What resulted from Joyce's relationship with Herbert, and how did she deal with it?
10. What journey does James Hamilton take?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Pagan Coast," the American Colonization Society and most white men still consider themselves superior to Africans, whether they are educated or not. In "Somewhere in England," race issues are evident through the villagers' critiques. Compare the race relations in "The Pagan Coast," which takes place in the 1800s, and "Somewhere in England," which takes place in the World War II era. How are they similar and how are they different? Make sure you provide examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
"West" focuses mainly on the story of Martha Randolph, but there are some other characters worth focusing on, such as Chester and other minor characters. Each character represents a perspective and influences the outcome of the plot in some form. What representation was the strongest and most significant in the story? What message did the author intend to give through this story? Make sure you use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In contrast to the other sections of Crossing the River, "Somewhere in England" portrays Joyce, a white character, who is victimized by her circumstances and loneliness, while Travis, the main black character, is the one who comforts her and shows worldliness that she craves. Analyze the similarities and differences between Joyce and Travis. How does each influence the other? Who plays the strong, protective role, and who plays the fragile one?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)