|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time period does "The Pagan Coast" take place in?
2. Where does Martha's friend go?
(a) She goes to New York.
(b) She goes to Utah.
(c) She goes to California.
(d) She goes to Denver, Colorado.
3. How did Martha's boyfriend acquire his home?
(a) He won it in a poker game.
(b) He does not own it.
(c) He inherited it.
(d) He bought it.
4. Which slave does Edward "adopt" first?
(c) Edward, Jr.
5. Which character is first introduced in "The Pagan Coast"?
(a) Amelia Williams.
(b) Madison Williams.
(c) Edward Williams.
(d) Nash Williams
6. What kind of plantation does Edward own?
7. What is Nash's primary occupation circa 1840?
(b) Running a mission school.
8. How does Martha pay for her travel to California?
(a) She steals the money from someone.
(b) She borrows money from her friend.
(c) She saves up the money beforehand.
(d) She cooks and does chores for various people on the train.
9. Why is California such an appealing place to many Americans during this time period?
(a) There are more new opportunities there.
(b) None of the above.
(c) The climate is colder there.
(d) There are many plantations that offer work.
10. What does Edward find when he reaches Nash's settlement?
(a) A successful farm with many crops.
(b) A thriving missionary school.
(c) A successful church run by Nash.
(d) Rusting farm equipment in a riverbank.
11. Where do most slaves who go back to Africa stay?
(d) Sierra Leone.
12. What are the requirements for a slave to be liberated and selected by their master to enter the American Colonization Society's program?
(a) An aptitude for hard labor.
(b) An aptitude for education and Christian values.
(c) Farming skills.
(d) Navigation skills.
13. What river flows to the sea near Monrovia?
(a) The Nile river.
(b) The Liberian river.
(c) The St. Paul's river.
(d) The Monrovia river.
14. Where does Martha's boyfriend live?
(a) He lives in an apartment.
(b) He lives in a store.
(c) He lives in an a cottage.
(d) He lives on a farm.
15. What does the American Colonization Society do?
(a) It fights to abolish slavery.
(b) It puts citizens in office.
(c) It repatriates Christian slaves back to Africa.
(d) It fights for rights for Africans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of occupation does Martha have while in Kansas?
2. Where does Martha start out earlier in life?
3. What is Martha's new boyfriend's occupation?
4. What does Edward think of Nash's request for assistance?
5. How does Nash Williams feel towards the end of "The Pagan Coast"?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)