|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Martha escape?
(a) She wants to go to Europe.
(b) She wants to go to Virginia.
(c) She does not want to endure another slave auction.
(d) She wants to go to Canada.
2. Which slave does Edward "adopt" first?
(a) Edward, Jr.
3. What illness is Edward struck with on his journey to Africa?
(a) The African Fever.
(b) Chicken pox.
(d) A cold.
4. Why is Edward no longer welcome to the American Colonization Society's clubhouse?
(a) He has offended them.
(b) He embarrasses some members.
(c) His reputation has followed him to Africa.
(d) He does not pay the fees required to join their club.
5. Who does Martha fall in love with while in Kansas?
(c) Mr. Randolph.
(d) Mr. Hoffman.
6. Where are the Hoffmans going?
(a) They are going to Colorado.
(b) They are going to California.
(c) They are going to Virginia.
(d) They are going to Kansas.
7. Where do most of Nash's students come from?
(a) From Europe.
(b) From a Congo slaver.
(c) From America.
(d) From a Liberian slaver.
8. What best describes Nash's style of writing?
(a) Erudite and intellectual.
(b) He doesn't write.
9. Who tells Martha about the old master's death?
(d) The new owner.
10. What happens to Martha's friend who she worked with early on?
(a) She moves to New York.
(b) She is killed.
(c) She dies of natural causes.
(d) She falls in love and marries.
11. What happens to many slaves that repatriate to Liberia?
(a) They never arrive.
(b) They succumb to African Fever.
(c) None of the above.
(d) They are murdered.
12. What happens to Martha's boyfriend?
(a) He is killed in a poker dispute.
(b) He is killed in war.
(c) He marries her.
(d) He leaves her.
13. How does Martha try to get to California?
(a) She travels by herself.
(b) She goes with Chester in a wagon.
(c) She travels with her friend.
(d) She finds passage in a wagon of black people.
14. What happens to Nash's first son and first wife?
(a) They die of the African Fever.
(b) They die on the way to Africa.
(c) They are murdered by white settlers.
(d) They survive the African Fever.
15. What is the name of Martha's friend?
(b) Eliza Mae.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Edward Williams born?
2. What happens to Nash's school?
3. How does Nash Williams feel towards the end of "The Pagan Coast"?
4. How many years has Nash been in Liberia?
5. What is Madison Williams's occupation?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)