|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Martha go once her boyfriend is gone?
(a) She goes to Leavenworth.
(b) She goes to Virginia.
(c) She goes to Dodge City, Kansas.
(d) She goes to California.
2. Where was Martha's husband sold?
(a) He was sold to the same plantation as his daughter.
(b) He was sold to a plantation in Kansas.
(c) He was sold to the same plantation as his wife.
(d) He was sold to a place "Downriver."
3. What illness is Edward struck with on his journey to Africa?
(a) Chicken pox.
(b) The African Fever.
(c) A cold.
4. Where do most of Nash's students come from?
(a) From America.
(b) From a Liberian slaver.
(c) From Europe.
(d) From a Congo slaver.
5. What river flows to the sea near Monrovia?
(a) The St. Paul's river.
(b) The Liberian river.
(c) The Monrovia river.
(d) The Nile river.
6. What happens to Edward's wife?
(a) She is kidnapped.
(b) She is murdered.
(c) She is abandoned.
(d) She commits suicide.
7. What happens to Nash's school?
(a) He stops running it.
(b) It burns down.
(c) He sells it.
(d) It thrives, and he adds on another school to accommodate the students.
8. How do the Hoffmans intend to finance their travel?
(a) They intend to finance their travel by paying along the way.
(b) They intend to finance their travel by selling Martha.
(c) They intend to finance their travel by borrowing money.
(d) They intend to finance their travel by saving up the money through their farm.
9. What kind of cabin was Martha left in?
(a) One filled with people.
(b) A luxurious one.
(c) An unheated one.
(d) None of the above.
10. Where is the plantation that Martha is a slave at with her family?
11. What does the mysterious woman intend to do at the end of "West"?
(a) She intends to get Martha some help.
(b) She intends to find Martha's family.
(c) She intends to give Martha a Christian burial.
(d) She intends to leave Martha alone.
12. What Christian missionaries have been trying to steal Nash's converts?
(d) Presbyterians, Methodists, and Baptists.
13. What happens to Martha's friend who she worked with early on?
(a) She moves to New York.
(b) She falls in love and marries.
(c) She is killed.
(d) She dies of natural causes.
14. What happens to many slaves that repatriate to Liberia?
(a) None of the above.
(b) They never arrive.
(c) They are murdered.
(d) They succumb to African Fever.
15. Which slave does Edward "adopt" first?
(d) Edward, Jr.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years has Nash been in Liberia?
2. Who does Edward contact in Africa?
3. How does Edward get to Monrovia from Sierra Leone?
4. Why are things difficult for Nash economically?
5. Why does Martha escape?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)