|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Martha when she is having her flashbacks?
(b) Dodge City, Kansas.
(c) Denver, Colorado.
2. What happens to Martha at the end "West"?
(a) Martha finds her husband.
(b) Martha dies.
(c) Martha finds happiness in California.
(d) Martha finds her daughter.
3. Where does the person who finds Martha in the doorway take her?
(a) To a cabin.
(b) To their own home.
(c) To Denver, Colorado.
(d) To California.
4. Who is the most successful missionary sent to Africa in this story?
5. Who does Edward contact in Africa?
(a) Mr. Grey.
6. What kind of temperament does Edward's wife have?
(a) Thoughtful and quiet.
(b) Unbalanced and conniving.
(c) Passive and shy.
(d) Sweet and demure.
7. How does Nash Williams feel towards the end of "The Pagan Coast"?
(a) He feels triumphant.
(b) He feels content.
(c) He feels bitter and resentful.
(d) He feels joyful.
8. Where are the Hoffmans going?
(a) They are going to Kansas.
(b) They are going to Virginia.
(c) They are going to Colorado.
(d) They are going to California.
9. What does the letter that Edward Williams receives say?
(a) Contact with Nash Williams is lost.
(b) Nash Williams is dead.
(c) Madison Williams is dead.
(d) Amelia Williams is dead.
10. Where do most slaves who go back to Africa stay?
(d) Sierra Leone.
11. What happens to Edward's wife?
(a) She is abandoned.
(b) She commits suicide.
(c) She is murdered.
(d) She is kidnapped.
12. How does Edward get to Monrovia from Sierra Leone?
(a) By boat.
(b) He never gets there.
(c) By post.
(d) By hiking.
13. Why is California such an appealing place to many Americans during this time period?
(a) There are many plantations that offer work.
(b) None of the above.
(c) There are more new opportunities there.
(d) The climate is colder there.
14. What word best describes this kind of travel in that time period?
15. Where does Madison Williams reside?
(a) The United States of America.
(c) The interior of Liberia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Martha's new boyfriend's occupation?
2. Why is Edward no longer welcome to the American Colonization Society's clubhouse?
3. Where does Martha go once her boyfriend is gone?
4. How does Martha endure the journey to California?
5. When does Edward receive the letter from the American Colonization Society?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)