|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Edward feel at the end of "The Pagan Coast"?
(a) He feels content.
(b) He feels jubilant and triumphant.
(c) He feels angry.
(d) He feels speechless and dumbstruck.
2. What is the name of Edward's wife?
(a) Amelia Williams.
(b) Elizabeth Williams.
(c) Lilah Williams.
(d) Joyce Williams.
3. Where does Martha go once her boyfriend is gone?
(a) She goes to Leavenworth.
(b) She goes to California.
(c) She goes to Dodge City, Kansas.
(d) She goes to Virginia.
4. Where does Martha flee to when she escapes?
(c) Dodge City, Kansas.
5. What happens to many slaves that repatriate to Liberia?
(a) They are murdered.
(b) They never arrive.
(c) None of the above.
(d) They succumb to African Fever.
6. What does Edward find out about Nash from Madison?
(a) He dies of the African Fever.
(b) He is never found.
(c) He goes back to America with Edward.
(d) He continues to be a missionary in Africa.
7. What kind of plantation does Edward own?
8. Who tells Martha about the old master's death?
(c) The new owner.
9. Which slave does Edward "adopt" first?
(a) Edward, Jr.
10. Who does Edward hire to run errands for him?
(c) Mr. Grey.
11. Where does Martha start out earlier in life?
(a) The American South.
12. What kind of cabin was Martha left in?
(a) An unheated one.
(b) One filled with people.
(c) None of the above.
(d) A luxurious one.
13. Where does Madison Williams reside?
(b) The United States of America.
(c) The interior of Liberia.
14. What has become of most of the slaves who have repatriated to Monrovia?
(a) They have become successful farmers.
(b) They have become successful missionaries.
(c) They have become lazy and corrupted by vices.
(d) None of the above.
15. Why is California such an appealing place to many Americans during this time period?
(a) None of the above.
(b) There are more new opportunities there.
(c) There are many plantations that offer work.
(d) The climate is colder there.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are things difficult for Nash economically?
2. Why is California such an appealing place to Martha? Choose the best answer.
3. What is Martha's daughter's name?
4. Where does "The Pagan Coast" take place?
5. What word best describes this kind of travel in that time period?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)