|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Edward Williams born?
2. How does Martha endure the journey to California?
(a) She endures it well to the end of the journey.
(b) She endures it strongly.
(c) She gradually becomes weak and sick.
(d) She endures it joyfully.
3. Where are the Hoffmans going?
(a) They are going to Colorado.
(b) They are going to California.
(c) They are going to Kansas.
(d) They are going to Virginia.
4. What Christian missionaries have been trying to steal Nash's converts?
(a) Presbyterians, Methodists, and Baptists.
5. What is Martha's daughter's name?
(a) Eliza Mae.
6. How many conversions to Christianity is Nash responsible for?
7. What is going on in California during this time period?
(a) The California Gold Rush.
(c) A depression.
(d) World War II.
8. What happens to the plantation once the new owner takes control of it?
(a) The plantation fails.
(b) The plantation is liquidated.
(c) The plantation is revitalized.
(d) The plantation is destroyed.
9. Who buys Martha after her master dies?
(a) Mr. Randolph.
(c) Mr. Hoffman.
10. Why is California such an appealing place to Martha? Choose the best answer.
(a) She wants to start fresh with new opportunities.
(b) She hopes to find her husband there.
(c) She wants to see her friend.
(d) She thinks she will find her daughter there.
11. Why is California such an appealing place to many Americans during this time period?
(a) There are many plantations that offer work.
(b) The climate is colder there.
(c) There are more new opportunities there.
(d) None of the above.
12. What happens to Martha at the end "West"?
(a) Martha dies.
(b) Martha finds happiness in California.
(c) Martha finds her daughter.
(d) Martha finds her husband.
13. Where do most slaves who go back to Africa stay?
(a) Sierra Leone.
14. Where is the plantation that Martha is a slave at with her family?
15. Who is the main character of the story "West"?
(b) Martha Randolph.
(c) Eliza Mae.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Edward feel at the end of "The Pagan Coast"?
2. What does the letter that Edward Williams receives say?
3. How does Edward get to Monrovia from Sierra Leone?
4. Who does Edward hire to run errands for him?
5. What best describes Nash's style of writing?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)