|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What best describes Nash's style of writing?
(b) Erudite and intellectual.
(d) He doesn't write.
2. Why is California such an appealing place to many Americans during this time period?
(a) There are more new opportunities there.
(b) None of the above.
(c) The climate is colder there.
(d) There are many plantations that offer work.
3. What is the name of Edward's wife?
(a) Lilah Williams.
(b) Elizabeth Williams.
(c) Amelia Williams.
(d) Joyce Williams.
4. What happens to Martha's family after the new owner takes control of the plantation?
(a) They are sold to different owners.
(b) They die.
(c) They escape to California.
(d) They go with Martha.
5. Where is Martha when she is having her flashbacks?
(c) Dodge City, Kansas.
(d) Denver, Colorado.
6. How do the Hoffmans intend to finance their travel?
(a) They intend to finance their travel by paying along the way.
(b) They intend to finance their travel by saving up the money through their farm.
(c) They intend to finance their travel by borrowing money.
(d) They intend to finance their travel by selling Martha.
7. What happens six weeks into the journey to California?
(a) The wagon breaks down.
(b) The wagon master has to abandon Martha.
(c) They are gunned down.
(d) They arrive in California.
8. How does Edward feel at the end of "The Pagan Coast"?
(a) He feels speechless and dumbstruck.
(b) He feels angry.
(c) He feels jubilant and triumphant.
(d) He feels content.
9. What time period did most of "West" take place in?
10. What does the American Colonization Society recognize as a secondary benefit of their program?
(a) Abolishing slavery.
(b) Bringing the word of the Gospel to heathens.
(c) Getting rid of slaves to relieve social stress in the United States.
(d) Bringing western civilization to Liberia.
11. What Christian missionaries have been trying to steal Nash's converts?
(a) Presbyterians, Methodists, and Baptists.
12. Which slave does Edward "adopt" first?
(b) Edward, Jr.
13. Who is Martha's master/owner when she is with her first husband?
(c) Mr. Hoffman.
(d) Mr. Randolph.
14. Who is Martha's first husband?
(c) Mr. Hoffman.
15. How does Nash Williams feel towards the end of "The Pagan Coast"?
(a) He feels content.
(b) He feels joyful.
(c) He feels bitter and resentful.
(d) He feels triumphant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Martha's friend who she worked with early on?
2. What happens to Nash's first son and first wife?
3. What does Edward think of Nash's request for assistance?
4. Where does Martha's boyfriend live?
5. Where does Madison Williams reside?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)