|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 1 "The Pagan Coast".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the American Colonization Society recognize as a secondary benefit of their program?
(a) Bringing western civilization to Liberia.
(b) Abolishing slavery.
(c) Getting rid of slaves to relieve social stress in the United States.
(d) Bringing the word of the Gospel to heathens.
2. What happens to many slaves that repatriate to Liberia?
(a) They never arrive.
(b) They are murdered.
(c) They succumb to African Fever.
(d) None of the above.
3. What is Nash's primary occupation circa 1840?
(b) Running a mission school.
4. Why is Edward no longer welcome to the American Colonization Society's clubhouse?
(a) He has offended them.
(b) His reputation has followed him to Africa.
(c) He does not pay the fees required to join their club.
(d) He embarrasses some members.
5. What best describes Nash's style of writing?
(c) Erudite and intellectual.
(d) He doesn't write.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the African Fever?
2. Who does Edward hire to run errands for him?
3. Which slave does Edward "adopt" first?
4. What has become of most of the slaves who have repatriated to Monrovia?
5. What are the requirements for a slave to be liberated and selected by their master to enter the American Colonization Society's program?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)