|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who/what does Billy find when he arrives at the Munoz house again?
2. Where do Billy, Boyd, and the young girl stay for awhile?
3. How long does Billy work without seeing anyone?
4. According to the army recruiter, one in ___________ boys who sign up for the military are not yet 18.
5. What does the border guard tell Billy when he crosses back into the U.S.?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Billy search for Boyd and what does he learn about his brother?
2. How does Boyd begin to attain the role of a folk hero?
3. What does the dog symbolize for Billy?
4. What does Billy's jealousy of Boyd's relationship with the girl prompt Billy to tell the girl?
5. Describe the dog that tries to share the barn with Billy to escape the rain.
6. What does the woman who reads Billy's palm tell him?
7. What are the circumstances in which Billy meets the gypsies?
8. What does Billy do when he arrives in Deming and who shows Billy kindness?
9. Who does Billy visit before setting off on another long trip?
10. Describe the altercation Billy has with some bandits as he travels with Boyd's body.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Billy Parham. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
Essay Topic 3
THE CROSSING is written in the Western genre. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,355 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)