|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the man in the bar get his scars?
2. Who does Billy visit before heading back to Mexico?
3. What does the animal represent for Billy?
4. What meal does Billy eat at the diner the second time?
5. What does a girl in the young girl's hometown tell Billy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What physical defect disqualifies Billy from enlisting in the army?
2. What does Billy's jealousy of Boyd's relationship with the girl prompt Billy to tell the girl?
3. What are the circumstances in which Boyd gets shot?
4. Who does Billy visit before setting off on another long trip?
5. What do Billy and Boyd do when they find some of the horses that were stolen from their ranch?
6. What does the woman who reads Billy's palm tell him?
7. Describe the altercation Billy has with some bandits as he travels with Boyd's body.
8. Describe the dog that tries to share the barn with Billy to escape the rain.
9. What does Billy do when he arrives in Deming and who shows Billy kindness?
10. With what group does Billy find work and what does he do with his first paycheck?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book THE CROSSING? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Nature takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,278 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)