|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy give Boyd to drink before the doctor operates?
2. What does the army recruiter give to Billy and the other boys?
3. What is the name of the horse that Mr. Parham used to ride?
4. What is in the cart that the gypsies are pulling?
5. What new item does Billy have with him for this trip into Mexico?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprise decision does Boyd make as he is healing?
2. How does Billy finally obtain papers of ownership for the stolen horses?
3. Where does Billy search for Boyd and what does he learn about his brother?
4. What does the dog symbolize for Billy?
5. What does the woman who reads Billy's palm tell him?
6. What do Billy and Boyd do when they find some of the horses that were stolen from their ranch?
7. Who does Billy visit before setting off on another long trip?
8. Describe the dog that tries to share the barn with Billy to escape the rain.
9. What does Billy's jealousy of Boyd's relationship with the girl prompt Billy to tell the girl?
10. How does Boyd begin to attain the role of a folk hero?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Billy Parham. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Mr. Sanders. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Sanders' character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
McCarthy is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,258 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)