|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only way Billy can join the military at his age?
2. Toward what city does Billy ride after crossing the border?
3. How is Billy's horse wounded in the encounter with some rogue riders?
4. What does the man in charge of the herd of horses give to Billy?
5. In Billy's dream, what does Boyd reply when Billy asks him what it's like to be dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are some of the people in a bar mad at Billy without even knowing him?
2. What help does Billy secure for the wounded Boyd?
3. How does the author show what Billy is thinking in this story?
4. What are the circumstances in which Billy meets the gypsies?
5. Where does Billy finally bury Boyd?
6. What does Billy do when he arrives in Deming and who shows Billy kindness?
7. What obstacles does Billy have when he tries to enlist in the army?
8. What does the dog symbolize for Billy?
9. How does Boyd begin to attain the role of a folk hero?
10. How does Billy finally obtain papers of ownership for the stolen horses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
McCarthy is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Mr. Sanders. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Sanders' character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two examples about greed in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of greed.
This section contains 1,377 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)