|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Billy and Boyd approached by a gang of men?
2. In what city does Billy try to enter the army a second time?
3. What kind of animal joins Billy as he seeks shelter from the rain?
4. Who/what does Billy find when he arrives at the Munoz house again?
5. How much money does Billy send to Mr. Sanders after his first payday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the dream that Billy has about Boyd?
2. Where does Billy finally bury Boyd?
3. Who does Billy visit before setting off on another long trip?
4. With what group does Billy find work and what does he do with his first paycheck?
5. What does Billy's jealousy of Boyd's relationship with the girl prompt Billy to tell the girl?
6. What surprise decision does Boyd make as he is healing?
7. Where does Billy search for Boyd and what does he learn about his brother?
8. What does the dog symbolize for Billy?
9. What obstacles does Billy have when he tries to enlist in the army?
10. What name does Billy use when he signs the army enlistment form?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of doing the right thing. Identify at least two examples about doing the right thing in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of doing the right thing.
Essay Topic 3
Nature takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,188 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)