|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The waitress gives Billy a free meal of __________________.
2. Where do Billy, Boyd, and the young girl stay for awhile?
3. What does the blind man's wife prepare for Billy to eat?
4. Who/what does Billy find when he arrives at the Munoz house again?
5. Toward what city does Billy ride after crossing the border?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Billy's jealousy of Boyd's relationship with the girl prompt Billy to tell the girl?
2. Why are some of the people in a bar mad at Billy without even knowing him?
3. How does Boyd begin to attain the role of a folk hero?
4. How can Boyd's emerging folk hero status be considered a form of foreshadowing?
5. What surprise decision does Boyd make as he is healing?
6. How do Billy, Boyd and the young girl survive over the next few days and what is their ultimate arrangement?
7. What does Billy learn about how Boyd died?
8. What physical defect disqualifies Billy from enlisting in the army?
9. Describe the dog that tries to share the barn with Billy to escape the rain.
10. What are the circumstances in which Boyd gets shot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the symbolism of the light turning rapidly from noon to dusk for Billy. What was the author's intent by painting this image? What message does McCarthy hope to leave for the reader in such symbolism?
Essay Topic 2
Explain McCarthy's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)