|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is tending more of the Parhams' horses when Billy and Boyd find them?
2. What name does Billy sign on his army induction form?
3. What does the border guard tell Billy when he crosses back into the U.S.?
4. What does the man who had once given the boys permission to take the horses tell Billy?
5. What does a girl in the young girl's hometown tell Billy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Billy, Boyd and the young girl survive over the next few days and what is their ultimate arrangement?
2. What are the circumstances in which Boyd gets shot?
3. What are the circumstances in which Billy meets the gypsies?
4. What sort of life direction does the border guard give Billy?
5. What does Billy learn about how Boyd died?
6. What name does Billy use when he signs the army enlistment form?
7. How does Boyd begin to attain the role of a folk hero?
8. What is Boyd's condition when Billy returns to get him at the Munoz farm?
9. How does Billy finally obtain papers of ownership for the stolen horses?
10. Who does Billy visit before setting off on another long trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Billy's life. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Billy Parham. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two examples about greed in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of greed.
This section contains 1,302 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)