|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What healing concoction do the gypsies give the horse?
2. The waitress gives Billy a free meal of __________________.
3. Where does Billy cross the border back into the United States?
4. What does Billy do with Boyd's body when he finds it?
5. Who does Billy visit before heading back to Mexico?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of doing the right thing. Identify at least two examples about doing the right thing in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of doing the right thing.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Boyd Parham. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
Essay Topic 3
McCarthy uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)