|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who/what does Billy find when he arrives at the Munoz house again?
2. How is Billy's horse wounded in the encounter with some rogue riders?
3. What is the name of the horse that Mr. Parham used to ride?
4. What does the girl reply when Billy tells her about Boyd's dead twin sister.
5. Why does the leader of the bandits berate one of his men?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author show what Billy is thinking in this story?
2. What name does Billy use when he signs the army enlistment form?
3. How do Billy, Boyd and the young girl survive over the next few days and what is their ultimate arrangement?
4. What does Billy do when he finds Boyd's grave?
5. How does Billy finally obtain papers of ownership for the stolen horses?
6. What are the circumstances in which Boyd gets shot?
7. What does the woman who reads Billy's palm tell him?
8. How can Boyd's emerging folk hero status be considered a form of foreshadowing?
9. What does Billy do when he arrives in Deming and who shows Billy kindness?
10. With what group does Billy find work and what does he do with his first paycheck?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Mr. Sanders. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Sanders' character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Billy's life. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
This section contains 1,242 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)