|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What healing concoction do the gypsies give the horse?
2. What meal does Billy eat at the diner the second time?
3. What is the only way Billy can join the military at his age?
4. Who is tending more of the Parhams' horses when Billy and Boyd find them?
5. What does Boyd loan the young girl before they leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Billy's jealousy of Boyd's relationship with the girl prompt Billy to tell the girl?
2. How do Billy, Boyd and the young girl survive over the next few days and what is their ultimate arrangement?
3. How does the author show what Billy is thinking in this story?
4. Describe the altercation Billy has with some bandits as he travels with Boyd's body.
5. What is the dream that Billy has about Boyd?
6. What do Billy and Boyd do when they find some of the horses that were stolen from their ranch?
7. What sort of life direction does the border guard give Billy?
8. What are the circumstances in which Billy meets the gypsies?
9. What are the circumstances in which Boyd gets shot?
10. What help does Billy secure for the wounded Boyd?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two examples about greed in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of greed.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Boyd Parham. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
This section contains 1,263 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)