|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Billy go to sleep off a hangover after leaving the cantina?
2. What is the only way Billy can join the military at his age?
3. What fact about Boyd does Billy tell the girl?
4. The young girl tells Billy that her grandmother had been married and widowed __________ times by the age of 20.
5. What affliction does the animal seem to have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Billy's jealousy of Boyd's relationship with the girl prompt Billy to tell the girl?
2. What does Billy do when he arrives in Deming and who shows Billy kindness?
3. How does the author show what Billy is thinking in this story?
4. Where does Billy finally bury Boyd?
5. What does Billy learn about how Boyd died?
6. What is Boyd's condition when Billy returns to get him at the Munoz farm?
7. Why does the army recruiter seem to take a special interest in Billy?
8. Describe the altercation Billy has with some bandits as he travels with Boyd's body.
9. What obstacles does Billy have when he tries to enlist in the army?
10. Why are some of the people in a bar mad at Billy without even knowing him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the symbolism of the light turning rapidly from noon to dusk for Billy. What was the author's intent by painting this image? What message does McCarthy hope to leave for the reader in such symbolism?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Boyd Parham. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
This section contains 1,425 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)