|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is tending more of the Parhams' horses when Billy and Boyd find them?
2. What does the girl reply when Billy tells her about Boyd's dead twin sister.
3. What healing concoction do the gypsies give the horse?
4. How does Billy try to help the wounded horse?
5. Who does Billy visit before heading back to Mexico?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the dog that tries to share the barn with Billy to escape the rain.
2. What are the circumstances in which Billy meets the gypsies?
3. What name does Billy use when he signs the army enlistment form?
4. How can Boyd's emerging folk hero status be considered a form of foreshadowing?
5. Describe the altercation Billy has with some bandits as he travels with Boyd's body.
6. How does Billy finally obtain papers of ownership for the stolen horses?
7. Why does the army recruiter seem to take a special interest in Billy?
8. What do Billy and Boyd do when they find some of the horses that were stolen from their ranch?
9. What does Billy learn about how Boyd died?
10. How do Billy, Boyd and the young girl survive over the next few days and what is their ultimate arrangement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
McCarthy uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
THE CROSSING is a classic coming of age novel. What does this classification entail? Explain why THE CROSSING fits into this category.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
This section contains 1,282 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)