|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Billy sign on his army induction form?
2. What does Billy offer the doctor as payment for Boyd's care?
3. What does the doctor's servant return to the farm where the Parham boys are staying the next day?
4. What does Billy do with Boyd's body when he finds it?
5. What does the man in charge of the herd of horses give to Billy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Billy learn about how Boyd died?
2. How does Boyd begin to attain the role of a folk hero?
3. How does Billy finally obtain papers of ownership for the stolen horses?
4. What does the dog symbolize for Billy?
5. Why does the army recruiter seem to take a special interest in Billy?
6. What physical defect disqualifies Billy from enlisting in the army?
7. Who does Billy visit before setting off on another long trip?
8. Describe the dog that tries to share the barn with Billy to escape the rain.
9. What help does Billy secure for the wounded Boyd?
10. What name does Billy use when he signs the army enlistment form?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nature takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 3
McCarthy uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)