|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the army recruiter give to Billy and the other boys?
2. What does the young girl want to do?
3. Where does Billy go after his failed army entry attempts?
4. How was the man blinded?
5. What kind of animal joins Billy as he seeks shelter from the rain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Billy visit before setting off on another long trip?
2. What does the woman who reads Billy's palm tell him?
3. How do Billy, Boyd and the young girl survive over the next few days and what is their ultimate arrangement?
4. Where does Billy finally bury Boyd?
5. How can Boyd's emerging folk hero status be considered a form of foreshadowing?
6. What obstacles does Billy have when he tries to enlist in the army?
7. How does the author show what Billy is thinking in this story?
8. What sort of life direction does the border guard give Billy?
9. What are the circumstances in which Billy meets the gypsies?
10. What physical defect disqualifies Billy from enlisting in the army?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Mr. Sanders. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Sanders' character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
McCarthy is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Boyd Parham. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
This section contains 1,224 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)