|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man who had once given the boys permission to take the horses tell Billy?
2. What does the army recruiter give to Billy and the other boys?
3. What name does Billy sign on his army induction form?
4. The waitress gives Billy a free meal of __________________.
5. Where does Billy go to sleep off a hangover after leaving the cantina?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the dog symbolize for Billy?
2. Why are some of the people in a bar mad at Billy without even knowing him?
3. What do Billy and Boyd do when they find some of the horses that were stolen from their ranch?
4. What is the dream that Billy has about Boyd?
5. How can Boyd's emerging folk hero status be considered a form of foreshadowing?
6. What sort of life direction does the border guard give Billy?
7. How does Boyd begin to attain the role of a folk hero?
8. Describe the dog that tries to share the barn with Billy to escape the rain.
9. What are the circumstances in which Billy meets the gypsies?
10. Where does Billy finally bury Boyd?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two examples about greed in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of greed.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the symbolism of the light turning rapidly from noon to dusk for Billy. What was the author's intent by painting this image? What message does McCarthy hope to leave for the reader in such symbolism?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Boyd Parham. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
This section contains 1,206 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)