|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy tell the stranger about Boyd?
2. What affliction does the animal seem to have?
3. What happens to one of the men who approach Billy and Boyd and engage in a melee?
4. Where does Billy go after his failed army entry attempts?
5. What meal does Billy eat at the diner the second time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What obstacles does Billy have when he tries to enlist in the army?
2. What physical defect disqualifies Billy from enlisting in the army?
3. What does Billy do when he finds Boyd's grave?
4. What does Billy do when he arrives in Deming and who shows Billy kindness?
5. What sort of life direction does the border guard give Billy?
6. Who does Billy visit before setting off on another long trip?
7. What name does Billy use when he signs the army enlistment form?
8. What do Billy and Boyd do when they find some of the horses that were stolen from their ranch?
9. How do Billy, Boyd and the young girl survive over the next few days and what is their ultimate arrangement?
10. Why are some of the people in a bar mad at Billy without even knowing him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two examples about greed in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of greed.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of doing the right thing. Identify at least two examples about doing the right thing in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of doing the right thing.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)