|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Billy work without seeing anyone?
2. What affliction does the animal seem to have?
3. The woman who gives food to Billy also reads his palm and tells him about __________________.
4. What does the army recruiter give to Billy and the other boys?
5. Where does Billy cross the border back into the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Billy's jealousy of Boyd's relationship with the girl prompt Billy to tell the girl?
2. What help does Billy secure for the wounded Boyd?
3. What does Billy do when he finds Boyd's grave?
4. What surprise decision does Boyd make as he is healing?
5. Who does Billy visit before setting off on another long trip?
6. What is the dream that Billy has about Boyd?
7. What is Boyd's condition when Billy returns to get him at the Munoz farm?
8. Where does Billy search for Boyd and what does he learn about his brother?
9. How does Boyd begin to attain the role of a folk hero?
10. What does the woman who reads Billy's palm tell him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain McCarthy's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the symbolism of the light turning rapidly from noon to dusk for Billy. What was the author's intent by painting this image? What message does McCarthy hope to leave for the reader in such symbolism?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)