|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drink does Billy refuse to drink?
2. The young girl tells Billy that her grandmother had been married and widowed __________ times by the age of 20.
3. What does Billy learn when he returns to the home of the doctor?
4. What drink does the Mexican man refuse to drink?
5. Where does Billy cross the border back into the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Billy visit before setting off on another long trip?
2. What does Billy's jealousy of Boyd's relationship with the girl prompt Billy to tell the girl?
3. What is the dream that Billy has about Boyd?
4. Describe the dog that tries to share the barn with Billy to escape the rain.
5. How does the author show what Billy is thinking in this story?
6. What obstacles does Billy have when he tries to enlist in the army?
7. How do Billy, Boyd and the young girl survive over the next few days and what is their ultimate arrangement?
8. What do Billy and Boyd do when they find some of the horses that were stolen from their ranch?
9. Why does the army recruiter seem to take a special interest in Billy?
10. What help does Billy secure for the wounded Boyd?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE CROSSING is a classic coming of age novel. What does this classification entail? Explain why THE CROSSING fits into this category.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the symbolism of the light turning rapidly from noon to dusk for Billy. What was the author's intent by painting this image? What message does McCarthy hope to leave for the reader in such symbolism?
Essay Topic 3
McCarthy uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
This section contains 1,295 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)