|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only way Billy can join the military at his age?
2. What is the name of the horse that Mr. Parham used to ride?
3. What reason does the doctor give for Billy's not being able to join the military?
4. What does Boyd loan the young girl before they leave?
5. What affliction does the animal seem to have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances in which Boyd gets shot?
2. What obstacles does Billy have when he tries to enlist in the army?
3. Who does Billy visit before setting off on another long trip?
4. What is the dream that Billy has about Boyd?
5. What is Boyd's condition when Billy returns to get him at the Munoz farm?
6. What sort of life direction does the border guard give Billy?
7. Why does the army recruiter seem to take a special interest in Billy?
8. Why are some of the people in a bar mad at Billy without even knowing him?
9. What does Billy's jealousy of Boyd's relationship with the girl prompt Billy to tell the girl?
10. What are the circumstances in which Billy meets the gypsies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the symbolism of the light turning rapidly from noon to dusk for Billy. What was the author's intent by painting this image? What message does McCarthy hope to leave for the reader in such symbolism?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,306 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)