|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Billy and Boyd approached by a gang of men?
2. How was the man blinded?
3. What does Billy tell Mr. Sanders that his plans are now?
4. What drink does Billy refuse to drink?
5. Where do Billy, Boyd, and the young girl stay for awhile?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances in which Billy meets the gypsies?
2. Describe the altercation Billy has with some bandits as he travels with Boyd's body.
3. What obstacles does Billy have when he tries to enlist in the army?
4. What does Billy learn about how Boyd died?
5. Where does Billy finally bury Boyd?
6. What does the dog symbolize for Billy?
7. What physical defect disqualifies Billy from enlisting in the army?
8. What is the dream that Billy has about Boyd?
9. Where does Billy search for Boyd and what does he learn about his brother?
10. What sort of life direction does the border guard give Billy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of doing the right thing. Identify at least two examples about doing the right thing in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of doing the right thing.
Essay Topic 2
McCarthy uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does McCarthy use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,306 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)