|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Billy when he goes to the army recruiting station?
2. Why are some men in the bar angry at Billy?
3. What happens to Boyd as he attempts to round up some of the horses?
4. What does Billy do the morning after he sleeps in the barn?
5. How does Billy try to help the wounded horse?
Essay Topic 1
Nature takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the symbolism of the light turning rapidly from noon to dusk for Billy. What was the author's intent by painting this image? What message does McCarthy hope to leave for the reader in such symbolism?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of doing the right thing. Identify at least two examples about doing the right thing in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of doing the right thing.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)