|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Billy sign on his army induction form?
2. What does a girl in the young girl's hometown tell Billy?
3. What does Billy offer the doctor as payment for Boyd's care?
4. Who had packed Boyd's wounds with herbs?
5. What does Billy tell the stranger about Boyd?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the dog that tries to share the barn with Billy to escape the rain.
2. Describe the altercation Billy has with some bandits as he travels with Boyd's body.
3. What does Billy's jealousy of Boyd's relationship with the girl prompt Billy to tell the girl?
4. What does Billy learn about how Boyd died?
5. What are the circumstances in which Billy meets the gypsies?
6. What name does Billy use when he signs the army enlistment form?
7. What do Billy and Boyd do when they find some of the horses that were stolen from their ranch?
8. Where does Billy finally bury Boyd?
9. What does Billy do when he arrives in Deming and who shows Billy kindness?
10. How do Billy, Boyd and the young girl survive over the next few days and what is their ultimate arrangement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 2
Nature takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does McCarthy use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,345 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)