|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Toward what city does Billy ride after crossing the border?
2. What does the border guard tell Billy when he crosses back into the U.S.?
3. Where does Billy cross the border back into the United States?
4. What do the children in the barn say about Billy the next morning?
5. What does Billy do while sitting on the roadway?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Billy search for Boyd and what does he learn about his brother?
2. What does Billy do when he finds Boyd's grave?
3. Describe the altercation Billy has with some bandits as he travels with Boyd's body.
4. What do Billy and Boyd do when they find some of the horses that were stolen from their ranch?
5. What does Billy's jealousy of Boyd's relationship with the girl prompt Billy to tell the girl?
6. What are the circumstances in which Billy meets the gypsies?
7. What does the woman who reads Billy's palm tell him?
8. What does Billy do when he arrives in Deming and who shows Billy kindness?
9. Why are some of the people in a bar mad at Billy without even knowing him?
10. How does Boyd begin to attain the role of a folk hero?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mr. Parham. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Nature takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Billy's life. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
This section contains 1,426 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)