|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy plan to do after daylight?
2. What are Billy and Boyd pulling when they encounter an Indian?
3. What do Billy and Boyd see in the Mexican town of Morelos?
4. What does the rancher's wife give to Billy before he continues his trip?
5. The girl at El Tigre invites Billy in for a meal of __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Billy manage to survive after he buries the wolf?
2. What does Billy do with the dead wolf?
3. What role does the dog play in the story and what does it come to symbolize?
4. How does Billy reunite with Boyd and how do they escape?
5. What happens when the wolf gets free of her muzzle?
6. Why does Billy set a wolf trap in the vaqueros' smoldering campfire?
7. What eventually happens to the wolf?
8. What has made the wolf leave her home in Mexico to roam in the United States?
9. What are Billy's thoughts when he sees the wolf caught in the trap at the campfire?
10. Describe the boys' encounter with an Indian while they are out gathering wood one day.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does McCarthy use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Explain McCarthy's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
McCarthy is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)