|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Billy encounters a man in a Model T car, what type of animal does Billy imply he is hunting?
2. What does Billy do at the Mexican border?
3. What does Billy note about his father when he rides out the next day?
4. How old is Boyd when Billy encounters the wolf?
5. What do the Indians do when they see Billy and Boyd?
Short Essay Questions
1. Cite some examples that point out the relationship between Billy and Boyd.
2. How does Billy manage to survive after he buries the wolf?
3. How much of Billy's decision not to return home is a conscious decision?
4. Describe the process of preparing and setting the traps.
5. Describe the boys' encounter with an Indian while they are out gathering wood one day.
6. What are Mr. Parham's instructions for Billy when he heads out to check the wolf traps?
7. What trouble waits for Billy after crossing the river with the wolf who can't swim because of being muzzled?
8. When is the last time that Billy sees his father?
9. How does Billy choose to go to Mexico instead of returning home?
10. How does the old Indian foreshadow Billy's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does McCarthy use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two examples about greed in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of greed.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Mr. Parham. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)