|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Mr. Sanderson's ranch?
2. What tribe of Indians do Billy and Boyd encounter?
3. When Billy shoots a ___________, he and the wolf eat the entire thing.
4. What does the man in Casas Grandes say that Boyd believes?
5. What does Billy go off alone to do after some instruction from his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Cite some examples that point out the relationship between Billy and Boyd.
2. How does Billy choose to go to Mexico instead of returning home?
3. What has made the wolf leave her home in Mexico to roam in the United States?
4. What happens when the wolf gets free of her muzzle?
5. What life lesson does Billy learn when he visits the old man to talk about trapping?
6. Describe the process of preparing and setting the traps.
7. Under what circumstances do the boys encounter the young girl?
8. How does Billy manage to survive after he buries the wolf?
9. How does Billy reunite with Boyd and how do they escape?
10. Where does Billy stop with the wolf on the way to Mexico and what care is provided for them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nature takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of doing the right thing. Identify at least two examples about doing the right thing in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of doing the right thing.
Essay Topic 3
Explain McCarthy's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 1,291 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)