|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the boys see a little bit later on the same road?
2. Who does Billy encounter later in the day and join for a meal?
3. What does the old man's caregiver warn Billy about?
4. What does the rancher's wife ask one of the ranch hands to do?
5. What is the name of Mr. Sanderson's ranch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Billy set a wolf trap in the vaqueros' smoldering campfire?
2. What has made the wolf leave her home in Mexico to roam in the United States?
3. How do Billy and Boyd discuss their parents' murders?
4. How does the old Indian foreshadow Billy's life?
5. What do the men want from Billy and how does he respond to their demands?
6. Where does Billy stop with the wolf on the way to Mexico and what care is provided for them?
7. What role does the dog play in the story and what does it come to symbolize?
8. What does Billy do with the dead wolf?
9. Describe the boys' encounter with an Indian while they are out gathering wood one day.
10. How does Billy reunite with Boyd and how do they escape?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Boyd Parham. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Mr. Sanders. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Sanders' character in the novel?
This section contains 1,217 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)