|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Boyd when Billy encounters the wolf?
2. Why do Billy and Boyd veer off the road?
3. What do the men do with the wolf?
4. What does Billy tell the man about the horses?
5. Who is Billy Parham?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Billy manages to subdue the wolf.
2. What does Billy find when he returns home?
3. What eventually happens to the wolf?
4. When do the boys first learn about the wolf?
5. Cite some examples that point out the relationship between Billy and Boyd.
6. What happens when the wolf gets free of her muzzle?
7. Where does Billy stop with the wolf on the way to Mexico and what care is provided for them?
8. How does Billy provide food and water for the wolf on the trip?
9. What does Billy do with the dead wolf?
10. How does the old Indian foreshadow Billy's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mr. Parham. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
McCarthy is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,239 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)